Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The prequels are incredibly popular, and provide endless avenues for discussion.

Force Awakens, on the other hand, has already caught a bad case of Avatar Syndrome.

The Force Awakens is also incredibly popular, and people talk about it often outside of this thread (and inside this thread, but whatever).

Almost no one cares about Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

Avatar was also incredibly popular.

Was, now no one seems to care and it's left the public consciousness. (News that James Cameron is filming 4 sequels at the same time is mostly being met with, "...really? Do people still care about Avatar?") Which is what SMG was getting at, by comparing it to TFA.

Like, who knows, maybe TFA will be the same after 7 years passes, like what has happened for Avatar. But it's not the case yet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

What the gently caress is Avatar Syndrome? Is it like Zika virus?

"Oh yeah, Avatar. I remember that being pretty good...anyway, what's for lunch?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

cargohills posted:

You can't really make an assumption that the same won't be true soon enough.

My post you quoted made no such claim. Just that it isn't true yet.

edit: In fact, it actually says that maybe it will be true. So I don't know what assumption you're talking about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

You're writing about Avatar right now.

Knock this off. I wrote about it because you mentioned it.

Popularity has nothing to do with making a lot of money, accruing namedrops and "likes" on facebook, or whatever. Popularity is that nebulous quality of actually being liked, which is trickier to isolate. People generally have no idea what they like or dislike, and why. For example, we have the counter-intuitive fact (scientifically proven in this thread) that Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars.

The gulf between profitability and popularity can reach such an extreme that we have what I term Avatar Syndrome: the case of a film that makes a lot of money without being liked by anybody. And that's the situation with The Force Awakens.

People are talking about, like, "who are Rey's biological parents?", and "who are Ren's adoptive parents?". "Is Luke Rey's biological parent?" (Bonus question: "who are FN's biological parents?")

You might notice these popular questions have one thing in common: they all concern things that do not actually appear in the film "Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens."

What if I told you that we do see Rey's father in the film? It's Unkar Plutt. Unkar Pultt is Rey's adoptive father who took care of her for roughly a decade, but they had some sort of falling out and she went to go live in a junkyard by herself, etc. This is the actual content of the film, and nobody gives a poo poo.

Ah, right, so we're back to you saying what people like.

"popularity, noun: the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people."

People are talking about The Force Awakens. A lot. They may not be talking about it in the way you want them to. But they are talking about it.

People like it. You can make a point that they like it for the wrong reasons. That they're being bated by nostalgia, hitting repeated story beats. Or that it's because it's a safe movie. But they like the movie. They're talking about the movie.

Yes, they are also talking about things like "Who are Rey's biological parents", because it's a mystery this movie set up. Whether they should or not, people like mysteries in their movies. The Force Awakens introduces mysteries, of course people are going to talk about them.

If you're saying people aren't really discussing the themes from the movie itself, I mean, fine. If you're saying they don't understand what it is they like about the movie, fine.

Like, I'm not getting into an argument about if it's good or not, because while I love it, I know you can talk circles around people and I'm just not getting into it. But the argument that it's not popular or well liked is, overall, false. Look at box office receipts (which I seem to remember you using as evidence the prequels were popular a while back, but I'm not trolling through you post history to find it.) Toys are every where. Tons of people bought it to watch again at home. At least for the moment, people really like TFA. It's quite popular.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

TFA is gonna be like Star Trek '09. A film that nobody rewatches on purpose.

I own Star Trek '09 and rewatch it occasionally. It's a good, fun movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The result is that people only discuss the film in terms of its box office, and things of the sort. The toys you bought do not appear in the film. The money made by the film does not appear in the film.

No, they don't. It comes up (which is annoying) but it's not the "only" thing they discuss.

