Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

One state is the only plausible way forward at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Had a conversation about the protests where this guy basically said all the shootings were justified because Israel has a right to protect it's borders and those killed were all Hamas members.

Argued with him for a bit before he straight up said that there's nothing that would stop him from supporting Israel.

:kingsley:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also, it wouldn't be unfair to point out that a huge proportion of Americans are also bloodthirsty psychopaths.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The few younger Jews I've discussed Palestine with have been mixed on the issue. I'd say about half were indifferent and the other half were incredibly racist and reactionary. I would broadly describe all of them as "liberal" outside if this issue though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BDS is war, but gunning down unarmed civilians is ok because they might have voted for the wrong people more than a decade ago.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You're both reprehensible and incoherent my dude.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I love how, by default, Israeli concern about having to share power with other ethnic groups is deemed reasonable, but Palestinian concern about having more or less no political power at all is "too demanding".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's understandable why some would think letting every member of a certain ethnic group migrate freely to some territory already occupied by members of another ethnicity lead to large scale ethnic cleansing, after all that's what happened in 1948.

You're justifying ethnic cleansing because you're worried ethnic cleansing might happen if you don't

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No, it was just some dark humor highlighting the irony of KJI's and DR's line of argumentation.

Poe's law my friend.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not about denying franchise, it's that Israelis don't want to grant citizenship to a group of people they are still de facto at war with.

Like I said, if your position is, "all Palestinians have a right to be citizens of Israel, all citizens have a right to vote, drat the consequences" then that's fine, but surely you can understand how people who can easily foresee themselves or their families bearing the brunt of those consequences might see it differently.

You seem like the type of racist dipshit who would defend Japanese internment camps.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Burkina Faso sort of, India...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You can argue that Israel doesn't have an explicit endgame but it's pretty clear they do.

They will continue to support settlements fairly directly while pressing the boot harder and harder on the throat of the Palestinians until none are left.

The status quo right now is the Israeli endgame.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

VideoGameVet posted:

It won't work. Stunts like "Spectators Watching Unarmed Palestinians Getting Shot" will drive more and more people into the "Israelis are Monsters" camp and eventually, the world (and the USA) will turn against them.

A contiguous (no settler 'holes') Independent Palestinian State needs to happen ASAP if this eventual slide doesn't end Israel as the Israelis want it to be.

They are just too under the influence of "Siege Mentality" to realize it.

At this point I don't see how it matters if the world turns against them.

They absolutely do not need the US to subsidize their military at this point and I don't see what else can really be done.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The only difference between liberal and conservative zionists is the timetable.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is Abbas even popularly supported at this point?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am I correct in understanding that the last election in the West Bank was in 2005?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Hamas alone can't muster tens of thousands of civilians to charge into literal loving gunfire from uniformed troops. This is grassroots. And where have you read about the protesters having guns? I haven't seen any mention of that.

The repated assertion that Gazans are mindless puppets of Hamas is insanely racist too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s that weird thing he’s got in his hand? A slingshot? A camera? A crutch?

It's a sling. You put a stone in the pouch at the end, then spin it around and let go of one of the strings sending the rock flying.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

guidoanselmi posted:

They were aiming for the legs & got confused. Normal accident, most humane outcome. Nothing to see here.

Even if it's to be believed that they arent aiming for center of mass, a .308 to the leg will likely kill you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the body count up to?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Death to weebs

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kim Jong Il posted:

No it isn't. We have a decade's worth of evidence against that. We have the past few weeks of decreasing protests until today. This is a crescendo before a steady drip of low grade misery.

And this proves my point. Saying Israel are Nazis when they haven't actually killed millions, when their neighbors to the north have killed about 100x the civilians and get a pass from half of the left, crowds out fact-based criticism. And in fact, proposals to drop a nuclear bomb are a lot more Nazi-like than anything they've actually done.

And they're pretty much synonymous with Judaism. Read the Book of Joshua. There's not much of a distinction between the Torah and modern day Israel.

