Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

If you want to start as a Ranger/Witch/Shadow and be life-based you're basically forced to take the Scion life wheel.

Bullshit. If you ask IoT, he will tell you Im the most life-horny player in our guild. Im going to play a melee ranger on hc. I will not take the scion life wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

armour/US/IR/block build?

dw crit dagger reave. EV/Phase acro/6k+ life

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No. I dont go west of duelist at all. Here's my work-in-progress tree (needs updated offline calc). I cant make up my mind about the shadow-area, because of the clusterfuck that is the new nodes there. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. One option I'm considering is dropping the damage nodes below shadow crit for frenzy charges. I could also try to work in weapon artistry/aspect of the lynx.

E: This isnt something I've come up with myself btw. I came across this and tried to update it to 2.1.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

I should rephrase and say that it is possible, but quite a lot less efficient. Your character at level 93-96 (depending upon act 2 skillpoints vs other benefits) has 193% life and 154% evasion, vs the random level 80 cyclone marauder I just threw together that ends up with 210% life and 186% armor with 13 less points spent.

It also does a buttload more damage over a LOT larger aoe

funmanguy posted:

Also, you a brave man rat, going melee acro. I wouldn't do that in sc.

With 6k+ hp and fortify in the main attack link, it'll be entirely fine. Until I fight that loving dog again.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Surely that should say "Sponsored by Rodent" somewhere? :colbert:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

Is the buff to spec throw enough to make it viable? I got banans when they were on sale last and I haven't played that build...

I figure the style is flexible enough to throw whatever talisman challenge throws at us, but I don't wanna totally gimp my first character...

That being said, I think my first main will be a support so I can just leech other peoples maps when I actually have time to play so :P

I know mathil showed it was viable with INSANE gear in darkshrine, but...I don't want to rely on a 6 t2+ mod weapon dropping...

Mathil also talks about how his damage is still great with a weapon in the chaos range. Also you're understating "viable" a bit I feel, He killed uber in a 5-week league with an ele build. As for 2.1, you can now drop blood magic and life leech gem because you get attack damage mana + life leech on the tree. Thats going to be absolutely bonkers. I'm in the process of convincing myself to play ST instead of reave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvUeK3pmu-g <- Mathil's crit ele sword st guide
poeurl.com/tiT <- Mathil's preliminary 2.1 build (needs new offline planner)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Katasi posted:

It just occurred to me that the changes to Lightning Strike could make Mjolner good again, does anyone know if that would be enough to make it strong?

????????

SuicideSnowman posted:

I wonder of the radius increase on Detonate Dead would make it a viable skill, I've always found it kind of lacking in PoE. In Diablo 2 I had a blast with a corpse explosion build back in the day.

I really hate the mechanics of detonate dead when prolif is no longer viable. It used to be one of my favorite skills, but I dont really see it being that comfortable unless they make prolif better.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Babby's first build should always be 2h cyclone in my opinion.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1302337 should be a good guide

Katasi posted:

Maybe I was misunderstanding, but I thought Mjolner got dumpstered a couple patches ago.

They nerfed the dps from roflcopter to roflol. To compensate, they added Kingsguard which makes it almost impossible to die.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

mother comessssss

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

AegisP posted:

Hey, sometimes you just have to fight Cruel Daresso having just transitioned over into your ES/life hybrid build, get him down to ~10% hp, not dodge his attacks and not TP out when your flasks are all empty thinking you can kill him before anything bad happens.

Bad things happened.

This is basically the first lesson of HC. Dont think. Know. And never fight anything remotely dangerous without flask charges.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I fought a dog. Dont fight dogs.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Old ones exist as legacy on standard/hardcore.

Mystery Prize posted:

Village Ruin? That dog is a murderer, straight up one shotted me through like 25k armor and 7500 hp when he was enraged. Learned that lesson real fast.

Yeah, he's the one that ended my top10 ambitions in tempest. Was my own fault though. I specifically told the guy I was running with that I was low on flask charges and that my endurance charges dropped, but I chose to go in anyway and got charged and bled to death in half a second.

In summary:

TheRat posted:

This is basically the first lesson of HC. Dont think. Know. And never fight anything remotely dangerous without flask charges.

I didnt follow my own advice.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, I'm probably never going crit spellcaster again.

Crit multi is pretty good too.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

stanislaus posted:

I keep trying to make crit ele frost blades/lightning strike builds but I'm pretty sure reave will still be strictly better in almost every situation. gently caress reave

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...NXb1ElRLOmGsw==

I made a ST crit dagger spec throw build, but I'm pretty sure it will be a good LS build aswell.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

funmanguy posted:

That it is, but it is a dying stat that is being hunted to extinction on the skill tree.

Edit http://www.twitch.tv/draskyl

And yet we still do more damage than we can survive on reflect :v:

Vasudus posted:

Oh, it is, absolutely. I'm just glad that I don't have to go balls out with crit and get poo poo like Maligaro's gloves and other assorted things.

Did you play 1.1? non-crit Arc in 1.1-1.2 was cray-cray. You'd 4link it in a Vertex or that cheap +1 helmet I cant remember the name of and just own the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buKn1ua9nEc obligatory foxtactics link

TheRat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 11, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Here lies Rodenttt. He wasnt paying attention in a beyond map. Oh well, it was a good run.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dear lord, you're being pretty dumb.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MannersPlease posted:

GGG changed my name to BeNiceToMuslims. Now I can still get my point accross without offending all you PC babies. lmao

I think our point is less that we're offended and more that you're really dumb.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

People requested a short writeup about my groundslammer so here goes:

I wanted to remake Ghudda's RT DW groundslammer, which he shows off in this video.

