Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

for example sweeping the Roma who died in the Holocaust under the rug

I agree that we should not attempt to erase the killings by the Nazis of disabled people or gypsies (or Slovenes or Freemasons or homosexuals or Spanish Republicans) from history.

quote:

who as a group were just as persecuted and used as scapegoats as the Jews

Ludicrously incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forums poster "icantfindaname", who has literally insisted that literally everything bad that happens in the Middle East is literally the fault of Israel doesn't think antisemitism on the left is a thing. Somehow, I am not surprised.

Cat Mattress posted:

If they had stopped right there, without going on about all the conspirationist garbage she spouts about Charlie Hebdo, MH17, and so on, there would be honestly nothing in the article to support that she is as awful as they claim.

So the stuff about Zionist control of world government, that's ok? Everything up to but not quite including the completely insane jewsdid911 style conspiracy theories?

Cat Mattress posted:

Secularity does not preclude racism.

I could not agree more.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Meanwhile I'm just sitting here thinking to myself "the amount of money that the US appears to be spending on weapons development and weapon deliveries to Israel, could literally pay for like, college for every person in the US," unless my math is really messed up.

I'm afraid I have some bad news.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

hey, Jewish people had a rough time once a while back (except they actually got reparations from most western nations, in the form of their own sovereign state, where they chose to pick it.. Or am I missing a point in there?)

The point is that if you don't want to be accused of holding anti-semitic positions(or see Zionists ready to leap out and accuse you of it lurking in every shadow) then you probably shouldn't write things like that.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

So it's anti-Semitic to suggest that Jews do not, in fact, have the right to commit atrocities and crimes against humanity, no matter how hard you pull on capital-H History as justification? Sorry, the Holocaust doesn't make it OK for Jews to set up a fascist apartheid state and commit slow genocide. The anti-Semite thing is honestly in my opinion some of the most blatant projectionism you can find in all of politics, because the argument for Israel depends on a racist, ethnic supremacist notion that Jews have more rights than other ethnic groups. Most Israel defends are even open about this, it's not a secret people are trying to hide. And yet, calling those racist, supremacist assumptions into question gets the full weight of even the liberal FP establishment crashing down on you as ANTI-SEMITE!!!!!

Is there something literally wrong with you? Here, once again, is the coyo7e post I was responding to:

coyo7e posted:

hey, Jewish people had a rough time once a while back (except they actually got reparations from most western nations, in the form of their own sovereign state, where they chose to pick it.. Or am I missing a point in there?)

Maybe I'm falling afoul of Poe's Law here, but you are the poster who insisted in the Middle East thread that everything wrong with the modern Middle East was the fault of Israel so I'm assuming your response wasn't meant to be taken as sarcasm.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

That's cool they hate antisemitism but isn't that kind of like expecting an attaboy for heroically denouncing child sex traffickers in public?

You'd think so but there are still plenty of "anti-Zionists" caterwauling about the whole thing despite the final policy did not equate anti-semitism and anti-Zionism, there really are people who will oppose initiatives to combat anti-semitism.

A lot like how the "I'm not racist, but" racists always howl that anti-racist programs are oppressing them.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

I'm not calling bullshit on you, per se but would you cite some examples of that?

The original NYT article had a few good, albeit mild examples: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/us/university-of-california-adopts-statement-condemning-anti-semitism.html

And from across the pond:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-party-members-anti-semitic-banned-for-life-john-mcdonnell-a6951371.html

quote:

Labour members who express anti-Semitic views should be expelled with no possibility of return, John McDonnell has said, amid calls for the party to take stronger action following a series of damaging allegations.

“Out, out, out,” the shadow Chancellor told The Independent, speaking about concerns over how anti-Jewish views are dealt with. “If people express these views, full stop they’re out.”

The Labour Mayor of Bradford, Khadim Hussain, was suspended this week for sharing an anti-Semitic post on Facebook. That followed last week’s suspension of party member Vicki Kirby for a second time for sending anti-Semitic tweets – and conflicting claims over whether a Labour councillor in west London, Beinazir Lasharie, had been reinstated after suggesting on Facebook that Jews were responsible for 9/11 and the rise of Isis.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

Note that the one stated opinion, ie that Jews did 9/11 and ISIS, has nothing to do with Israel, and furthermore gently caress off you disingenuous shitstain.

I'm sorry, is this a 'antisemitism has nothing whatsoever to do with Israel, how could anyone think that?' post? Or just a meltdown?

captainblastum posted:

Are you ever going to address the questions that people have asked you repeatedly?

