Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New Ascendancy reveals:
Marauder's Berserker subclass (weird as gently caress, seems like one of the weakest ascendancy classes shown so far)
http://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exiles-new-ascendancy-class-is-the-berserker/

Templar Hierophant (Really loving good. Welcome to the 4 totem zone.)
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/path-of-exile-adds-new-ascendancy-class-the-hierop/1100-6434233/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

victrix posted:

Any recommendations for a beginner Shadow build in the Talisman league? Just starting with a friend and I don't have the faintest idea what he should try.

If he wants to be really OP, Bladefall trapper.

I like this one even though it doesn't have a huge deal going for it besides the flask charge on crit and regaining flask charges every 3 seconds things.
It's nice to know that having 100% chance to avoid elemental status prevents floor effects. I was curious if that would work but never tried it out because it required actually wearing Icetomb.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 28, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

theshim posted:

Hierophant seems loving busted :stare:

It is worth noting that 10% less damage per totem actually makes a huge difference. 4 totems deal as much as 2.62 totems without any damage penalties (with much more consistent damage and more covered area). 5 totems actually deal less than a normal 3 totem build. But then you still have your three free five links from Illuminated Devotion or your free charges from Conviction of Power.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Most likely with a shield but hopefully not Grace. Trying to come up with a trapper build that actually has defences for ascendency. It'll be non-crit and not sure on whether it'll be MoM (with or without auras) or Blood Magic yet but I want to try to run that Clear Mind jewel

If you can work two of the +60% shield defenses nodes in to your build (Deflection and Precise Interception are decent choices and give you a bit more to boot), you should be close to even with a build running Grace. Take Revenge of the Hunted and Survivalist, and with okay evasion gear and a couple more ev nodes or a lot of dex where you can find them you can even out your speed. Good gear will give you a speed boost. Running grace on top of that would give you like +20-30% move speed.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ronya posted:

What is a Savage Hit, though?

An attack that deals 20% or more of your life in damage (post mitigation), it's on the node that says Savage Hit as a footnote.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New base flasks, new flask mods: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1580719 RF is gonna be more of a passive investment , it sounds like, since elemental flasks are getting nerfed but max res is being added other places.

quote:

Ascendancy introduces new base types of Utility Flasks:
Basalt Flask: Grants additional physical damage reduction.
Aquamarine Flask: Grants additional chance to avoid cold damage and creates chilled ground on use.
Stibnite Flask: Grants increased evasion and creates smoke clouds on use.
Sulphur Flask: Grants increased damage and creates consecrated ground on use.
Silver Flask: Grants Onslaught.
Bismuth Flask: Grants elemental resistances.

Sulphur and silver flasks are gonna be really strong on pretty much everybody (ironically silver flasks will probably be weakest on raider since she'll have high onslaught up time just from passives).
Reminders for what the named effects do:
Onslaught is 20% increased attack, cast, and move speed.
Consecrated ground heals you for 4% of your max life per second.
Smoke clouds blind an enemy, which is a 50% less chance to hit modifier on their attacks. Resolute technique makes it worthless, but that averages out to 50% less damage taken from attacks for any other character.

quote:

Our goal is to create a more diverse selection of Utility Flasks and to make sure they're compatible with the flask balance changes in Ascendancy. Many of these new Utility Flasks are directly useful for specific Ascendancy classes. For, example the Silver Flask for the Raider, the Sulphur Flask for the Inquisitor and the Stibnite Flask for the Saboteur.

We've added new mods that can be rolled on Flasks:
Increased Duration (Utility Flasks)
Increased Effect, Reduced Duration (Utility Flasks)
Poison Removal and Immunity (All Flasks)
Reduced number of Charged Used (All Flasks)

We've made some balance changes to existing Utility Flasks:
Resistance Flasks have been reduced to +6% maximum resistance. (It's getting easier to dramatically increase maximum resistances, so this change is designed to partially counteract the new tools such as the Flask Effect mod and new Ascendancy options.)
Quartz Flask now provides Dodge and Spell Dodge, as well as Phasing.
The duration, charge requirements and maximum charges on many existing utility flasks have been updated. In general, they're now easier to use, but there have been specific balance changes in some cases. For example, Quicksilver Flasks now have a slightly shorter duration (until you boost it with the new mod or an Ascendancy passive skill).
Existing Unique Flasks which don't have high usability have been improved where necessary to make sure they are still desirable choices. An example is Lion's Roar, which now has more than one use per full flask.

