Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Was this "Arab citizens of Israel protest the vote" a natural occurrence in that community or is it a disinformation campaign like what happened in the US in 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm not sure exactly what "gotcha" you think you have here Owl, but you don't.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If you think about it, every slave rebellion was actually bad. Taking people's property outside the legal system? I think you'll find there were bad people on both sides.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Anyone hear about this? Supposedly some Israeli settlement advocates backed by Israeli police stormed Al Aqsa, but I can only find one source on it that I do not recognize.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i'm talking in general not about whatever weird slapfight you're in the middle of bud

Do you mean the discussion you busted your way into?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is an absolutely fantastic example of "proof you can't do anything". The entire world, including at times the US, considers those occupations of Palestinian land by Israeli groups to be illegal and a violation of international law. All B&J's is doing is not selling ice cream in those specific areas. That even this extremely targeted and mild protest is getting this kind of pushback is the international equivalent of the Bors cartoon where you're not allowed to protest, you're just allowed to die.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

Hold on, they're only stop the sale in the west bank?? Are they still gonna sell in Israel?

Correct, everyone rallying against this is specifically saying the settlements should not be hampered in any way.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Dumb question: But if you don't sell in occupied territories and do sell in Israel this only stops Palestinians from buying right?

I don't think Palestinian sections of the West Bank count as occupied, but also did Israel let Palestinians have ice cream in the first place?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah I'm not sure why I should assume Israel lets Palestinians have anything in Gaza or the West Bank, but if the question is "doesn't this mean no Palestinians get Ben and Jerry's either" that includes people in Gaza, who have a very strict embargo imposed on them.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Just as an update I looked into it and from what I am seeing the consensus is that this distributor didn't distribute to Palestinians areas anyway so all the takes about this only negatively affecting Palestinians who want ice cream are apparently bunk.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Is this letter claiming that NY pension funds are invested in a foreign country? Is that true?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

There has actually been some updates to this, all the Labor and Meretz members pulled their names and reaffirmed commitment to a two state solution, so some good-ish news for once.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Had an odd debate on reddit- to the extent you can debate anything on reddit- where I was trying to expain that there is an entire system set up in the Israeli government to take over Palestinian land. Their proof that there wasn't a systemic attempt to take Palestinian land was a Israeli Supreme Court decision that said Israel had a right to Palestinian land.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It was an honest mistake that I shot at people

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Wow I completely missed that ( ) the first time I read the comment. What a dumb thing to say.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Imagine trying to compare this to BLM

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I can't make it though that video but I love that they started with "kids play pretend what they see every day in their lives, which is their families being killed, so as you can see this clearly means they are the bad guys."

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Unfortunate evidence that the right is not entirely wrong when they say "but who will decide what is hate speech and what speech is banned", even if they are personally arguing in bad faith.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Missile interception doesn't make sense, since it doesn't solve the "Hamas doesn't have powerful rockets" issue, and I don't think intercept munitions have the kind of playload/force to cause the hospital explosion.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I think it's fair to say that, if you drill down enough, you can make average citizens of any country complicit for the larger group, which is precisely why you shouldn't justify the deaths of any civilians with "well technically they're complicit because they vote/they didn't stage a coup/some other thing".

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
People were ethnically cleansed from homes their families have had for hundreds of years, 1000 year old olive trees were taken from generations of the same farmers, but yes this is actually a constant battle going on for 4000 years.

I think some people believe time goes diaspora immediately into crusades, and the crusades ended in 1947.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

BUUNNI posted:

Seems like Biden has been supporting Israeli war crimes for decades.

https://twitter.com/ShibleyTelhami/status/1725297204586258751

So what you're saying is Biden is to the right of both Reagan and Begin when it comes to indiscriminately bombing innocent people. Yikes.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1733085640583966767?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Unfortunately, it looks like the men in underwear were indeed taken from UN school shelters, in case the situation wasn't warcrimey enough.

Speaking of Israel performing acts that ensure more conflict down the road, I'm sure "if you're a man over 18 they'll just treat you like a terrorist no matter what so why not join the resistance" will be used by a lot of recruiters.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Every time I think Biden can't say something grosser about Israel than he already has I am proven wrong.