You'll have to clarify, it's hard to distinguish between all the bad faith non sequiturs made to avoid having to address legitimate issues ands important news stories that I mention.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kind of a no-brainer why that's objectionable, but the broader point of the article is that while utterly blatant acts of antisemitism are (sometimes) declaimed by campus organizations there's a willful blindness towards antisemitism in general and anti-Zionism masquerading in antisemitism in particular, like the same Oberlin student body that found sushi in the cafeteria 'problematic' not having much of a problem with a professor who accused Jews of stealing organs.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eSports Chaebol posted:

You linked a story about Joy Karega, not Jasbir Puar as you probably intended (though she teaches at Rutgers, not Oberlin). Also, the unauthorized harvesting of organs was not done randomly by "Jews" (no individual Jewish person is responsible for the actions of any other Jewish person or people simply because of their shared Jewishness--to make such a claim is blatant anti-semitism) but at the direction of a single person, Yehuda Hiss, who harvested organs from Jews and Arabs, Israelis and Palestinians alike.

My mistake, although Puar's presentation was delivered at Vassar.

I don't think I have to point out the fatuousness of suggesting that anything short of explicitly claiming that Jews as a group steal the organs of non-Jews can't be antisemitic. It's just as ridiculous as implying that the Willie Horton ad wasn't racist, because it didn't claim that all black men want to rape all white women.

Dabir posted:

It is said that the best way to discredit something is to argue for it badly. By ypur own logic, antizionism = antisemitism, you are the moral equivalent of a Nazi, get the gently caress out.

Not all antizionism is antisemitic, but some is, and there are some antisemites who attempt to portray themselves as being merely antizionist. You, for example. At least, I assume you're not comfortable with self-identifying as an antisemite.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrNemo posted:

TIC has fully embraced the mindset that Jews bear a collective responsibility for their acts since they share some common cultural/genetic heritage. Thus an attribution of a bad or criminal act against a single Jew must be an attack on the Jewish people and is anti-semitic. It's sad to see someone so strongly enmeshed in a horribly racist attitude regarding a large and diverse group of people but there you go, TIC is once again propounding a fundamentally racist viewpoint while not addressing specific questions because they're difficult.

This is deep into "you lie-berals are the real racists, we conservatives don't even see race!" territory. Do you really not see how even if you begin with what is a factual occurrence(a single Israeli medical examiner is found to have removed and sold tissue and organs from bodies in his morgue, including those of both Palestinians and IDF soldiers), by contextualizing and presenting it in a way that is reminiscent of what are unquestionably antisemitic slurs("The IDF kidnaps and kills Palestinians for their organs!") even if you don't literally reiterate the same slur("Israeli Jews kidnap Christian children to drain them of their blood and perform their fiendish rituals!")?

captainblastum posted:

Also - since you're going to flat out call Dabir an anti-semite, could you explain how you reached that conclusion as well?

Dabir posted:

Don't engage with the single biggest argument in favour of antisemitism itt, just tell him to gently caress off and move on with your life.

Seems an eminently reasonable conclusion, assuming one isn't working off a "I don't see a swastika tattoo, therefore not antisemitic" sort of standard.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think that if you're spending most of your argument with someone trying to argue that they must be Jewish due to their opinions, and if you think that exposing them as Jews is a valid way of discrediting them, then you are bigoted against Jews, which in common parlance is called "antisemitism". Particularly when you add the "Jews control the news and the media and politics" angle.

Forums rule question clarification: Is it still probate-able to do that?

Darth Walrus posted:

As a result, they're very enthusiastically helping Israel against Hamas - with such vigour, in fact, that their brutal efforts to close the Gaza border have caused a major insurrection in the Sinai (bringing in jihadist organisations way scarier than Hamas or the MB to exploit the chaos). That's how that Russian airliner got shot down.

The Sinai insurgency started after Mubarak was ousted, so it obviously can't be pinned on Israel. It continued through Morsi's administration, it was an attack on an army barracks in the Sinai that got Morsi to put al Sisi in as defense chief. And it's mostly been the work of indigenous Salafist groups that eventually swore allegiance to ISIS, not foreign fighters.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

An israeli fighter jet was spotted near MS804.. it hit mach 2.3 before flying off 2 minutes after the plane lost radar tracking.

They fired an unguided rocked at it.

hosed up if true!

Oddly, neither CNN nor the NYT or WaPo or BBC or any other media outlet I can find has reported this, can you share your sources?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

The Farhud got brought up a thread or 2 ago to justify israeli policies and I thought it was, granted,a legitimate tragedy and A hosed Up Thing, way more mild than the pogroms in eastern europe? I specifically recall someone mentioning how straight after the violence was over a lot of people who had lost family/property and had fled returned either to resettle or pack up what they could find and leave. Anyway it was cool watching that post about it get shredded like carrion by wild dogs.

