Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If anything ROTJ contradicts the rest of the OT more than the PT ever does.

"Oh yes, there's another Skywalker....and she's your sister! And the only woman with more than 5 minutes screen time in this series."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

We are never shown or told that Leia is not his sister

I guess Han's his brother too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Lol really. Go back to 5th grade with this low effort poo poo

Obi-Wan is his really older brother.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ShineDog posted:

And again, I'm not suggesting that George wasn't aware of what he was doing, I'm saying "By god this character is a weird and unpleasant little creep and I don't want to spend any time with him" - Maybe the plot justifies him being a weird and unpleasant little creep, but, well, I don't wanna watch it.

What is an example of a tragedy that you enjoyed watching?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zoran posted:

I just don't understand this attitude, because thinking about movies and shows that I liked and recognizing some deeper meanings in them is so cool.

Certain types of people don't like having a shallow justification for an opinion if other people have a deeper one. So therefore certain things must not deserve a deeper opinion, and if you do have that you're just a "tryhard".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Steve2911 posted:

Eh they could've explained it away.

It worked in Blazing Saddles!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

It means the Jedi are uncaring cunts,which utterly undercuts the emotional pull of killing Obi-Wan going down. Instead of seeing Our Hero dying you see some rear end in a top hat slaughtering another rear end in a top hat. Everyone sucks in ROTJ so who the gently caress cares about anything that happens to them?

- Some nerd, around 1983

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy Goodbody posted:

They can't pass a turing test, they just say roger roger and stuff. There's no evidence of individuality in the battle droids.

Someone post the gif of the battle droids in the cockpit in ROTS backing away with their hands up when they're getting cut down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

The droid control ship is the only person, it just expresses itself through many split personalities in the thousands of battle droid shells it operates, in the same way humans control their digits.

People said this about the Borg too, and yet...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is the death star a person? Why or why not?

Yes, R2 has a conversation with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Anakin being god though is a really really dumb thing tbh

Dude's already Jesus, it fits.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homullus posted:

Tell us about this "better" that you are imagining. They were incredibly innovative and created a much more complex scenario than MANS IN COOL ARMOR DO LASERS! PEW!

It would have Anakin as a knight in shining armor who becomes Vader after evil space magic invades his brain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Luke is the model Jedi imo

Notably, Luke is Anakin without the toxic atmosphere of the Jedi.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homullus posted:

Ok, real question -- what would that corruption look like? Because to me, I think corruption is exactly what happened in the prequels. He can't just be a cop on the take and turn into a black metal killing machine.

It basically just has to involve an evil artifact like Arthas in Warcraft 3.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

Reminder that the question of the personhood of robots is well-trod ground and doesn't enhance the prequels one whit.

Ah, the good old "This didn't happen but if it did it doesn't matter" argument.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vegg220 posted:

See, this kind of thing is why this is thread is just so great and so complex in its awfulness.

1. A group of ostensible adults have declared their love of and allegiance to the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers.
2. They justify this in terms of a theory about Robo-Racism that they made up and which they talk about interminably at extreme length.
3. They are incessantly smug about the intellectual inferiority and dishonesty of people who do not believe in the Robo-Racism theory in the space camel farts in a cartoon's face movie for grade schoolers, or consider it irrelevant to the quality of the movie.
4. They appear to feel and claim genuine moral superiority and righteousness for denouncing the use of and alleged discrimination against pretend comical robots in the far background of Jamaica Frog and the Boredom Twins Meet the Slanteyes From Space

It's just an intensely fascinating look into the capacity for human idiocy and I am fine to pay reregs as a sort of zoo membership

OK Tezzor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

The LOTR movies are better than the prequels. However, the Hobbit movies are much worse than the prequels.

The Hobbit films and the PT both take audience expectations into consideration. The difference is that the PT delivered a story that audiences definitely weren't expecting, while the Hobbit films made a story that audiences wanted and longed for.

Like really, the appeal of the LOTR films were special effects and large scale battles. The Hobbit films definitely provided that in spades.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only thing people remember about Return of the King is being overly long and the "Scrubbing Bubble" ghosts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spacebump posted:

The Hobbit movies took a story the fans wanted, watered it down to fit into 3 movies, made the story worse, and had worse special effects than the PT.

