Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

armchairyoda posted:

I would like to know more about this.

i seriously think cataphracts are bad mechs, especially when they're running xl255s and xl280s. the only advantage you'd have is that you will be packing a lot of firepower but you'd be forced to stare down your opponent, meaning you're MAYBE guaranteed one kill a match -- a big maybe now that you're more than likely facing a clan mech -- and every full moon or so you'll go on a hot streak. perhaps this is what most people are looking for, but it defiantly doesn't cater to my playstyle

the benefits of a cataphract is that since it's has a fairly low height, it receives some of the benefits of a medium mech, meaning it can climb hills and maneuver better than most heavies -- always use this to your advantage. this is especially true when you max out the engine. i do think they have recently changed this due how mech profiles were loving with the jumpjets but how this has affected the cataphract, i wouldn't know since PGI doesn't nicely document these things for the public.

a huge engine also helps mitigate a huge drawback of the ilya, its low slung arms, which forces you to exposes your entire mech to get a good shot at an opponent effectively making you a glass cannon. with an xl340, you don't necessarily need to commit to any engagements when you can maneuver at around 84kmph with a fairly decent torso yaw speed and turn rate.

this is just my unpopular opinion but i did fairly well with the ilya. i haven't played it much post quirks but i still did more than decent when i brought it out during the past year or so, especially with the ac5 build. anyways, here are my three go to builds i quickly put together

ILYA 3AC5s, 3MLs, XL340
ILYA 2LB10x, 3MPL, XL340 (can substitute MLs)
ILYA 2AC10s, 3MLs, XL340

even though i haven't played it much recently, i wouldn't recommend anybody buying an ilya today, let alone a cataphract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think there's a drat thing that goes into it outside of getting two teams worth of groups together. We've ended up in far too many games where we're running very light against teams with 4 assaults and other heavies to boot.

there simply isn't enough players in the group queue to make the matchmaker behave like the pubby queue where tonnage matching and tiers is a thing

they should at least increase a 12 man group to 700 tons, up from 600.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

Alpine without the mountain would be a p. good map, and on Conquest this is most evident, but as of now it's p. bad

alpine is a legit good map on conquest and does bring something different to the game but try telling that to the pubbies who love using their lrms on the mountain

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Astroniomix posted:

It also works with legs, a destroyed leg will transfer 50% of the damage it takes to the side torso above it.

Arms do not get this bonus however, so a destroyed arm will transfer 100% of the damage it receives into the ground, which can cause problems if too many stray shots hit one as sections of the map may begin to disappear.

i thought arms got this bonus? the last i remember, damage transfer was 40% for the first component and 20% for the second.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
hero mechs only

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

DiHK posted:

PPC's are crunchy. Like that AC20 round. It's a visceral connection.

this is especially true when your projectiles/effects are set to very high

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

DancingShade posted:

Yeah this. Basics went from... I want to say 7.5% to 2.5%? I forget.

Anyway, yes it's still double but its double less than half so really eliting isn't nearly as critical as it once was. Still nice to have though.

The important thing is you're no longer just a lumbering target in a NewMech.

it was a major all around nerf. for example, the basic twist speed used to be 20% and has now been reduced to 2.5%, along with everything else other than the two cooling/heat skills

speed tweak was barley nerfed, from 10% to 7.5%

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
marauders look fun to paint

the importance of painting your mech is underrated

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
tier 2 is quite an upgrade over tier 3.

not too meta but every mech loadout utilizes some form of synergy at the very least. there is the occasional lrm boat but not enough for you to drop in alpine and forzen city will always win in votes, regardless. it still seems that you will occasionally have bad drops with noobs/pubs though.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

TVDinna posted:

Hiring more level designers or artists won't do poo poo. The game needs actual meaningful content outside of stompy robit CounterStrike. :\

then who will create the new content required for solaris and the pve mode?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

TVDinna posted:

They can reuse the existing maps for pve mode, they need to actually figure out what the hell they want to do for CW and the persistent game world.
Making more game modes even with existing maps beats the hell out of just making a million new maps with only the same deathmatch or cap points will make this game far more interesting.

naw, gently caress cw

more dm maps plz

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

Are you good good or just modpud good?

nobody can ever be as good as modpud, she is literally greatest player in the entire game, everybody knows her name

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/87101-best-players-that-you-ever-seen/page__st__440__p__1891404#entry1891404

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Beet Wagon posted:

My go-to shitbuild is a 4xERPPC Cicada, but it's so obviously a terrible troll build I don't think he'd take it seriously.

