Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

Yesterday I had someone ask about buying a T15 map from me. He joined my hideout, put the currency in the trade window, then immediately closed the trade window and left my party and stopped responding to messages.

Is this some kind of thing to get your account information to hack it?

Some people will message a ton of sellers at once to see who responds or is willing to haggle. It's possible another seller responded to him with either a cheaper price or a better t15 map and he just bounced to go buy it from the other guy. I've had it happen to me before. As far as I know, opening a trade window doesn't get them access to any additional information about you or your account than they would have access to otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

New witch and templar classes:

Occultist
Guardian

J
Jun 10, 2001

Since you've levelled multiple characters, you should have access to certain cheap levelling uniques, and some elreon jewelry. Flame totem + firestorm is great in part because it works without any gear. Gear helps it too of course, but having some levelling items also really speeds up other more gear dependent types of builds. For example, storm cloud bow is awesome for levelling with just about any bow skill in it up until your 50s somewhere. If you're a melee dude you can just use various unique 2handers as you level up with sweep, ice crash, cyclone, whatever skill you want and it will be fast. Just make sure to replace your weapon every 5ish levels or so, there are a lot of unique 2handers that you can cycle through as you level.

Get enough -mana cost from elreon jewelry so your attacks cost 0 mana or close to it, then reserve most or even 100% of your mana. Physical damage characters can use hatred+herald of ash, elemental focused characters can go ahead and reserve all their mana with herald of ice, thunder, and wrath and just plow through poo poo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

That lightning trap discussion got me thinking - what's the current strategy as far as skill gems for ranger races? Longer ones that go into a3 and a4, that is. I've been trying to check people's profiles on the main site who finish high in races but they delete their race characters so fast I haven't been able to find good examples. When do you ditch shrapnel shot and switch to something else? Lightning arrow?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

Questions about low low life tri blasphemy build:

1. Temp Chains or Poacher's Mark? 3 Frenzy charges give me 20% more dps, I'm not sure how good the flask charge gain is because I'm wearing a +flask charge belt and using Warmark already.

I'd say just carry both and swap them depending on what kind of content you're doing. Use poacher's on easier content to plow through it faster, and use temp chains whenever your survivability feels sketchy.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I was hoping for a more generalized iron will caster type of class. I like it thematically, though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

5 new uniques spoiled.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Count Uvula posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1591601
Zana's map machine's gonna change every 3 months each time a challenge league ends. Challenge league map mods her device adds are now cheaper on average with higher IIQ bonuses, and the price and what leagues are available change every 3 months. Notably, Torment costs half as much this upcoming league, and Anarchy costs 3 chaos.

Initial rotation has cheap anarchy and onslaught, wonder if that will help bring the price down on voll's devotion much.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Lungboy posted:

I've been finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the various builds in the game due to almost zero free time to play. The Ascendency stuff adds an extra layer on that that will make it even harder. Hopefully someone will come up with an edit for the OP that says something like "basic build a = take this ascendency tree, basic build b = take this other tree" etc.

e: actually, I'm sure all of the decent build threads will simply be updated with that info. Dur.

I'm definitely planning to update the OP with some builds once the expansion drops but I'm gonna need help from y'all as to what builds are actually good. Ascendancy is going to flip everything on its head, again. I wasn't happy with the list of builds for the current patch but it was tougher than I expected keeping on top of what is good and what isn't.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Gonna be interesting to see what the difficulty level of the labyrinth is like, and how rewarding it is in general even aside from enchantments. I wonder if it will make sense to make a build specifically design to speedrun the labyrinth as opposed to just plowing through maps as usual and buying what you want.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Kripp streaming alpha gameplay now.

Edit: He moused over vaal spark on the alpha gem vendor, level 1 vaal spark does 1-10 damage with a base duration of 2 seconds now. Level 1 on live is 1-11 at level 1 with a 3.5s duration.

J fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 25, 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

ES gear was already really popular and expensive, and so far I haven't seen anything that is going to change that. Since it appears they didn't nerf taste of hate and vinktar, you might see even more people trying to do low life flask builds which is going to drive up the ES gear price even more.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rashomon posted:

Is there a good place where people post about builds online and discuss strategy? The official forums are indeed hard to read.

Eh, you get used to it. The official class forums are the only real place I've found where builds are posted and actually discussed. Yeah, there are a lot of garbage builds posted but there are also really good guides there as well. There's a poebuilds subreddit but everyone posts builds but never comments on anyone else's build, so it's pretty useless.

All the non-class discussion official forums are worthless though.

J
Jun 10, 2001

10bux posted:

Ah, I missed that the gems level slower on the Vendors. I also totally forgot about the free 6 leveling sockets from weapon swap, so it really wouldn't be a huge advantage anyhow.