Other than changes to Unique Flasks, these changes affect existing Utility Flasks that your characters have (no legacy versions are created).

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 3, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dis astranagant posted:

How much do armor and evasion matter if you aren't stacking the hell out of them? I'm at ~1200 armor and ~1700 evasion doing maps with no real way to push them much higher. Is it worth giving up a good chunk of either to get more ES to make this dumb ZO/EB/MOM engine work better?

If you aren't stacking them then armor can be useful in very niche situations (anything that deals a ton of really small hits, i.e. the machine gun ladies with their boobs out from Lunaris 2), and evasion will still average out to like ~10% damage reduction with 1700. More ES is gonna be better unless your ZO regen is enough to keep it capped when not fighting dangerous enemies.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I don't really get the trickster class outside of walk the aether... Is it just intended to be like the generalist ascension for Shadows?
I guess it makes more sense when you have to choose 6 points, but it definitely seems like the least cohesive of the ascensions outside of 'benefits mana/es/ev'. Atleast MoM+Walk the Aether+Weave the Arcane with Lightning Warp as your main damage skill sounds fun and super sturdy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
New golem skill: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1585581
Stone golem. Taunts enemies, and gives the golem's caster life regen.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Time of Need is such a hilarious passive. Guardian seems alright for summoning, and the warcry passive is good for pretty much any build. Seems kinda weak for an actual support build though, aside from the possibility of giving out sizable armour or ES bonuses from Radiant Faith.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

So what's the newest league I can get in on with other goons with a new character and now play in Standard (hell) or by myself (hell).

Talisman has like a month and a half left or something. Monsters carry sweet corrupted amulets, you combine sweet corrupted amulets in to a better amulet, repeat over and over to get a special map with a special boss fight. I think a lot of us have soured on it however because, well, like 4/5ths of the talismans you find are white, and since they're corrupted, they're then completely worthless. Kinda takes the wind out of your sails.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm waiting to see the challenge league gimmick, but personally I'm thinking either a trapper Saboteur (probably try something unlikely to work first, like flame surge cluster traps, switch to firestorm when I get sick of being poo poo) or some form of horrible rain of splinters 4 totem build.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

lurksion posted:

Apparently lighting trap is popular now in racing too. Didn't realize that. Probably a good indicator of it being good.

My hardcore LT build from the start of Talisman would one or two shot any pack without a rare, it's ace. It's kinda luck based but if you're crit based you can also one shot bosses besides Malachai and high tier map bosses by positioning a Vaal Spark trap perfectly (by shift-clicking the trap close enough that it will activate without being actually on them): if the projectiles overlap with the bosses hit box, the projectiles all miss, but if they're even a pixel outside of that hit box they'll all hit, and then if it crits you'll kill bosses in about 1/4th of your total sparks.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

lurksion posted:

Doesn't Burning Arrow work better as a single target?
Yes.

Burning Arrow: 1 shot at 150% damage. 20% chance to inflict an ignite for 88% of base damage over 4 seconds. The higher your attack speed the less useful the ignite damage is when compared to Shrapnel SHot's higher base damage, due to overlapping ignite durations. If you have 100% ignite uptime and fire exactly once per second, the base damage should work out to 176.4% per shot. With 2 attacks per second it's 163.2% per shot.
Shrapnel Shot: 2 shots at 80% damage. So 160%.

Shrapnel shot has the added utility of both piercing and having an AOE portion, though, so using it as a single target skill you can still kill any mooks the boss summons. And if lightning arrow is your primary pack clearing skill you may have passives/items that effect lightning damage.
Honestly they're pretty well balanced against eachother, and it mostly comes down to preference or what the rest of your build is like.