Skoll posted:

I like to run 2xERPPC Shadow Cats with both on the same firing group.

armchairyoda posted:

My new _____________ uses a XL engine and MG's.

A.o.D. posted:

holy poo poo do I love those awful guns.

let me propose this beautiful machine as the official goon mech :agesilaus:

CDA-3C

try to build a better robot :colbert:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
what a truly beautiful mech

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Bubbacub posted:

Is there some trick to getting headshots? All of my mechs are SRM brawlers so getting headshots is really unlikely for me, but I would have expected more than 2 out of 373 kills.

terra therma or any hotmap, strategically wait until they overheat and blast away at their cockpit.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
arctic cheetahs are seriously retarded. more often than not, i have to drop below 60% before any of my armor is stripped

there is literally no point in piloting another brawly light that isn't an oxide, huggin or a missile boat jenner2

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Quickdraws get progressively worse the better your tier as they are large, draw fire, and aren't really any better armored than a Griffon. Fun mech though.

Blackjacks just straight up rule and a bunch of them play very differently.

i don't know about that...

the 4G and 5K are two of the best laser boating mechs in the game ATM

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

tbh if you aren't a complete moron you can make just about any mech "Work". Except the slow 25 ton clan light. The only way it could be made to work is if you could upgrade the engine, and you can't so lol.

basically this. as long as your mechs are built around weapons that synergize well with one another, e.g. clan c-smpls/c-srms and lpls/mls, then you can do damage.

and then you have mechs where you literally can't do poo poo with, an example being the quarantine.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

This more or less sums up how to spot them, yeah. They'll have ridiculous target acquisition speed even outside of targeting range (and against ECM units), and will send an Alpha directly into you with unnatural accuracy.

this. when the lasers are sitting directly below the center of your cockpit regardless of how you twist, they're using helios.

here's a good refresher
https://youtu.be/imc_hGMXG1g?t=25m30s

it become easier to spot the further you're out of range

teepo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 12, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/686997826677571584

shadowcat just got buffed D:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Willfrey posted:

While i think it is good the video exists, you couldn't of found a worse (better?) MWONERD.avi dude to do it.

Fast forward to 4:00 to avoid the opening ramblings. Also "hey I'm making a video, lemme just light up this cig casually in the middle of it"

i have a lot of respect for soy. i've been dropping with that guy in the pubbie queue since the very start and he's a hell of a pilot

but yea... i forgot to put the timestamp so it would start at the point where he tested helios on alpine from 1km out. that has been fixed

https://youtu.be/imc_hGMXG1g?t=25m30s

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
if there is one thing that pisses off a select number of goons is not joining a brawl when you're running a build optimized for shooting poo poo at 400-500 meters back

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

RiperSnifel posted:

Play peek-and-poke all you want, but when push comes to shove loving get in there and don't be a little baby bitch. Nobody cares how many kills you get/damage you do if the team loses and you're the last person alive hiding on top of buildings.

lol no

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

I still lol'd @ you going, "Timber Wolves can't torso twist!", teepo.

i didn't exactly say that, but it was something close to that but i should reiterate.

timberwolves have a torso yaw speed of around 100 or so, the same as an atlas. the last remaining mechs were fairly fast lights and mediums zipping around and given that i was in a laser vomit timberwolf that runs extremely hot and is penalized with longer burn times, i was exactly where i needed to be. i would've been far less effective in that brawl and we could've possibly lost the match

and yes, timberwolves are an amazing mech that used to fill every role with ease, but that isn't the case anymore with the pilot skill tree, is quirks and clan re-balancing. outside of one specific build, stormcrowes are the superior brawlers and timberwolves are best at being support mechs. that's just my two cents

