Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I like it when people trot out the strength of their opponents to discredit a winning record. Nobody knew before the season the NFCE was going to be Clownball University, and not too many people could predict the Falcons would have decided to stop playing 6 games into the season. What else are the Panters supposed to do? Send little care packages to Tampa Bay, Atlanta & New Orleans & say "Stop sucking so much! You're making me look bad!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The statement I made is that of the 14 games the Panthers have played, only 2 have been against winning records. This is literally true.

Panthers:

Jags 5-9
Texans 7-7
Saints (twice) 5-9
Bucs 6-8
Seahawks 9-5
Eagles 6-8
Colts 6-8
Packers 10-4
Titans 3-11
Redskins 7-7
Cowboys 4-10
Falcons 7-7
Giants 6-8

2 teams with winning records. Qualifying your record with "playoff teams" is needless when we can just look at records and opponents. Carolina also played 3 teams with .500 records. 2 of those .500 teams are from the AFCS and NFCE, the worst divisions in football.

Let's compare that to some other NFC teams.

Packers:
Bears W 5-9
Seahawks W 9-5
KC W 9-5
SF W 4-10
Rams W 6-8
Chargers W 4-10
Broncos L 10-4
Panthers L 14-0
Lions L 5-9
Vikings W 9-5
Bears L 5-9
Lions W 5-9
Cowboys W 4-10
Raiders W 6-8

Packers beat 3 teams with winning records, and played 5.
Cardinals beat 3 teams with winning records, and played 5.
Vikings beat 1 team with a winning record, and played 5.
Seahawks beat 2 teams with a winning record, and played 6.

All these teams have played against at least as many teams with winning records as Panthers have played against winning teams + .500 teams. And more hilariously, all but the Vikings of that group have won equal to or more games against teams with winning records.

It's hard to go 14-0, but the Panthers schedule has been easy as gently caress. I guess congrats on finding the specific qualification parameters that make it look more impressive than it is?

My god, you've blown lid off this whole thing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Android Bicyclist posted:

What else are the Panters supposed to do? Send little care packages to Tampa Bay, Atlanta & New Orleans & say "Stop sucking so much! You're making me look bad!"

That would unironically make me feel better...so yes...

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I like it when people trot out the strength of their opponents to discredit a winning record. Nobody knew before the season the NFCE was going to be Clownball University, and not too many people could predict the Falcons would have decided to stop playing 6 games into the season. What else are the Panters supposed to do? Send little care packages to Tampa Bay, Atlanta & New Orleans & say "Stop sucking so much! You're making me look bad!"

Even if everyone did know the NFCE and AFCS would be bad, what can the Panthers do? Request that the league schedule them new opponents?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Here ya go Atlanta, you can have AJ Klein, Daryl Williams, and a bucket of Bojangles Extra Crispy. See you guys in a few days!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I too am shocked that Carolina's opponents end up having worse records because Carolina has beat them all.

The Redskins, Falcons, and Texans would have winning records if they beat Carolina.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I would love for the Falcons to beat the streak, it would be the ultimate moral victory in an otherwise terrible season but there is no way that is going to happen and draft picks are at stake.

Go the Carolina Dabbers

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Sweet. We've gotten the thread to transition from denying the cakewalk schedule, to acknowledging it and stating that they can't control the quality of their opponents.

Which is true, they can't control who they play. And as I've said repeatedly, it's still impressive to go 14-0.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Honestly, that Packers schedule is not much better. They beat the Chiefs before the Chiefs realized they were good, lost to two of the teams with winning records (including the Panthers heads up), and the Vikings are mediocre. Aside from those teams, they faced a murderers row of the Lions and Bears, Raiders (not awful this year), Matt Cassell Cowboys, and the Chargers. Let me find the strength of schedule award because we have a landslide winner here!

By the way, I can get to a Cookout with going through a stoplight. I'm in line longer than it takes to drive there, or if I walk it is 15 minutes.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Pretty sure everyone knew the NFC East was going to be terrible. The only surprise in that division was Romo being out most of the year and not carrying the team to a division title at 9-7.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Their schedule is pretty similar to the '72 Dolphins as far as the records of their opponents.

