Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

NecroMonster posted:

just pay attention and figure out how to get through it all without taking any damage, it's really not hard, and generally isn't slow at all. most traps have a really short cycle time.

it's the burning floors and like one spinning spike pole set up that end up taking forever to cycle, those are the ones i really hate

You can run through most stuff if you're fast enough, however some of those skeletal mobs in the gold key zones can curse you vulnerability, and that makes sawblade/spinning totem traps extraordinarily lethal. At least the spike traps are (generally) pretty slow to trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah gently caress those who don't want to get all the life nodes, and multiple forms of damage mitigation.

Until the fundamental defense meta dies (it won't ever), every build is bad unless it's rocking 5k+ life or 8k+ ES with at least one form of 20%+ mitigation. I've made a tonne of snowflake builds, but the one consistent thing that sucks about them is dying a lot in high-tier maps and never getting beyond lvl 89 or being able to reliably not waste 6 portals in a T14. I mean you're totally entitled to make a 3k ES trapper with 400 billion DPS but don't get upset when you faceplant into harder content and can't progress. Also, that 400 billion DPS becomes zero when you're dead.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Kild posted:

You're the dense one if you think it's really 15c to obtain one. Guy who only compares about damage numbers and not stuff like the fire conversion of crit or the fact it's a sword. And says its trivial to find 150 dps level 7 weapons.

This sword is absolute poo poo and indefensible in any way. It's a garbage unique made by a garbage backer defended by garbage players. Thank you for proving my point.

edit; I know you're talking about one of the other lovely goddess swords but hell it applies for all of them

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 12, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does anyone know how Ice Bite interacts with Herald of Ice? HoI kicks in anytime an enemy shatters, so is it possible to get frenzy charges off any shatter, or only the ones caused by the explosion?

It does work but in my experience the charge generation is really inconsistent to the point that even blitzing through packs wasn't reliably sustaining charges.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Doctor Goat posted:

I didn't die, thankfully. I'll be on the lookout for Detonate Dead stuff in the future.

I've never gotten hooked by a Diablo clone this hard before.

At this point it's moved beyond clone and into outright spiritual sequel to Diablo 2. Getting into it now was great timing, the game has received a tonne of QoL changes that make playing much easier.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

No. Intuitive Leap is trash (as are most unique jewels) just because when it could be useful, the usefulness is severely overshadowed by any common jewel you rolled to have life%. Good jewels include static electricity, ones that modify Vaal skills, and the one that makes your totems fire two projectiles. All of which require specific builds to use.

You pretty much just gotta ask whether something is a good gimmick or not, the developers create new weird gimmicks to take advantage of with every major patch and 75% of them are garbage. Examples from the newest patch: Varunastra is extremely powerful and weird, Trypanon is trash and weird (but combining it with Marylene's Fallacy makes it on par with a decent dagger for Cast on Crit).

No offense but literally everything in this post is wrong except for Varunastra.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

From what I can tell, when you throw a cluster trap at something, with Chain Reaction, you get a single 15% chance to get 1 Frenzy charge for all of them going off, since only 1 of them was triggered by a monster stepping on it. I'll have to try more later.

Yeah this is my observation too. The traps triggered by chain reaction don't appear to be able to grant frenzy charges, I never once got more than 1 charge per set of traps thrown on my PSC trapper.

Sorta related but a nice easy way to generate power charges if you don't have an existing weapon swap is to have a Jaws of Agony shield with a clustertrap in it, the 25% chance to gain a power charge is additive, so if you throw 4 at once you get a charge, guarenteed.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 7, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I bounce between rank 10 and 12 on the Saboteur SC ladder, names IKeepMyBoboTrapCovered.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Xequecal posted:

Does anyone know if you can still use Ice Spear/PCoC to build/maintain power charges if you have Ancestral Bond?

Yes, Ancestral Bond simply removes all damage from any hit you land by spells and attacks, you still hit enemies.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
All I can think of which of the many trash vendor-tier uniques are going to come with unique mechanical improvements in their upgraded version, and in what way I can hipster-ize the gently caress out of said mechanics. If GGG just keep releasing expansions like this i'll never get bored of the game just because of the billion and one builds you can come up with.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The NaCl levels on reddit are so high you could float on it. Beautiful.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Calling it now, poisonquaker with that new chest will be meta as gently caress, especially as a shadow with toxic delivery, the sheer amount of more multipliers you're throwing at your poison is disgusting. Poison doing 6x the base hit as DoT per second seems incredibly broken.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
As a redditor pointed out, Doedre's will probably see a lot more use outside of the gimmicky cast on drink builds with Juggs seeing as it's probably the quickest and easiest to exploit source of endurance charges.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

gonadic io posted:

Also it's an automatic savage hit for Berserkers to get 100% leech

:lol:

I sense a new meta...

