Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Banano posted:

~light mech stuff~

Rock, thanks, gonna give it a spin with an XL 265 and an extra 100 rockets since I frequently run out. It's still slightly faster than it was before I had speed tweak on the XL 280, so it's something I'm already used to.

I assumed that with the hero variant Black Widow having ER PPCs equipped and PPC quirks they worked together, but welp.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

The Adder with four SRM6, ARTEMIS, and six and half tons of ammo is an absurdly fun robot, holy poo poo.

Sard
May 11, 2012

choo choo
here comes the regret train

I will learn to play Assaults and love this thing, so help me god. I should probably let go of the idea of drawing attention with incandescent machine gun pecs and just fit two large lasers so I'm not so useless outside brawling range, but the MPL and SRM6 sync up perfectly.

Sard
May 11, 2012

If you're going to spend real money on colors, just get either the Wolfhound or Jenner IIC pack. You get red, white, black, and six faction colors with the IS one and probably a similar bundle with the Clan option. Plus a great cbill-boosted light mech in both, and some assorted other poo poo.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Devorum posted:

What engines are you guys running in the Oxide? I can only fit 4 tons of ammo with 4xSRM-4 and an XL295, and I run out nearly every match.

EDIT: Right now for a mere $10M (before upgrades), I can get two more Blackjacks AND 3 Spiders! Because what I totally need is more IS Lights and Mediums.

I used to run the XL 280, which I think is the most common layout and definitely the only one to use when you're still working towards the speed tweak upgrade. I recently switched to the XL 265 after mastering the chassis. With speed tweak, it's about as fast as the unupgraded XL 280, and the extra ton of ammo has gone a long way towards keeping me useful in the fight- when I don't run facefirst into two Daishi turrets, anyway.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Tujague posted:

reasonable nerdery

The best thing about MWLL was the lack of a mech lab. I hope future BT games take note and keep a balance between appealing to customization and established flavor.

It would be nice if there were official modes with stock layouts only. It'll never happen but my dream is for faction warfare to be based on BV points instead of tonnage, with stock mechs and maybe even some kind of industrial capacity for the faction determining their offensive budget- or maybe just their budget for modifications to stock designs.

At least there are community efforts for this sort of thing. Stock fights happen at least once a week.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

MWLL is the only Battletech anything without a mech lab. Customizing your mechs and tanks and whatever is such a huge part of Battletech that removing it would be dooming your game.

I don't think it should be removed wholesale, but either make stock fights easily accessible or something (like quirks) to steer chassis in certain directions. Otherwise it all starts sliding towards the best arrangements of hitboxes and hardpoints and most of the content goes unused. A lot of the problems that come up in mechwarrior games- poptart meta, PPC/Gauss balancing, etc- only appear because of unrestricted customization. It's fine in the singleplayer games but even accounting for :pgi: competence it has taken them years to really get a working control over it in a multiplayer game like MWO.

I will admit one of the best unexpected consequences of this game is watching robots get redesigned (and rescaled) for competitiveness in a min-maxed environment. The old BT art has needed this functional upgrade as much as the form improvements. The state of the old Awesome next to the new Marauder is night and day.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Welp, I've tasted the power of six AC/2 with a 25% velocity and range buff and nine tons of ammo, it's all downhill from here.

Sard
May 11, 2012

starkebn posted:

Have you tried something good like 3xUAC/5 (or more)?

I have tried 4xUAC/5 and that also rocked but there is something magical about this.

I'll switch back to the UAC/5s eventually but for now it's full-on :orks: time.

Sard
May 11, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I really want to make a huge :effort: post about quirks, but nobody cares.

Well, I'd read it, and probably pass it along to my friend who is getting into the game. Speaking of coaxing friends into bad ideas, anyone have good Top Dog builds? I know bracketing is frowned on but without a coordinated group he's settled into using two ERLL in the shoulder slots to poke with and the rest as mediums for when things get close. I'm sure there are better builds that can fight at close and mid range though, but the best I came up with used six ML, three MPL, and an STD310.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 18, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Number 19, now that you've fixed brawling I have another impossible task for you. Can you please make it so that modules, etc. are selected when you drop? That way we don't have to constantly go into the mech lab or buy multiple very expensive modules for each mech we pilot. Thanks Number 19!