But there is no objective metric to use to show they like the film. Box office receipts won't work. Review scores won't work. Audience scores won't work. (Because all three are very high.) The fact that people bought it to watch at home apparently doesn't mean they like it. They enjoy watching movies they don't like, I guess. Whatever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Tezzor posted:

Even if I'm not around I shall remain the heart beating under the floorboards of this thread, an inescapable sound reminding you of your madness and sins

I forgot you existed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm seeing some sites say it online, but they all seem pretty click-baity.

http://epicstream.com/news/Disney-Rumored-To-Be-in-Crisis-Mode-For-Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story

Like, reshoots have always been pretty common, haven't they? Why are pretty suddenly making assumptions on quality from this and the Suicide Squad reshoots?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I read an interview with some writer/director (I forget who) a while ago where he said he loves the editing process, because it's like he gets one last rewrite of the script. He could take scenes and put them in a different order, remove scenes, use different takes, all of which could change the meaning or drive of a scene. Things you think worked on paper or when filming sometimes just don't work quite as well when you try to cut everything together. You may see that, gee, now that it's altogether, it's not quite as clear as you thought that this character is trying to do this thing, or that these two characters should be more together on their goals that is coming across in what you shot. Or as simple as, god dammit, the lighting on this one isn't right, how did that happen? Reshoots can fix all of that, and is like an extension of the editing room. "I wish we had a shot that made this scene work better." "Alright, let's go get it."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I think the worry is not reshoots but Disney interference.

Fair enough, I have no idea why the reshoots are happening. But I see a lot of people all over the place taking reshoots in general as a sign that something is very wrong. Or, a couple posts up, someone saying that changing tone at this point is a bad sign. Maybe, but not necessarily.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

We're reacting to a confirming report in Variety that specified the reshoots are being done to get the tone more in-line with ANH/TFA.

As I said, there are perfectly legitimate reasons to do reshoots, but tone is something that's in every scene, every shot. To come back in at the very end and expect that you're going to change the overall tone without creating some inconsistencies seems unrealistic to me.

Where are they saying that? I don't see anything about it on their site.

http://variety.com/t/star-wars-rogue-one/

Actually wondering. If Variety is in print too and it's there but not on their site, fine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Interesting. Alright then, thanks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Phi230 posted:

Thrawn is canon but apart of a children's cartoon with god awful animation

And a new book by Timothy Zahn coming out next year.

I don't know if this helps or hurts your feelings on this.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So far the new EU is being used to tell smaller stories or give background flavor. Everyone is right, you're probably not going to have big stories (as someone else said, no Death Stars) with the main characters from the movies, because you'd have too big of a risk stepping on someone's toes. And honestly that's fine. Lost Stars is one of the best Star Wars books I've read in over a decade, and it focuses on two new characters existing in the background of major events from the OT. Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron are some of the stronger books in the old EU, and other than Han showing up for one book and a cameo from Leia (...I think), the biggest character in those books was Wedge. Granted, you would have had a problem if someone wanted to make a movie about taking back Coruscant, which happened in one of the Rogue Squadron books, so something like that could be a big deal issue. But smaller stories in Star Wars is not a bad thing.

Use the movies for big, giant, epic stories, and use the books to fill in the universe. New characters, background stories.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TerminalSaint posted:

Which debacle is that?

Probably the one that turned out to be trumped up bullshit.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Water Sheep posted:

At the end of Empire, Luke is off on his own adventure, Leia is with the Rebellion in hiding, and Han has returned to the criminal world.

None of those things are true at the end of ROTJ, but are once again true at the beginning of TFA. Not to mention no one ever references Vader's redemption.

This is kind of splitting hairs, but Luke and Leia are both with the Rebellion in hiding at the end of Empire, with Luke explicitly leaving his own adventure to reunite with his friends, and Han has only returned to the criminal world if you mean as a frozen trophy, which isn't remotely the same as how he was in TFA, where he did it by choice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerkface posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/755930302795673600

I like the aliens for Rogue One. They also revealed the door gunner alien is named Bistan.

That's pretty cool. I'm getting a vaguely run down Vader look from whoever this is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pakled posted:

They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

This is, like, the one change that's hard to argue with being a legit good thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Stupid question. Does the EU/Legends have a story about the evacuation of Yavin IV? It seemed a little risky to do your medal ceremony right away; I'm sure the Emperor gets a text notification or something when his battle stations blow up, and that's not even counting Vader getting on the horn and letting him know. You've got to think the Imperial navy was on its way.

