Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

China’s latest statement is supportive of the “Palestinian national cause” and criticizes Israel’s actions as going too far. I know there’s always a realpolitik explanation for these things, but this particular one is going over my head. I guess Israel = America, so the friend of my enemy is my enemy? I didn’t think China would support a sorta Middle Eastern analogue of Taiwanese independence.

Maybe your presumption that there is realpolitik 3D chess being played is wrong, and China is morally disgusted by what is being done to the people of Gaza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

the weirdest thing about this imo is that Israel is even denying it. Why not just say Hamas was there like they always do?

I think they were probably planning to do just that and then found out they'd killed wayyyyyy more people than usual and started backpedaling and obfuscating with obvious bullshit stories about one of the Palestinians piddly rockets dropping a whole hospital.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

celadon posted:

On one hand it could be the state thats been leveling buildings in Gaza for a fortnight, the state who initially claimed responsibility for the attack, and claimed they warned about the attack in advance, on the other hand Hamas may have used a secret bomb more lethal than thousands of their rockets combined, that they saved for the special occasion of destroying their own hospital.

A hospital which Israel ordered evacuated and that it had struck with rockets just a couple days before.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

According to post up thread, Israel had ordered everyone to evacuate, said they were going to bomb, and had in fact previously bombed that hospital, right?

It's hardly an unfair assumption in that circumstance to assume the idf was doing the same thing again. Live your life such that when a hospital gets bombed the natural assumption is not that you did it.

Israel has been bombing the absolute gently caress out of Gaza for a week and a half and opening talking about how it's going to turn Gaza into a big pile of rubble, but wouldn't you know it, this one particular bombing that's an obvious war crime that has drawn massive international disapproval just so happens to not have been Israel's fault.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Palestinian Red Crescent reporting Al Quds Hospital currently getting attacked

https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1714721700028293171

Purported huge Israeli bombing Islamic Jihad misfire about a block away

https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1714703569742422201

This hospital was ordered evacuated by Israel. PRCS says about 8,000 people are patients, working there, or sheltering from the barrage there.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupied-palestinian-territory/prcs-statement-al-quds-hospital-evacuation-order-enar

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

It may unanimously be considered a crime against humanity, but not necessarily a war crime.

Wow you really did find a way to make an "it's actually ephebophilia" style argument.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

celadon posted:

Israel's long term plan is that 30 years into the future, they will be holding a film festival on top of mass graves in the Gaza Strip, and young Israeli filmmakers will show off their new movies about the terrible but necessary choices their grandparents made, and the complex emotions brought up by the long term ramifications of those actions.

Start working on those land acknowledgments now, kids.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

B B posted:

Medhi Hasan also posted some findings from the University of London that cast doubt on the IDF's claims about what happened.

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1715429352697934331

Between the projectile coming from the opposite direction that IDF claimed (which is to say, from the direction of Israel) as well as the probably-faked audio, it seems like there's very little reason to put much stock in the IDF's version of events.

Also, you can just look at the video, and no loving poo poo, it wasn't a fragment of a Hamas rocket. I don't need 8 kinds of expert analysis to reach that blindingly obvious conclusion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

We can see what happens with Palestinian governments that are too collaborative with Israel; they still get colonized, just slightly slower.

Do you mean that they get colonized way, way faster? Because Israel hasn't tried to colonize the Gaza Strip while it's been in Hamas' hands, while the West Bank has been absolutely ravaged by settlements.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

That's...a really good point I didn't think about. I am an idiot

It's something that the media blackout of the Palestinian condition causes to be a common mistake. Everyone here in the U.S. just kind of assumes the Palestinians and Israelis are always at a low-level background hum of shooting/bombing each other. Hardly anyone here knows that the West Bank hasn't really been violently rebelling against Israel in decades, nor that what they've gotten for their peaceful approach is to be absolutely annihilated by settlements. We all want to believe a fairy tale that peaceful resistance always wins out like it did for Gandhi and MLK, but it's been a loving disaster for the West Bank.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Parts posted:

Many reasons which are maybe not even fully understood by people firing said rockets themselves. And that's not a "hurr hurr look at these barbarians, violent in nature!" jab at the Palestinians/Hamas, but more of a recognition of the extremely long historical tentacles which emanate from the conflict. Sometimes the best reason people have for feuding is, like many aspects of culture, "because that's what we've always done, and that's how it's always been".

In some parts of southern Europe they kiss on both cheeks to greet each other. Some just the right, or just the left, or right and then left and then right again. Some literally touch lips to cheek, some only just cheek-to-cheek. Some go across genders, some don't. These seemingly compatible traditions are effectively non-interoperable when it comes to "on the ground" mixing of different styles; where and how do you kiss? Would it be ludicrous to entertain that ancient tribal feuds could be just as arbitrary?

Do you think this conflict is rooted in ancient tribal feuds and not that Gaza is an open-air prison?

Do you think that they're just resisting Israel out of habit?!

Are you comparing an ongoing violent conflict to greeting rituals?!?!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I take flack for arguing that the doctors should tell people to evacuate a hospital the IDF has repeatedly said they are going to bomb otherwise they’re effectively supporting Hamas.

