Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Is there a goon guild or whatever for this game still? I think I'm gonna play again for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Longbike posted:

Easiest way I've found to cap resistances and buff general survivability prior to act 3 merciless: Save every alchemy orb you find while leveling. Do whatever it takes to get past Brutus (stack life) and Merveil (stack cold resist), then beeline straight to the Fellshrine ruins. Run it for several levels, picking up every decently rolled two stone (anything better than a 14 to each resistance) ring that drops, along with everything else of worth that drops. Loot filters are your friend here.

Alch every two stone you pick up, and combine the crappy ones into prismatic rings (vendor one of each type together). If its still crappy, then it goes into the chaos recipe.
By the time you've ground out a few levels, you should have found a few upgrades and will have several chaos from vendoring sets that you can use to purchase anything else you need to fill out with resistances or life. At that point you should be set for resistances and can just upgrade as and when you get good drops or save up enough to trade for nice things.

Your mileage may vary, but I'm going to totally disagree with this.

Instead, take those alchs you have that you would be using on alching two-stone rings. Let's say you have around 10 (low estimate). Trade them to someone for chaos orbs. There's a currency trader on poe.trade, or you can just find someone who needs them in guild chat or something. It's not hard, I've bought and sold alchs a bunch this season. So now you have say, 5 chaos orbs.

With just a few chaos, it's easy to go on poe.trade to buy two great rings and a great belt or amulet or body armor or whatever that will have a ton of resists. You might use a search that looks like this one: http://poe.trade/search/akoboyamimigot Heck, as of this current search, there is an online guy with a ring that has >100 total resistance, life, and even a small weapon ele damage up for an alch. Alching one white ring is not going to get you results like that. There's also a ring up for 1c that has 107 resists, 54 life, and still has room for a good crafted affix. You can find similar gear in other slots for bargain-basement prices -- after a week or so of a season, you can get medium-good rare gear for almost nothing, since everyone is looking for the big T1 life rolls and big offensive stats, % rarity on top of other good rolls, etc. Something as simple as tri-res and life doesn't cost much at all.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

baby puzzle posted:

The official forum is terrible. Don't go there.

Is there a good place where people post about builds online and discuss strategy? The official forums are indeed hard to read.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Can we start talking about what everyone's first build is gonna be? I was thinking about 2H RT Cyclone but that sounds a bit dull. Maybe considering crit Arc Witch again since I had a good time with that last league, but I'd rather do something new. I guess I could try it with Templar or another class?

Also, is ST getting buffed back to its glory days? I did a couple 2H ST guys back when Primacy was hot, and it's fun and powerful. I also always wanted to do a buzzsaw but it was too flavor-of-the-month when I was thinking about it and very overpriced. How do you build it now that they've nerfed Alpha's and is it effective? I saw some people talking about it a couple pages ago so there must be a viable build.

Basically for an initial build I am looking for something that doesn't need too many super rare things and is cheap and can get me up to, I dunno, tier 7 maps at least pretty easily.

What about Bladefall? People raved about it in Talisman and I never understood how to build it.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

poedb has datamined values for Ascendancy gems up

It looks like Earthquake got super nerfed already; the aftershock used to be 80% more damage, and is now just increased :(

Neversink's filter is also updated

That's a bummer; Earthquake was looking fun. I guess it will probably still be decent? I might still try it.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

nightwisher posted:

Maybe it'll be like SOTN and we get an upside down wraeclast to fight through

This sounds great. Act 5 begins with a paltry fight with trash Malachai clones, and you progress backwards through acts 3, 2, and 1 to fight the real boss all along -- Ultra Hillock.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Anyone in here have Elreon 8 and can do a multimod for me? Or, is there a good way to not get my items/ex stolen if I find a pubbie to do it for me?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

What does southpaw refer to in PoE? I've never figured that out. Presumably something to do with offhanding?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

So I think I'm probably going to make a crit dagger Reaver for my first character this league. Is there a better offhand than Death's Hand/other options? And what do you think, should I still run Assassin's Mark for the crit chance or maybe a defensive curse since I shouldn't have a problem maintaining power charges?