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

The Repo Man posted:

I'm a pretty huge fan of my hellbringer, I was just wondering if the laser wolf would even be viable in normal matches. I've never run into one that worried me.

as long as you know where to position yourself, you'll do just fine in normal matches. just stand back and offer support and once you become a primary target, re-position yourself. play it like you will with any mech that is built for mid to long range encounters.

the only thing that sucks about the TBR-A left torso -- or any of the laser boating omnipods -- is you're going to be spreading a lot of damage due to the lovely burn time penalties. it's partly why it's my least favorite of the three main timberwolf builds. infact, a lot of the IS mechs outclass the the timberwolves now when it comes to laser vomiting, such as the Jester and Quickdraw-5K

teepo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 13, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

ZombyDog posted:

The argument for is that the more robits in the push, the more incoming damage you can ameliorate across the charging mob and improve the likelyhood that everyone survives, and when the push fails because half the team are trying to play at being Vasyli Zaytsev all of those snipers are about to be dead anyway. Unless you are trading up lots of armour to make your robit more snipey ( protip: dont do this thing, it's a really bad idea unless you're a gimmick 12 flamers no armour and all MG ammo build, in which case god speed noble bird warrior, your flaming death shall be fantastic ), your armour is more beneficial to the team when you're taking part in the fight. Even if you aren't built for tankin' and fightin' you're absorbing some of the damage that would have been inflicted on the Dads that would have otherwise led to their demise.

this would only be a strong argument if everybody were rolling in a brawling mech but that isn't the case nor does it need to be and brawling isn't the end all be all strategy in the game. most top teams that roll us have a mix of brawlers and support mechs that use the map to their advantage to fire at us constantly and consistently from each and every direction resulting in a complete stomp.

the game is now balanced for a mix between the two and it's for the best. but even so, laser vomit is still the slightly dominate strategy.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because if it ultimately breaks down into a brawl the more mechs within the brawl to absorb outgoing damage the better. It doesn't matter what you run at that point, provided you aren't a lurm mech you'll still be doing the same damage as peek and poke (Probably more) AND you'll be absorbing some of the aggregate incoming damage from the brawl. What the gently caress is not to get here?

I feel like there's this whole publord mentality that if you get yer mech dirty you've already lost and I'm shocked that goons are championing it.

Oh and FYI: Peek and poke is no where near dominant at the moment outside of CW. In just about every map outside of alpine and sometimes canyon if you can get your team to follow you into a brawl you've pretty much already won. The only time it doesn't win is when half the team is lobbing lurms. Just about any other map with a good D-DC/S pilot you can force a close confrontation.

this isn't even an issue of peeking and poking, which is roll only suited for smaller mechs and is perfectly valid playstyle but an overall issue that when your mech is built to be most effective sitting several hundred meters back, then you don't force your way into a brawl and are more effective sitting back and shooting away. what the gently caress is not to get here?

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

Unless you are packing lurms/PPC's i.e. things that are questionable use anyways, your large lasers hit just fine up close (And pretty much everything works within 250m) and if anything you'll do more accurate component damage, so congrats on the "Non argument" I guess?

Or do you just not know how weapons work in this game? Like someone told you that you literally had to be at optimal range to get full damage for every weapon system? Literally everything is better the closer you are due to aiming/travel time, including lurms and PPC's if you can skirt the ranges where they are useless.

thanks for the protip! i'm convinced you must have a high kdr and a deep understanding of this game becuz you're obviously smart af

but i must ask, why do these pros seem to not know this game as well as you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBc540veyk

learn2play

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i will receive an applejack pattern for all four of my cicadas?

best. challenge. ever.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Vorenus posted:

I wouldn't mind occasionally running a GIRL group with this level of coordination. BMR and TeeMerk do amazing goon yellbossing when we go Tryhard.

