Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh wow a new Star Wars movie? I'm definitely going to go see this film!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I liked that the opening shot was a middle finger pointed at the audience. I suppose it was meant to be a cross, as it was Kylo Ren's Star Destroyer, but the silhouette it cause resembles a huge middle finger.

Anyway, I found the film to be decent and enjoyable. However, I do have a few, non-major, qualms:

1. The film's pacing grinds to a halt in the middle.
2. The political situation in the film is unexplained, which also makes the New Republic capitol blowing up pointless.
3. Nothing causes R2D2 to wake up, he just does?
4. The rathtars had a bad design. Mad Dog and Rama better not be dead!
5. Starkiller base concept was dumb, although all the scenes on that planet were great.

Everything else was good. 99% of alien designs were incredible and very Star Wars.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

ImpAtom posted:

You know what, I'm not even spoiling this.

What the hell do people mean "the political situation was unexplained in the movie." They set up the entire political situation in the opening crawl. There is nothing more complex going on there. They don't really cover the major effects of the planet exploding but that is because the planet exploding is effectively (and LITERALLY) a combination of Palpatine dissolving the senate and the Death Star blowing up Aldaraan in ANH. People didn't need either of those things explained.

Yes, the Resistance is being funded by the New Republic to fight the First Order and their capitol got blown up. This is all very clearly explained in the movie and not what I'm referring to. What was unexplained is where the First Order came from, if the Empire is still around, if those two are the same things, what the New Republic is like, and importantly why the New Republic isn't at war with the First Order and needs to be funding a resistance. People are making assumptions that are all very plausible and can fill in the blanks and obviously added exposition would not necessarily make the film better, but I was left not caring at all about the New Republic capital being blown up because who the hell are those people? Also an issue here is that there is no where near as good a reaction to that planetary destruction as Obi Wan's from ANH.

Beefstew posted:

R2-D2 turns back on because Rey is either Luke's daughter or a former apprentice. She was the third piece of the puzzle.

Where are you getting this from? This is specuation

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I also did not expect people to still be talking about Darth Plagueis after this movie started showing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh and by the way, do you all think that Kylo Ren found the lost Manos: Hand of Fate film reel before or after finding Darth Vader's helmet?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

NTRabbit posted:

Two random forest planets I've already forgotten the name of, Tatooine without the charm, and the snowy death star?

Jakku was well done and they succeeded in making it feel like it's own thing.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

NTRabbit posted:

It was distinct from Tatooine, but let's not pretend it's memorable for anything more than the Star Destroyer wrecks dotted across the surface

The culture of the place is much different than Tatooine. The people are much poorer, more desperate, and the whole place has a dystopian feel to it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Tatooine was a shithole but at the end of the day people could still put blue milk on the table and didn't have to stand in line for rations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, and Jakku has... nothing about it at all. There was no culture on display, just a landscape.

You got to see the day in the life of an average resident of Jakku, a girl named Rey.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oscar Isaac doesn't need anything to fall back on he is one of the best actors working in Hollywood right now.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Detective No. 27 posted:

I just realized a neat contrast between Rey and Finn. Finn was forcibly abducted as a small child and Rey was abandoned.

And poor Ben Solo was dumped by his parents to live with his creepy uncle.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The TIE Fighter that Poe and Finn steal is a special forces TIE Fighter, so it is different from the original trilogy and regular sequel trilogy TIE Fighters.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Fred Breakfast posted:

Technically, Darth Vader's Helmet, Anakin's lightsaber used by Luke

Also there was one moment that really reminded me of Knights of the Old Republic when Rey was at the bank of monitors on Han's giant freighter and she was messing with the controls to the doors. It made me wonder how many points she had assigned to computer skill

I guess she should have read up on the Tower of Hanoi.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Even if you aren't aware of Disney's nefarious plans for the future, the words 'Episode VII' appearing a few seconds after the title should clue anyone into the serial nature of Star Wars.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The rathtar sequence was real good, with the only two spots for concern being the dodgy monster design and that the Raid entourage didn't murder the entire Gauvian Death Squad with their bare hands. Otherwise, I don't see how you could reintroduce Han Solo in a more satisfying and appropriate way.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why do you keep saying that Finn doesn't know about the resistance? He goes on a mission to kill the resistance on Jakku. Hux openly discusses the resistance to the troops. It's not a secret!!!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
In fact the answer to your question about why Rey knows Han Solo as a smuggler and Finn knows him as a general is obvious. Finn grew up in a military lifestyle where he would have been educated in military history, so he knows about Han Solo as a general through those lessons. Rey knows Han Solo as a smuggler because she grew up listening to Star Wars not as a military history like Finn but as a fairy tale, like the audience did.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Effectronica posted:

Because when Poe asks if he's with the Resistance, he has no idea what Poe is talking about. Because he's our audience-identification character, structurally, he's aware of what we knew about before but not about what's new, and he largely shares our opinions about them. So why make the character a stormtrooper, then?

No, you misunderstood that scene because you're an idiot.

Poe asks Finn if he is with the resistance, Finn replies that he is not with the Resistance and that he is rescuing Poe because it is, "the right thing to do" before Poe susses out that Finn is going AWOL and needs a pilot. None of this suggests that Finn is unaware of the Resistance.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Effectronica posted:

Finn says "What?" and is visibly and audibly confused when Poe asks him if he's with the Resistance. He then says, "No, this is a rescue," which would be a non sequitur if he knew what the Resistance was. I'm sorry you're mentally handicapped.