The base damage of burning arrow is also a tiny bit higher than what I say, due to it only using the strongest ignite. But that's pretty much impossible to math out as far as I can figure.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 17, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
In less exciting news:

With level one of that gem, and assuming the passive tree has the same amount, you can now get up to 70% trap cooldown speed with a level 1 gem. I'm hoping the gem is 2% per level and not 1 or less (2 would be for 108%, 1 would be 88%).
If you're wondering how it could be worth using, it's pretty much worthless against singular packs, but good against sturdy rares and bosses. Probably a gem people will swap in for boss fights in a 5/6l.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

Hail to to Chief!

http://massivelyop.com/2016/02/18/exclusive-path-of-exiles-chieftain-ascendancy-class-is-on-fire/

I would expect the scion to be spoiled next Thursday.

Why hello RF totems. Editx2 - RF with out burning yourself. Wowie.

Ignite is separate from burning. The class won't help you with a non-totem RF build outside of health regen and added fire damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vanguard Warden posted:

I thought RF did count as ignite, but clearing the effect from yourself turned the ability off entirely.

I'm totally playing an RF totem build next league, though.

Nah, though I can see how you'd think that since potions of dousing have different effects for ignite/burn (removes burn, immune to ignite), while the rest of the elemental pots have identical wording on their two effects (e.g. removes shock, immune to shock).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Finally, her being a wonder child prodigy will do something besides just making all her voice clips obnoxious.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1591601
Zana's map machine's gonna change every 3 months each time a challenge league ends. Challenge league map mods her device adds are now cheaper on average with higher IIQ bonuses, and the price and what leagues are available change every 3 months. Notably, Torment costs half as much this upcoming league, and Anarchy costs 3 chaos.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

They're really trying to push this "manage your charges" thing, but how many skills even let you consume charges? Not counting Immortal Call and Phase Run, there's like four, and I don't see a Daresso's Passion Flicker Strike build happening. It'd be nice if they introduced some support gems that let you make any attack skill consume endurance/frenzy/power charges for some kind of benefit.

They haven't shown off any new support gems, it's entirely possible such a thing exists (and would be fuckin' rad).

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lungboy posted:

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the various builds in the game due to almost zero free time to play. The Ascendency stuff adds an extra layer on that that will make it even harder. Hopefully someone will come up with an edit for the OP that says something like "basic build a = take this ascendency tree, basic build b = take this other tree" etc.

The OP will probably be updated with some new builds as soon as there are decent ones on the official forums, but almost guaranteed to be simple and incredibly effective:
Any currently popular melee builds with Champion (duelist), Juggernaut (marauder), or Berserker (marauder) ascendancy. All of them have atleast 6 passives that fit in perfectly with the current meta (which for melee characters is almost the same as it was like 9 months ago, with the notable change of melee splash being way more baller now).
Any currently popular crit builds with Assassin (shadow), or, with some concessions, Inquisitor (templar). I think crit is supposed to be rebalanced a bit in Ascendancy, but Assassin is a loving ridiculous ascendancy class that is pretty much guaranteed to more than make up for any changes to crit power. Inquisitor is less intuitive but has a great pair of crit passives and way more crit multiplier than the assassin tree (not counting Ambush), along with 3 decent choices for your last two points.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Also new, in random streamer only form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB-ToRu61nY

Two new support gems -- One gives 30% more elemental damage to any skill at the expense of it no longer being able to inflict status effects, obvious benefactors being Flame Surge and Righteous Fire (and Searing Bond I guess?). The other is multiple traps for mines, 2 more mines at 40% less damage (120% damage effectiveness total). The video doesn't show the supports being used, so no clue how it lays out the mines.

e:

quote:

When you enchant your Helm, you'll gain a bonus that only applies to a specific skill. There are two or three of these skill-specific stats for every player skill, amounting to over 300 in total.
:stare:

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 24, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
From Kripp's stream, sunder is 85% damage effectiveness (in the form of a less attack speed modifier), with reverbs doing 30% less damage. Shockwave totem + empires grasp will be ridiculous combined with it though, since the reverbs are aoe damage centered around each enemy you hit.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Spectral Throw is back up to 54% at level 1, lmao wtf thats' stronger than it was when Mathil's ele throw build was flavor of the month.
Blade Vortex is twice as strong.

