Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm new and enjoying the game but I want to be stupid and blow my tutorial/new person funbux on an Atlas, how poor of an idea is this, I'm okay with being slow, I just want to hit guys real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Don't use LRMs.

Oh yeah, so far the only time they've been any fun was playing that really dumb trial mech kintaro, just because it was kind of a funny novelty to basically be an overengineered missile truck and kill people worse than me. Other than that I've mostly been using the trial medium guy I keep forgetting the name of, he's humanoid shaped and has a bunch of lasers around his fists, looks sort of like he's holding his guns, that's been pretty fun to fart around with. But yeah after looking at junk some more, I like the look of Timberwolf's stuff while still being interested in my big dumb Atlas, so it's probably gonna come down to one of them soon if not both eventually.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 1, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

So if I was gonna buy a Timberwolf, which of these suckers do I want? I sure like the look of all that poo poo strapped onto Prime, but I don't wanna get him and have fallen into some kind of trap from not knowing my stuff.

Orion IIC also looks cool since it's been mentioned but the OP said they were crap, has that changed or does some kind of gimmick loadout make them good?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

The orion iic-a is a great mech. Jam a 360 and 4 srm6 with an lbx20 and go to town.

Neat, might end up grabbing that then, so far it's really been heavies that have felt the most fun for me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

The Orion-IIC-A is hands down the best heavy brawler in the game right now. Let me know if you have any build problems or questions.

I grabbed him and have been enjoying it a bunch so far, the spread of weapon types is cool and I feel like I'm never super worthless at any range, throw LRMs while I'm making my way in, laser guys at medium range, rocket the hell out of people up close, though I guess biggest question is what do I use the purse gun under my arm for? I might be doing something wrong but it never seems like it's doing a whole lot, whereas the thing that the trial Orion and Atlas have at least looks like a big rear end slug of hurt. Which additionally, I did also get an Atlas (AS7-S) like I wanted to at first, which has been a bunch of fun to insta-nuke babby mechs with, that and it feels like I'm being forced to learn things or die super hard with him which is a thing I sort of enjoy.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 6, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I mean I'm doing aaaanything at least, gives me a button to hit while I close in :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

lwoodio posted:

Sometimes you just have to stand around doing nothing but hiding. Don't turn an amazing brawler into a turd just because you are inpatient.

I know what to replace it with now though so it should be fine soon, meant just while I was still tooling with the default junk it comes with.

Very late update, first match after retooling my Orion IIC-A to that one smurfy build you guys gave me.

This poo poo owns, even ran my missiles dry right at the end from alpha striking guys in the face.

Also I guess why not ask, would it be alright to ask to join GIRL? In-game name's BrotherlyLove.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 6, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Haha yeah, sorry I forgot to paste the actual build for the Orion, you were not supposed to use it stock, happy to see you like it.
Join the discord that is in the OP and message swiller of beer for a GIRL invite (or BeefSupreme for a WoL invite).

Can do, but yeah I've been enjoying that thing a whole lot, way more than any of the trials or anything.

Really one of my only semi-worries before I started was that looking around I'd just heard a ton about laser vomit, which Iunno, lasers are cool but I'm glad I got recommended/picked up a dude where I can just run up on someone and blast their rear end off instead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I just got on and got a free 2 million spacebux and a neat clan speaker to stick in my cockpit, where'd that come from? Not complaining obviously but google wasn't giving me anything.

Axetrain posted:

Every couple of weeks they run an event with bonus missions that award various prizes like c-bills/mechs/premium time/etc. I actually think they are pretty great, I have lots of stuff from them I wouldn't have otherwise had and it gives me a reason to play.

Neato, logging in to check it, I'm just about there on the assault stuff too. :toot:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 7, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also might as well ask so I don't blow my bills on something possibly outdated, I got my Orion IIC-A all decked out now, but I'd like to fix my AS7-S up next, is this build still about what I should be aiming for?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Went with that 'One True Build' I posted asking about after seeing some of the talk on it, I can dig it after a handful of matches with it now. Also to the thought of Atlas just not being great right now on mobility, that's probably true but he's just my novelty big boy anyway, even getting embarrassingly shot up for going into bad situations half the time, I've still enjoyed the other times of slow rolling up on guys and vaporizing light enough targets while twisting like mad. That and once or twice now I've actually gotten groups of my team to follow in behind my charges and it's cool to half-assed lead pubbies on the warpath and win.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also since I now have an assault and heavy I like and they're decked out, what should I be grabbing for a light? The OP info sure talked up the Arctic Cheetah, that still a choice tinyman to go fast with?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also random question but what's people's obsession with the snow maps, they win like 9 times out of 10 and some of them are just super boring massive open fields.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Another sort of build question here, so after finding out about the event and doing all those challenges for loads of spacecash and cool trinkets, I managed to finalize the stuff I needed on that ON1-IIC-A build. I had all the arms and junk but that clan XL engine 360 was too pricey at first so I was running around with it's stock one which felt fine for my dumb babby level for the time being, I bought that now and 4/4'd it's heatsinks and everything, but I wanted to ask about the armor values shown on that page because it's kind of off from how I've got it, but mine looks better?

Here's the build again I'm running.

Then here's the actual screen for how I've got him kitted.

I guess I'm asking if I'm missing some tiny gear somewhere, because I don't see why I would need to take my legs down to 55 each or my dead right arm down even further, when it would seemingly not actually make room for anything else to replace that tonnage. The answer is probably gonna be something I'm overthinking like the point values on him changed some since that build was made, but figured I'd ask anyway.

