Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah, maybe the IDF are exaggerating a bit. i don't loving care.

Israel/Palestine: yeah, maybe the IDF are exaggerating a bit. i don't loving care.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 12, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

U.S. finally telling Israel to cool it a little.

So, not openly telling them in a public manner.

Just (maybe if it's true) politely suggesting it in back-channel communications.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

rot in hell koos you stupid sack of poo poo

For real. There are two sources in the post, even.

~mArTiAl LaW~ though, mods don't have to make sense. You were warned!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Koos Group posted:

The primary source the person was claiming was the health ministry, and it wasn't linked, while the person's credibility also was not established. This puts onus on others to verify the information and is thereby going against the thread's first guideline, which is that one should provide proof of their claims themselves rather than putting this burden on others. It would not have been difficult to wait a bit for confirmation, as there have been reports by NBC News and Time within a few hours of that tweet being posted (ex: https://time.com/6323482/israel-white-phosphorus-gaza-lebanon/ ).

For further commentary or questions about this policy, please PM me.

Who the gently caress is "YASMEEN SERHAN." I feel like you're putting the onus on me to research who the journalist is that you linked to. What you linked to is not a primary source for what is being claimed and has no proof in and of itself. Please do not put the burden on other posters.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nah, this was good faith trolling, dipshit. You even admitted shortly after this probe that you were applying this dumb rule wrong. gently caress you.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 15, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Paladinus posted:

Well, as long as Israel is perceived to conduct a just war with the stated purpose of defeating HAMAS, framing evacuation of civilians as ethnic cleansing is a tall order. Evacuating people due to a natural disaster, for example, is absolutely not ethnic cleansing on its own. Identifying how much actions align with stated intentions, and how much other countries may prefer not to see any discrepancies is a separate issue.

This is not a "natural disaster." Can you provide reasons why you think this, a man-made situation, is comparable to a natural disaster?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Hospitals are defying this under a shroud of righteousness,

So, you're arguing that these hospitals are only pretending to help sick and injured people? Can you please provide evidence for this claim?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I’m not advocating for any side. I’m discussing the shaky justifications western leaders must be sticking to in order to justify their current stance.

Yes, you are advocating for one side. You clearly stated that hospitals were a "shroud of righteousness" aka fake hospitals and you want the doctors and patients to leave but won't respond about how to do so.

If you "aren't advocating for both sides, then please outline how you think Israel is equally bad.

Edit: Please be clear though, when I have questioned you on supporting war crimes, wanting hospitals to be bombed, and saying ghoulish things in general I AM NOT taking a side re: you versus all of the other people pointing out how horrendous you are. I am impartial and merely making observations and asking questions.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 19, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

What I am pointing out is that physicians running the hospital are crossing a line between Hippocratic oath and Geneva protections

So, when you said you "weren't taking sides" you meant "I'm taking sides but don't want to be held accountable for it."

And after dozens of people have asked, including myself in the post you were responding to, "where do the doctors etc go" you STILL won't answer it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Biden has considered himself a “Zionist at heart”, so we’re all pretty screwed watching this senile twat being unable to control Israel. It’s too late to primary him out

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/wireStory/zionist-heart-bidens-devotion-israel-faces-new-test-103930479

None of what you said was a response to what you quoted.

Anyways where are the doctors and patients supposed to go and how?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

NovemberMike posted:

something specifically designed not to kill too many people

Not kill "too many people"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wins32767 posted:

D&D premise is inherently liberal, it's that rational discussion can change minds. The authoritarian impulse to silence someone you disagree with isn't how functioning liberalism works.

For something like reacting to "Doctors helping patients is bad, actually, and they are the same as terrorists" I'm not sure if "silence someone you disagree with" is doing enough heavy lifting.

