Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I still believe firmly that black and white should count as basic and be non-premium :colbert:

Other than that, when was the last time maddogs or ebon jags where on sale?
I dont want to buy them over the weekend to find them on sale next week.

I'm not sure I've seen Jags on sale at all.

Don't buy a Vulture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont see any vultures, is this code for "Mad Dog"
If so, why?

Bait and Swatch posted:

The clan mechs had different names in the older games, tabletop and books. From what I remember: Mad dog was vulture, Warhawk was masakari, timberwolf was mad cat, dire wolf was daishi, stormcrow was ryoken, kit fox was uller and shadowcat may have been blackhawk.

"Vulture" is the IS name for the Mad Dog.

All the clan robots from the Invasion era have IS names, too, since the IS didn't know their clan names.

The Blackhawk is the Nova.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You said i shouldnt buy one, is it that bad?

They're pretty bad. Whenever I see them, they die fast and easy. They're a heavy that I don't fear going straight up against in a Cicada.

Of course, people tend to LRM boat with them. They might be better with SRMs.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I see.
A shame though, it is one of the best looking machines available.

I was equally disappointed. The Vulture has been a favorite of mine since MW2, and I love the way it looks.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's even worse than that. "Hagetaka" was the IS reporting name for the Mad Dog, which lasted until one author explained that Hagetaka translated to "Vulture."

Then it became the Vulture. :pseudo:

Stormcrow is the Ryoken, which is "passport." With a really weird spelling ( which didn't save, apparently ) you miiiight get "fist of the battalion" or something but someone who actually reads/writes Japanese would have to tell me how stupid/bad that is.

Warhawk is the Masakari, a Japanese broad axe

Arctic Cheetah's the Hankyu, a Japanese short bow

Daishi is supposedly "great death" but probably translates better as "great teacher" or, with some spellings, "cardboard" (or some even worse spellings "godchild")

The Mist Lynx's reporting name was 'Koshi' which again, theoretically translates to 'small death' (it's the orgasm! :haw: ) but more accurately translates to "lower back," "used paper" or (and this is my favorite), "withering; dying"

Edit: A couple of Clan `Mechs didn't get a "real" Clan name for years. The Ebon Jaguar, for example, is called the Cauldron Born in every piece of fiction it appears in. It didn't get a "Clan" name until after the novel line was discontinued. Even the Clans call it the Cauldron Born, since the IS name spread faster than the official name the Smoke Jaguars gave it.

There's one other instance of the Clans liking the IS reporting name for a `Mech so much that they stopped using their own designation: the Mongrel (a Clan version of the Blackjack, basically) was named the Grendel by the Inner Sphere. For some reason Freeborn Clanners enjoyed piloting a killer troll a lot more than piloting a thinly-disguised insult at their expense.

I'm...ok at reading and writing Japanese. I lived there for a few years, but it has been a while and I'm pretty rusty.

The "word" Ken can mean "Prefecture" (県), "ticket" (券) or "Fist" (拳). I'm most familiar with usage of the second symbol, as you see it it at every train station, and the first because it's on the signs when you travel (青森県; Aomori prefecture). There's probably more usages I'm not aware of, as well.

However, I can't think of any circumstances where "Ryoken" (literally: Journey Ticket; 旅券) would ever mean "Fist of the Battalion" (Datai no ken; 大隊の拳). They're not even close to the same symbol or context.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Based on the second entry. Same symbol, but with a (probably contextual) historical meaning.

I honestly have no idea where the 'Ryoken' name comes from. It's never made any sense to me and it's one of those `Mechs that basically never appeared in fiction so never had the meaning of its name explained.

I can only assume that someone high on 80's cocaine saw it in a badly translated underground manga and ran with it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What engines are you guys running in the Oxide? I can only fit 4 tons of ammo with 4xSRM-4 and an XL295, and I run out nearly every match.

EDIT: Right now for a mere $10M (before upgrades), I can get two more Blackjacks AND 3 Spiders! Because what I totally need is more IS Lights and Mediums.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Supraluminal posted:

Do mech bays ever go on sale, and if so how often? Mine are full up.

They were half off a couple of weeks ago. I'd say they go on sale 2-3 times a year, at most.

Pooncha posted:

With an XL295, 1 head armor and 3 armor in the arms lets you load another ton of missiles.

E: Like this.