The idea that the left gives violent dictators a pass is such diseneguous bullshit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Your Parents posted:

not sure what syria and lebanon have to do with comparing israel and palestine's numbers. israel is not currently attempting to genocide the syrians or lebanese.

No but you see, Dictators do bad things therefore it's unfair to criticize apartheid.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Miftan posted:

I'm not excusing it, I'm giving you background on why it's happening. Those things aren't mutually exclusive, and I'm sorry if it came off that way. This isn't the easiest thing in the world to talk about for me because it means I have to own up to being complicit in that poo poo.

It really didn't come off that way, that poster is reaching.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

well the soldier who was filmed straight up executing a bound man, remember him?
he was recently released after serving 9 out of his sentenced 12 months.

I feel certain that no sniper will even spend a day in court.

There is no chance these murderers will be reprimanded in any way for sure.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

XMNN posted:

From the GBS thread:

it's beyond parody

He's clearly making a terror kite and not a molotov in that middle picture

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

So weird how the Israel apologists dissspear into the walls when we're discussing the intentional murder of medical personnel.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm just going to assume they are intentionally mistranslating here, right?

It would be comical if it wasn't so tragic.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You are such a disengenuous shithead.

The idea that any jewish person has the same claim to the land that a Palestinian would is ridiculous.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

zapplez posted:

Is Israel really bad for civil rights compared to the rest of the middle east? I thought it was one of the few countries within a 1000 km that wouldn't throw you off a tower for being gay. And they let their women hold down jobs and drive cars. Seems pretty progressive compared to everything around it.

As long as you're not the 1/3rd of the population that effectively do not have human rights, it's great!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am I to understand that Birthright is suing a group of tourists for having the tenacity to speak to a Palestinian?

Isn't the lawsuit just going to call more attention to this?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is KJI seriously going to argue that the settlements are illegal under Israeli law? If they aren't willing to enforce that law under any circumstances then it really isn't illegal.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

The only reason there was even an election in the first place was because the pro-peace Prime Minister was assassinated by right-wing extremists for signing a peace deal, which directly led to Netanyahu gutting Oslo, because Israeli right-wing ethnonationalists are the ones who benefit the most (by far) from Gaza being in misery and permanent war. Putting the blame for Israel's deliberate undermining of the Oslo Accords on Hamas is downright ridiculous. Why is it that Israel is never responsible for its own actions?

I also want to point out that even the "pro-peace" Prime Minister believed that the settlements were necessary.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kim Jong Il posted:

That's not what I meant. The large settlement blocs are legal *under Israeli law*, and most of them Israel will likely keep the bulk of them in any deal via land swaps. Hopefully not Ariel though. I'm talking about the random outposts which are a handful of people in trailers that an overwhelming majority of Israelis despise.

When you look at this map - while indeed that's the extent of what's happened, the overwhelming majority of the landmass are temporary structures that are easily destroyed and withdrawn from. The actual reality of permanent Israeli settlement looks more like the concrete proposals they have made to the Palestinians, like this:

Obv. there are other issues like Israel wanting to maintain a presence in the Jordan Valley, which I oppose.

It's so weird how Israel hasn't even attempted to offer these terms in almost twenty years. I'm.sure the political timing just isn't right.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Has there ever been a "strongman" leader who isn't just a giant baby with an army at his command?

Most of them are like that tbh

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Preen Dog posted:

So you can't even consider that realpolitik rules, even when if you don't like it?

Good night.

That's not what realpolitik means

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Definitely not fascist at all.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dunno about you guys but I'm digging this whole 'Bibi delivers a morally ambiguous comic book villain monologue on Twitter' thing.

:frogout:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Israel should stop hiding their soldiers behind civilians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what's Israel's chief rabbi's stance on whether or not the people killed in the synagogue shooting last weekend are roasting in hell, for their crime of pretending any synagogue not in Israel is actually a synagogue, KJI

out of question.

I thought there wasn't a hell in Judaism