Like, "oh, no. where will discourse be if we can't argue that doctors are terrorists, actually"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pvt. Parts posted:

As soon as the simple act of trying get to the truth of the matter is perceived as "just asking questions"—casting doubt as an political device—then we fall back on the next best things being educated guesses, whim, gut feelings, intuition, etc., all of which are infamously horrible at tracking anything substantive. Einstein was "just asking questions" when he turned Newton's theory of gravitation on its head and revolutionized our understanding of all space and time.

You established "just asking questions" as "casting doubt as an [sic] political device" but then your supporting example is physics and not related to what you were talking about at all.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's easy to make a point when you ignore the blatantly obvious.

Dude you just literally said this:

Pvt. Parts posted:

Questioning facts, statistics, etc. and getting to the truth is hallowed ground and should have unlimited clemency, no matter the supposed "intention", real or perceived.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If you spend all day on hallowed ground, you'll never get your grocery shopping done.

The problem is not that that people are asking questions about exactly what's happening, the problem is that our leaders in politics and media are focusing on questions with little immediate significance (did 6500 Palestinians die, or 7000, or 7500, who fired off which missile exactly) in a way that distracts from the urgent crisis (the Israeli bombing campaign is killing thousands of innocent people, how do we stop this)

Cool, I wasn't the person who said that.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 27, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pvt. Parts posted:

In my first usage I was using it in the way many skeptics of the "practice" use it, where they believe it to be a subversion technique. Which it very well may be in any particular instance. My second usage was my demonstration of why the spirit of truth pursuit for the sake of truth pursuit is valid, as it has lead to many of the most important and good things we have. I'm most familiar with physics but the spirit of truth-seeking is largely the same across disciplines. Most technology and medicine are fruits of truth-seeking, for instance. The boon of careful examination is the point here.

Yeah, you inconsistently referred to a term with specific subjective meaning and then took the literal meaning to slap together your argument. When you said "just asking questions" in quotes re: Einstein you're referring to the bullshit use (hence your quotes) but pretended you were being consistent.

Just like "just asking questions" this was a dishonest way to attempt to make your point.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 27, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

FirstnameLastname posted:

are you literally, seriously, unironically saying that you would empathize equally with the loyal subjects of Nazi Germany as to their victims, and would find the targets of the Nazi extermination campaign attacking Nazi Germany to be reason enough to oppose the goals and organizations of those resistance fighters equally as their oppressors', and to paint them in the same light morally?

are you seriously saying that armed resistance against a genocide is the same as committing it or being complicit in its execution?

I'm trying to find another way to interpret this but as far as i can tell you are saying that? do you have the same position on things like the Harper's ferry raid or nat turner's slave rebellion? the Haitian revolution? what would an acceptable method of resisting oppression in those scenarios be for you, a petition?

also could you give some credible evidence to back your claim of hamas targeting/killing mostly civilians on oct 7th, because it seems like they were going for IDF military targets pretty extensively and attempting to take hostages, not kill people - if they were just trying to kill people, it would've made no sense to waste all that time that could be spent murdering on rounding up hostages

as far as i can tell, the israeli deaths on oct 7th are mostly military (have they released any list of names yet?) and a huge amount of, if not a majority (i have no proof of this, fwiw) of civilian deaths were likely caused by the IDF self-admittedly executing the Hannibal Directive - those kibbutz homes with the bodies of hostages and Hamas fighters in them did not get leveled by Hamas tank and artillery fire - they do not have either.

Welcome to dnd.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Pvt. Parts posted:

Maybe but following him and continuing to surround him, which is what appears to be happening in the last video

Wait, you don't have all of the information and you are making a conclusion about what happened based on what it appears like to you? Shouldn't we all have more information before coming to a conclusion?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 2, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mitztronic posted:

I feel bad for breaking the rules including any of the videos, so here are a few I looked up (I had to stop because there's only so much I could take in a day.):

Amusement Park tunnels: https://twitter.com/imshin/status/1721963920464679247 (from IDF)

All that shows is a hole in the ground. Not tunnels and not even one tunnel singlular.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

mitztronic posted:

I’ve been consuming footage from both sides (both are obviously propaganda, so it’s very difficult to try to understand what we’re seeing),

You posted video of a hole in the ground as footage proof of (as you said) "tunnels." You're not quite consuming footage. It's like reviewing a movie based on a blurb but you already had a positive opinion of the movie based on what you heard about it already.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: nevermind. Shouldn't respond to just asking questions people.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 8, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

This reminds me of the aftermath of 10/7 where a bunch of celebrities were posting "footage" from Gaza that turned out to be footage from the current conflict but were from years ago.