Wikipedia posted:

The exact number of victims is uncertain. With respect to Jewish victims, some sources say that about 180 Jewish Iraqis were killed and about 240 were wounded, 586 Jewish-owned businesses were looted and 99 Jewish houses were destroyed.[24] Other accounts state that nearly 200 were killed and over 2,000 injured, while 900 Jewish homes and hundreds of Jewish-owned shops destroyed and looted.[25] The Israeli-based Babylonian Heritage Museum maintains that in addition to 180 identified victims, around another 600 unidentified ones were buried in a mass grave.[2] An estimate published in Haaretz newspaper cites 180 killed and 700 wounded.

Not an event I would consider 'mild'.

FreshlyShaven posted:

I have to take issue with this. There's a difference between explaining the prominence of a type of bigotry and justifying it. 9/11 doesn't justify Islamophobia, but only a fool would deny that 9/11 led to a massive increase in Islamophobia in the West. Pearl Harbour doesn't justify the discrimination and hatred aimed at Japanese-Americans but no explanation of why anti-Japanese hatred increased exponentially in America would be complete without mentioning that context. Saying "Israel's actions inflame anti-semitism" isn't anti-semitic. Saying "Israel's actions justify anti-semitism" is.

The difference is one of implied culpability. "Israel's actions inflame antisemitism" can be antisemitic depending on the context.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FreshlyShaven posted:

The Palestinians have been suffering for over 60 years under a brutal apartheid regime. Israelis have not.

Your math is off, Israel occupied the the West Bank and the Gaza Strip less than 50 years ago.

quote:

Leaving aside whether the Mizrahim's experience is analogous to the Palestinian refugees'(for one thing, there's very little interest among the Mizrahim in returning to their ancestral homelands and some states like Iraq allow repatriation already), I would argue that anti-Zionists are generally pretty aware of the Mizrahim, their exodus/suffering and the discrimination they face in Israel.

On the contrary, I find a tendency among anti-Zionists to downplay or even ignore the existence of Mizrahi Jews, let alone the fact that they're the largest ethnic group in Israel, largely because it conflicts with their preconceived stereotypes about Israeli Jews being a bunch of white Europeans who have no cause to be present in the Middle East. Not a universal one, but more common than not. Think of every "joke" about how the Jews should just go back to Europe and the ignorance it betrays of where Israeli Jews actually originated.

Ultramega posted:

Sorry I'm using the Holocaust as The Benchmark For All Bad Things That Have Ever Happened To Jews. Thought you were on the level?

On the contrary I think that would end up being little more than a rationale to excuse to recognize the existence of Jewish victimhood.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Factory posted:

Is this a thing outside Canada? I can't say I've ever heard anyone ever say this.

It's not uncommon. Think of the recent controversy over the Labour MP sharing an antisemitic meme on Facebook, or Helen Thomas getting in trouble for something similar a number of years ago. And those are only explicit instances, extreme anti-Zionist rhetoric occasionally implies with differing degrees of subtlety that Jews are an alien presence in Israel and it would be desirable if they were relocated.

quote:

The only things I hear about Israel in this country are people saying Israel does bad things and the people who call the first group Nazis.

This is, of course, a wildly unrealistic and hyperbolic representation of the state of discussion.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

TIC, to where do you personally believe Palestinians should be relocated, given that they are apparently not native to Palestine?

Not sure where on earth you're getting that, I don't think the Palestinians should go anywhere, they have a right to a state of their own.

Just like Israelis have a right to a state of their own, and not be ethnically cleansed.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

The antisemitic meme in question

If you don't think a "joke" about ethnically cleansing Israeli Jews doesn't qualify, I don't know what conceivably could. Would you consider a sincere call to relocate them to the US antisemitic, at least?

quote:

Your argument doesn't even have anything to do with the actual picture. Ply your poo poo somewhere else.

My argument was that anti-Zionists sometimes made comments that amounted to "send 'em back to Europe and America" and I posted two examples of exactly that.

Main Paineframe posted:

People who willingly and voluntarily choose to permanently leave their countries, with no expectation of ever coming back, typically aren't refugees and usually aren't interested in a right of return. Not too many Palestinians fall under that definition, though plenty of Mizrahi do!

This is an utterly ignorant misrepresentation about the circumstances under which Mizrahi Jews emigrated to Israel. Did you miss the earlier post made about pogroms in Iraq?

Wikipedia posted:

In 1948, the country was placed under martial law, and the penalties for Zionism were increased. Courts martial were used to intimidate wealthy Jews, Jews were again dismissed from civil service, quotas were placed on university positions, Jewish businesses were boycotted (E. Black, p. 347) and Shafiq Ades (one of the most important anti-Zionist Jewish businessmen in the country) was arrested and publicly hanged for allegedly selling goods to Israel, shocking the community (Tripp, 123).