The '07 Patriots had to beat several impressive 11+ win teams in their undefeated regular season, but they lost the Super Bowl so who gives a poo poo.

It takes a lot of luck for a team to go undefeated regardless of how much skill they have. There will always be a couple of games where everything goes wrong and the team shits the bed. Carolina had that against the Saints and in the second half against several teams. They've just been fortunate enough to have Cam Newton who keeps coming up big in those situations.

14-0 and they still haven't locked up home field advantage. poo poo is tight at the top of the NFC.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Pretty sure everyone knew the NFC East was going to be terrible. The only surprise in that division was Romo being out most of the year and not carrying the team to a division title at 9-7.

I actually think Dallas is a pretty good team with Romo at the helm.

Their defense played for what they were dealt with on the other side of the line.

Obviously he was rushed back against the Panthers, and picked a bad team to have your comeback game against.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If Romo was healthy all year the Cowboys probably have 10 wins by the end of the season, 9 for sure. Romo puts up 400 yards on the Saints passing "defense", he is worth at least 1 point more in the Seahawks game (they lost by 1), I imagine they could have scored over 10 points against the Bucs with him, and they lost two other games by a FG with either Weeden or Cassell "leading" the way. Romo is such a big upgrade over those two I don't think any metric could adequately express it.

edit from N/V

MrSargent posted:

From the NFL: Ron Rivera to eliminate bat from Panthers' pregame routine, says "it's the 'No Fun League' for a reason".

lol Ron
I honestly laughed out loud at this. Coach of the Year, shut it down, contest is over

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 22, 2015

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Why don't we talk about the strength of teams that contenders have lost to?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"You see, this team that has not lost a football game is not actually good, because they only beat x good teams, instead of x+1"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Alaois posted:

"You see, this team that has not lost a football game is not actually good, because they only beat x good teams, instead of x+1"

When you get right down to it, the Browns and the Titans are two very good teams that managed to beat better teams despite being bad.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It feels much more damning for the Packers having lost to two 5-9 teams than it does that the Panthers haven't played 'good enough' teams.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Like yeah ok the panthers had an easy schedule, except the pats lost to the eagles (lol), the chiefs lost to the bears, packers lost to the loving lions, broncos lost to the colts, and the cardinals lost to the rams.

Those are all "good" teams with a winning record that lost to "bad" teams with a losing record. The panthers played a lot of bad teams and also a couple good ones and didn't lose a game.

You want to see a fraudulent team, you look at the Falcons stumble their way to 6-1 beating poo poo teams and then proceed to implode as the season dragged on. Falcons schedule was at least as easy as Carolina, only good teams they played were the Panthers and Vikings.

Yeah if they were in a tougher division and had to play the steelers or bengals twice they might have a loss in there. I guess then they'd be the only one loss team instead of the only undefeated team :pwn:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The Panthers are 14-0, but all the teams they beat have lost at least one game, making them losers. So really, the Panthers have beaten no one except losers, which makes them the biggest losers of all.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tato posted:

The Panthers are 14-0, but all the teams they beat have lost at least one game, making them losers. So really, the Panthers have beaten no one except losers, which makes them the biggest losers of all.

They just don't have any quality losses to prove they are good

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The strength of schedule argument works in College ball because schools have at least some control over who they play.

The NFL one is dumb because teams have zero control over it.

There I solved it we can all go home

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Joey Freshwater posted:

The strength of schedule argument works in College ball because schools have at least some control over who they play.

The NFL one is dumb because teams have zero control over it.

There I solved it we can all go home

The goon this thread deserves.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
gently caress that team, they are garbage for beating teams they are suppose to beat.

gently caress that team, they are garbage for losing to a team they are suppose to beat.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Athanatos posted:

gently caress that team, they are garbage for beating teams they are suppose to beat.

gently caress that team, they are garbage for losing to a team they are suppose to beat.

I think I understand now. The only good team is a team that loses to everyone they're supposed to beat, but beats everyone they're supposed to lose to.

My god, Jeff Fisher truly is a genius.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Playoff tickets sold out in a literal minute.