Like "cool, here's a video on reddit. Since it's labelled as 'hamas attacks idf' and there are nondescript images then that description must be correct."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Viller posted:

What Hezbollah is doing in Israel would be an act of war for any other country.

Hezbollah isn't a country.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 12, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait why are five American helicopter crew dead in Israel? Any information on what happened? Is this an operational loss? Friendly fire?

If you knew that this happened why didn't you read whatever you found?

Jaq off

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 14, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I said come in! posted:

It wouldn't surprise me either to learn that part of Israel's strategy is to inflict deaths long term. Starving the population, and letting them die of disease, are things Israel did to Lebanon in the early 80s, and they are doing it here too. Haven't really heard anything official about deaths due to starvation and disease, but it has got to be happening at this point. The IDF has cut off access to any hospitals in Gaza city, so the death toll now is going to really skyrocket.

And apologist rhetoric will be "did they die from Israeli starvation/dehydration or with Israeli starvation/dehydration."

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 27, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this or joke or we going with “IDF deepfaked all the footage”

I guess we'll never know if they destroy the evidence.

punishedkissinger posted:

Likely the IDF killed many civilians with their own indiscriminate fire which has been documented by numerous outlets.

This, too.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Serotoning posted:

I hope that you and others in this thread apply the same rabid skepticism to Hamas and Hamas-aligned Palestine.

So on one hand "don't be skeptical and ask for more information" because that's "rabid" and also:

Serotoning posted:

The real distraction is accusing anything of anyone wanting to know more information, because information "matters" not until it is interpreted by a human brain; to a politically healthy mind, more information is always strictly a boon, and its pursuit is an absolute.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 8, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kalit posted:

I feel like this shouldn't need to be said, but this kind of Donald the Dove style argument is ridiculous.

For an easy example to show that Trump liked to do more than "saying the n-word", we can look at him killing civilian minorities via drones at a higher rate than even Obama.

What you quoted was talking about Biden having a negative impact against POC. Do you agree or disagree with that?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

zoxnox posted:

So glad we have the Stormfront brigade here to continually remind us that no crimes have ever been perpetrated against Jews (at least that they didn't deserve).

Can you quote where this is being said?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ummel posted:

The point of my dumb post is that there's a lot to be upset about. Don't subject yourself to dumb TikTok rage bait, imo.

Otoh, one significant resource for understanding past conflicts in history, and the actors in them, is communications between eachother. Letters between soldiers or their families for instance. We now get to see what these people are thinking in real time. Extra value when they openly admit they're doing war crimes.

Edit: poo poo the Abu Graib bs came out in a similar fashion and showed the world what we were doing there.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

ummel posted:

The point of my dumb post is that there's a lot to be upset about. Don't subject yourself to dumb TikTok rage bait, imo.

The Sean posted:

Otoh, one significant resource for understanding past conflicts in history, and the actors in them, is communications between eachother. Letters between soldiers or their families for instance. We now get to see what these people are thinking in real time. Extra value when they openly admit they're doing war crimes.

Edit: poo poo the Abu Graib bs came out in a similar fashion and showed the world what we were doing there.

Coming back to this. Now their social media posts are being brought up in international court. poo poo matters.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Hamas recently executed an attack that killed hundreds of Israeli civilians and hundreds more soldiers, sent hundreds of thousands into internal displacement, and generally placed the entire nation into a state of humiliated fury - the threat is obvious and highly salient.

