Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

SeXReX posted:

I watched someone playing one of these once and it looked like he was just going into the same room to grind exp or something for hours on end but then he informed me that thats just how the dungeon design was.

look kinda cool but that experience put me off the series
You def. gotta grind for levels to beat the bosses in the remakes/new ones, they're more or less gated in such a way that you'll have lots of trouble until you get to the level threshold, and past that they're actually manageable.

I felt I had to grind a lot more in Felghana, though, Origin was a bit more lenient about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I wanted to post this song and Illburn Ruins. Dang it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQ7TamDQsI

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Goddess Feenah: Yes well, you could say the root of our problems is the Black Pearl... While also bringing us prosperity, it also awoke a demonic power. You could say... [A borderline illegally funky slap bass jam kicks in] It represents the Dark Side of magic.
Ys origin has really good inappropriate music during certain parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU_ka-9_gsU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

In fact, everyone should own a Vita just to play Celceta.
Hope it gets a PC port in the far-off future.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Congrats, the final boss is pretty tough with Yunica and completely miserable with Hugo.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

I might revisit this game and play as Hugo or the third guy at some point. But from what I understand they travel through the same levels and bosses which is kinda lame/
Hugo is really terrible to play as, imo, predominantly because his aim is tied to his movement direction, but it's worth it because his character is a total rear end in a top hat and his story shits on all the cool, nice stuff that happens in Yunica's version. The third guy is really fun, though, maybe moreso than Yunica.

I can't remember if there was much different for Hugo, but Toal's(?) campaign switches up some of the order of stuff, I think, and the story is fairly different.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

elf help book posted:

it's never on sale ever
Certainly not four separate times on Steam alone this year so far.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

:yeah:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Today's give away is Ys I+II. Old school gamers only.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

You won. It was 47.
So close.

Happy Ysmas, rediscover.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I see. Does the boy get more complex than basically just aiming and shooting later on? My assumption is that he must
Lol he does not.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Reading about the third Origins char really makes me want to replay it as him
Doing it now, he's incredibly win.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Wots your Steam :grin:
Always the Ys bridesmaid, never the Ys bride.

Congrats to everyone who won and big ups to In Training for putting on this contest.

mysterious loyall X posted:

Nightmare in felgahana sucked cuz the enr nm ies all habe a billion hp and u do no damage and get likekilled in 2 hit
I beat Nightmare mode with Hugo and it's the same thing. It was loving poo poo and I'll never do it again.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

In Training's love of Ys is why I respect In Training.

Seriously though, after beating all the XSEED-published Ys games on nightmare, what should I go do now? I need more Ys, and I do not want to wait on Ys VIII.
Did you beat Origin with all the characters?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Slur posted:

On nightmare with all 3? Yeah.

Doing Nightmare Boss Rush on the games wasn't worth it at the end of the day, except for Felghana, where if you do beat it, you get a hidden boss, and if you beat him, you unlock debug mode
drat, son.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I found the writing kind of cloying and it took too long to tutorialize at me and get to the battles. But I should probably try it again at some point.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Each character has different minibosses as far as I can tell, based on what path their story follows, but I'm pretty positive the big ones are all the same and in the same order.

Yunica's story has the best feels, Hugo's story is the funniest (ironically, and moreso after playing Yunica's), and Claw's is canon/cool.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

Ys VI is really fun to play. I'm definitely a fan.
Sounds really cool and different.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

tfw you destroy every single piece of the centipede's armor as Toal in one cycle before he even starts rolling around on nightmare
Rad. Here's what happened on my first try at beating the centipede the other day.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I figured out why my SP is so low.

Those big crystals are worth 500 on hard mode. on nightmare they're only worth 1.

so if you ever play nightmare do not buy the get more sp ability and instead use the sp that you get from chests on something useful. I doubt I'll even be able to upgrade my final armor much less get faster boost and skill charge.
Yeah, that's the lovely thing about Nightmare mode. I had maybe four upgrades total when I beat Nightmare with Hugo, and I think it was with the 'increase SP' ability.

Actually just checked my save and nope, strengthened the eyes of Fact, leveled up my armor, and nothing else.

Bobby The Rookie fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I beat Origin with Toal. That was insanely epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Ys Origin is coming out on PS4/Vita tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6thPekAh58

I have it on PC and beaten it twice but its probably my favorite of the single protag Ys games so I think Ill pick it up on Vita and try do all 3 campaigns
I will never play Hugo's campaign ever again.

• Locked thread