(And also just low-key brag because I still love this guy and I'm glad he's all done up :toot:)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alrighty, will get all of that sorted out, thanks for the advice dudes.

Edit: And just cause why not, touched stuff up to those recommendations and this is what I got now.

Replacing a block of LB20 with the SRMs has already felt a little better, cause yeah I noticed if I was surviving long games, I'd usually run out of missiles a good bit before I would my cannon.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 8, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nice laser hat.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm lookin at lights and not sure what I wanna grab, suggestions for something that can get around but still blow robits up? Been thinking of grabbing the battle trashcan here and there just for the novelty, can he shoot em up very well?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I bought the K9 Urbie with my event MC because I wanted a fast little man, how do I build him? Trying to look it up I saw some people saying like 5 med laser, but that sounds boring, is there any good ones about that let me keep my UAC/5?

Also I vouch for the 1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A on the Orion-IIC-A, that's how I've got mine decked out and he's fun as hell.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

How's this for a K9 setup, did I do good?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

All good, I was hoping to get picked apart on it anyhow, but will definitely take a look at those. Will probably give that MPL setup a try and keep the AC/2 around for the novelty of running that other one sometimes as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Paging Skippy, gimme the rundown on Arctic Cheetahs if you would.

Also I've heard good things, Pirate's Bane worth that tiny 1500 MC investment? I'm on a light kick after having fun with the K9. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 29, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the info and stuff on the Pirate's Bane, looks like a fun little thing so grabbed one and will get it all set up soon.

Though one other question for now, I saw that Deathstrike build last page and it looks real fun, but are there any other notable spins? Earlier I saw one that had the same gauss on each arm setup, but had 4 ERLL with 2 in each chest instead of the ERMLs and I think a laser AMS and man did that look nuts. On the other hand I assume a loadout like that flash fries you though right, or is there something that actually makes that work?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You could go for a comedy MAXIMUM ALPHA build

:lol: jesus christ that loadout, but I getcha, I'll just run that one from last page then.

Edit - Much later trip report: Pirate's Bane is ridiculously fun, first match I got exactly what was advertised, ran circles around a couple fatties and hosed them down while allies bombarded them to death until finally getting legged, then wading into battle alongside much bigger dudes and finally dying after getting in way more hits than I thought I would at 40 kph. Second match, 4 kills just running down other lights and zapping their asses. :getin:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 29, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Any tips on how to make a dumb LRMboat for fun? Catapult/Archer/Mad Dog/Huntsman?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

They added 6 more days to the stocking stuffer junk, I was grinding out some last minute, refreshed the page for my clicks and suddenly it's 6 days - 3 hours instead of just 3 hours. :toot:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sparq posted:

making GBS threads 36 SRMs on Clan pubbies when scouting is great and all of you should try it. 72 damage, bam, there goes the leg. Bushwackers are incredible.

Beware Ice Freets though. They'll murder you slowly from afar.

So how do I make this goofy rear end Bushwacker? I assume BSW-P1 for the six missile hardpoints but got a smurfy link or something I could take notes off?

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait no, nevermind, shut the gently caress up about stupid spreadsheets and look at what they did—

:flashfap:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 5, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The mech bay sale finally ended, goodnight sweet prince, I got so many new bays to fill thanks to that paired with the stocking clicks giving MC as often as they do, it felt like every other click I was getting a 25 or a 30 or a 50.

Also I got a new one, what's a good mech for PPCs? How's the Annihilator fare with them? I was eyeballing getting one of them regardless though, so if the answer's poorly then feel free to point me the right direction.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:captainpop:

Alright, you've sold me on it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sparq posted:

If I'm against Hunchies IIC or Huntsmen

What's the run down on those by the way? For scouting I've mostly ran my ACH because my one actual clan medium (Stormcrow) is 5 tons too fat, so my fast little MGs and MLs guy is fun, but with how much I run up against Bushwackers who just won't die I feel like I want someone beefier.

Pretty much recently I've been transitioning into faction play, so with help from you dudes I've been trying to supe up my roster and it's worked pretty well so far.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 7, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

He's makin bacon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

So I copped off that one Cataphract build from earlier since I took the 3L from the holiday event, that sucker's fun. I went with the MLs and light ferro and tacked an extra ML onto the right arm to make it a full 5, for the cost of one of the gauss ammo stocks. Felt pretty good so far, with all that laser I can afford to hang back a little when I want or need and then just stomp up to softened targets and heavy gauss their face off.

But onto another bit, I'm finally gonna pick up an Ebon Jag and figured I'd ask, this look like a decent enough mess around setup?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 8, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sparq posted:

It's decent. I'd drop the laser and some arm armor for another heatsink. My favorite is 2UAC10+8ERSL. 80 damage burst.

The one annoyance is that for what it's got going on it kind of needs the pissy little slot filler there, mainly so both those PPCs go up to the high ear mounts, cause if it's just the two then one goes up top and the other's down in the body. That one you mentioned sounds like a bunch of fun too though, got a link or anything I could shamelessly copy keep on hand?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The most important thing to note about the K-9 is to frequently press the L key, which blares your little cop sirens and raises morale.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

BattleTech posted:

Also: MC: Pirate's Bane with stealth armor and med lasers. I'd argue that a Pirate's Bane is the best buy for MC with what you can do with it right now.

Pirate's Bane kicks rear end and is super cheap to boot, so just echoing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

My piddly babby numbers look better than I expected, my survive rate's not very good but hey who needs it with my other numbers.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 13, 2018

• Locked thread