A very cursory summary. Suggesting that Mizrahi merely 'voluntarily' chose to leave their home countries is as tendentiously wrong as the far right narrative that Palestinians fleeing in '48 were doing so willingly and at the urging of Arab governments.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Hey, I can quote Wikipedia too.

Yes, I can see you quoting a number of left and New Historian scholars expressing a particular perspective on Jewish emigration from Arab countries to Israel. I can also see you moving the goalposts. You're quoting sources that object to equating Palestinian refugees from Mandatory Palestine in 1948 with the Jewish exodus from countries like Iraq and Yemen and Egypt. But that's not what was being argued.

quote:

People who willingly and voluntarily choose to permanently leave their countries, with no expectation of ever coming back, typically aren't refugees and usually aren't interested in a right of return.

You can't simply deny the historical reality of anti-Jewish violence and discrimination in the 40s and 50s or the role it played in Mizrahi immigration to Israel. Argue that it wasn't a simple historical equivalent to the expulsion of Palestinians if you like(although I don't know who you'd be arguing that against since I wouldn't disagree), but don't pretend it didn't happen by portraying Mizrahi refugees as a bunch of people who just decided all of a sudden they needed a change of scenery.

Dabir posted:

You know she got that from Norman Finkelstein's website, right? And he put it there cause someone sent it to him and he thought it was hilarious.

Yes. Why this is supposed to be a defense, I have no idea. There are a lot of Trump voters and Tea Partiers on Facebook who love to share racist or homophobic memes that they seem to think are hilarious and 'un-PC' as well, what's your point?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Ironically, it might actually be a violation of the federal anti-boycott law. The federal law prohibits U.S. persons and organizations from participating in foreign boycotts not sanctioned by the U.S. government. If it could be shown that Cuomo was acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents, he might be violating it.

What, if any, reason do you have to think that Cuomo was "acting in collusion with or at the behest of any Israeli government reps or agents"

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because he's an antisemite. Every single poster in this thread is an antisemite. Are we done? Is this over? Can we go home already?

Obviously nobody in this thread is an antisemite, because antisemitism is probate-able in D&D. Since nobody ever gets probated for it, there is no antisemitism in the thread. QED.

That said, I think it sets a bad precedent for people to fantasize about a sitting elected governor dragged off in cuffs by the Feds because he puts into an effect a policy they disagree with. This goes whether it's freepers fantasizing about arresting politicians who sign laws against anti-trans discrimination or BDSers wanting to "see that fucker burn" when Cuomo signs an anti-boycott executive order.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How about instead of speaking in generalities you read this Sitting Governor's record and the corruption probes that are getting closer and closer to him. Here, let me illustrate this for you:

Wanting a corrupt political bully to serve time isn't some loving racist fantasy, and LOL for you calling Dead Reckoning of all people a BDSer. Or are you calling me a BDSer? No, wait, that would be too close to you actually making a specific claim, you're more of the insinuating type, that way you don't feel you ever have to actually defend a position or actually contribute to any kind of conversation.

Where in this thread have Cuomo's problems with corruption probes been mentioned? They hadn't been until you brought them up in that post.

Dead Reckoning claimed that Cuomo could conceivably be in violation of federal anti-boycott laws. Crowsbeak imagined that it could lead to Cuomo's arrest.

Wanting a politician to held accountable for corruption is unobjectionable. But that's not what the discussion was about. It was about the anti-BDS executive order Cuomo signed. Hoping that Cuomo winds up behind bars because he signed that is objectionable.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not really. It's not even objectionable if you don't know Cuomo's general corruption and heavy-handedness. Just on the merits people can be suspicious of a Governor of a State signing a potentially useless, seemingly overreaching, and suspiciously pandering (literally on Israel appreciation day) executive order.

Suspicion of what? Of "pandering" to an electoral interest? Isn't that something that virtually every politician does or is suspected of doing regularly?

And even if there were no other reason to object to Cuomo's tenure as governor, the simple fact that he signed an anti-BDS executive order is enough to make it unobjectionable to fantasize about his arrest and removal from office? That doesn't strike you as an extreme reaction? Especially given that it's a measure that is, by your own admission, "potentially useless"? That doesn't make it sound like a particularly dangerous one to me. I'd guess the number of BDS supporting firms with which the state of New York contracts is in the vicinity of zero.

quote:

If you read this without knowing about Cuomo, if you weren't looking to throw "antisemite" around like loving toilet paper, you might notice the bridge burning portion, and the GOP reference, to realize that there must be some bigger context for the reaction.

