Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jewel Repetition posted:

Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for VII?

The prequels were all about telling the fans that they really need to grow up, get laid, and set childish things aside, so I imagine the new ones will be, "no, it's still okay to like Star Wars, you're not a man-child, this is all as cool as you remember"

"The Force, it's calling you. Just let it in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mahoning posted:

$474,544,677
$310,676,740
$380,270,577

This is how much the "bad" prequels made.

I don't know why this would lead people to believe that Disney wants to play it safe this time around. No matter what, it being a Star Wars film means it will print money. Adjusting due to inflation, plus the cash-grab format up-sells like 3D, fake IMAX, and real IMAX means that its almost guaranteed to make more than Episode 1 did.

(Just a side note, The Clone Wars movie that was released in theaters has already been surpassed at the box office by The Force Awakens via $50 million+ in pre-sales)

If you want to claim the "safe" angle because of JJ (or Colin Trevorrow for that matter), that's one thing that you MIGHT be able to back up. But nothing about Rian Johnson's career points to him playing anything safe.

One trilogy will do well no matter what, but Disney has invested $4 billion dollars in this bitch. They're wanting to put one out every year for the rest of time, you can be drat sure they want to get off on the right foot with something that's really crowd pleasing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Padme is a racist.

Yep. The Searchers is pretty overtly referenced in ANH and AOtC- Luke is Martin, Anakin is Ethan. Padme gets to be Vera Miles' racist-rear end romantic interest

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't like sand people. They're coarse, and rough, and irritating, and they get everywhere.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sassassin posted:

When did the jedi look cool?

Getting mowed down by a bunch of frail, goofy robots and talking termites

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Jedi hold council in a literal ivory tower.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

TPM is somehow infinitely better looking than AOTC. It's bizarre.
Digital

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

Apparently everyone camping outside Mann's Chinese Theater was just invited inside by Disney/Lucasfilm executives to watch the movie.

Expect spoilers in several hours.

12/15/15-12/22/15 - It's awesome
12/22/15-6/2016 - It's okay
6/2016-2022 - It's terrible
2022-??? - It's better than you remember

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have the ultimate, canon, solution:

Space diabetes claims another victim

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nerdbot posted:

There's a billion "what if Darth Maul survived" hot takes in the EU but none about what if Mace Windu survived. THAT'S the poo poo I wanna see. Give me clueless Sam Jackson as a Jedi Hobo.

This is why Lucas felt the need to cut Darth Maul in half, you electrocute a man and throw him out a window that's 1000 stories high and people are still like, "Well, we don't know he's dead."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't imagine something happening in the movie that hasn't been speculated on ad nauseum for the past 10 months anyway. I mean if there's a ten minute rape scene a la Irreversible or something like that then color me surprised.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This guy looks like he should be a way cooler character than he is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if the Death Star shits, but it certainly ejaculates

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

Quick request:

I am going to see Force Awakens tomorrow night with someone who has never seen the original films. Needless to say there isn't enough time to watch the originals between then and now. Is there any sort of YouTube or video primer this thread would recommend to get her up to speed without burning her out on the material itself?

I say let them go in cold, the idea of Star Wars from the very beginning has been that it's an ongoing thing with recognizable enough archetypes that you can jump in at any time. It's what George would have wanted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

JJ Abrams is a fine director, his writing team just tends to be spotty.

I unironically wish Lindelof had written the new Star Wars

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

It's been a while since I've watched the clone wars film, and if I'm gonna do a marathon I might as well add in the other theatrical release on my own.

Don't forget the Ewok movies, which were released theatrically in Europe

edit: dammit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I've never once seen people clap at a movie theater.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I enjoyed the movie a lot, the new characters are all solid and it injected a sense of fun into the proceedings that's been missing for a while. With that said, I think my biggest gripe is that the movie withholds so much information from us (details presumably to be revealed later) that it undermines the stakes because it's not clear what anyone is trying to accomplish.

What is the point of the Resistance? If they're just a tool the Republic is using to combat the New Order in occupied systems, then why doesn't the Republic just use their regular military? Is the Republic technically supposed to be at peace with the New Order?

How does blowing up one planet cripple the Republic, and what does that mean for the Resistance and the galaxy?

Why is it so important to everyone - Resistance and New Order - that they find Luke Skywalker? I know he's Luke Skywalker, but he's just one dude, he can't single-handedly determine the outcome of a war.

I understand the desire to stay away from having to talk about politics, but as it is there's never really a sense of what's at stake on the larger scale. If they didn't want to delve into politics, they could have just written a less complex scenario. But that's mostly forgivable because the characters' personal stakes are well established.