If I somehow got away with just a 6er in the MARTIAL LAW thread for that post (with a rap sheet quote that says I was getting queued up for a much longer punishment), I would not then bring it up again a day later.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

Its moments like these that make you realize that sometimes political leaders are not that bright.

"We didn't bomb the hospital, it was a defective Hamas rocket, and here are our arguments, video, and expert analysis to prove it"

OK, well there is still some uncertainty and other experts have cast some doubt onto your story, but your theory is maybe plausible.... though I'm not sure why it matters in the bigger picture, and everyone is starting to move on to more pressing issues in this conflic...

"oh, and even if we did bomb the hospital, its still OK because we know that they have dug themselves into a frightening warren of terror-tunnels underneath the hospital!"

Wait what..... I thought you said you didn't bomb it?

I got bad news for you. The al-Ahli Hospital was the one Israel bombed and then clumsily released a bunch of fake evidence to claim they didn't bomb it.

This is a completely different hospital that they're trying to justify bombing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
These all seem like fine reasons for troops to investigate the hospital during a ground invasion and terrible reasons to drop 100 JDAMs on it and kill every doctor, patient, and cowering civilian inside.

I wonder which route the Israelis will choose!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Quds News Network reporting a strike on a cancer hospital in Gaza. I don't know anything about QNN though.

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1719026403088175593

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ms Adequate posted:

The refugee camp that has been there for years MIGHT have just spontaneously detonated at the same time someone is raining bombs all over Gaza, it could have been a coincidence!

I am honestly surprised Israel took responsibility for this one instead of claiming another Islamic Jihad super rocket misfire.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hong XiuQuan posted:

There are videos of fighters running up to and attaching explosives to tanks with 0 infantry support. You may not be seeing this but the Israeli ground forces are currently a running joke and the air forces are seen as only good enough to bomb hospitals.

What the Israeli military lacks in quality they make up for in quantity (of bombs dropped on hospitals, UN schools, and refugee camps).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

No one's connected to land by blood. That's not a thing.

Even if you want to give credence to the thought, it's inarguably exponentially less important than actually living there for centuries.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sucrose posted:

Does anyone have a good template/letter to copy to write to my congresspeople to ask for a ceasefire?

I know it won’t happen but I don’t know what else I can possibly do. I feel morally guilty for not doing anything, given that my government is supporting Israel.

I used this as a template. Wrote it myself, but used it for structure and key facts (I think the numbers of Gazan deaths are very outdated at this point though).

https://www.amnesty.org/en/petition/demand-a-ceasefire-by-all-parties-to-end-civilian-suffering/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Aside from the morality of it, it's interesting how effective this seemed to be. Half the ship traffic had to take the long way, and suddenly Israel is talking ceasefire for hostages and meeting with Hamas officials again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kagrenak posted:

Other than the timing is there any evidence to suggest the two are related? Not that I don't see Egypt pushing harder for new talks as a result, given the extent of the financial toll the shipping disruption is already causing there.

It could be coincidental, but it seemed so intractable so recently that it's hard to find any other cause.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't know if that's a reasonable characterisation of it. Israel was very happy with the last ceasefire and I'm sure would like another one in which Hamas releases hostages in exchange for no relevant concessions (and Israel goes back to bombing them afterwards). If talks for a temporary ceasefire have resumed I would actually argue it's Hamas who have caved in - previously they were saying that no hostages would be released unless Israel ended its campaign permanently.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/12/19/israel-signals-readiness-for-new-temporary-truce-in-gaza-as-pressure-mounts

Well who caved over what is more about the final shape of the ceasefire than the starting positions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What do ICJ proceedings mean? Can criminal charges be brought against Israeli leaders? Does the U.S. hold its magical veto power over the verdict?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

According to my understanding: it's a legal rather than a political body so no state will have a say in the outcome, just the judges. This will be a preliminary verdict in which the ICJ can issue an injunction for Israel to stop its offensive which is theoretically binding but in practice unenforceable (see: its injunction for Russia to stop its Ukraine invasion in March 2022). A full verdict on whether genocide has actually occured generally takes many years to reach. It has no power to bring charges against individuals - the ICC is the one that made it hard for Putin to travel around, not the ICJ.

It's great someone is making the case, but disappointing to hear that individual charges aren't possible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

This was a fairly big deal at the time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_flotilla_raid

I've linked wikipedia, but a lot of it is sourced from the UN investigation report that you can find in the footnotes where they assess that it looks an awful lot like there were a half dozen executions.

Wasn't someone planning another flotilla? Like a huge 100-ship one? What happened to that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Houthis have yet to kill anyone attacking a commercial ship?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Everything up until that is fine, apparently.

Have they injured anyone?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I really don't think this is a useful question regarding Ansar Allah* missile and drone attacks. Unless you think they have the ability to reliably ensure that they damage ships with explosives without inflicting injury or death, which I'm not sure anybody does, there are only two possible conclusions. One is that they're deliberately not hitting ships, in which case there is no actual threat and also there would not be the occasional struck ship. The other is that they're just lucky, in which case the argument isn't very solid at all, because one of the missiles they are randomly hucking at essentially random ships could kill sailors tomorrow. If you give a poo poo about that possibility, you probably shouldn't be arguing for "what if they keep being lucky" as a justification.