Thanks again for the info. Based on everything you said, and how little I know, I figure the smartest thing to do is just play "bow ranger." That way, I can try out the different skills, and can likely respec into any bow build when I get to Maps. I'll probably just take basic life along with reachable projectile and bow nodes until I get an idea of what I want to do. I'd probably end up doing this anyway, since Ascendancy has the potential to drastically change a lot of builds.

I've been wondering, is Resolute Technique even a "thing" anymore? Just from the little I've read about the changes, it's pretty obvious they've spent a lot of time improving crit.

edit: Also, these Talismans seem OP as gently caress, but they're this league only correct? Have they said anything about implementing them into the game similar to a lot of the past league specific changes?

A bow ranger will be a perfectly fine pick. I felt bow characters were extremely good in general during talisman league, but voltaxic lightning arrow got all the attention and overshadowed other bow skills. Deadeye is a great ascendancy class for a bow character.

Resolute technique is used in non-crit builds. Gearwise, those generally tend to be more on the budget end of the spectrum, with nowhere near as high of a ceiling as crit builds. Crit was already too strong, and there are several ascendancy classes with great crit nodes that are only going to extend the gap further between crit and non crit builds.

Talismans can potentially be insanely good....but it's really tough to roll one anywhere near that. Just so many variables, and you can't master craft mods onto them like a normal amulet to turn "near misses" into good items. They are league specific and won't be in the game during ascendancy, but they will almost certainly be back through a zana map mod sometime in the future if I had to guess. They put too much work into that system to just scrap it. I played a poo poo load of talisman league and found maybe 2 talismans that I would consider "good," but they were still plenty replaceable with a normal amulet.

J
Jun 10, 2001

ronya posted:

Path of Exile isn't Diablo 2: LOD. Most monsters don't have high resists, roughly ~30s. If you deal monoelemental damage, a Penetration support will easily exceed that (atop also working with your non-crit rolls, instead of just getting 10%).

So it's better for multi-elemental builds.

It's also stronger for builds that struggle with single-target, since it is the rares and map bosses that will have higher resists (and Righteous Providence will helpfully give you +45% crit multi against them). Obviously it's also favourable with crit. Inevitable Judgment is ideally the Cast on Crit notable, I think.

All true, but I'd also like to add that +elemental resistance and elemental equilibrium are common map mods that would push resistances up for a single element build significantly. Plus rare mobs having resistance auras too.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Here's the formal announcement regarding public stash tabs. It is actually going live tomorrow. Wow.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Full post on perandus league details. Some new uniques spoiled in here too.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cinara posted:

Premium tab upgrades are on sale today for 10 points.

The upgrade to premium tab goes on sale pretty rarely, about once every 3-5 months or so. Maybe in light of the public stash tab changes they will be putting it on sale more often, but just in case they don't, you should probably buy a few if you have interest in selling poo poo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ascendancy patch notes y'all

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bushiz posted:

Assuming I randomly downloaded this because I'm unemployed and momentarily bored of stardew valley, how far in can I be before I start really caring about builds, and have I hosed up in any way by making my first ever character on Perandus, or is there no functional difference for a clueless newbie here.

You can get all the way through the story on normal difficulty playing by the seat of your pants and using whatever you think seems cool. Do grab life nodes though, and try to get life and resistance on gear when you can. Perandus league is perfectly fine to start on. Once you get about halfway through cruel difficulty if your build sucks you'll start feeling it. By the time that happens you'll know if you like the game enough to stick with it. But this is a game very much intended for you to make multiple characters. Levelling will go by much faster once you start to learn the game a bit.

J
Jun 10, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Is there any point to leveling Leo if you have literally 0 interest in PVP?

He offers a few crafts that are relevant in pve to certain builds. Increased damage over time to weapons, and reduced damage taken from damage over time effects to shields being the 2 main ones. The former is useful for caustic arrow or any dot focused build, the latter works with RF and can allow RF builds to use a different shield other than rise of the phoenix. Of course if you want either of these mods it'd be quicker and easier to just find someone else with the mod and pay them to do it for you, but still.

J
Jun 10, 2001

That abyssus is like the holy grail.

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you're a pure life based character then just grab a good couple of life flasks and a quicksilver flask and just run through the traps as fast as you can, not even kidding. The faster, the better. You'll be surprised at how much less scary they'll seem.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dream Attack posted:

Whoa, you can now buy a Currency Stash Tab which stacks your items up to 5000.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1629196

This came out of nowhere. Nice.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Generally the number of chaos to buy an exalt increases over the course of the league as the bulk of the playerbase reaches level 60+ and starts doing the chaos vendor recipe to inject more chaos into the economy. This usually peaks around 75-80c per exalt ever since the various master crafting tricks went public a few leagues ago, which increased the value of exalts in general. Then once the league has been out for a while and people burn out the exalt price starts going down and eventually becomes very close to the exchange rate in standard league.