I know there was a fun round in one of the Rogue Squadron games where you get to play a TIE Fighter attacking the evacuating Rebels. But that's all that comes to mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I can't believe you guys are arguing about the prequels again when THIS was posted!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Stuff like this is why I can't quit the Star Wars thread.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wasn't this discredited forever ago?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

The fact that Anakin built C3PO as a companion, not a slave, is an important part of establishing his character.

Didn't he build 3PO to help his mom around the house? So he built him to serve? Be a slave to a slave?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

Threepio's first words are "I am C-3PO, Human Cyborg Relations. How may I serve you?" But he doesn't perform any labour, or wait on the other characters--Anakin leaves him with an apology for not finishing him, a promise that his mom won't sell him (ooh, problematic), and "You've been a great pal!"

Although it's appropriate that a Christ figure would engineer "a slave to slaves."

Sure, he never actually does any labour, because a protocol droid is an awful choice for helping around the house. But that was the intention of the 8 year old kid.

In other words, kids are dumb. Even ones who can create super advanced robots.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

Counterpoint: they are called snowspeeders.

Is that what they called them in the movie?

Officially, they're called T-47 Airspeeders you don't care, but the point is, there's a line near the beginning of the film saying they're having trouble adapting the speeders to the cold temperatures. We call them Snowspeeders because it's the only thing we ever see them do.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

We call them snowspeeders because that's what the box said in 1980.

Ah, good old canonicity of toys.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

homullus posted:

It isn't established, actually. The fact that they don't call it a Death Star doesn't mean it isn't one. Do they actually say "no, it's not a Death Star?" Like, you're arguing that a Concorde is not a jet, because they call it a "Concorde" very clearly and show a schematic of it comparing it to a smaller passenger jet. In every way -- how it looks, what it does in the plot, how it is meant to bring new fans to the iconic imagery and old fans to their Happy Nerding Grounds, how it gets destroyed -- it is a Death Star. The second Death Star is bigger than the first, right? So it's not even distinguished by size, only by the different name.

Here's what jivjov is being obtuse about.

code:
			  MAJOR EMATT
                          (HORRIBLE MEMORIES)
           It's another Death Star.

POE
           I wish that were the case, Major.
          Poe hits a control. A WIREFRAME OF THE DEATH STAR APPEARS.

POE (CONT'D)
           This was the Death Star.
          Poe hits another control -- the Death Star SHRINKS -- AND
          SHRINKS AND SHRINKS, as the SURFACE AREA OF THE STARKILLER

BASE IS DRAWN INTO A LARGER IMAGE, REVEALING THE ENTIRE BASE
          PLANET. The Death Star is a minuscule SATELLITE in
          comparison.

POE (CONT'D)
           This is Starkiller Base.
So one character says it's another Death Star, and Poe says actually, that's not true.

But, like...c'mon, man, you know what everyone is saying. It is essentially, and for the purposes of the story, "another Death Star".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Except that's already been thoroughly debunked in this thread: Ob i-Wan's costume is different from the moisture farmers in Episode IV already, being based on samurai garb. Likewise, the Jedi have individual robes in the prequels, all of which are different from the moisture farmer look. There'S a huge post with all the different costume designs and designer'S comments on them that shows that this particular meme is bullshit.

If someone has this post, I'd love to read it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thank you for finding this.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm sorry, this is very interesting but I'm unclear what point it is rebutting. What is the original argument that this is responding to?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone earlier had argued that Obi-Wan was dressed as a farmer in ANH in order to blend in on Tatooine and that the prequels hosed up by aping that style for every jedi.

And then someone made reference to a large post laying out the differences between all of the outfits worn, which I asked for.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Golden Gael posted:

I remember an old documentary about the making of Star Wars that noted most of the films of the 70s were pretty downbeat and cynical, reflecting a lack of trust in American leadership at the time. Movies like Chinatown weren't exactly inspiring. Part of what made Star Wars take off was that it was genuine good fun with a happy ending, which stood in sharp contrast to the gritty realism of popular pictures in the day.

