Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Pharnakes posted:

I downloaded an item filter this one, but it doens't seem to work properly.

For example I want ti to show Portal scrolls, and in the text file it says:

Show
BaseType "Portal Scroll"
PlayAlertSound 9 100
SetFontSize 25
SetBackgroundColor 0 0 0 100

Which looks like it should work. But portal scrolls don't show up unless I press alt to see everything, although the sound does seem to play. Any ideas?
You could try removing the 100 from the SetBackgroundColor line. The fourth number is optional and sets the transparency of the item (0 = invisible, 255 = completely opaque), so it's possible that they are showing up but you can't see them because they're mostly transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
What are some good auras self-buffs for a Marauder using Cyclone linked with the Blood Magic gem? I want to leave a little bit of mana left over to summon golems and poo poo. Running Herald of Ash and Determination right now.

EDIT: Herald of Ash isn't an aura :downs:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 18, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Summon your golems on CWDT.
Ehhh, I'm also using Decoy Totem some and CWDT doesn't work with that, so I still need some mana around.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

As Cyclone I would consider Hatred + Herald of Ash + Arctic Armor, reserving 100% of your mana. AA doesn't do much while you're moving but the slow is actually really nice.

4 link somewhere with like Enduring Cry + Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Golem, OR put it on your CWDT setup in place of a curse; CWDT + IC + Duration + Golem/Curse (I like Enfeeble, Temp chains also good)
Is there a reason Cyclone builds all seem to recommend Hatred as the elemental damage aura? Anger seems like it'd be more appropriate for a Marauder.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is there any way to force Masters to spawn before you have a hideout? I just cleared normal and I've been sitting on five level 2 Masters for an Act and a half. I want my crafting benches dammit.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is there a way to change which IGN shows for my items on poe.trade? I went to the PoE site and made my Talisman character the one that displays in the top-left, but my account page and poe.trade items still showcase my old Darkshrine character.

Actually, what happens if someone tries to whisper my Darkshrine IGN when I'm playing Talisman? Do I see it anyway?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm working on making a Reave Shadow built for all crits all the time. Which will get me more damage in the long run: Herald of Ice + Hatred, or Herald of Ice + Haste? I guess Hatred + Haste is also a possibility but I think it'd run into mana problems. Nevermind, Hatred + Haste is 100% reserved, so I can't sustain that in early leveling.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 11, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Does anyone know how Ice Bite interacts with Herald of Ice? HoI kicks in anytime an enemy shatters, so is it possible to get frenzy charges off any shatter, or only the ones caused by the explosion?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Deegan posted:

I'm trying to gauge the accessibility of PoE before I download and start it. It looks kinda cool, but my first impression from the OP is that I need to spend 2 days studying all the formulas for equipment and skills before I can actually be effective and have fun. It also sounds like the game doesn't start until 60 and then it is material farming.

I played D2's Eastern Sun years ago and enjoyed the new additions to D2, and the complexity, but never felt like I was experiencing the depth of the game because it was hidden behind an absurd amount of repetitive crafting formulas. I had to spend as much time studying the wiki and researching every single drop's use as I did actually playing. All the conversions, upgrades and triple tier secret recipes became tedious but required to see some content. Demon football field anyone? I got to the level where I could see some of that content and a Baal progression bug ruined my game.

I kinda want to try it and like it, but looking at the skill tree makes me hesitate. My first impression is that 90% of those skills will be 'gain +1 resist' or ''gain +1 spell power' and not actual unique skills. Are there only 2 or 3 specific paths, per character, that will let you see the end game? An optimized path is inevitable, but don't want to keep looking at a wiki every time I level.

Thanks for your input.
For what it's worth I've put something like 175 hours into PoE over six characters or so and have a loving blast with every new character I play, but I've never once gotten someone over level 65 or even seen a single map (the endgame loot runs) drop. You can have a ton of fun with this game without getting into endgame grinding/optimization poo poo.