literally right before they did their little tournament, a group of nine goons ran into the same 228 squad featured in the video on mining collective. they literally did the same exact poo poo in this video, where the blackjacks and quickdraws were smartly positioned so each and every one of them had line of sight on our death ball engulfing us with lasers from literally every single possible direction. once a few of our mechs dropped and our armor was stripped, a swarm of arctic cheetahs charged in and picked us apart. it was a complete stomp and well deserved.

their high level of coordination and high play resulted in the most epic fail cascade i have ever witnessed, with our group of nine quickly dwindling down to only four. the only other witness to this i remember was phroashi, who didn't quit like a bitch.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Oh Snapple! posted:

What's lost in this story is that it's ultimately a squad of people who live and breathe this stupid game vs. goon groups which have a varying amount of experience and degrees to which they care about doing this stuff.

The deathball strat is preferred because it's simple and works the majority of the time. Newbies can do it easily, and it's just enough coordination to win without being overbearing to people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about a high degree of coordination.

i'm not advocating for goons to play this way at all. this video was to illustrate the point me, patton and a few others were trying to make that having a few mechs utilizing a support roll can be just as effective if not more so than having one gigantic deathball

i just wish goons, and at least one of the graduates from the school of modpod, would understand that deathballing/brawling is equivalent to utilizing a zerg rush in the bronze league. it'll work a good majority of the time until you play a platinum player in your next placement match and you're left wondering what exactly went wrong. just because it works a good majority of the time doesn't make it the dominant strategy.

fact is, this game now caters to many different play styles and that is why the game is loving awesome again. goons should be able to bring whatever the hell they want, as long as they're coordinating well with the team. if you don't like how somebody isn't necessarily joining the brawl, the problem is more likely you then them.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah I feel you. Brawling is for me much more fun

I think there's room for people to play to their strengths though. Snipey folks can support brawly folks and vice versa

this. i'm in a brawler a good majority of the time anyways.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me that if like CSGO, half of the MWO comp teams use hacks.

thankfully MWO doesn't have any leaderboards but the best way to spot a cheater or an entire group that utilizes it is seeing how individuals or groups who both consistently sit at the top of online leaderboards and tournaments completely fumble during the early stages of grand stage tournament against what is essentially an 8th seed team.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Skoll posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me that if like CSGO, half of the MWO comp teams use hacks.

and this is worth posting to give an idea how littered the pro scene of virtually any game is filled with h4xs

quote:

Titan and Epsilon’s disqualification from DreamHack Winter sours the excitement around CS:GO’s biggest tournament of the year. For some, the bans have created a cloud of suspicion around other teams and players. Smn, the originally banned player, commented on a livestream on Friday about his ban and the incident, allegedly saying that as much as 40% of the pro scene is using hacks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-competitive-scene-embroiled-in-hacking-scandal-as-three-players-are-banned/

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
like seriously, i'm the greatest player in this entire game, everyone should know my name

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
a cicada can get away with not running a max engine but it's this weird middle ground between a light and a medium.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Beet Wagon posted:

And even then, I can't really think of any cicada builds that don't use an XL (outside of the obviously ridiculous joke builds)

an ac20 cicada is not a joke :colbert:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
even the minimal gain you get from unlocking speed tweak makes a huge difference

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

DOMDOM posted:

120 to 150 is night and day, i think

doesn't it effect acceleration, too?

torso yaw speed, pitch speed, acceleration, deceleration and your ability to turn

atleast a few of these things are true. somebody correct me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Zaodai posted:

At least in Alpine Peaks I can more easily plan where I'm going and see what I'm fighting. I can appreciate it as a very clean map even if I don't enjoy trying to brawl in it very much.

Viridian Bog is like trying to fight inside a dumpster full of cinderblocks and razors. While drunk, and blindfolded.

do i have great news for you

quote:

Breakable trees and roots in Viridian Bog
Thanks to the extra efforts of our level artist we have made an initial round of improvements to Viridian Bog. This should be considered a first pass, as we will continue to improve collisions and general playability on this map in later patches.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/218691-january-road-map/

• Locked thread