But no, why do that? Why think? Why consider? Why do anything but assume antisemitism, and logically work your way backwards from that? That's work, that's hard, that's genuine discussion, can't have that with you in the thread.

Allow me to quote the Crowsbeak post to which I was referring, which you perhaps have missed:

Crowsbeak posted:

Could Cuomo be arrested for violating the law? Mostly I want to see that nepotistic back stabber humiliated.

This post being, once again, in response to the suggestion that Cuomo might somehow have fallen afoul of the federal anti-boycott law.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Its been said already, but being vindictive plays into the hands of the right wingers. The end goal is to provoke the palestinians into an attack so horrible that genocide will be on the table.
Now that I think about it, I wonder what has to happen before Israel can round up the entire Palestinian population into actual concentration camps without Israili civilians or world governments pitching a poo poo fit. I think a dirty bomb in a downtown area might do it.

Just to clear up my own uncertainty, are you alleging that the Israeli government would be willing to stage a false flag terror attack against its own civilians in order to justify (to whom, by the way?) the complete physical extermination of the Palestinian people, or merely that leading Israeli political figures actively wish a large casualty terrorist attack against Israelis would take place so that they would have a justification to engage in the fore-mentioned genocide?

And for the record, no I do not believe that the Israeli government secretly desires the slaughter of innocent Israeli citizens or intentionally overreacts in response to terrorist attacks in order to willfully provoke more of them.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kill all fascists and extreme right people, regardless of race or ethnic background, IMO.

Quick thread rules clarification question for any mods/admins: Is calling for genocide ok? I'm guessing no but it's not explicitly mentioned in the OP.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 11, 2016

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever posted:

Good thing he specifically targeted a creed rather than a race, in that case.

I'm pretty sure expressing a desire to exterminate all believers of a particular creed still counts as genocide. For example this would seem to count:

M. Discordia posted:

Kill All Communists

Main Paineframe posted:

For some people, "never forget" doesn't mean "don't let genocide happen again", it means "don't let oppression of the Jewish people happen again". For followers of the latter definition, the Holocaust is often seen as just proof that all gentiles are potential anti-semites and therefore ultimately can't be trusted. From there, it's a pretty straightforward path to Jewish supremacism.

Can you give some examples of those "some people" who are Jewish supremacists who hate and distrust all gentiles and are using Holocaust remembrance for that purpose? You kind of make it sound like a pretty substantial number and yet nobody springs to mind, but I'm guessing you have some ideas about which people or groups would qualify.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

Still waiting for one of y'all to dredge up a single advocate for palestinian rights who hasn't been called an anti-semite.

What an odd non sequitur. Of course not every advocate for Palestinian rights should be dismissed as an antisemite, that goes without saying. Is the implication that since every anti-Zionist is falsely accused of antisemitism (in your view), it's totally unnecessary for anti-Zionists to critically assess their own discourse? I think that's obviously problematic, for the same reason the conservative notion that all conservatives are wrongly tarred as racists is both false and dangerous.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It seems that Mahmoud Abbas was at the European Parliament recently and adopted a somewhat novel rhetorical tactic to emphasize the need to combat incitement and revive negotiations.

Mahmoud Abbas Claims Rabbis Urged Israel to Poison Palestinians’ Water

quote:

JERUSALEM — Echoing anti-Semitic claims that led to the mass killings of European Jews in medieval times, President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority accused rabbis in Israel of calling on their government to poison the water used by Palestinians.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Israel doesn't need to poison water, they can just bomb water treatment plants to get the same result but with the excuse that they're just defending themselves against terrorism.

This strikes me as a rather unconcerned response. But maybe it was intended as one. Is that how you would characterize your reaction to Abbas's remarks? Do we at least agree with the NYT that he was "echoing anti-Semitic claims"?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The part with a Rabbi publicly endorsing the well poisonings is seemingly a hoax though - http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.726657
Abbas lets himself get trolled too easily. (Though I would say it's almost certain that there are certain rabbis who do privately endorse these attacks).

"Seemingly" a hoax is ahead at this point because the "Rabbi Mlma" who supposed issued the call does, rather obviously, not exist. And no, "some settler may have once done a lovely thing that can be rhetorically be connected to this" is not an adequate defense any more than "I'm sure that at least some immigrants have committed rape or murder :shrug:" is to Trump's line about Mexican immigrants being rapists and murderers.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kajeesus posted:

What anti-Semitic claims would he be echoing, exactly? Was it common to accuse Rabbis of wanting the government to poison Muslims in medieval times?

