Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE
(Incredibly detailed) Summary:

quote:

The Force Awakens is set approximately 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi, where the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire have become the Resistance and the First Order, respectively,and follows new leads Finn, Rey, and Poe Dameron alongside characters returning from previous Star Wars films.

(Main) Cast:

quote:

Daisy Ridley ... Rey
Carrie Fisher ... Leia
Mark Hamill ... Luke Skywalker
Harrison Ford ... Han Solo
Adam Driver ... Kylo Ren
Domhnall Gleeson ... General Hux
Gwendoline Christie ... Captain Phasma
Peter Mayhew ... Chewbacca
Oscar Isaac ... Poe Dameron
John Boyega ... Finn
Andy Serkis ... Supreme Leader Snoke
Kenny Baker ... R2-D2
Lupita Nyong'o ... Maz Kanata

Who helped make this and what's it about?

quote:

The Force Awakens is the first film in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, announced after The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Lucasfilm in October 2012. The film is produced by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and his long-time collaborator Bryan Burk. Abrams co-wrote the film with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote the original trilogy films The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi. Abrams and Kasdan rewrote an initial script by Michael Arndt. John Williams, composer for the previous six films, returns to compose the score. Star Wars creator George Lucas served as creative consultant during the film's early production stages.

... as if you didn't know that all already.

Welcome to the Star Wars: The Force Awakens thread! Seeing as the last Star Wars thread was created when Disney bought Star Wars, this thread will also be serving as the general Star Wars thread. Because of that, I need to lay down some rules for this thread.

THREAD RULES:
  • USE SPOILER TAGS. This movie is obviously very big. I don't want this thread delving into what constitutes as a spoiler and what doesn't, so use spoiler tags when talking about the new movie and its plot points. The old characters being in the movie is not a spoiler, what happens to them is. :siren: Any spoilers that are untagged within a month of the movie's wide release (late night Thursday December 17th) will receive a longer-than average probation. :siren: Not everyone who posts here is going to watch the movie the night it comes out, so I''m setting this at a month to give people worried about spoilers a chance. Which leads to...
  • NO SPOILERS FOR THE FOLLOWING TWO MOVIES. This is the first movie in a trilogy. If you want to talk about the rumors and spoilers for those movies, go to the spoiler thread. Obviously if what happens into this movie leads into the next, it's okay to talk about that.
  • DO NOT MAKE THIS THREAD ABOUT SPECIFIC POSTERS. People can watch movies differently than you. Have a conversation about it, don't just call them a troll. If you think someone is actively trrolling, report them.

Just don't be a dick, basically. Let's enjoy (or not enjoy) some space sword fighting.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

AfroLine posted:

I'll watch this movie with my family on christmas day so please stay curitious till then.

I actually forgot how hectic this time of the year is, so rules updated.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ehud posted:

So the premiere is tonight which means we'll probably start seeing stuff leak out about how good/bad the movie is before the review embargo on the 16th, right?

Yes, but reviewers signed an NDA to include no spoilers, so they'll just be vague "it was good and magical" or "lovely cashgrab" reviews, not anything substantial.

Until the one website says "gently caress it" and posts a full plot summary and then every other site does too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Everything I've seen from this dude makes me like him. :allears:

His snapchat story is loving hilarious. Dude is so pumped to be in Star Wars.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

There's something I've really really disliked about the advertising for this movie, and maybe it's just me, but...

They're selling these action figures and toys of these characters and we know nothing about them. They haven't revealed anything about their, you know, personalities at all. That to me was why people came to Star Wars; the world and the characters. Right now it's just all imagery. What if the movie comes out and their all unlikable shitheads?

I don't think that will happen, but I mean, these are characters that will become iconic by virtue of just being in the movie. I'd have liked it if they tried to get us excited for the people in the movie.

If the people who bought the toys were actually the children they are meant for, the personalities of the characters don't matter. The toys are made for children who see the trailer and go "WOW HE HAS A COOL LIGHTSABER" and make up their own story about his origins.