To be clear, you think that sending hundreds of thousands of people into displacement and humiliated fury is a bad thing? I want to be clear on your position before I give a more detailed response.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kchama posted:

Because non-military police aren't military is the big difference, I wager. Legal distinction matters a lot, even if it is dumb. I mean, they still committed many major international crimes doing it, just not the war crimes type.

If I'm reading this right: "semantics are more important, even though they're dumb"

I can't figure this out otherwise. Like if, for instance, genocide were only classified as a misdemeanor it wouldn't be as bad as murder because it's technically in a different legal category? Really? Even though it would be dumb, that's how it's classified and that's what we should focus on? Categorization is key over substance?

OctaMurk posted:

If you send civilian police to enforce a military occupation, are they not defacto paramilitary combatants? Is "these aren't soldiers" really just a get out of jail free card for war crimes?

Like this, if they are not classified as military, but they're doing military-seeming things (that are not different than military actions--but the worker isn't classified as such) its technically not military actions?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 1, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kalit posted:

You don't think it's possible that Bibi might overstate the importance? As any person in power might do to ensure there is literally no chance to run out of weapons in the worst possible scenario?

Oh, just asking questions. I see. Makes me think anything is possible if you just ask if it's possible. Proof or evidence isn't really needed.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kalit posted:

The US absolutely asks how high when Israel says jump. Anyone who has been paying attention to the history of our alliance should know that’s true.

But back to the specific instance, why would the US care enough to know if Israel is 100% truthful or not? They’re selling weapons to an ally. Which, in general, is a positive thing in the eyes of the government and most of the populace.

Why would we care if our weapons were used for bad things like murdering innocents or committing genocide? Seriously?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BRJurgis posted:

Those both seem to be true.

Kalit posted:

From the tone of exasperation of The Sean's statement (i.e. "Seriously?"), they seemed to object to my statement. Which is why I responded with that reminder.

Being "further left" is an overall description of a bundle of issues.

We are talking about this one issue here and as others have provided sources for, "the populace" isn't overwhelmingly in favor of Israel's recent actions with the weapons we're giving them.

And the response you gave didn't address the killing of innocents or committing genocide. Just something about political opinions.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 15, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

How is any of this relevant? What is the point you are trying to make? Could you explain why it is so important that the IDF could sustain or not without US aid or what relevance the difference between public opinion vs here is to the point you’re actually trying to make?

Yes. I would like to know, too. I don't understand how it related to the discussion.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

idontpost69 posted:

news agencies traditionally under report suicides to prevent it from being a tipping point for at risk individuals.

Do you have a source for this?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Biden doesn't know what Biden is talking about.

I still posit that there's way worse than Biden. Remember the GOP and Trump [...]

Biden not knowing about what he's talking about is a completely important issue that should not be ignored (or lying purposefully, even, as the OP you quoted said). I also don't think it's important to have Badder Guys to compare to having a really bad president who endorses genocides and, as you say, doesn't even know what he himself is talking about or is consciously lying.

Like if a friend told you they had cancer a bad response would be "there are worse diseases out there." It doesn't help the really bad condition that they are in at all and does not actually make it a good condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

National Parks posted:

What could Trump possibly do that exceeds how poorly the Biden administration has handled this?

(#1) Circumvent congress to keep arming Israel so they can continue to bomb civilians?

Orthanc6 posted:

Legit I could see him try to push for #1, he might not succeed in making much difference but he'd try.

Orthan: This is something that Biden did. So, your hypothetical Trump (try for) is less bad than actual Biden (did that).

That you (and others with similar sentiment) didn't know that and also attributed it to the Big Bad Guy We Must Stop is the whole problem with how liberals are defending Biden's genocide. The made up scenario that's "worse" is the actual scenario right now but "it could be worse" becomes an excuse to ignore reality.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 29, 2024