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Doubt it. The intention is that Detonate Dead only scales off of gem level/monster life and that the damage can't be reflected. Making is a spell means both of those are no longer true.

Det dead scales with fire and aoe damage, so I don't think it's necessarily that. Also det dead IS considered a spell for everything but spell damage mods, it's wierd.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TheRat posted:

What other ways?

Mainly that it can be triggered by CwDT, CwS and CoC despite not having the keyword, and can be supported by Spell Echo and a few other modifiers that specify spells only.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
True, but those supports specify in the description "Cast supported spells" so the logical expectation would be that it wouldn't trigger a skill without a spell tag.

From the wiki:

quote:

Skills marked with the Cast keyword deal secondary damage. Cast gems are not spells, and are therefore not affected by modifiers that would normally only modify spells.

edit: Cast is an odd keyword, at least in my eyes. You "cast" spells but "cast" just refers to dealing secondary damage?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

panda clue posted:

How much % life regen do you need to make RF not terrible for your map pool? Is it possible to get enough to handle vulnerability/some reduced regen? I know you get hosed if you get multiple mods like that stacked. Assuming I'm at 88% fire res without flasks.

The wiki page on RF has a nice table showing various breakpoints for gaining positive regen with RF up. It depends heavily on what your max fire res and reduced DoT taken stats are like. And yeah, vuln, ele weakness and -max res are all pretty nasty individually, ele weakness being the easiest to deal with i guess.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

TheRat posted:

RF is absolutely terrible when it comes to possible map-mods.

The cast keyword is there specifically to indicate support for stuff like cwdt and faster casting. Detonate dead used to have the spell tag for this.

If that's the case then GGG might have muddied up the keyword a bit, since Cast appears on Heralds yet they can't be supported by CwDT, Echo etc. Not that you ever would, but it does seem a bit inconsistent when you factor in Det Dead, but that might be an artifact of it formerly being a Spell.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

panda clue posted:

:vince:

how fast can you get that to pop?

I got mine down to 0.24s per loop with 98% reduced skellie duration and linked to a lvl 7 or under Less Duration gem. Normally you can't trigger CWDT faster than 0.25s but skeletons don't summon instantly so it adds a tiny bit of time to the loop, bringing it just over 0.25s . I used it to make this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVupAZHanA&t=21s
edit: I used SRS to start the loop because I didn't have another summon skeleton on me :v:

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 29, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I just had a really dumb idea

CoC discharge jugg using Vigilant Strike, be a champion as well

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 2, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whypick1 posted:

I didn't realize Discharge had a target limit...

It's an exception to the rule of AoE skills hitting all targets inside their area. Of course, no one knows WHY it's the exception.

That's really fantastic news for self-cast or non-CoC discharge though, the target limit is a significant clear speed inhibitor.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The shield charge nerf is warranted IMO, the aoe scaling was ridiculous. Damage nerf sucks, don't think it needed it really. Also the Discharge buff mostly affects selfcasting and provides much less to the actual broken part of it, that it can be linked to CoC and have an engine created around it that propels it straight into broken as gently caress territory.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Chris Wilson in a reddit saltmine posted:

Discharge was made consistent with other large AoE skills. Perhaps it does too much damage, but at least its behaviour is correct now. The problem with Discharge is CoC, which is receiving some love in 2.4.0 <3

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Or he'll appear on a chain 3x extra ele damage vuln map and laugh as he bounces devourer orbs into you.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Which are the valuable ones? I got the Amplification Rod, which is part of the 90% part.

A pseudo 6L wand is trash? It might not be valuable but it's in no definition bad. It's just not clearly flat out powercreep broken like Voidheart.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

kaaj posted:

Do you have your tree somewhere or is it a generic build, findable on PoE forums?

On a unrelated manner, I wonder if this is a known build or something which I'm doing incorrectly. Basically, I had 4 link gloves in which I had:

CWDT - Blade Vortex - Enfeeble - Curse on Hit

I was expecting that if CWDT would trigger Blade Vortex, Enfeeble would be applied on all the nearby monsters (which wasn't the case). I could remove CWDT, fire BV manually and it worked as expected, but with CWDT-triggered BV, no Enfeeble was applied. I guess that this is not too much of a problem for me now as I ripped that "unkillable" caster about an hour after I noticed the bug - but it was just bothering me.

EDIT: I just noticed that somebody replied to my bug report about this: "Skills can't be supported by two trigger gems. You have to level up the enfeeble to where it's no longer supported by the CwDT."

But I want them to be supported by two trigger gems ;(

What they mean is that if you level up Enfeeble so that it's higher level than what CWDT is able to support, it'll no longer be ineligable for curse on hit since it's not being affected by CWDT. Curse on hit is a trigger skill, but only for the curse being triggered, not the skill triggering it. This will allow your blade vortex to apply much higher level curses than simply linking a curse with CWDT can achieve.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 20, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I vaaled a 5l rrrrg Belly of the Beast and got +gems how much do you think it's worth?

