Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

"Palpatine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

Dooku directly works for Sidious and doors his bidding like all the time though. He's telling the truth that Sidious runs things, but lying that he wants to destroy him.

Dooku works with Sidious because it furthers his plans and also because he fears his power, but he does fully intend to destroy him. This is something that he states multiple times in the Clone Wars cartoon, and is his reason for trying to convince Obi-wan to join him and for recruiting various apprentices such as Asajj Ventress. Alone he is too weak to challenge Sidious but if he had someone backing him up, he might have a chance.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Looks like this thread is full of droid racists

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I dunno, Grievous smashing the window of the ship was kinda cool.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Red posted:

Actually: It's a base that houses a superweapon.

One thing I wondered during this scene is of that little hologram is supposed to be the death star 1 or the death star 2, because the second one was much bigger.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Its gotta be the first one; its a complete sphere and the Death Star II was destroyed before its completion.

Well then, Starkiller is less impressive.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Watching the Clone Wars were Dooku is the main villain gives you a fair amount of respect for the guy.

As for him being as good as he was. He was a Jedi for 70 years before leaving the order. Then spent the last 11 years of his life being a political activist and joining up with Palpatine. (Who he was older then) The guy is also pointed out as being one of the best duelists the Jedi Order ever produced with recording of his teachings still be used to train people after he left the order. (He is a better saber duelist then Palpatine for example.) Dude is also super rich.

Anyway I quite liked him in Clone Wars. Plus his duels there are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pI8IkWa3LQ

This is how Dooku should have fought in Attack of the Clones, with a unique style. Instead he just uses two hands like everyone else in the movie even though he has that curved fencing ligthsaber.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Please no clones, that path leads to terrible things like Luuke and Luuuke

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dubplate Fire posted:

Why doesn't Chewbacca explain to Han Solo that the force is real since he loving knows Yoda?

edit: midochlorians is a huge ret con also (from a certain point of view)

Because Han says he doesn't believe in The Force controlling his destiny, not the Force itself.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dubplate Fire posted:

He says that it's parlor tricks, implying that it's an illusion, not the real deal. Then in the greatest film in the franchise, TFA, he admits that its all real.

Han Solo: Kid I've flown from one side of the galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never anything to make me believe there is one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical field that controls my destiny.

Chewbacca wasn't a Jedi, so even if he saw force powers and other external manifestations of the force, and told Han about them, that doesn't mean Han would believe his destiny was controlled by these powers. "It's all a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I hate this.

its good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Why don't the Sith just clone massive armies of themselves if clones inherit force sensitivity?

There's a reason "Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." is a thing.

They would all kill each other.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nessus posted:

Careful, you'll trigger him.

I would assert that every Star Wars movie is pretty OK. We are lucky to have seven Star War movies and a pretty good cartoon show.

Three pretty good cartoon shows, even

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzor posted:

The new movie (and the direction of the new franchise as a whole) distancing itself from the prequels (ie pretending they never existed) is not a random act of nature worth mentioning only in passing.

You seem to be ignoring an entire generation of children who absolutely love The Clone Wars CG cartoon (which was for many of those kids their first star war) and thus, love all the prequel stuff. Clones, Anakin, all that. Theyre

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Greivous jumping out the window is cool, even if he didn't immediately pull out 4 lightsabers and kill obi wan and anakin and ended star wars right then and there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

None of the EU or novelizations are canon anymore so they can't even be held up as "the most official explanation" anymore, if they ever could be to begin with.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Yes, it is a comically awful RPG plot device that makes the prequels bad. Why do you think mocking it is helping your point?

Because there is nothing in the movies themselves that suggest that that's whats happening?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

euphronius posted:

They haven't done a suburb planet yet.

Sounds like an awful place

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

What are those two designs from?
The top one seems semi-familiar, but the bottom one is new to me. I really dig both designs, either way.

The top one is the Eclipse star destroyer (it has a superlaser at it's tip)

The bottom one is a Sith star destroyer type thing from the old republic times

They're both old EU now.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Episode 3 definitely opens with a star destroyer.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

I get more of a Corellian corvette feeling from it.