The other thing I'm torn about is Assassin vs. Slayer. Slayer seems super awesome but those 2H nodes being worthless make me feel sad. And Assassin with the crazy poison/bleed node seems like it might do some insane damage.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Oh yeah, Soul Taker is cool I guess. Then I could potentially run another aura since I wouldn't need mana, plus no mana leech needed.

e: there's also the comedy option...which is just using a shield.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Soul Taker is really strong and not too expensive I don't think, although if you want a high roll, it's up there. It lets me run Hatred/HoA/Arctic Armor which is pretty great.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

I'd really like to do the Shaper before I stop playing this league, and my Lacerate Soul Taker Gladiator seems to not quite have enough damage. I figure beating him on my BV guy should be the best option.

So, for the pro BV PF people, what can I improve on this?

This is my character, the one named Vortaedx is the BF PF.

My main question is that I'm running a +1 curse neck right now so that I can have Enfeeble on my CWDT. It'd be simple to replace that with a Crit/Crit Multi/ES neck and get some extra damage and ES at the expense of losing that curse. Not sure how much Enfeeble helps on Shaper, since I know bosses have reduced curse effectiveness. Also note that I'm locked into gem colors due to a corrupted chest, so I'm using Added Fire which seems pretty strong, and I'm missing Controlled Destruction. I'm using Phys to Lightning for the extra leech and it's a good damage gem as well.

Also, any other gear or tree weaknesses you see? I feel a bit squishy even with 12k ES, unless I have Vinktar up in which case I have invincible-levels of leech. I've got about 6 ex and 300 or so chaos so I can spend a bit of currency if there's anything that could get me a real improvement.

EDIT: 21/20 BV and a level 21 Discipline are obvious places, I guess.

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 22, 2016

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Yeah, Taste is pretty strong, I should probably buy one...5 ex this league feels like overpaying but w/e.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

I think the cast speed hit is summoning the totem itself, not how fast the totem casts spells.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Decided to go for a 6L on my Starforge Flicker Strike guy even though it doesn't matter, and got it after about 700-800 fusing.

Then I bought a Shav's for fun and decided to dump some fusing into that because who cares, end of league.

Got it after about 350. So, uh, anyone know any good low life builds?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Eezee posted:

Ball Lightning is really fun imho.

Pathfinder with Dying Sun, or is there a way to go Elementalist or even Occultist for gently caress-off levels of curses and auras? I don't really feel like I need to make another PF, having an insane 12k ES BV guy this league and my Reach TS PF last league that was basically a monster lawnmower.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Is there any reason to think Doomfletch will be nerfed at all? Otherwise I might try that next league; it looks fun and I've never done an Inquisitor.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Pathfinder got a huge nerf though? Limiting flask recovery on crit makes it way weaker. Still probably decent though; it was the most powerful Ascendancy so probably more in line with the others now.

I was thinking of doing Doomfletch Inquisitor next league but with the Raider buffs maybe just a Reach TS guy? Raider was decent, going to be super strong now.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Glacial Cascade owned as the third skill in CoCslam a couple leagues ago. It looks cool.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Cast when channeling is a pretty absurd mechanic. For me it took a 6 link to really shine, but at that point wither-cwc-firestorm with 2 consuming darks has annihilated most everything. Got all the duration available on the tree so firestorm, poison, wither all last ~4 seconds. Has ended up as one of those builds that kills atziri and her crew about as soon as they come out of their invincible animations. Haven't had anything so far that has lived long enough for the full damage ramp-up of 12 firestorms and 20 withers to accumulate.

Defense is solid too. I'm doing inquisitor instead of occultist because I like life builds. Sitting at 6k hp, 5k standing armor (brine crown), 14% life regen on the constant hallowed ground and 3% leech off of warlords mark and enchants. Have been able to face tank most everything I've tried so far except esh because he won't hold still.

Link your profile/character? I wanna do a fire caster something and this seems fun. I'd probably do CI though depending.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Your build looks a lot like mine, so if you want you can check out what I did here, on the char AedmundV.