Even the manchildren who buy the toys to collect them don't care about personalities, they just need to add them to their collection.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

weekly font posted:

Baby me owned an action figure of the conehead Jedi. I don't remember a loving thing we're told about him in the actual movies.

Yeah I totally had that weird curvy-headed brown alien as a toy for no reason other than he was a cool Alien.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Big K of Justice posted:

My favorite was the random dude from empire running around in the background with an ice cream maker.

They gave him a big backstory and made him an unknown hero for escaping with Cloud City's ice cream maker Computer Core before the Imperials could retrieve it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Wow, that is the most offensive description of John Boyega I've ever heard.

I will not stand by and watch the white genocide.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

gfanikf posted:

What's wrong?

That's a pretty standard reaction, I think.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Lampsacus posted:

OK, just got back from a midnight screening here in NZ. Can we talk about the film yet or should I take my thoughts to the spoiler thread?

Please talk about the movie if you've seen it, just use spoilers. This is still a regular thread to discuss the movie.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Carecat posted:

Saw in IMAX was really good, a lot like the original trilogy. None of my fears came true.

So there's no giant spiders in the movie? That's good to know.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

halwain posted:

Jesus what is it with people posting spoilers and fake spoilers everywhere. You cant even go into threads in the games forum without the risk of them.

I was actually just coming in here to say thanks everyone for being so good about this, this thread is really good.

Thanks, everyone.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

You guys are really loving bad at typing [spoiler].

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Kurzon posted:

Maybe you should just declare this thread a spoiler thread, since it's almost a wall of black anyway.

It's been out for a day.

I'm just laughing because I've had to edit like 10 posts who did : instead of [ or spoilers instead of spoiler.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Also John Boyega has been going around to theaters in New York City all night to meet fans and thank them for seeing the movie. It's on his Instagram and snapchat, I'm sure it'll get covered on buzzfeed or something and compiled, eventually.

It's really charming.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Absolutely, as a special effect. As a sign of power, not really, since we just had a bad guy a few movies ago take one to the hand. And yes, I did laugh at that scene since it had two stormtroopers trundling over to the Shocked Hero and put him down with a punch and a kick.

Threatening would've seen that big laser bolt hitting him and not even registering that anything happened. "Laser blast? Pfft, I got poo poo to do."

That would be really loving stupid, actually.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

teagone posted:

I had to search down this interview based on those images, and I'm not sure if I should be ashamed that I knew it was on Ellen because of the set layout... but here it is for anyone who wants to watch this. Boyega does a hilarious impression of Daisy Ridley, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAwgmz7jTc

:laffo: John Boyega is great.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

teagone posted:

Has anyone seen the movie in a legit 70mm IMAX theater? Someone on r/movies posted an image of the Branson IMAX theater in Missouri that is screening a 70mm print and jesus gently caress the screen is absolutely gigantic. Look at this poo poo:

gently caress, I want to see The Force Awakens on that IMAX screen so bad. Apparently it's roughly 6 stores high, and 80 feet wide lol.

Yeah, I saw it at a theater like this in New Rochelle, and we actually got the best seats. It was pretty amazing. I also saw Interstellar there and I'm planning to see Hateful Eight there as well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

So I figured it out!

If you go see the movie at IMAX starting tomorrow until the 10th of January, you can get a poster.

Why would they do that

Edit before I even post this its for loving money so they can get the best Sunday and Monday openings too.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

This is not the place for this discussion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

He is the son of Han Solo and Leia that worships Darth Vader and betrayed Luke Skywalker, what does that have to do with the prequels?