J
Jun 10, 2001

soscannonballs posted:

I recorded a video of me doing normal Atziri on my EQ Juggernaut. I kill her without any deaths while standing in all the poo poo. I laugh at all you puny Champion EQ players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6quG95XlUo

11 endurance charges :eyepop:

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah all of those enemies in that map are characters created by people with I think it was at least $500 to burn on associated supporter pack, and some of them sperged out hard to create some of the most ridiculous characters they could.

J
Jun 10, 2001

soscannonballs posted:

I decided to make a thread for my Poisonquake build on the poe forums if anyone wants to take a look. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655864

How does this build hold up versus physical reflect at an early-mediocre level of gear (say, 5l marohi or so) when you don't really have a decent weapon to switch to for an elemental EQ gem setup? Is it real bad or workable with all the endurance charges and a granite flask?

J
Jun 10, 2001

2 buttons to kill things? beep boop suboptimal play detected please convert to chaos damage immediately beep boop

J
Jun 10, 2001

I don't think I've ever once regretted trading chaos for an exalt at any ratio, even when I know the seller is a flipper.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Prophecy league sounds pretty great. I wonder if there is going to be an uber version of that council fight.

J
Jun 10, 2001

soscannonballs posted:

Wow I am seriously considering just remaking Jeb and doing Poisonquake again, I am super excited for the new league.

I actually tried your build just to fool around with it a little bit on the 2 week league, got up to level 65 or so. I quite liked it. Which ascendancy node do you think you'd pick up with the extra 2 points? With the doubled armor from chest node I'm trying to figure out the merits between kaom's, a lightning coil, or just a big 2k+ armor rare chestpiece. But the unyielding node doesn't look bad either.

J
Jun 10, 2001

snipermonkey posted:

When I read about the conversion nerfs, I immediately put my voltaxic in a sale tab to see what would happen. I got offers to buy it almost immediately from two players , probably the time it took for poe trade to show that it was for sale.

Yeah they are probably gambling on the chaos conversion nerf creating legacy voltaxics and are trying to buy all of them.

J
Jun 10, 2001

megalodong posted:

Why is reddit obsessed with slowing down clear speed, as if taking 5 hits to kill a mob makes things more skillful? The amount of "veterans" who haven't got an apex full clear whining about how easy the game has gotten is absurd.

The path of exile subreddit is an echo chamber filled with bitter gitgud poopsockers who say ridiculous things like having a shav's drop isn't exciting because it's "only worth 2 exalts instead of 20+ like it used to be." They are so far out of touch with the typical gameplay of the average player it is insane. Just look at all the armchair game designer posts that use the buzzphrase "the clearspeed meta," as if every player is running around with a voltaxic build.

J
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

Additionally, fourth tier "chase" unique items (like Shavronne's Wrappings) have been made rarer than they were in 2.2.0.

Welp the shav drops aren't exciting anymore crowd won. gently caress that poo poo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I was expecting the item they were adding to bypass hexproof was going to be some lovely as gently caress amulet that was like +10 strength -25 life, your curses bypass hexproof. Not an insanely good item like that chest is. :eyepop:

J
Jun 10, 2001

killstealing posted:

does kingsguard even work considering you'll be at max charges forever and ever? daresso's looks better to me since infinite onslaught sounds fun

Kingsguard would work when immortal call or discharge eats the charges.

J
Jun 10, 2001

panda clue posted:

Speaking of Vaal ability, I forgot to mention that I do plan on throwing Vaal Flameblast in a 4 link. Vaal Flameblast -> chance to ignite -> fire pen -> controlled destruction. Should make a wonderful boss killer.

That sounds good. That build looks really fun, my main concern is those awkward situations against bosses or curse immune maps where you discharge, enduring cry, discharge, and then have to wait for the enduring cry cooldown to get more charges, or hope the 20% chance on being hit from that jugg node goes off. Unless I'm forgetting a method of charge generation here.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The Real Foogla posted:

it's the end of the league and there are still hundreds of flippers just waiting for a mispriced item :mad:

what I don't get: isn't standard a ghost town? who would even buy non tier 1 items

I'll be damned if I can find a quote now but in the past I remember Chris saying that quite a lot of people do play standard and don't play the challenge leagues at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Don't copy that floppy!!!!!!

• Locked thread