Yeah, a common theme of movies at the time was, "If you fight the powers that be, you will lose, badly." Cool Hand Luke and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid being two examples pulling from Paul Newman alone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

If the first death star took 18+ years to make how did they make death star 2 in like 4?

I believe in the old EU they said the Empire never planned on having only one Death Star, but several throughout the galaxy, so the second Death Star was already in production when the first one was finished. It was just designed to be larger and better as the new model. Like iPhones.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Let's look at the opening of Attack of the Clones once more, and talk about the clones that I haven't seen mentioned before -- those of Padme Amidala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsqqLeVc-b0

During this opening sequence, we have one copy of Amidala, played by Kiera Knightly, killed via bombing.

That is not Kiera Knightly. She was the double in TPM. Veronica Segura played her in AOTC.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

The plot of Hidden Fortress really isn't very similar to A New Hope, that is always overrated because Lucas' comments on the subject are often misunderstood. He took what he saw as the best aspect of Hidden Fortress, the fact that the entrance point of the story and audience surrogates are peasants, and transplanted that idea into his own epic adventure story. The fact that both movies feature a princess character is really the only other significant plot similarity.

The original screenplay for Star Wars was pretty much a direct adaptation. It's just that he used that as a starting point, and each draft got further and further from it. I agree, you can't really say A New Hope is basically Hidden Fortress isn't being remotely fair. In it's final form, it's almost nothing like it, other than peasants, princess, and a literal hidden "fortress".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

That's bizarre that the some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time don't have proper releases.

The original trilogy at least did, as was mentioned above. Two discs each, here's the ANH one. https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000003G8X

They are great. But it looks like you can't get them new anymore.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

Was sort of startled to discover today that Yoda's line, "No, there is another" was actually written as a bridge to the conceptual Episodes VII-IX and the "other" who was going to vanquish the Emperor after Luke destroys Vader in VI.

Yup, then George got tired of all these Star Wars and finished it in one more movie, saying, "Uh, the another is Leia, who is now Luke's sister. Yeah, that's it. Perfect."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lampsacus posted:

Oh and Ewoks and Droids (tv shows) too.
Sure. But have plenty of people watched All of Star Wars who post in this thread? I'd be curious if there was anybody. Have you seen all of Droids?
Not being pedantic, I think it'd be an interesting blast of Star Wars. I'm sure you'd come out the other end with a slightly different perspective on it all. Or perhaps not.
also:
Lego Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles
Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales
Lego Star Wars: The Resistance Rises

I'll stop digging but I have no doubt there is probably a lot more Star Wars to watch if you really want to scrape that barrel.

I mean, I haven't seen the Lego stuff, and I haven't seen Ewoks or Droids since I was a little kid so I couldn't tell you much about it, but...yeah, that's me, for the most part. Not in a row, but over the course of my 33 years alive, sure.

I'm sure a few other people who post in the Star Wars book thread have, too. It's not exactly special.

edit: You probably mean in a row, but this comment made me think you might mean over time.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 9, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CelticPredator posted:

Way to forget Genndy's Clone Wars shows.

Those are some crazy fun.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah to reiterate, ALL Star Wars. Which I would say is special. Most Star Wars fans have only seen most Star Wars.

On the internet? I think it's not all that special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't think of any example that isn't an MST3K-caliber Master Ninja situation. Though there's a lot of instances where a TV pilot during production evolved into a full out movie.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture originated as a TV pilot also (part of why the costumes are so hilariously cheap looking in it) for Star Trek: Phase II. They originally did have a whole new cast and everything but whoever producer was like no man let's give this TV pilot the best effects we possibly can and make it a huge deal and get the old crew back. Amazingly two of the cast members of that unused new crew do appear in the movie very very briefly, they're the two that get killed in the transporter accident.

I want to say one of David Lynch's movies was a straight up TV pilot that he shot some new stuff for to make it a stand alone feature film when no one wanted to pick it up, IIRC Mulholland Drive?

I already don't understand Mulholland Drive. But I REALLY don't understand it as a pilot to a TV show. Where the gently caress would you go from there?

Granted, maybe that's why no one picked it up.

• Locked thread