Your tree looks almost exactly like mine; I'd add to what that other guy said:

-You should be able to drop the mana flask. I use a Stibnite for survivability, but you can kinda do whatever. Vinktar is strong on this build of course.
-I ditched the Disembowling crit nodes, but YMMV depending. Your weapon has more crit than mine so in theory you shouldn't need them.
-I use Choir of the Storm, which synergizes insanely well with this build, but it might require some regearing. Think about it.
-You can get better jewels. Don't use Survival Secrets. Get jewels with DAMAGE and CRIT MULTI. What is your crit chance right now? I can't imagine that you're not carrying more than you need, given that you use a Diamond Flask. I have 82.2 without power charges and not counting Assassin's Mark, and again your weapon has more crit than mine -- though OTOH I get a lot of crit from Choir of the Storm. Also, you should get life on as many jewels as possible.
-There's room for a lot of improvements with regard to life and resists on rings, belt, gloves...not sure where you're lacking.
-Added Cold will almost certainly be better than Faster Attacks, though YMMV.
-Agreed that 1.6 is a bit slow for attack speed with this build, so there's definitely room for weapon improvement.
-Enchant your boots dude, there are some really really strong boot enchants. Attack speed if killed, Fire damage if killed, Leech, Movespeed, Lightning damage if not killed (for bosses like Shaper), etc.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Essence Drain is cool and can do everything in the game and also ignore reflect, which is cool and good.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Getting >200 ES on boots or gloves is expensive, especially if you also want any other decent stats. Helms are pretty easy to find above 300 and even go to 400+ with insane rolls.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This league is going to own.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Nice, Panda. That's awesome. Who are you in game?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

That looks fun. How are Uber Atziri/Shaper on that build?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Map clearing vanity builds are super fun and a great way to spend lots of money if you have someone who can already kill the endgame bosses. I basically made a fun COC ignite Vortex guy a la Mathil this league and although it CAN do Shaper, I'd rather do it on my insane-o BF Ele Inquisitor, so the COC guy is just a really fast map clearer and she's fun as heck. Bought her a Skyforth anyway. :v:

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

whypick1 posted:

That's exactly what poor means.

The curse delivery problem is thus: in order to actually get 3 curses on a monster you need either a tri-Blasphemy setup (requires some investment in mana reservation reduction as stock it's 105%) or a 5L Curse on Hit setup (poor use of sockets) or some tomfoolery involving Uniques (Heretic's Veil takes care of the Blasphemy problem, but not cheap; one set of Unique gloves gives you Temporal Chains on hit and can be corrupted for another curse on hit, but you either need to be really lucky or shell out a good amount to buy them).

Drop it down to 2 curses and it gets easier, but you're still either really close to your enemies for Blasphemy or you're eating up a 4L for a Curse on Hit setup

The tri-curse I used on my ED Occultist was Enfeeble/Temp Chains on Blasphemy and then Witchfire Brew for Vulnerability. I think that's probably the way to do it.

I built her low-life though, and I was playing around with her yesterday on Standard and it's kind of squishy. So CI might be a better choice even if you have the 6L Shav's...not sure.

EDIT:added quote above because some other people posted

EDIT2: Lioneye's was already pretty good with a Gladiator build, adding another 70 or so life on top just makes it better and makes at least one ~life build~ more viable!

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 1, 2017

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Valle posted:

Just got booted to login screen, and now it just times out at login. Anyone else get dropped as well?

Yes, and lost a Shaper that was in phase 3. Of all the times.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Beta has been patched so that M no longer crashes the client. But there are no microtransactions available in inventory or to buy, so I can't make any stash space for the guild stash in beta. Not sure I would anyway -- worried it wouldn't carry over when they wipe in a day or a week or w/e.

Anyway, if you need an invite to beta guild, msg rgz_MrJackpots, MrDGoestoaBeta, or Rodent in-game or PM me here. I don't know character names for the other officers but they can chime in below.

I can do invites too, playing on char Aedmundinthebeta.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

I chanced a Skyforth yesterday. At least it was in Legacy and not in beta! Gonna try to sell it and a couple of 6L regalias I've been sitting on and get my first Headhunter.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

I started a beta guild. Message "Aedstillenjoysfire" for invite. I'll promote some peeps when I sign off so hopefully we can get it going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Am I crazy or did they just introduce a new unique chest based around getting frenzy charges with traps, and then turn around and make it literally not work? (Frenzy charges only for Attacks now, a bad change)

• Locked thread