For the average person whose first experience with Tolkien was in 2001, the Hobbit films met and exceeded their expectations.

You'll find these people are more numerous than the "where's Tom Bombadil, this movie sucks" crowd.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

If the Jedi had stuck to their code of "you must be this young to join the order" everything would have turned out pretty ok. Their big fuckup was letting it slide once.

Palpatine's plans were in full swing long before they knew about Anakin (that dumb EU book aside).

It's likely that without Anakin they would've all died at the counterattack since he's the one that disabled all the droids.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know about that (because I don't remember it), but Anakin himself is pretty pivotal to the Empire coming into existence. Though, then again, he's also the one who informs them that Palpatine is a sith lord.

Basically nothing about Palpatine's plans in TPM requires Anakin to exist. Nothing in AOTC really requires him either. You'd get a false flag war with or without him.

Palpatine being friendly to Anakin is a long running thing but it's meant solely to sway Anakin over to the dark side.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

I was thinking the thing that guarantees the Empire is Anakin stopping Mace and events spiraling from there, but also forgot that he's the one who tells him about Palps in the first place. I don't recall if he was already heading over to remove him from emergency power though.

Mace wasn't, he was worried about Palpatine relinquishing power but nothing concrete at the moment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

temple posted:

So the bad guys won? This post reads like Anakin was oppressed by Jedis and sought liberation. But the story clearly punishes him and leaves him in anguish. The jedi are both heroes and villains and that's convenient double speak.

Yeah sometimes people who need help are shat on, and sometimes the perspective characters are also pretty terrible. This happens in real life too

*cue a million "lol Star Wars is totally realistic " responses *

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

Shot for shot comparisions are the worst kind of internet pedantry. You can't take a scene out of a movie, use arcane complicated calculations, and say that the movie is amazing therefore. What counts is characterization, plotting, and thematics.

Indeed, the visual parts of film are meaningless.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Im just glad the prequels are forgotten and we are moving forward with good star wars and not baby goo.

The Star Wars of the past 15 years (until TFA, basically) has been entirely PT based.

There's the PT themselves, there's Clone Wars, even Rebels draws heavily from it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vintersorg posted:

There's nothing to talk about right now WRT TFA as the story isn't really done yet.

This is by design. And it's likely it won't ever be "finished" in the way you imagine (rather, a minor arc will finish and then there's SOMETHING BIG just across the horizon, ala the MCU).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's a little telling that the most extensive discussion about TFA in the last six months has been people speculating about Rey's heritage and trying to make it anyone but the obvious person.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how long the Knights of Ren have been around. Did the Jedi ever know about them or did they pop up in the years after the Empire collapsed (or during it)?

They appear to be a post-OT organization set up either by Snoke or Kylo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Youre placing undue importance on Snoke. Snoke is secondary. A means to drive the story. He isnt important at this time but youre trying to make him important.

He will be relevant LATER.

Just like Thanos.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

So just to be clear, if something happens in the next few Star Wars sequels that changes the way we see events of the OT, you'll be pissed off about that, correct?

TFA already did that since whoops turns out all three protagonists are fuckups of varying degrees.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homullus posted:

The Empire Strikes Back

Nah, clearly Lucas studied Dutch in college which explains Darth "Vader".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The OT style of Force worship is kind of a white dude's perspective of Buddhism.

It's not even that consistent since at the end you have the two Jedi Masters telling Luke to go kill a dude to save the universe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Chewbacca's such a racist caricature the audience can't even understand him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If your brain shuts off when you hear someone talk a certain way you've probably never actually met people who talk differently from you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Finn can't be black, Africa doesn't even exist in Star Wars!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Its really telling that the only person defending the preqs effectively is SMG whereas everyone else is devolving into old defenses of racism, projection, and strawmen. Like suddenly yall became angry middleschoolers at the thought your precious movies are racially problematic

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

General Dog posted:

Is the podrace longer in the dvd/blu-ray release? I'm watching for the first time since I had it on VHS and there's a bunch of stuff I don't remember

It appears so, yes.

http://www.dvdactive.com/editorial/articles/star-wars-the-changes-part-four.html?post_id=79063&action=report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

• Locked thread