A lot of these changes only make sense if Cast on Crit is getting nerfed (Blade Vortex for example), but I don't think Kripp's stream has shown CoC's gem yet.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

10bux posted:

On a scale from 1 - hosed, where would I be at the start of ascendancy if I haven't followed the game since masters?

Are most of the additions things I can pick up along the way? Or, have they added a lot of game-breaking poo poo that would save me hours if I was caught up?

I'm pretty excited to pick up the game again. I ran through act 1 on a fresh character and it seems like there's a million distractions now. Hopefully won't take long figuring out what I should just skip until later.

No idea what build I should play, but I'm leaning towards some kind of ranged attack. Like, elemental ST or any bow skill really.

ST was subpar but usable for a long time, and it's most likely returning to its glory days with the Ascendancy update :woop:

There's a decent amount of new stuff but as long as you read up on the Ascendancy classes before starting everything will be decently intuitive. Also play on SC even if you're regularly a HC player because act 4 is pretty much guaranteed to kill you your first time through.

Probably biggest change aside from a new act (and upcoming ascendancy stuff) is that desync is now non-existent if you have below 120 ping or so. Other big change is jewels, which you can socket into slots on your passive tree, which are currently kinda wasted potential and a currency sink unless you have certain builds that require unique jewels.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

Cool.

Are these are legit? I assume its people selling the codes from the bundle thing for last week.

https://www.g2a.com/path-of-exile-arctic-crown-cobra-pet-cd-key-global.html

They match up with that, yeah.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Gibbo posted:

My next planned build was a crit ice crash.

Anyone who has been consuming all the new information have any idea if a crit sunder or earthquake would be terrible?

Crit sunder should be perfectly viable. Earthquake might require too much investment in non-crit stuff if you use it as a primary skill, but we'll see.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I would say this:

I feel like this game doesn't really begin till 68+. So since you have a good feel for the game at level 50, when ascendancy comes, level up a character as fast as possible. I would recommend watching RACERS
Helmannn on Twitch, watch his race videos

We all start powerleveling to merciless a couple characters or leagues in but personally I think that's bad advice for someone still learning the game :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

Ele spec throw is supposed to be good again? and I'd kind of like to do the one listed in Bugsy's link.

Uniques are Maligaro's, Rat's nest, and Belly of the Beast. Having never mad eit beyond A3M in Standard, is this a bad idea/unaffordable?

None of those have any build enabling features, you can use rares until you can afford them. A 'good' ele ST build is incredibly expensive, but a 2 APS rapier and average gear is all you needed back in the day and all you should need in 2.2.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

NecroMonster posted:

ea doesn't leave it's charge in a mob if it pierces or chains.

The actual deadeye acendancy for the ranger should be good as hell for EA on the other hand, far shot, 20% increased aoe, and an extra projectile. Sign me right the gently caress up.

Far shot won't work with explosive arrow's explosion. It's proejctile attack and the explosion doesn't count as an attack.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

quote:

Flasks do not apply to you.
Flasks apply to your zombies and specters.

That loving belt!! Wish it worked with Animate Guardian.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

AegisP posted:

Considering that the Increased Critical Strikes gem gives base crit now, Incinerate will be able to finally crit.
You could probably also build Assassin to go fully Incinerate crit, but I'm kind of partial to the Inquisitor.

Uhh... This sounds utterly garbage. You could use increased critical strikes to activate Elemental Overload, but investing a ton in to crit for a base chance of probably under 3% seems crazy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

I hate to interrupt the personal attacks and terrible posting but if anyone could link me to a good non-crit-based lightning build for Ascendancy (ie Orb of Storms + Arc/Spark) I'd really appreciate it.