Even more galling than the "actually Jews in the US, the country I am president of, are not safe", there's the obvious fact that Israel has made the world less safe for Jews in the diaspora.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Nameless_Steve posted:

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda. Especially after they were caught inflating the death toll of the Al-Ahli parking lot bombing by 450+, the media should have stopped reporting their numbers at all instead of merely including that disclaimer.

When did they confirm that 950 people died in that bombing?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This hand wringing about how Israel must be allowed any response to 7/10 specifically because of all the innocent people that died rings a little hollow when Hamas had a better military to civilian kill ratio than Israel does in this current conflict, and all the Palestinian civilian deaths are dismissed as something that just happens in war, so sad too bad.

Much like the kidnapping posters that are still up on 85th Street of the people Israel killed while they were surrendering, it feels like propaganda to allow for whatever autocracy Israel chooses to do how dare you question us, regardless of how hypocritical it is.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Kchama posted:

I'm not sure what language you speak that can stuff so much meaning into a single word? In the plain Arabic he says "Jews", not "the Jewish Elite". If there's that much to be inferred, I don't think a non-Yemeni could divine it. It really comes across as you trying to shove your own meaning into what he says to try and protect him. I don't think he'd appreciate it.

I don't speak Arabic, but I speak Japanese, and there are grammatical principals in Japanese where adding an inflection or the sound ん to the end of your word basically puts a whole sentence of context behind it so I wouldn't be so quick to be flippant about the idea of language packing a lot of meaning behind seemingly small, innocuous changes that don't show up on Google translate.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So anyway I started blasting

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Please be sure to give a spore friendly thumbs up.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
No it's weird and gross, and the only thing it is producing is a lot of side eye from the lurkers here like myself.

They specifically brought it up asking for heavy sanctions on Israel so that loss of life was halted on both sides and the reaction to that sentiment was completely disproportionate and jarring, attacking generic people rather than the governments commanding them.

I wonder what some of the people here would have said to someone [e: that had family die on both sides of the American Civil War]

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 2, 2024

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Ok, well what about this guy?

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/article-785155

quote:

This only strengthens what we have known for a long time – UNRWA is not part of the solution, it is part of the problem.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Good, lengthy thread on the IDF's latest round of bullshit, this time about a 'Hamas command centre' under the UNRWA headquarters.

https://x.com/michakobs/status/1756821215212130459?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Is there a good way to see twitter threads for those of us with no accounts?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Wild how many friends I know that marched for George Floyd or posted "riots are the voices of the unheard" but could not give two shits about anything Israel does.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Owling Howl posted:

Not giving a poo poo about a war is the standard norm though and the war in Gaza is mainly abnormal in the coverage it gets. In Congo M23 is effectively besieging Goma, a city of a million people. Half a million people have died in Sudan/Ethiopia over the last 2 years. Haiti is practically a failed state or in a defacto civil war. Not a single soul in the West gives the tiniest nano-poo poo.

There's a difference between not really knowing/caring about a conflict at all, and going out of your way to excuse the actions of one side of a conflict and disparage the other, which is more my experience with IP than straight indifference.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Right, so they're saying the US won't even put in the meaningless gesture that they care about the people in Gaza.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Imagine being a city comptroller in Gaza right now.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've heard those deer are vicious if you don't have a steady supply of deer treats

I took a newspaper from a deer in Miyajima and it started eating a motorcycle seat.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Stringent posted:

Pretty sure this is bullshit. I'm not really familiar with the Jerusalem Post, but given the other content on their Twitter feed* I'd be willing to bet that story is just clickbait.

I mean im sure there are studies being done by the White House on Netanyahu's political vitality but that's a far cry from actively trying to overthrow him.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

quote:

The plot of land Israel picked wasn't empty.

Well okay but I don't think its particularly relevant.

People are still responding to this person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Kalit posted:

Netanyahu is not Biden and has literally 0 say over this port.

I can’t believe I actually have to seriously point this out instead of simply telling you both to stop trolling :rolleyes:

It's literally his idea, and the US went along with it.