I figured I'd have to shave armor off. I hate doing that with lights. Oh well...I'm tired of dying simply because I run dry, so if I've gotta do it...I've gotta do it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 17, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Faction Play is literally designed around the concept of House/Merc units fighting other House/Merc units.

Running into premades shouldn't surprise you...and you shouldn't expect such a mode to cater to solo pubs.

You need to align your expectations with the stated goal and purpose of CW.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In case you have no sensible answer, resort to profanities, well done.

But rest assured i will say no hurtful word against your game anymore.
Queues can not be changed to make the game more appealing to more players, that would be bad.
Things should always stay as they are, because that is good.
Got it now.

Guy plays game.

Guy makes conscious choice to play the game mode designed for group play.

Guy bitches when he runs into groups in the mode designed for group play.

Guy then demands that the mode be changed to suit his preferences.

Guy gets butthurt when it is pointed out that Guy is playing the mode designed for group play, and that there is already a mode that separates groups from solos that they are explicitly choosing not to play.

Holy poo poo, these last few pages have had a lot of drama.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

Does the second launcher in the left torso still fire one missile at a time?

I miss the days when you could still put an LRM20 in the Raven's NARC slot and run around pissing a neverending stream of useless missiles.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The 5V Spider with 12 JJs is absolutely ridiculously agile. Too bad Jetting around increases your heat so much. Guess it's down to 6 Jets to fit a LPL.

teepo posted:

the X5 with 3 ERLL seems interesting

Sometimes I feel like the only person using the missile slots on the X-5.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have four small pulses and an srm4!

I run 4 SPL and 2 SRM4. It's pretty nice.

Blackjacks: Is there a reason to get the -DC instead of the -1 or -3? I already have the -1X.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Conquest on Tourmaline, there's 3 enemy guys left alive, 8 of us. 6 of my teammates are all huddled at Theta hiding from an Enforcer and Timberwolf on Epsilon. I run past them trying to get them to push or cap, and kill both 'Mechs in a Blackjack, then limp to Epsilon since the Timberwolf legged me.

In the meantime, their last light capped 2 more points and my team stayed huddled at Theta, whining that their armor was red so they couldn't do anything.

We lost.

gently caress pubbies.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can think of worse KC builds, but...

Note his fabulous match score of 98...on a win.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sweet, I can pick up a 3rd Nova! I'm now tempted to get a Warhammer, but no preorder bonuses...:suicide:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Endbuster posted:

"Put shots downwind"
"Focus B as in Boy"
"Slice the pizza if you're poking"
"We need 'depressing' fire"

I'm going to make frantic calls for "downwind depressing fire" every game, now.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

kingcom posted:

Fukt up but true.

Which 3 Griffins should I get and what should their builds be?

If Heroes are on the table, the 3M, 2N, and Sparky.

If not, swap the Sparky for...I guess a 1N. Neither the 1N nor 1S are spectacular.

For builds, I run the biggest Artemis SRM racks I can fit, and a couple of MPL on the 3M and 2N.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Bolow posted:

Is the Sparky actually that good?

It's the 3rd best Griffin chassis, and way ahead of the 1N and 1S.

It also gives a bit of variety when you're eliting them, since it's all energy.

It's probably the best Medium Hero.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't believe you scum are assuming the hallowed Twerkenmech Bloodname without a Trial of Position.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

When does clan dad come out

I'm wondering if it's a solo release or "Wave 4".

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Why are PPCs so bad, I want them to be good.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Triple responding here but at least they are all to different posts.

PPCs are bad because they have minimum damage range, generate a lot of heat per shot, and splash(?) losing some of their damage to surrounding areas (I'm not entirely sure they lose their top damage on point but whatever.). For what is essentially the same slots or weight you can have LPLs doing as much or more damage for half the heat and I think a higher refire rate. Maybe a little less range.

ERPPCS don't have a minimum range but you're basically trading gobs of heat for that and like ok if you want a special snowflake pop tart (jump up and shoot rarely) but they are really unsustainable for more than a second or two.

I know WHY they are bad, by the numbers. I was asking why they are designed badly, because I want the lightning gun to be cool and good.

Like if you see a delicious cake, and take a huge bite and it turns out that what you thought was buttercream icing was actually sulfur flavored sour cream.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Can we skip to 3065 so I can have an Uziel? Thanks.

EDIT: Hell, just 3053 so i can buy a Bushwacker.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone else notice the servers running particularly lovely today? Seems like I am getting stuck at "connecting" an awful lot.

