Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
So, I've been interested in diving headfirst into this game for a long time now. I've been doing research on my first character build and am trying to sort out all the details.

I've decided on the sharp shooter branch of the 2.4 version of Neversink's Tornado Shot archer. I'm trying to figure out exactly how I should weight stats on items as I'm leveling up. Currently, I jumped in and got to level 50 relatively quickly just running the main storyline. Just got to cruel mode and hit a wall at the new labyrinth. I have 1.6k HP, which I feel is really low (the labyrinth boss one shots me with any attack, even ignoring buffs he gets from the environment that I try to deal with)? Anyone got suggestions on how to amp up my health without gimping my elemental resists? I've taken a ton of health buffs in my passive skill tree.

Thanks in advance for any advice for a new player.

(Currently in the new essence league, Stadard mode)

(I've also taken the OP advice of not spending any of my currency until I know what it's worth / how to use it. I'm getting a feel for it, but I haven't done any trading yet. Just been running around killing stuff until I hit a wall, which happens to be at cruel difficulty Labyrinth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

Im doing similar build. Whats your ign? I might have some upgrade gear for you.

IGN is Seaa

All my gear so far has been from me using those essences to upgrade gear and hoping for the best.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
So literally the first boss I killed in this game gave me a Tabula Rasa (normal mode, essence league). I guess I'm off to a strong start in my PoE career.

Also, could use an invite.

IGN: GustavLine

(traded in my archer for a holy priest dude since his voice actor is way more entertaining than the ranger chicks.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 10, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Katasi posted:

Ranger dialogue is hilarious because it's all either about how much she loves animals, or how much she hates men. Witch definitely has the best dialogue though, I get bored with Templar talking about how much he loves god.

It's the accent more than the banter. I love me some New Zealander / Nordic accents.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

It's come to my attention people aren't playing fireball builds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WR4rmg55i4 Also included me dying to the boss trash and playing terribly.

Seems fun, but it doesn't have the same dramatic effect of the nazi war sirens. AKA fireblast build.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Dramatika posted:

I haven't played since 2.2, which was my first time playing. I played a blade vortex scion, a crit arc witch, a SRS witch, and a voltaxic LA/BR ranger - didn't really care for SRS or the ranger too much. What's a fun budget build that's topical these days?

Do some research into Essence Drain (assassin/trickster(Shadow), or Occultist (witch)). With the current essence league, it's possible to make a t7+ map capable character on like 20c or less investment in gear. (I'm level 66 currently, and I'm able to breeze through most level 72-76 level maps.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
Something seems off here...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
This is why I play this game.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 20, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've noticed the best resist gear seems to be rings and necks. Should I accept that I'm going to have to lose my DPS on those slots?

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...u2D-WP-Hf66_sg=

^^^ That's my current build, I'm a few points past it. Following Neversink's TS Ranger build. His guide says to cap resist but I just don't see how that's possible.

If you gently caress all combat stats on gear, and focus only on resists. You can get a full set of resists for less than 3c just by using poe.trade. If you get decent resists and some dps gear, the cost will rise a bit. Capping resists is pretty easy though. You just need to sacrifice dps gear.

This game isn't about pumping DPS gear. It's about survival first, then killing. (Unless you're an rear end in a top hat running a copy pasted ranger bv flask spam build. In which case you can do gently caress all and still do every bit of content in the game)

You'll barely notice the damage loss. Just keep a decent bow, and focus on capping your resists for whatever difficulty you're currently on (or future proof for merciless).

75 - Normal
95 - Cruel (will put you at the 75 cap) (Cruel reduces all res by 20)
135 - Merciless (will put you at the 75 cap) *edit (Merciless recues all res by 40)

Keep in mind, you'll also eventually need chaos resistance in merciless. Unless you plan on going chaos inoculation eventually. Additionally, when you start running maps, you can get mods that reduce your resistances further, and there are curses that do this as well. (So it's a good idea to always have resists on gear, even if you hit the cap already.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 22, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Forgot to add the other 20, thanks for the catch.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

turboraton posted:

Finally reached 800 dex with my Poison Siege Ballista build... man I shouldn't be this excited about a totem build but I am.

Could I get some more info on this build from you? I was thinking of doing Iron Commander for my next build and I've been slowly accumulating gear I think would work well with it (and 20% quality gems).

Thanks in advance.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Empower 3: 25 chaos
Empower 4: 9.5 exalted

that last level will get ya

I got a 6L, dual res 801 ES regalia for 11ex. Chromed it BBGGGR in under 60. Popped that cheap level 3 empower and my DPS went up 30%. My essence drain is 19(21) right now, I have 7 of them leveling to 20 shortly. Can't wait to see what this poo poo does with a level 24 essence drain.

I was already walking through content at level 87 (took like 3 days to go from 1->87 with ED) with a level 20 ED(20%). Bosses already melted in seconds on most maps. I'm guessing they'll just keep over from the aids with a few levels tacked onto that.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

theshim posted:

Okay, Ballista Hell is a remarkably fun build. Just keep running and tossing out turrets :black101: Just squeaked over 400 dex so I can basically never stop running and they just shred through poo poo. Stacking it as a lightning ballista build, scaling off Static Electricity, HoT, and Wrath, and running as Assassin, which will also give basically permashock.

God drat this game has so many ridiculous things you can do and :iia:

Sitting on 9 turrets right now with 1400 dexterity. Sitting at about 190k dps, and this is while wearing a Kaom's Heart Plate for the flat 500 hp increase. (You can easily 4slot frenzy and be just as effective at debuffing).

I do have +1 arrow drill and +45% ballista placement speed devotos though. Not super cheap to assemble. Prices for a lot of the stuff I grabbed early for it quadrupled in price after a guide was posted for it. Dex/resist rings have gone from 3-4c to like 50c-1ex now. (Cost me roughly 10ex for everything to make the build end game viable) But, goddamn nothing feels as good as being able to poo poo out 9 turrets in less than a second of holding down the summon button.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 7, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Still chasing a level 4 empower (got 8ex to go roughly) but I can probably push guardians now and get my keys. I will probably need that empower for Shaper, and then I can start upgrading my gear.

I'm seriously debating on ditching my eye of chalupa and getting a regular necklace + that anti-stun flask. I would get so many more stats having a real necklace.

If you don't find yourself getting clobbered a lot, and you're in SC, the eye necklace isn't even super necessary. It's only great for speed clearing maps. It's not super necessary for most bosses that are all mechanics.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

How does this dude not lose any ES when using VRF?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Jusupov posted:

What is this worth?

Research which builds are popular that use those gem slots (colors) and make an educated decision. (I usually search poe.trade for 6L with the same gem color setup and see what those are running for) Then add a pile of money to it to account for the amazing implicit.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Sillybones posted:

That's the key, I think.

I am playing a tornado/cold shot archer thing. I want something to distract harder enemies so I can drop some deeps. I have ~100 str and int to work with. Any ideas?

The same thing that is the answer to every single problem in the game.

Decoy.
Totem.

Just get some placement speed mods in the passive tree, or some jewels with +totem health or resistances and it should do fine.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Mince Pieface posted:

There's not any way to get to 50% increased flask effect without pathfinder is there? Trying to convince myself not to go pathfinder with my Obliterator but it seems so strong.

Nobody (everybody) won't (will) judge you for being a pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
Tons of games in China/Korea run with that model. That model wouldn't last a day in the American market, so there's no much to worry about.

Just think of it as all the (non-North American)Asian players funding the NA game.

• Locked thread