Give players 20 seconds after map/mode selection to make changes to their robot in a simplified mechlab screen.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Endbuster posted:

The Arctic Cheetah is such overpowered bullshit. I just carry the poo poo out of games in it. Had yet another 3v1 game against a blackjack, cheetah, and jagermech. Wrecked em all. What a stupid mech. On mining collective you are unkillable.

I think I was in that match, I was rolling around with a group from my friend's ArmA clan messing about with my Panther. I alt-tabbed after dying and seeing it was one guy versus a handful of them, and came back to see [11|11] and the last guy on our team was a Jagermech hiding in a corner. This was his first time playing in years and he had arm lock on, so he couldn't elevate the LB10-X to shoot you.

:negative:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Just played that new map, and it is not for brawlers. Just a big flat LRM and ECMsniper paradise.

Just had my first match on it as well and I don't think it's that bad. It feels like a good balace, there were enough dips in the terrain for me to get within LPL range of the enemy in my Mauler. Seemed like a really good mix of viable ranges, although if you have low mounted weapons it's hard to do much at first. There is a pretty major lack of LRM cover, but the terrain undulates so much that breaking lock should be really easy anyway which might be a good thing to aim for in balancing LRM gameplay going forward?

Only one month until the Rifleman! :yum:
I get the feeling I'm the only one here looking forward to it, though. A leaner Jagermech that I assume goes faster the same speed for just one usable ton less after mounting the engine, looks cooler, and I really hope the hero version has a mix of LL and LB10-X quirks because that would be a fun way to play the game.

Sard fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 20, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

I can understand people not liking the size- I'm a dumb nerd and enjoy the vastness and slower pace but that's definitely a minority view- but I haven't seen LRM hell on it at all. If you get out of the trenches long enough to keep locks for LRMs, you're probably getting ground into dust by ballistics and PPC which are much deadlier with this gentle hillhumper terrain.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Bought a Black Hawk. I was prepared for the wide variety of gimmicky ways to arm it but was not prepared for the crisis of style. It wears so many colors so well!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Blackdog420 posted:

the Boar's Head isn't actually a Dad, it's just a Bad Uncle

The BH is mom's new boyfriend. Fast, flashy, swole arms and no gut.

Sard
May 11, 2012

The biggest problem it has is stupid players. Teams tend to sway to the right as they leave spawn on any map, and when both of them do that on a large undulating plain then they can easily miss each other. If you just go straight for the enemy spawn the fight starts pretty quick.

You're loving hosed if someone lands a NARC on you, though. I'm not sure if NARC finally being relevant is a good thing or not.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Wait two weeks or so to check out the Rifleman quirks.

For the love of god the Legend-Killer had better get LB-X quirks on par with the other autoshotgun mechs. The problem with the current ones is you can only fit one LB10-X, and they're all slung so low anyway that you can't really pop out of nowhere with them. But a robot straddling the medium/heavy divide in terms of agility that has two of them mounted high in the arms? I just want to pretend to contribute- poking with the large lasers- until the fight has ground out most of the armor on the field, and then justify the rad paintjob on that thing with two fast-firing internal-shredding boomsticks.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Sweet Christ, the CTF-0xp is such a relief after wading through the swamp of poo poo that was the CTF-3D. I wish this thing was the hero version, it is indescribably satisfying to waltz behind a team and get a chain of nearly instant kills with the AC/20 and four MPL to the rear CT.

Buy one before the sale ends.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I have many questions, starting out with how this managed to be one of the top players in the match.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I guess I should stop being shy and join up too. In-game as Sardaukar and I'd appreciate an invite to WoL.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I am very close to making a terrifically poor decision, but there's no stopping that. If you were forced to use an Anansi, would you put on an SRM6 or an SRM4+A? I can't decide between the value of more raw damage in a burst, or efficiency on a 'mech that is no matter what going to need to stick around for more than one attack to do any appreciable damage.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Mastery bundles are a waste of money except maybe like the Raven or Blackjack ones.

Why's that? For the light ones, you get the month of premium time as the majority of the cost, and then an extra five or nine bucks for three mech bays and three robots with assorted bonuses.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Kurzon posted:

Somebody explain to me why I should ever take an Inner Sphere mech over a Clan mech. Clan mechs are faster and have better range.

Inner Sphere robots have more character.

BT games are a gateway drug to the greater IP, and you will fall into the robot hole sooner or later. The Clan fandom is full of shame and the sort of nerds who spend $500 on golden Madcats.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Inner Sphere are the T-800 and Clan are the T-1000.