I occasionally go from having a ping around 30 to between 1300 and 2000. I've seen a few others with the problem, as well. I don't know if their servers are just creaking under the weekend strain, but it's make the game very hard to play.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Olesh posted:

In that time, collisions between mechs remain very janky and problematic, as rubbing up against other mechs causes weird hitching and apparent teleportation from the perspective of one or both clients. Three years! There's just not a whole lot of faith to spare for PGI given years of past history.

There's nothing I love more than slightly scraping my leg on another 'Mech, or, Kerensky forbid, a pebble, and seeing my leg armor go orange.

Such a great and useful mechanic that increases fun!

EDIT: What is great and fun, though, is when I forget my Oxide has no Jump Jets and go flying off the side of Candy Mountain, only to press the spacebar frantically and look on in horror as my already beat up legs explode on impact and I die.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

novaSphere posted:

I personally love getting stuck in geometry in a light mech, having the game consider that I'm still gaining momentum during this time, and then lose half of my leg armor when I "land".

Yesterday I had that happen during an upward jump, and when it "corrected" it slingshotted my Griffin into the air, and I came down on the complete other side of the plateau i was trying to jump on top of (Viridian Bog), in the middle of an enemy lance.

It sucked, but was hilarious at the same time.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I think they should add a "360 No Scope" award worth a buttload of C-Bills, GXP and MC. To get it you, obviously, have to do a 360 jump jet turn then headshot someone without being zoomed in at all.

If nothing else, watching pubbies try to spin in circles and kill each other would be worth it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Only took us ~3.5 years to get a way to not have to hunt through dozens of 'Mechs to find the one you use the most.

What a time to be alive. PGI A+ number one best game developers.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

aniviron posted:

How many mechs do you guys have that you're having trouble finding them???

Considering you need 3 variants of each chassis to Elite them, and I rarely, if ever, sell 'Mechs...I probably have at least 60.

EDIT: I just saw they're doing "Mech-Con", and holy poo poo the tickets are half of a Dragon*Con (4 day Con) ticket for a 13 hour con!

Devorum fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 21, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Wait...the loyalty Stalker has ECM? Almost sad I don't qualify for that one.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

If I were going to make an awful decision just to get that ECM Stalker, what IS pack is worth getting? I have the Archer, unfortunately, and I picked up a Black Widow on MC sale...so I'm leaning towards Warhammer.

aniviron posted:

Are we going back to ignoring that picture of the Blood Kite? Because that's not a world I want to live in.

I would buy the Blood Kite in MWO if it looked exactly like that.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 26, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Enjoy the Hellfire. Same book, same artist.

If only it could spin those guns and holster them it would be an unholy fusion of Robocop and ED-209.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 26, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I bought a HBK-4J because I wanted to try out LRMing and it turns out that LRMing sucks.

Any advice on making them suck less?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

No, you have correctly divined the secret of LRMs.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Are you using them as a Medium Range (400-600-ish) weapon while acquiring your own locks?
If no, do that.
If yes, that's it. That's as good as LRM's get.

As I feared. I should have known better.

DancingShade posted:

Hide about 1.5km behind the back of the nearest most rearwardly positioned team mech. Demand people hold locks for you and blame them for every loss.
Scream about this over VOIP if they don't comply.

If you even SEE an enemy mech directly hide behind the nearest large rock for at least 30 seconds, just in case. You should hold your fire during this time too.

My computer is set to self destruct if I ever type the phrase "LRM Boat here, hold locks!" in game.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 27, 2016

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's going to be a "Seize the means of production" event.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Well this is the saddest attempt at a tie-in with "Popular Thing" I have ever seen in a game.

"Paul, quick...what are the Tweeters talking about on the Twitter-box?"

"A Strange Thing? Something with a Barb?"

"Make an event!"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

In the MWO Facebook group I'm in, there's at least one :qq: post a week about someone dropping in their gold 'Mech and getting legged or straight up killed by a teammate as soon as the match started.

"Why do I deserve to be punished for supporting the game?!"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Reinstalled...is there anything worth doing with any of the 2016 Loyalty 'Mechs?

Should I buy a Viper and fill it with machine guns?

How much money should I give PGI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Patched and logged in to check out the skill tree, and...what? Is there a guide to this somewhere? It seems very easy to just toss away SP on hot garbage nodes. If I were a new player and saw this, I'd just exit and uninstall immediately.

I just want to missile things with my HBK-4SP, dammit.

• Locked thread