* that's the right org name, no? I find the arguments that calling them "the Houthis" is derogatory reasonably solid but it's not like I pay much attention to Yemen under normal circumstances

I'm not making an argument. I genuinely do not know whether the Houthis have killed or injured anyone with their actions, and y'all seem to be following it pretty closely. It appears the answer is that they have not.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jai Guru Dave posted:

I live in an armed compound in a designated battlefield, and I have trained with the invading military force to ward off potential invaders (as opposed to, say, evacuating), an eventuality I have spent years assuming will happen any second.

What's the story here?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Koos Group posted:

I don't keep all discussion of moderation and rules private. It's why I have feedback threads, and why SA has the leper's colony. It's also why I include descriptions of reasoning for all the rules, so that users can know the intent behind them and use that to discuss when they should be changed.

I'm perfectly willing to change rules and policies if I see a good reason to, and have done so before.

I don't see a feedback thread now so :shrug: guess I'll just suggest it here

You could probably just drop the martial law on this thread and catch a lot less flak. People generally don't raise much of a stink about 6ers vs. whole days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Could the ICJ have done more? I have been confused as to the scope of their powers. The ICC does the actual trials, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

This might be a dumb question but, couldn't they just walk in with a lot of troops and arrest them, then execute them later? This happened in the West Bank. Why do it like this? Did they just want to avoid any resistance?

I think this is one of those "the brazen cruelty is the point" situations

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good lord, is the Zionist claim on the land based on the Old Testament?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

And they still have to distribute the aid from the port, which means it's gonna get like 3 blocks away from the port and then Israel is going to bomb the poo poo out of it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This, unfortunately, is the real problem they'll face once the aid gets there.

No matter how much aid is sent it doesn't matter if the aid keeps getting bombed by the bomb the US keeps giving Israel which is why we should probably stop giving them bombs to fire at civilians and non-profit organizations.

Are the roads still functional? Is anyone willing to try it even? Seems like certain death to try and truck aid from this port to any besieged section of Gaza.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This is tremendously hosed up

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Eyewitnesses report hell on earth conditions at Al-Shifa hospital

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2024...%8a%d8%b1%d8%a9

quote:

The Palestinian Jamila Al-Hassi, who was besieged in the vicinity of the Al-Shifa Complex, told Al Jazeera that the occupation forces forced 65 families to leave the vicinity of the complex, after burning the building in which they were holed up. Al-Hassi added that the besieged people have been appealing to the Red Cross for 6 days to provide water for children and the sick, or to intervene to evacuate them without any harm. Feasibility.

She continued, "The occupation forces killed and burned entire families, and also raped and killed women."

In turn, journalist Jihad Abu Shanab, in the vicinity of the Shifa complex, told Al Jazeera that dozens of families have been trapped without water or food for 6 days in homes and neighborhoods near the Shifa complex, and are being exposed to gunfire and violent air and artillery bombardment. They have been calling for several days for the Red Cross and international organizations to intervene to save them.

Abu Shanab indicated that some citizens who were able to leave told him that there were dozens of martyrs and injured in the streets, and that the occupation forces demolished 8 houses on top of their resident.

A child, one of the survivors of the executions carried out by the Israeli occupation forces after their release from the Shifa Medical Complex in Gaza City, said that all those who were with him were killed by occupation snipers, despite being told that they were safe, after the occupation forces arrested them for several hours.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

You're all massively underestimating the strategic strength of that potential pier. There's a reason the World Kitchen kilings were such a dramatic moment, lots of politicians don't like what Israel is doing but are scared of the lobby, if they kill 'our boys' or destroy 'our infrastructure' that's a moral justification to finally make a stand.

Be cynical about it taking too long, being a method for ethnic cleansing etc if you want but the pier would functionally be a US military/aid site. It would be a powerful geopolitical locum and it's extremely unlikely Israel would interfere with it.

They have bombed the Rafah crossing many times. They allowed the Kerem Shalom crossing to open and then a week later murdered the Palestinian head of aid distribution. The U.S. has emphasized there won't be American boots on the ground in Gaza. The aid workers who distribute this aid will be at risk of Israeli attack, or they might open fire at civilians at a distribution point, as Israel did in late February.

I agree with you that Israel is unlikely to directly attack the pier, but I think there is a definite risk of them interfering with its operation by preventing aid distribution beyond the pier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApmG0nGC7g

Skip the "Crackhead Barney" interview (ie: up to 9:50); she's an idiot clout chaser, as Hasan correctly points out. Hasan understandably loses his temper a couple of times, but hoo boy, does the blonde lady come off as a complete reptile.

What in the everloving gently caress is going on? Is this some bit from the 1980s? This is utterly baffling. Piers Morgan is making fun of a mentally ill woman or doing a comedy routine about a mentally ill character?