There are other pieces of information that are conspicuously withheld from us that are kind of concerning because I don't care and can't imagine a reveal that would be worth the buildup. Namely:

-Rey's lineage
-Snoke's identity/origin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

He kinda did before though. Almost single-handedly.

That's true in a sense, but I don't many people would realize it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Linguica posted:

I love that Abrams took a perfectly understandable bad guy weapon from ANH (big thing that flies around and blows stuff up) and made it totally incomprehensible (even bigger thing that... sits there? And somehow fires a laser shotgun through hyperspace or something? And then recharges by sucking up a star? And then it must have to move at some point because now the star is dead? Idk)

It seems wrong for the movie to introduce a weapon of that magnitude and have it basically be an afterthought. It blows up a planet that we know nothing about, whose loss doesn't really even register for any of our main characters. The Resistance seemingly has been asleep at the wheel while the massive undertaking of its construction has taken place, and yet the solution falls in their lap and in movie time the destroy it within about an hour of learning of its existence. Plug, the dogfight when they're trying to blow up the shield feels completely divorced from what's going with our main characters. I like Poe, but we really haven't spent enough time with him to care what he's up to while we're switching between him and the other pilots and Rey, Finn, et. al. You really could have taken the whole thing out and not have significantly altered the arc of the movie, since Luke is the real MacGuffin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

On top of this, it turns out Force Awakens is a remake of both A New Hope and Phantom Menace, mashed together.

This is a film where Republic still exists but fuckin sucks, the Jedi are failures, and the baddie is transparently a combination of Anakin and Darth Maul.

And they've replaced a CGI black man with an actual black man.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You know what, I'm not even spoiling this.

What the hell do people mean "the political situation was unexplained in the movie." They set up the entire political situation in the opening crawl. There is nothing more complex going on there. They don't really cover the major effects of the planet exploding but that is because the planet exploding is effectively (and LITERALLY) a combination of Palpatine dissolving the senate and the Death Star blowing up Aldaraan in ANH. People didn't need either of those things explained.

Why does the Resistance exist as a distinct entity from the Republic? Maybe I'm being dense because I watched the same movie you did and don't have any grasp of this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also is it just me, or has C-3PO gained weight since the OT?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mitchicon posted:

The Republic has a peace treaty with the FO. Most worlds of the Republic are exhausted after decades of intergalactic war. Yet, the Republic's government understands that the FO is still a danger and bankrolls a paramilitary group, the Resistance, to continue the fight.

This is kind of what I guessed, but where does that come from?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This is probably really stupid but is Snoke a giant alien or just a hologram being projected much larger than the real person/being actually is? I mean at one point he sure looks like a hologram that disappears, kind of like the Emperor is in Empire Strikes Back.

He is a hologram. I think the hologram tech has improved in the intervening decades.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

qbert posted:

Weren't all the storm troopers in the original trilogy clones as well?

No I don't think so.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So is he a human or an alien? It almost looks like it could go either way. He could be a really hosed up looking human in the way the Emperor was, or he could be an alien.

He is one of those two things, correct.

Linguica posted:

Considering the entire EU was thrown out, I'm not sure if there's a real answer now, but I think it's pretty well accepted that by the time of the original trilogy they were no longer using clones, or at least not exclusively.

I mean just watching ANH, they vary in height and voice, plus I don't think they'd refer to the previous civil war as "The Clone Wars" if clones were still an ongoing thing.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The opening crawl.

This is all we get about the Resistance's charter in the opening crawl:

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE.

There's still nothing to the effect of why the Republic needs a proxy. The idea that they're officially at peace with the New Order makes sense, but just two sentences of exposition making that explicit would have cleared up a lot, and as far as I can tell it's not there.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It just feels like they're trying to have their cake and eat it too, for the Rebels Resistance to still be the underdogs (because the establishment is never sympathetic in the Star Wars universe) while still not undermining the ending of Jedi. Otherwise, why not just say that the Rebellion was never able to totally oust the Empire from power and that they've been continually at war for the past 30 years? What's the point of establishing that the Republic exists and then destroying it without us ever seeing anything of it?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

The loss registers a gently caress of a lot more than Alderaan did in ANH. Alderand's instantly vaporized while we watch from high orbit, and we get Obi-Wan's concerned poetry. In TFA you see the surface of the planet and everyone's fear, and we're told why the planet's important, because it's the capital of the Republic or something.