Also please tell me more about trading and premium tabs thanks.

There aren't many suitable builds for that criteria because there's not a real direct analogue in pre-Ascendancy builds. Non-crit lightning spell builds were almost always worse than crit lightning builds, but we have a lot of new toys to play with that will make them more viable.
Saboteur with cluster lightning traps is guaranteed to be good. Hierophants or inquisitors with any lightning skill will be atleast decent.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vorenus posted:

Lol. I ask about a build, told it's too expensive. Ask about another, also too expensive. Have a build suggested, ask for more info and told it's not suitable. gently caress it.

Ele ST doesn't require anything expensive to get off the ground and start mapping, and non-crit lightning will be perfectly suitable ~once the patch hits~. The problem is you're looking at the uniques build guides say are mandatory for ele ST (which really means mandatory for high level maps specifically) and there's no real guides to non-crit lightning because nobody's gotten to build around elemental overload and the new support gems yet.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

Have they said how long the Perandus league will last?

Standard challenge league duration is 3 months.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

The last league or two went on for longer, and I seen to remember GGG mentioning sometime last year that they want longer leagues going forward.

They said they wanted shorter leagues in the past because the final month of a league had like 10% of the players as 1st month. Talisman is apparently going to end on its 84th day, so just under 3 months.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Magus42 posted:

Is the length of time an item shows up as highlighted part of item filters?

I have NeverSink's item filter installed, but I find things will drop mid-battle, their names will show up for a few seconds, and then they'll hide.

Me not having played since before Act 4 was a thing, I'm not familiar enough again with items to recognize what was highlighted before it hid itself... (except easy ones like currency and jewels and such)

You have 'always show items' turned off. Hit Z I think is the default shortcut? If you can't find the hotkey for it it should be in UI options.
The things that are showing up for a second are things that got through your filter though, the only way to see filtered items is to hold alt.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bloodly posted:

You'd think you wouldn't need that much extra given the 17000 armour bit. But so it goes.

17000 armor only blocks 1450 damage from a 10,000 hit. It's his endurance charges and basalt flask doing most of the work.
Also Abyssus isn't mitigation, it's making him take more damage than he otherwise would.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ezekeel posted:

Played some PoE a while back. Do they still do the retarded temporary leagues which after some month are merged into the permanent garbage leagues which are not properly maintained and are full of OP legacy items?

Yes, they still do temporary leagues. I'm not really sure what you want from the developers because legacy items are a really small problem, with or without them the permanent leagues markets suck because they're permanent and become less fair to the average player as big traders accrue wealth. That and starting from scratch in a temporary league helps keep things fresh for nerdos like me who don't care about reaching level 100 or getting perfect gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mortimer posted:

This sounds cool

I wish I knew enough about the game now I know what any of this means so I could play it

He's rolling a Necromancer (witch subclass) in Ascendancy for the Mistress of Sacrifice passive, which lets him use bone offering (or flesh offering) on himself. Bone offering is an extremely strong spell that normally makes your minions almost invincible for its duration, it increases your block chance and gives you healing whenever you block. Max block is a bit of a misnomer because he only needs about 40% block to reach max when bone offering is up, though he could go for higher since converting his block to spell block takes two unique items and only reaches 75% effectiveness. The end result will be that he has a 75% chance to heal about 600 health whenever he gets hit.

He's probably using Blade Vortex because it both benefits from being able to stand still near enemies, and if he needs he can use a Cybil's Paw to make it so he heals each time a blade hits, which is probably the single most effective life gain on hit combination possible with only maybe incinerate beating it out.

The build will be pretty cheap up until you need your rainbowstride, if you want to try it.

E: On the subject of builds, lmao why are there a bunch of builds using ascendancy classes on the poe subreddit that are labeled [HC/Atziri Viable]? Is it just because they're old builds that have an Ascendancy class plugged in?

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 3, 2016

• Locked thread