Finn says, "What?" because he is surprised that someone would think he is in the Resistance when he is in fact not.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
No guys, the First Order are indoctrinated to fiercely believe in the cause of their military organization but they also don't know about the existence of their enemies.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Regular TIE Fighters are supposed to be the same speed as X-Wings, I figure that the speed boost that Poe was talking about is on account of him flying a Special Forces TIE Fighter instead of a regular TIE Fighter. Or maybe First Order TIE Fighters have gotten faster while X-Wings have gotten more durable with no speed boost? Who knows, oh well.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

euphronius posted:

I have never ever understood the Han Shoots first "controversy" and I've seen the film like 100+ times in both versions.

It is actually quite a simple thing to understand and I'm sure in the past two decades or so you've had someone explain it to you.

greatn posted:

When people say they want the original editions in good quality they really are saying they want the special editions minus the three or four things they don't like

When I was watching the despecialized edition recently I was quite glad about the lack of terrible Mos Eisley monsters crossing in front of the poo poo but disappointed about Cloud City being so lackluster from what I remembered of the Special Editions. What would be nice is if Disney ever goes back and does a final special edition where the downright weird poo poo like Han and Greedo shooting at the same time, the Obi-Wan 'yargh', and Darth Vader screaming 'Noooo' when killing the Emperor all gets excised and the non-offensive changes get updated a tad.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 9, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

turtlecrunch posted:

Then this is his Chancellor office or something.

Shot Context

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Extremely important fact:

It is never actually revealed - at any point in the films - that Bigger Luke and Luke Prime are the same person.

People might object that of course they're the same person; they're played by the same actor, and so-on. But the fact is that this is purely subtextual. It is never shown, or even really stated. It's purely an assumption based on the casting - and plenty of films cast actors in dual roles.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Now that people have the film, can someone find out for sure if either Raka or Mad Dog get killed by those shoggoths?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader is in Rogue One, it would make sense if Darth Vader is chasing after the Death Star plans as that's what he is doing in the original Star Wars and James Earl Jones is still playing the character on Star Wars Rebels.

I wouldn't be surprised if Darth Vader is not in Rogue One, it would make sense if Darth Vader were excluded because his presence would clash with the attempt to make a film without larger than life Jedi figures.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aside from the folks in that cast picture you also have Mads Mikkelson playing some type of Imperial, possibly the guy who feeds them info on the plans. It does seem like they're missing a big bad who chases the team down. Though there's been constant rumors of the ESB bounty hunters appearing in that capacity.

Forest Whitaker, Ben Mendelsohn, and Alan Tudyk are also in the movie but not the cast photo.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

I said come in! posted:

The Death Star is a space station. It can't be a moon because it's not orbiting anything. Is it a satellite or does it have to orbit something? Probably not cause we have satellites that don't orbit anything.

A satellite is anything that orbits a planet or moon. If the Death Star were to orbit a planet it would be considered a satellite, if it were to leave orbit it would cease being a satellite.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Since eveyone is talking about Death Stars, what would happen to Star Killer when it ran out of sun juice? Can you drive it to another sun to fuel up? Can you drive a planet? Is it just dead after they run out of sun juice after charging twice?

I'm thinking the First Order put some engines on that planet Geiersburg Fortress style in order to move it around. It would make sense because they aren't investing those kind of resources for a weapon that can only shoot twice, if they have the technology to build the thing in the first place they should have the technology to move it, and on some of the maps they released for Force Awakens they refer to a "Starkiller Base Origin Point" which implies that it has already been moved from somewhere.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 7, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Alden Ehrenreich is a good choice.

Thank gently caress it wasn't Miles Teller!

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

TWIST FIST posted:

i think the ghost being hayden christensen is better because thats what people know he looks like so it makes sense that they would show him like that to show hes anakin again

In my opinion, they should locate the Book of the Dead in order to resurrect Sebastian Shaw, the one true Anakin Skywalker.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently the cold open is young Jyn playing in a field when Clone Troopers land at her little house, Poggle the Lesser getting out and trying to persuade her father to help build the Death Star and then, when a CGI de-aged Mads has turned him down and killed him Vader coming in, choking Jyn and Mads agreeing to come so long as the girl is left alone.

Poggle the Lesser dies in Episode III.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Lampsacus posted:

Serious question: if Disney partnered with Netflix or HBO and put out a Star Wars prestigious drama what would you want it based on?
I'm thinking Shmi's early years (interactions with local characters).

The trials and tribulations of the New Republic between episodes six and seven.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The beginning struggled to get off the ground but once Jyn landed on Jedah it worked fine, excepting some hidden character development between Edau and Yavin IV. A good movie, REALLY appreciated the space battle which was incredible.

Also, I had to take a piss between when they left Jedah and went to Edau*, what did I miss?

*Jeddah and Edo? Real lazy planet names there Gary...

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

anglachel posted:

3. Vader's planet was clearly Mustafar, and it was a clear omission in it not being named when literally every other planet was. My initial thought was that it was prequel hater appeasement, but if so why would they have Jimmy Smits reprise his role?

Bail Organa and Mon Mothma are played by their prequel actors.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Hopefully Disney has creative differences with Colin Treverrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Barudak posted:

So red is the color of this film, got it.

Ready for I am Jedi (Yellow)

Force Awakens had yellow font I'm betting the next one will be... green?

• Locked thread