Do you see nothing antisemitic in the claim "Jews poison wells" as long as it's specified the wells aren't in the Pale of Settlement in the 19th century?

team overhead smash posted:

There were (presumably) false news reports in arabic media the weekend prior making these claims, so he was just repeating a news story. The original person who decided to make up this false story is anti-semitic as they must have known it was false. People who believed the story to be true and acted accordingly aren't anti-semitic. Abbas withdrew the comments when it was pointed out they were incorrect.

Why do you feel the need to qualify a description of a fabricated antisemitic smear with the claim that it's only "presumably" false? It's beyond "presumably" at this point.

I am glad that there is agreement in the thread (presumably) that a person who knowingly fabricates an antisemitic story is antisemitic, but I'm a little puzzled by the claim that people who believe antisemitic stories can't ever be considered antisemitic because their racist beliefs are sincere. Are conservatives who rant against Muslims when they read and believe a false story about a group of Syrian refugees raping a child not bigots because they believed the story? What if they (grudgingly) acknowledge the falsity of that specific story but also insisted the existence of proven cases of sexual assault committed by Muslim refugees legitimizes their hatred and makes the fabrication irrelevant?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Due to it being a presumption that it is fabricated and that being how the English language works.

Could the fact that the supposed rabbi does not actually exist kind of clinch it? And seriously, Rabbi Mlma? Does he have any connection to the evil Rabbi Qwerty, who presumably was not the Zionist responsible for the downing of MS804 (but only presumably)?

quote:

Therefore believing and questioning a news report that says Israelis rabbis are promoting ethnic cleansing is not some crazy out there conspiracy like "MUSLIM OBAMA WANTS SECRET ISIS SLEEPER AGENT IMMIGRANTS TO RAPE YOUR WOMEN" but rather just a sad example of how if the story had been true, it would have just been one more example of human rights abuses against the Palestinians.

More importantly, on the scale of things ethnic cleansing related someone believing a story for a few days and then realising it is wrong and retracting their statement about it (which is what Abbas did) is about a million times less important than the fact that Israel is committing ethnic cleansing or the fact that Rabbis are literally promoting ethnic cleansing.

Imagine that some Tea Partiers eagerly pass around some story from Breitbart/chain emails/social media/:freep: about, let's say, gangs of black youth stalking the cities looking for white people to randomly assault. Or gangs of Muslim refugees stalking and raping young white women. Or transgender people lurking in public bathrooms to sexually assault children.

And imagine that what should have at a bare minimum set off some alarm bells and received a healthy dose of skepticism from any non-biased person exposed it is revealed to be a forgery out of whole cloth.

Then imagine the reactions to its refutation by those people who were credulous enough to believe it initially falls into either:
a) Insisting that it seemed perfectly plausible and there was no good reason to reject it until now
b) Admit it's not true in this particular instance but is in others so it might as well be true, or
c) Not really important because bigotry against the ethnic group in question isn't that important comparatively.

Do any of those excuses strike you as acceptable ones?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

It's no different than using anti-black racism as a defense when discussing a dominant African ethnic group committing atrocities against a minority ethnic group in some African country

What you're doing is no different than using violent strife in African countries to excuse or justify the spreading of the most noxious sort of racist garbage.

"Look at what's happening in Nigeria, so who cares if black people are described as a bunch of violent animals" is a racist statement. "Look at what Israelis are doing, so who cares if they say Jews poison wells" is an antisemitic one.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There is no knife to Israel's neck. Although individuals might die or be hurt occasionally, Israel is not under any kind of existential threat. Israel is a powerful nation, a regional power with modern equipment like tanks, bombers, jet fighters, a navy, concealed nuclear WMDs, etc. Palestinians are farmers who might surprise someone with a knife or land a piss-rocket into a patch of barren desert and have some guns.

On that subject....

Palestinian, 19, Stabs 13-Year-Old to Death in West Bank Settlement

quote:

JERUSALEM — A Palestinian teenager scrambled over a fence surrounding a Jewish settlement in the West Bank, ran into a house and stabbed an Israeli-American girl to death as she slept in her bed on Thursday morning.

The perpetrator, Mohammad Tarayreh, 19, was fatally shot after the attack. The victim, Hallel Yaffa Ariel, 13, had been sleeping in after staying up late for a dance performance the night before. Her father found her in her room, according to the Israeli news media and the head of the settlement’s volunteer security team.

The killing, in the Kiryat Arba settlement, was the latest in a series of attacks that surged in October and have left more than 30 Israelis dead. Several of the victims, including Hallel, have been dual citizens of the United States, according to the State Department. More than 210 Palestinians have also been killed, most while carrying out attacks or when thought to be about to do so.

Thursday’s attack was particularly gruesome.

I suppose you could say the attacker did "surprise someone with a knife", no word yet on whether or not he was a farmer.