Quite a bit, though +1 gems 5L are in a wierd spot where the 6th link is for most skills using one is usually an empower to get beefed up by the +1 on the chest, so it's like valuable and also not so valuable if that makes sense.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If i link bloodlust support to lets say earthquake, will the voidheart ring still apply bleed, or does bloodlust override that?

It says supported skills cant inflict bleed, but the wording doesnt makle it clear if something that applies bleed outside the skill can.
Or does the ring "infuse" the skill with bleed, therefor not applying bleed due to bloodlust?

Bloodlust makes it so that the linked skill cannot in any way cause bleed, whether through a weapon, skill, passive, ascendancy etc. Other skills not linked to bloodlust are unaffected

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So as long as bloodlust is in the gem setup, that setup cant produce bleed regarless of any circumstances?

Yeah, from what I understand about PoE's mechanic naming convention anything that states "cannot ___" takes precedence over all other effects including "always/x% chance to ___", regardless of it's source. The way it's worded with voidheart for example: Melee skills have 100% chance to bleed on hit - so your hits with melee have 100% chance to bleed, you hit and they go to inflict bleed and your support linked Bloodlust overrides it to 0% before the effect can occur. But you can inflict bleed with any other melee skill because bloodlust only prhibits bleed with the linked skill only.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Each trap that triggers will summon a totem in it's place, if the max number of totems are out then the oldest is destroyed.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

climboutonalimb posted:

Also, I was exploring the idea of what I would do if I were to design an in game unique. I think a unique from a repeatable hidden recipe would be cool and I really wish Cast on Death was a useful gem beyond linking to portal and also useful in HC. So here's my idea:

A vendor recipe incorporating a leveled Cast on Death gem which produces a unique amulet called "%someone's% ahnk" (maybe piety fits thematically) and allows the wearer to resurrect at 50% hp if their life pool drops to 0; the amulet is consumed on use. Part of me thinks this needs additional drawbacks but maybe not.

Amulets of Lifesaving are lame in Nethack and they'd be 100x more lame in PoE. A unique like that would literally be worn by every hardcore player without exception at all times no matter what, period. Not very good for diversity.

Also lol at saying "might need a drawback but nah probably not" to an item that would trivialise an entire game mode.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Mince Pieface posted:

They should implement that unique sword Radiance from the goon D2 Eastern Sun patch that let you just instakill all trash mobs on the screen as an aura and was also an insane melee weapon.

Only if it has a recipe to create it by vendoring a tp scroll + chaos orb that only the creator knows about *cough*IDDQD*cough*

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

theshim posted:

Yeah, thinking about it, Searing Bond is pretty hard to reliably keep things burning. Fire Traps are probably the way to go - chuck a few out and then start blasting poo poo with Flame Surge, rinse and repeat.

Orrrrrr...hmm. Does Flame Surge override Elemental Conflux?

If you mean can Flame Surge Ignite through conflux, the answer is no. "Cannot" overrides any other modifier that could apply, including "always".

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whypick1 posted:

No more listening to her for 10 minutes because I refilled my Prophecy wheel and subsequently got 1 or 2 to complete while she was still talking. :woop:

TO PLOW A FIELD

YOU NEED A TOOL

TO HARVEST GRAIN

YOU NEED A TOOL

TO SHUT THE gently caress UP

YOU. NEED. A. TOOL

edit: this is one hell of a specific bugfix:

quote:

Fixed an issue where players with 100% stun immunity could be permanently stunned when attempting to cast Bladefall while immobilised by a Spike Trap.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 19, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/DamnedWeaponEffectsUnique~~1

That's the only thing on the wiki that comes up for insanity, some kind of unspecified modifier for something.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

theshim posted:

It's worth noting that this also means you don't get the benefits of dealing the damage (leech, etc.).

And also worth noting that if you're using poison on those bladefall mines (you are) with Southbound gloves, on-kill effects apply to you instead of the traps, so say hello to corrupting blood stacks and other fun things that traps/totems/mines usually protect you from. If you're not wearing southbound (and by extension Binos), 1) you're doing it wrong and 2) you'll STILL suffer on-kill effects from any mob that dies to the poison and not the initial hit with bladefall.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

killstealing posted:

You can use binos fine while mapping with bf mines if you have enough high tier maps, i just don't see why you would since aspd + spelldmg is better

Bino prolif is a great way to make bladefall mines clear quicker, is a dagger so you can still WB and gives respectable stats otherwise. For bosses though I swap away from Bino. I was mostly being facetious though, I just personally can't stand using BF mines without prolif since they're so drat clunky with placement and triggering.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Monsters cast Vaal Righteous Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
lol the poe reddit is losing their poo poo over the russia garena integration, reds under the bed are gonna scam ya!

• Locked thread