Yeah, it looks a lot like the blockade runner, which makes the droid control ship that eats it up the star destroyer equivalent.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MrSmokes posted:

Cantina Satan at 0:28 is still my favorite thing about this scene.

I like how there was a satan on the jedi council whose name was Sae Satan Saesee Tiin

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saesee_Tiin

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

As a millennial, I

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bothan stole the Second Death Star plans, not the first!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The only thing you are allowed to talk about is with who each Star Wars: The Force Awakens character is having sex with.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ROCKET LAUNCHERS SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DAMAGE AT-ATS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, I guess this is quite a few years before Hoth.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The helicopter saber is funny because the inquisitors all get quickly murdered anyway

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

The Shaw replacement is questionable but this one is good

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

Serious question - is there anyone posting in this thread who actually saw The Phantom Menace first?

I think I did

Can't really remember though

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure the prequels did exist in Lucas's brain in some form, you know, cause stuff like "clone wars" was said, and people seemed to know that obi wan fought Vader in a volcano way before episode 1 existed, so that last part just isn't true

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Spacebump posted:

It'd be pretty logical to think Obi-Wan killed Anakin and Vader was a different apprentice that was trained between 3 and 4 if this was the last we saw of Anakin in 3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_YozYt8l-g
Of course, some people would be able to figure it out but overall it would still work better than what they went with.

The type of fan that knew about the volcano duel would be able to guess the twist, but that's also the type of fan to read loads of Star Wars material. (Super fans.) I should have said it would preserve the twist for future people who just watch the movies and don't obsess over them. A person watching the movies in order for the first time (probably a kid that somehow doesn't know the I am your father quote everyone knows) could still be shocked in ESB this way.

Oh sorry haha I meant to put that as a quote to that prequel hating guy. Sorry m8

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I can't believe it was tezzor

Truly shocking

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jeri Satan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Saesee_Tiin

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What's that article of the guy who watched the prequels with his kids while also watching the clone wars cartoon. I remember them getting really attached to anakin and being genuinely shocked when he went bad.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Oh right, that scene. "This weapon is your life" juxtaposed against "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.” is the funniest contradiction the Prequels and the OT have, second only to every Jedi wearing the same robes Old Ben is wearing in exile on Tattooine, yet nobody goes "Hey! A Jedi!" at any point in Mos Eisley, not even the Stormtroopers (who are all clones that would have "Jedi wear Jedi Robes" programmed into their brains).

Actually by the time of the OT most of the clones are all dead due to advanced aging. The stormtroopers are regular recruits

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

The fact is that the vast majority of the Prequels is blank blue and green walls

[citation needed]

Theres a large amount of practical sets in the prequels

a lot of minatures as well

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

No they haven't! You're lying to yourselves! This is purely anecdotal if anything! Nobody is making new lines of Prequel Trilogy toys or books or whatever because nobody loving likes these movies!

Actually, the most probable reason no new prequel lines are being made is because TFA characters and toys are being sold at the moment. While the prequels where airing and while the Clone Wars cartoon was airing, every toy prop, every Halloween costume, every lego set focused on them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but there's still heaps of Darth Maul merch everywhere.

Makes sense, he was a major character in the Clone Wars cartoon and in the current Rebels cartoon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks to my hoarding nature I have some of-the-time stuff

Guess what movie came out 2005.

Well Goblet of Fire but also

But I guess since the marketing machine is focusing on something else right now that proves no one cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Yaws posted:

Comedic relief? In the PT it gives our heroes the opportunity to use their cool laser swords on countless enemies and the audience doesn't give it a second thought. No one watched Obi-Wan cut those droids in half and thought to themselves "man, these movies are gory!" Because that would be stupid. Because they're not people. Those droids were manufactured to kill. That's all they "know".

Do you consider the clones people? They too, were manufactured to kill. It is all they will live for.

• Locked thread