There were also a pair of stabbings in northern Israel, but the only person killed was the assailant.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

The politicians at Hallel Yaffa Ariel's funeral are being so transparent and insincere that even the Times of Israel is calling them out on it.

I don't know if you know this, but using a funeral as a stage for incensed political rhetoric is not entirely without precedent here. Unseemly perhaps, but I would assume you then feel the same way about the funeral of Palestinian 'martyrs' used as platforms for incitement.

quote:

Once again, a Jewish corpse becomes a political prop for the ambitions of settlers and thieves.

What an odd phrasing.

On the subject of "settlers and thieves", the girl who was surprised with a knife in this incident lived in a West Bank settlement. Would it have been any different if this murder had happened in Israel proper? Is there more of a moral rationale than if this had happened in Tel Aviv?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

She needs to put the triple parentheses around her twitter handle to show that she's down with the zionist conspiracy and all that stupid bullshit.

Please don't do that if you have a twitter account. Not even in solidarity. It just looks goofy.

Well that came out of nowhere, considering her twitter account didn't have the "triple parentheses"(which is apparently referred to as the 'echo').

What's wrong with expressing solidarity in opposing antisemitism online? Why is it any more "goofy" than, say, expressing support for LGBT rights

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

It was brave to stand up to antisemites in 1938, in 2016?

You are conveying the opinion that it is not brave to stand up to antisemites in 2016. That's the barely implicit message in your rhetorical question, I just want to make it explicit.

quote:

It's sort of a given that the majority of the world's population are not antisemitic..

This is a bizarre statement. The ADL, which polls pretty regularly on this kind of stuff, finds about 26% of the population holds antisemitic beliefs, although it varies greatly by region. Are you really suggesting that antisemitism should be dismissed as a problem because the less than a literal majority of humans on earth are antisemitic?

quote:

Unless of course you start dredging up poo poo like ethnic biotruths like how arabs are irrationally hateful toward jews or some other nationalist chauvinist talking points

Chauvinistic nationalism by which nationals? And isn't this just another form of "the real problem today isn't racism, it's reverse racism"?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

I don't have a milligram of antisemitism in me.

How would you respond to a Trump voter who loudly proclaims he doesn't see race and doesn't have a racist bone in his body and therefore all of the racially charged things he repeats can't possibly be racist?

quote:

Also man you've got some nerve to try twisting around what i'm talking about regarding the chauvenistic nationalism. You know goddamn well which nationals I'm talking about you chickenshit.

Why are you being strangely averse to just coming out and saying what you think.

You're suggesting that only people who subscribe to "nationalist chauvinist talking points" would consider antisemitism a problem in today's world, what 'nation' are you talking about?

Nevvy Z posted:

Tell me what grave perils await the man who stands against anti-semitism on the internet. :allears:

About the same perils awaiting anyone who stands against misogyny or homophobia or racism on the internet.

But I wouldn't expect anyone except GBS /pol/ refugees to make the same argument (downplaying the problem and belittling those who don't) that was made about those that was just made about antisemitism online.

Besides, Ultramega wasn't talking exclusively about online antisemitism. He said that it may have been an accomplishment to stand up to antisemitism on 1936 but not in 2016.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega posted:

Jesus christ you are an idiot. You sound like a loving debate team dweeb who mentally rubs his hands together and thinks "mmwahaha he just committed a dutch wheelbarrow fallacy, i'll show him!" And no I'm not being 'strangely adverse' to saying what I'm thinking. Again, you're coming off like you're overanticipating some debate setup trick. I don't know how much more plainly I can state what I said. And that is more of a failing on my part because compared to the likes of a lot of other people in this thread I'm nowhere near as eloquent. What is it exactly you're waiting for me to say? To just casually drop a sentence like "well, i don't really like heebs but it's 2016..." or some bullshit? Why are you even still here? loving answer the tons of hard questions everyone keeps asking you, chickenshit.

When you argued that it's a "given" than antisemitism is no longer a serious problem in the world today were merely echoing "nationalist chauvinist talking points", what nation did you mean? That seems a pretty vital piece of information for evaluating the strength of your argument.

What relevance does a photo from Afghanistan in 1994 have to the subject at hand?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ultramega didn't argue that. They stated "It's sort of a given that the majority of the world's population are not antisemitic". The arguments you are arguing against exist only in your head.

Let's review:

Ultramega posted:

I'm not surprised you of all people would defend pointless social media grandstanding. It was brave to stand up to antisemites in 1938, in 2016? It's sort of a given that the majority of the world's population are not antisemitic. Unless of course you start dredging up poo poo like ethnic biotruths like how arabs are irrationally hateful toward jews or some other nationalist chauvinist talking points.