Come on now. He's so effective as a character because he is Anakin done "right." He's threatening (to everyone but MrBibs), yet petulant. Baby-faced, but out of control. He has an enormous amount of baggage, and is believable in all of it. Without knowing the backstory of the man he worships, you might think he is trying to be a badass and failing. Knowing who Anakin is lets you know that he is trying, succeeding, and surpassing his God.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

You're arguing about giant lizards and robots Jesus Christ people.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ok enough of this argument, it's running dry. Talk about something else cool in the Star War.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

True it might have gotten wookipedia'd into a more robust version of that offhand comment.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I dunno. I think if I was a kid his "It's real, all of it," speech that would have stuck with me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The dude is basically a cripple now. Did you see him going on stage in any of his appearances? He stands for about three seconds then has to sit down. The cons are probably a lot of stress on him.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yaws posted:

You got your wish. He's been probated for a month. We now go back to endless laudatory posts about the Prequels. Things have been made right again. Continue with your safe-space.

In case this isn't clear through my moderation, I'd like to make it so:

No one has been, nor will they be, banned/probated in this thread for having a differing opinion of Star Wars than others. Tezzor was banned from this thread because between his posts in which he actually attempted to make points (for the most part), he filled it with white noise garbage posts that contributed nothing to the thread. After being probated for that and told to quit it, he continued to do so (again, between "effort" posts in which he stated his opinion about the movies). That is why he is banned from this thread and will continue to be so, not because he doesn't like the prequels.

If I wanted to ban/probate people for dissenting opinions, I would have probated most of the prequel defenders in here because I don't like them. But because of the posts in this thread, I have a much greater appreciation for them and have mellowed out my dislike for them. Those interactions are what I want in this thread, and being an overhostile shitlord about it is unacceptable.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Metadiscussion has come back again.

Just post about Star Wars you fuckin goofballs.

Also this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I hope Benecio Del Torro is just playing The Collector again. Same outfit, it would fit fine.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Teek posted:

Time for a new VIII spoiler thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748341&pagenumber=166#lastpost
I opened the old one

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

This is me reading this thread

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

One thing I really like in the trailer is Darth Vader's breathing very subtly being in the background when they reveal that last shot of her

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Long shots are neat. I just like the camera to be moving at all times.

Don't ever watch Hunger

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Before this argument even gets started, don't have it here.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

The website was bad for a few minutes but eventually I just reloaded and got my 8 tickets fine. Perfect center row at a 70mm IMAX theater :getin:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna wait a week or two to see the movie without having to stand in line, like a normal person.

I thought like every theater had reserved seating now

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Whats the policy in here again? Are we even allowed to discuss spoilers if we use tags or just not discuss them at all?

I'm gonna be making a new thread probably later today for the movie (and to be the general Star Wars thread, like this one) and it will follow the same spoiler rules as this one (no untagged spoilers for a month after it is released in the US).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Revol posted:

I'm trying to decide how I'm gonna see this movie. I hear this movie was shot in IMAX 70mm (or, as it turns out, "70mm" with caveats), and I've got the means to see it in that format. Two questions, though. First, is the entire movie shot in that format? Or is this like Dark Knight, where only two scenes are shot in full IMAX? Second, I'm curious how this format would play on the screen I'm going to see it on. And when I say screen, I mean dome, because that's what we have in Tampa, the MOSI IMAX Dome. I saw Superman vs Batman there, and I hated it. Not talking the movie itself (ehh... at least Wonder Woman was awesome), but the experience. The loving movie looked warped on the curved dome. It was hard to watch. And when there was a close up? Like at the end of the movie, when the camera is coming in close to Luthor's face, it came to a point where you just can't tell what you're looking at anymore, everything becomes so distorted.

Don't see non-nature documentaries on a dome. It's never a good experience.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

:siren: I'm going to be handing out longer probations for shitposting in this thread :siren:

If you shitpost in this thread, you're going to be getting probations longer than 6 hours. If you post about things that aren't Star Wars (Sonic) without a specific reason of how they relate to Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours. If you complain about how a poster has a different opinion than you and don't post about Star Wars, you're going to get a probation longer than 6 hours.

Talk about Star Wars and stop making this thread a flaming dumpster pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Just lmao @ you if you don't think Rian Johnson isn't going to make an amazing Star Wars

• Locked thread