Wish I could go but I'll be stuck at work throughout the entirety of the playoffs -- except I made sure I got Super Bowl Sunday off. :getin: Gratz to any of y'all who got tickets and/or are available to go.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Wins against quality opponents aren't the only measurement of how good a team is. Great teams also tend to blow out weaker teams. The Panthers have had some very decisive victories. They've also blown some massive leads, which worries me.

But if you look at parts of the games, they've held 21+ point leads against a lot of teams. They're not frauds. They're not true front-runners like some of the other late-season undefeated teams, but they're not frauds.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesus christ dudes, theres been one team in 40 years to 16-0 you dont do it and "get lucky" or face a weak schedule.

If cam wasnt as good as he is we lose at least one, if the defense doesnt stand up at the right time we lose at least 2.

The whole bullshit about having an easy schedule is just that. If the Panthers go 16-0 its a tremendous achievement regardless of who they played.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Wins against quality opponents aren't the only measurement of how good a team is. Great teams also tend to blow out weaker teams. The Panthers have had some very decisive victories. They've also blown some massive leads, which worries me.

But if you look at parts of the games, they've held 21+ point leads against a lot of teams. They're not frauds. They're not true front-runners like some of the other late-season undefeated teams, but they're not frauds.

Plus those leads were blown to Drew Brees, Andrew Luck and Eli Manning. The overall records for those teams isn't great, but those QBs are still really good.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Jesus christ dudes, theres been one team in 40 years to 16-0 you dont do it and "get lucky" or face a weak schedule.

If cam wasnt as good as he is we lose at least one, if the defense doesnt stand up at the right time we lose at least 2.

The whole bullshit about having an easy schedule is just that. If the Panthers go 16-0 its a tremendous achievement regardless of who they played.

Nah man, it's cool, he said it's impressive. Just not as impressive as you would think a 14-0 team would be because

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

10 pro bowlers

remember when the pro bowl mattered

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

10 pro bowlers

remember when the pro bowl mattered

Just glad Thomas Davis finally got voted in. A grave misjustice in the universe has been righted.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What I get from this is that if the Panthers go 16-0 it's pointless if they fall in the playoffs or lose the superbowl.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pope Mobile posted:

What I get from this is that if the Panthers go 16-0 it's pointless if they fall in the playoffs or lose the superbowl.

Basically.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Late but any southerner who denies sweet tea and fried chicken must humble himself under my mighty hand so that i may lift you up in due time (Nick 3:16) oh hell yeah

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

waah posted:

Just glad Thomas Davis finally got voted in. A grave misjustice in the universe has been righted.

This. I don't give a single poo poo about the Pro Bowl but I'm happy for TD -- long overdue and richly deserved.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

There's maybe 8 good teams, everyone has a weak schedule this year, if you ask me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm glad the thread has realized that the Panthers are bad and are fraudulent frauds that would struggle to finish 4th in the SEC West. That's not a compliment because Alabama would struggle to finish 5th in the Big Ten West. Because the South is Bad in Football.

Also Cookout and Bojangles are fried crap now a heaping plate of Skyline that hits the sp....gently caress I can't even finish that sentence my troll game isn't that good.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

It is. But people are not going to stop throwing bones at them because of how many soft teams there are in the league this year.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm glad the thread has realized that the Panthers are bad and are fraudulent frauds that would struggle to finish 4th in the SEC West. That's not a compliment because Alabama would struggle to finish 5th in the Big Ten West. Because the South is Bad in Football.

Also Cookout and Bojangles are fried crap now a heaping plate of Skyline that hits the sp....gently caress I can't even finish that sentence my troll game isn't that good.

Take back everything you said about Bojangles. Thems fightin' words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
My girlfriend got me a Mike Tolbert jersey for Christmas. I freaked out like a little kid. I saw the jersey and was like "Oh sweet, I bet it is Cam, or maybe Luke, could be Josh Norman" then I saw the 35 and freaked out.

Everyone I know knows I love Tolbert, but I can't believe she actually got me a Tolbert jersey. I probably have to go back to when I was like 12 to find a present I was so excited about.

Well, thanks for letting me share.

• Locked thread