There's a few changes from back then:

* GS has buit in increased AoE now, so we dont have to path to templar nodes
* Fortify has been added to the game, and its an excellent main skill support together with the fortify nodes on the tree.
* Life leech has been completely reworked and is really really strong even without cherrubim's maleficence
* Bloodrage is phys degen so we can use it for massive attackspeed bonus and frenzy generation
* Frenzy charges have been buffed
* Aura curses have been added, making for better leech, better stun and automatic endurance charge generation

With this in mind, my skilltree looks something like this.

Mainhand weapon is a fast, high physical damage mace. The faster the better. Offhand is Prismatic Eclipse with 2-3 green sockets. I'm currently using 2 because I want a red socket for increased duration. You dont need movement speed on boots, because all your travelling will be done with superfast leapslam. The rest of your gear should just be armour, life, resistances and flat physical damage. You're also gonna need a fair bit of int and dex on gear/the tree.

Links:
Ground slam->Multistrike->Melee phys->Fortify->Increaed AOE
Blood magic->Leap slam->Faster attacks->Enduring Cry
Hatred | Summon Flame Golem->Blind
Blasphemy->Warlords mark
Bloodrage->Vaal haste->Increased Duration

Playstyle is to just leap around like a bunny on aderall and slam the poo poo out of everything.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3i1n2mIpHQ Short gameplay video
E2: I'm also using the new unique jewel that changes GS radius

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 19, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1396515 is a solid voltaxic build

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Totems and pure RF builds can do pretty much everything onehanded. You're going to have to practice your potting though.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

2h axes have more weapon range. Always cyclone with axes.

Unless you've got a lot of money, in which case you make a 7linked mace.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

Wouldn't this work with axes as well?

The mod can only be crafted on maces and staves.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Arc can be played completely selffound. Just grind dried lake until you feel like heading into maps.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Boozie posted:

I need advice for my non-crit Arc Templar. Should I go all-in on str/Iron Will and get sun crest helm and alberon boots that boost str with the Doon Mace or should I stick to some other more conventional ways for lightning damage like doryani's belt. Or a combination of the 2?

Also, if I put vaal storm in the Doon Cueb, what is the best support gem to put with it after spell echo? What about if I use a normal storm for bosses?

For non-crit arc I strongly advice getting a Geofri's crest and put arc/echo/controlled destruction/lightning pen in it. Then when/if you can afford it, upgrade that to a vertex. If you want iron will, grab a good pair of repentance gloves for global iron will. For the vaal storm call, I would suggest echo/lightning pen or echo/increased duration depending on how often you find yourself fighting very resistant mobs. Again though, repentance gloves will allow you to put this in a 4link and go for echo/duration/pen.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Istvaan ran voltaxic/rigwalds spark before it was cool

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

first few levels is all about learning to avoid damage really. Kite stuff and dont stand in the middle of everything. Try to grab some life rings.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why are you even bothering with merciless daresso?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I always die once to him on every character like that in normal and then cruel. It's starting to get kinda ridiculous

Do you have a decently high cold res when you fight him in lower difficulties? If not, trying bringing a sapphire flask. If you have low hp, low armour AND low cold res you're just going to get buttfucked.

Gibbo posted:

I get that. I just didn't know what to call Kaom and the whole organs/malachi bullshit after mapping is accessible. "Frivolous repetitive story content"?

Completionist/something to test your character with/challenge goal. Most people will grab the final skillpoint in act4 and then grind dried lake/do maps. I killed malachai merciless for the first time ever a couple of days ago, and I've got at least 20 chars above lvl80 since a4 released.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gems always get full xp of the zone, regardless of your or their level.

E: Having said that, gems only get 10% of the xp you do.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The classic gem-levelling trick used to be to run a bunch of Coward's Trials, but that was before dried lake existed so that might be just as efficient these days.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I seem to remember a 20% empower popping lvl2 when I reached around 91

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Is there a spell-based build out there that uses mana but doesnt reserve any? I've always viewed clear mind as a blood magic jewel.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've seen you link mines videos and if there's one thing those desperately need its about 3 instances of lvl25 clarity.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

For the love of god unbind attack from left click and bind it to force move.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Eh, I was trying to avoid using it because I'm not going to run a Volls and I already have a high 80s fakener this league.

I think I allready told you this ingame, but Ive tested everything and there's simply nothing that can compare to meatballs for reliable procs. I hate it too, but its the only real option.

ronya posted:

triple storm call on switch might be funny. unlike CoC, you can triple cast all of them

you can't usefully triple cast discharge sadly, the usefulness of exploding a single power charge is dubious

I've played around with storm call/spark in the mjolner, and the dps is garbage. Its either arc or discharge, really. Now that I think about I havent tested shock nova, so I cant rule that out yet.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

http://pathofexilebuilds.com/exppenaltycalc.php

Anytime you want to actually know your xp in a zone, just google "poe xp calc" and this will be your top hit. It's fairly useful in the early ladder race when you want a number on when to move up a map tier (I usually try to stay above 90% xp)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

300 chroms I spent trying to color my MF totem dude's 5l chest with colors that should have taken 25~.

Are you sure you calculated this correctly? The odds of this happening are stupidly low.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so i noticed they nerfed arctic armor, what's the new hotness in survivability?

Arctic armour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Something everyone seems to forgeet about Touch of God (and vaal slam) is that they are 50/50 physical and lightning (fire for vaal slam). You need topaz/ruby AND granite to properly tank it.

E: Ok I see this was actually mentioned a few posts above, but a lot of people dont know this so it doesnt hurt to say it twice :v:

• Locked thread