The "social media grandstanding" he's so aghast at? It's a way of expressing solidarity against antisemitism, which he felt compelled to speak up against despite the tweet he was commenting about didn't have it.

Ultramega posted:

She needs to put the triple parentheses around her twitter handle to show that she's down with the zionist conspiracy and all that stupid bullshit.

Please don't do that if you have a twitter account. Not even in solidarity. It just looks goofy.

Was that a post exclusively about making an isolated point about the collection and interpretation of cross-sectional data? If it was merely stating a statistical fact, I happily agree that the quarter of earth's population that holds antisemitic views(and a much higher proportion in certain regions, like 76% in the Middle East) is numerically smaller than a full half of the human species.

But it is my contention that it was not. In fact, I believe that it's a post that attempts to downplay the threat posed by antisemitism, and the claim that less than half the world is antisemitic was adduced as an argument in favor of that position. Furthermore, when considered with the insistence that it's not "brave" to stand up to antisemitism in 2016 and the unprompted need to attack a show of solidarity against antisemitism, I would contend that this is the most reasonable interpretation. Allow me to demonstrate by a sort of analogy:

Ultramega posted:

Jesus christ you are an idiot. You sound like a loving debate team dweeb who mentally rubs his hands together and thinks "mmwahaha he just committed a dutch wheelbarrow fallacy, i'll show him!" And no I'm not being 'strangely adverse' to saying what I'm thinking. Again, you're coming off like you're overanticipating some debate setup trick. I don't know how much more plainly I can state what I said. And that is more of a failing on my part because compared to the likes of a lot of other people in this thread I'm nowhere near as eloquent. What is it exactly you're waiting for me to say? To just casually drop a sentence like "well, i don't really like heebs but it's 2016..." or some bullshit? Why are you even still here? loving answer the tons of hard questions everyone keeps asking you, chickenshit.

One more thing, my family is Roma/Sinti on my father's side. Maybe you remember me mentioning it in the thread earlier? What is your stance on elie wiesel's active erasure of the Porajmos and the targetted extermination of people other than jews in the holocaust? Do you even care? Maybe make a post where I too can play the hurt semantics game and I pick apart your post to create phantom talking points I too can latch onto in order to make you sound like you hate gypsies or something.

Would you interpret the following statement as one expressing an argument that antiziganism is a less serious problem than has been asserted? As a disclaimer let me note that I am not expressing such an ugly belief myself, just offering it as a thought experiment.

quote:

I'm not surprised you of all people would defend pointless social media grandstanding. It was brave to stand up to antiziganists in 1938, in 2016? It's sort of a given that the majority of the world's population are not antiziganist. Unless of course you start dredging up poo poo like ethnic biotruths like how non-Romani are irrationally hateful toward Romani or some other chauvinist talking points.

Now perhaps I have it all wrong and Ultramega does realize that antisemitism poses a serious and growing danger in the world today, one that should not be discounted or dismissed. If that's the case, I would be happy to hear him say so.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm telling you your hypothetical is dumb.

Even in a hypothetical one-state scenario where Israel and Palestine are politically united into a single administration, Hamas would not have complete control over it.

Since the South African example often comes up, here's the first post-Apartheid South African parliament. Notice how the ANC does not have 100% of the seats. And that's with a population where the former oppressors were in a clear minority (less than 20%). The population of Israel is over 8 millions, including over 6 million Jews; that of occupied Palestine is about 5 millions, of which over half a million are settlers. You'd get a combined population of 6.683 million Jews and 6.238 million Arabs; my god does that smell like "absolute total control to Hamas for sure".

What makes you imagine that Hamas, an organization that was foundationally antisemitic and eliminationist and still clings to Palestinian revanchism and a Palestinian state from the river to the sea, would accept entering into a parliamentary government on equal terms with Jewish Israelis? Even if we were to take this fantasy seriously, let's say that a Hamas-led coalition takes control of the new Israeltinian government. What would Hamas do with control of the IDF and all the other mechanisms of state violence? Given that it has constantly insisted on a revanchist fantasy of reclaiming every inch of land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

What makes you imagine that Hamas would obtain power over six million Jewish Israeli without their explicit consent?

It couldn't, of course. Which is why one-state fantasies of a political union that could somehow come to pass without the consent of the Israeli polity are wildly infeasible.

The point is if you're going to talk about a " hypothetical one-state scenario" where Hamas would exist as a political entity within said state and with the concomitant possibility of it wielding the state's monopoly on violence you can no longer just downplay the inconvenient fact that Hamas is a genocidally antisemitic terrorist organization by insisting that it has effectively no real power to carry out its plans.