At least with Alderaan we know the name of one person there, that person is related to someone we've met, and the name of the planet is mentioned more than once over the runtime of the film. Also the planet's destruction is central to the story; it fucks up the main characters' plans and forces them to adapt.

The destruction of the Republic capital seems like it should have pretty big ramifications, especially for an outnumbered group of irregular military who have their backing, but all we really get is a couple of generally unconcerned, one off lines about "well we won't get support from the fleet"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Keep in mind that the First Order were in the process of powering up the Starkiller weapon and turning it on D'Qar where all those characters were currently located so they didn't have a heck of a lot of time to mourn the Hosnian system, they had to get poo poo done or die a fiery death.

That makes sense, but I just think somewhere the movie needs to put in a just a little more legwork to tell us why what happened with Coruscant Hosnian Prime mattered.

It's also just strange in general how much the movie buries the lead about Starkiller Base. There's a superweapon that can destroy solar systems and singlehandedly end the war, and Snoke, Kylo Ren, and the opening crawl are all like, "well that's just great, but what I really want to know is where the gently caress is Luke Skywalker?" Guys (and movie) you have planet that can destroy suns, who gives a poo poo where Luke Skywalker is?

edit:

Zoran posted:

This movie is the same whether Starkiller Base has a planet-destroying superweapon or not. It's totally divorced from what the main characters are doing.

That's kind of what I'm trying to say. When the only purpose it serves is as a plot device to get everybody from point A to point B, there's no need to make it something so huge and world-altering. It's overkill. If it was just a shipyard or something you could tell pretty much exactly the same story, without making the search for Luke seem so trivial in comparison.

I guess the one counterpoint you could make to all of that is that this time the New Order has truly been created in Vader's image: "Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 19, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Taken from his family as a child, and put into a harsh brain-washy kind of bootcamp Stormtrooper training program thingy. Like the Academy of Law from Judge Dredd.

Or the Jedi temple

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

Speaking of Kylo Ren, something that I thought was great about his character.

I disagree that he is more powerful than Vader (although we do see him use more powers) - Where Vader was calm, collected but filled with hate and anger. Kylo is a raging unhinged lunatic who struggles to focus his aggression, and is frustrated that he's not as powerful as he wants to be.

Yep, Vader didn't need a bunch of exotic powers because he was the best at the one that mattered- killing people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

teagone posted:

Lol, that someone is Kylo Ren.

Also, is there a goon consensus on whether or not Finn is Force sensitive? Speculative of course, but I hope it's true because then we'd get a potential Jedi Knight with great comedic timing and personality, and that is a loving awesome prospect seeing as how most Jedi we've known up until this point were stoic, brooding, and enigmatic.

I see no reason to think he is, or any reason to hope he is. It's refreshing to have a major character who's just a guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Sabers are unrealistic and trying to work with a weightless blade against a trained user with years of practice like Kylo should've left both main characters dismembered in seconds. Sci-fiFantasy is unrealistic, get over it.

Still mega annoyed though that the not-Empire apparently can either hyperspace entire planets on demand or Starkiller has an FTL anti-star/planet beam that can hit anywhere from anywhere. I mean, like, GG rebels.

Starkiller Base is a Weapon Sue

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Silver Brushes posted:

Thinking about Knights of Ren: I finally figured out what Kylo Ren standing with half a dozen guys with slight different armor/weapons reminds me of: Vader talking with the bounty hunters. Not saying that's what they are of course, but visually I couldn't put my finger on it until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE&t=88s

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

TRAITORtrooper blocks the lightsaber with a cattleprod. For some reason I thought lightsabers could cut through anything. :shrug:

It's kind of arbitrary, at the beginning of episode 3 there are those robots with capes that have sticks that look even more like cattle prods that are able to block lightsabers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think there is something to be said for the way characters treat droids being indicative of their character. In episode 1 we have the bad guys who use droids as disposable cannon fodder, contrasted with Amidala, who calls a ceremony to praise R2-D2 for his service. Then in episode 2 we see the badguys' moral bankruptcy one-upped by the Jedi and wise old Yoda, who comes blazing in with an army of disposable human beings.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think Star Wars had a need or obligation to introduce more diversity to the cast, but Finn and Rey are good characters that I enjoyed, so that's great, everybody wins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Having seen the movie a second time, I still like it and still think the character arcs all work well, which is certainly what matters most. A far as story, I think all of my complaints could be boiled down to one note: the movie needs to be about the search for Luke, or it needs to be about Starkiller base, it was a mistake for it to try to cram both of those stories into the time allotted. As it is both plotlines come off a bit undercooked, and neither is really all that relevant to the other.

• Locked thread