Also goddamn this game needs a replay function. Something popped the left leg and all of the right leg's armor off on my Spider on a Frozen City match, leaving me with one LPL, a bunch of jump jets, and a 40 km/h top speed. I dug through the rear armor of a tunnel-visioned Warhammer and cored it, kept limping to skirmish a bit with a Mad Cat, limped into cover and then burned into and through the side torso of an XL-engined Catapult CPLT-K2, and surprisingly found myself at the end of the match. My Spider about to fall apart and one damaged Shadow Cat versus the Mad Cat from earlier who was still in largely yellow-ish condition but without any rear CT armor. Walked over to a building while the Shadow Cat ran distraction, got behind the Timberwolf and... poo poo, it turned. Some-the-gently caress-how it didn't kill me after shooting once, and I called in an airstrike and kept shooting at the front CT to expose it. It died. Spiders loving own.

Sard fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Comedy suggestion: Instead of measuring tonnage, restrict drops by cbill cost.

I'd also like to think there's a few holdouts left, legs jammed full of standard heatsinks, standing proud in a shallow body of water.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

a cheetah with 3 er smalls. When I asked why, he said it was so he could fit the targeting computer.

If it's any consolation, his robot fell over like an idiot.

http://gfycat.com/EminentFabulousHarrierhawk

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 29, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

quote:

Value and visual changes to the Flamer weapon
A long delayed change to the Flamer weapon is now complete. This mainly involves a change to the heat/damage values which we feel will lead to a more functionally useful weapon, while the visual component of the change was necessary to mitigate the blinding aspect of the Flamer.

:supaburn:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

If anything blanket capping IS energy range quirks is going to be terrible, especially as a grand cap. Who the gently caress cares if a Locust gets a 50% on one laser.

I'm going to miss some of range gimmicks, but there are still terrific duration and cooldown ones to be had. Would it be too much to hope that this nerf to range is made up for with other, arguably more useful buffs down the road?

Sard
May 11, 2012

quote:

Map voting change coming - Going live in March: Voting percentages will be hidden until you vote, map vote then locked in, then you can see the percentages.

:rip: map selection mindgames

Sard
May 11, 2012

Kelly Zmakerensky

Sard
May 11, 2012

So this is over a page late, but you dumb shits argued about mechs that look like their name and no one brought these abominations up? Click and despair.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/ProtoMech

Sard
May 11, 2012

Small world. I was gonna just post that three of them were actually really cool looking, and it turns out the guy who drew them is the same guy working at PGI now.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hobgoblin
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Boggart
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sprite

Sard
May 11, 2012

Should be this:

Sard
May 11, 2012

You shouldn't take it into a match like this, but you can put three LRM15 on the right arm of the Zeus and it turns into :btroll: with all of the added launcher blocks.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Speaking of Spiders and bullshit, this felt pretty good considering it was done with one SRM4+A with one ton of ammo, two medium lasers, and two machine guns with a half ton of ammo. With flamethrowers getting buffed, I really hope MGs do next, there's no reason for them to be so inaccurate.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Blackdog420 posted:

I wouldn't run a crab without an XL, honestly. I also wouldn't go looking for a brawl in any crab either, regardless of it's weird hitboxes

One of the Crabs can run six medium lasers and a big standard engine. It doesn't sound like much, but it's like being a slower JR7-F that can be reduced to a CT and still use one third of its weapons. Plus it runs pretty cool and can fit utility like a BAP if you want to help the team with that.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Ten days left. Where the gently caress are the Rifleman previews?

This fan effort is neat but come on, I need that last push over the edge to get the Legend-Killer.

Sard
May 11, 2012

sarmhan posted:

If the idea of an ECM spider with a hatchet doesn't sound like the best thing ever, something has to be wrong with you.

It doesn't need the hatchet. I like to imagine that most Spiders feature chest guns because they jump onto bigger 'mechs, use their clawed feet to dig in, their articulated hands to execute melee attacks literally tearing off the armor, and then fire the lasers into internals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Krinkle posted:

In smurfy's MWO reference why does it give you two top speeds? One in blue, one higher in green? The one in blue seems to be the one I see? What is the green one?

That's how fast you'll go once you get a second tier upgrade for your mech that gives you a slight speed boost. You get access to the second tier of upgrades by getting all of the first tier of upgrades for three variants of that mech.

• Locked thread