EDIT: But wait until tomorrow to play, there's a new league starting then.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 3, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I really loving hate the labyrinth. Let's create an arena where only about 10% of the ground is safe to stand on, and then have the boss cover that 10% in exploding poo poo that takes you from 1,300 life to 0 in less than a second on normal. Also now you need to spend an hour just getting back to him, gently caress you!

I figured level 37 would be enough to take normal labyrinth on, but nope! :mad: I don't even want to imagine what this poo poo is like in cruel and merciless.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Tried the lab again last night and just annihilated Izaro. :feelsgood: I feel like a lot of it was just getting a better layout for the final arena though. The last time I tried it was absolutely covered in spike traps and it just felt like there was nowhere to run to when he tried to leap slam or cover me in green poo poo or whatever. I had full fire resist and something like 60% phys reduction from armour and it just didn't help at all.

Anyway, thanks for the tips about the map and just skipping everything unnecessary. Took me about 20-25 minutes this time. Is there even any point to bothering with silver keys and doors? I feel like that's what was slowing me down in my first attempt.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I sealed an Emperor's Trove prophecy in Normal and put it up for an alch because I figured nobody would care about it. Of course that shot it to the top of the list on poe.trade and now I'm getting inundated with trade requests from people who don't read the description and think they can use it for Merciless/uber lab. :lol:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I've been playing this game for almost 200 hours and have never been part of the goon guild. Can I get an invite to it? Current IGN is Laceration_Station.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I've decided that for my next character I want to try a spellcaster that is all about making GBS threads lightning absolutely everywhere. Any fun build recommendations?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Does anyone have a brief list of really high-trading-value mods to look for when trying to determine what to sell? What I mean is, are there any particular mods that you see and think, "whoa, that mod is valuable, I really need to take a closer look at this item and see if the other mods stack up." I'm learning that I don't know a goddamn thing about trading values outside of looking up prices for uniques.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

New question: Does the "monster skills chain 2 additional times" map mod cause all monster skills to hit three times or something? The mod sounds so innocuous given how few chaining skills there are, but every time I run one I get absolutely wrecked.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Are there any Ice Trap builds around anymore? I always wanted to try one but the only Ice Trap builds listed in the Shadow builds forum are for 2.2.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

fennesz posted:

I forgot that PoE takes 15 minutes to patch :negative: gently caress
Does anyone know why this is? It takes like 20 times as long for Steam to patch PoE compared to basically any other game.

Also I think for this league I'm gonna make an Arc Witch because gently caress the meta.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I do not understand why Call of the Brotherhood sells for like 15c. Is lightning-to-cold conversion really that popular?

Of course I just checked poe.trade and found some idiot selling one for 1c, but I'm at work and can't grab it myself :negative:

EDIT: Anyone want to buy that 1c one and sell it to me later? :shobon:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Strongboxes as in the boxes you can find on the map that spawn monsters? Those can be modified?

I just checked the wiki and apparently they can. Do I need to identify them first? I had no idea.
Strongboxes basically act like any other item and most orbs will work on them. For extra fun you can vaal them which corrupts every item inside :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm running a crit Arc Witch with the intention of using Call of the Brotherhood once I'm able to afford one. I also just had a The Halcyon drop, and I'm trying to determine whether I should keep it, or sell it to get some cash for the ring. I assume The Halcyon's increased cold damage will apply to the converted damage from Call of the Brotherhood, but I also feel like using both will throw my resistances into the shitter. Any thoughts?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

I just started playing this, after getting burnt out on the latest season of Diablo 3.

I get that your first time around your going to royally gently caress up your build, which is why I don't mind playing for 2 weeks and then restarting in the new season.

I checked out the newbie guide in the OP - basically it was a "how to play an ARPG", not "Heres what to know about POE".

Is there a newbie guide for people who are familiar with ARPGs?

Also, is there anything that can be done about the fact that this game is horrifically ugly?
The wiki has the Diablo Player's Guide to PoE, which might be what you're looking for.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Looks like I got purged from the guild. Can someone send me an invite? IGN is RighteousNoPantsLegacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Can a cool goon invite RighteousNoPantsLegacy to the guild?

• Locked thread