Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What kind of waffles do the prequels make though? :colbert:

Burnt and meaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's my big manifesto for how the prequels could have been done better: Anakin should have been cast older in episode 1.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

korusan posted:

You are correct. I guess I meant "guy who calls the shots".

If we're using Star Wars analogies though does this make Mulcair Chewbacca?

Head of Government my Canadian friend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

My 10 year old cousin says his favorite Star Wars character is Kylo Ren. He's seen all of the other movies multiple times, his dad's a big Star Wars nerd who even likes the prequels for the most part. I'll have to ask him who Kylo Ren is and see what happens.

The valet from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Duh.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

does anyone know if gonk droid is in this?

Boycott the premiere with me

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

You would complain if she didn't run away too tough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TG-Chrono posted:

Newsflash, elements of Science Fantasy Space Opera don't make sense! :fuckoff:

That NPR politics podcast came up on my playlist and as usual the hosts were awful. They had guests on explaining how the Republic seemed like its institutions weren't set up well or working right (duh) and that the Jedi were a really bizarre organization that might *gasp* be part of the problem. The hosts laughed off the idea that the Jedi might even be slightly not good. (And of course they took it as read that nobody liked the prequels.) Last week they had me pounding the steering wheel in a half-hour podcast about the Republican field that used too many sports metaphors for me to count but never mentioned a single policy position of any candidate.

Cnut the Great posted:

Why The Politics Of The 'Star Wars' Universe Makes No Sense

Obviously the depiction of the legislature in Star Wars isn't going to make perfect sense, because it has to be conceptually simplified as well as condensed for time, and also altered for dramatic purposes. It's incredibly easy to show how it's unrealistic. But, amazingly, this article manages to fail at it:

The Trade Federation is clearly not a government agency. It's a private megacorporation that has a monopoly on trade. It is pretty odd that they have a seat in the Senate. That's kind of the point.

It's not even that odd for major industries to have representation in the legislature. Some would argue it's more healthy than having them buy votes. Hong Kong or Germany both have similar setups.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 16, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know the past year I have been wondering who killed GBS and why.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not afraid of a toddler with a loaded gun. I'm afraid for the toddler with a loaded gun. Because toddlers are toddlers. They don't do things right as a matter of fact.

You've proved you're an idiot in a lot of posts in the last couple days but this is just perfect.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

The only way to be an idiot is to think Kylo Ren is threatening at any point in this movie.

MisterBibs does not feel threatened by a toddler with a loaded gun, everybody. That's the context for his post here. Only a real big strong man who uses his lightsaber like a strong man would is scary to MisterBibs, or to anyone, is what he's saying. A guy with magic powers who smashes things when he is angry and tortures people is not threatening, because MisterBibs is so powerful and strong. He's even immune to bullets, in fact.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

Kylo Ren is what you'd get if Anakin turned to the dark side as a teenager instead of a young adult and just never matured past that point, and also was on steroids.

Anakin did turn to the dark side as a teenager. I always thought it was weird how the audience/goonmind gives him a pass for slaughtering that village because (I guess) he continued being a good pilot and acting conflicted, even though we know he can and will give into his fear and rage and snap. He's already done it once by the halfway point of Clones. Kind of goes to show how misunderstood the prequels are generally.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 20, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jivjov posted:

Waving around a deadly weapon is not a hissy fit.

MisterBibs isn't afraid of a child waving around a gun. He wouldn't know a threat until it literally shot him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

The buttons on lightsabers always looked way too huge and cartoony. What's wrong with covered slide switches? Something more recessed would ensure there's no way of accidentally pressing it, whether upon pulling the saber out or while in use.

Then again, maybe that's just not a problem for Jedi and having quick activation is more important.

Because it's a prop in a movie JFC. (This is literally the answer. It needs big cartoony greebles because a more ergonomic design wouldn't have visible tech stuff on it. It would just look like a cheap tube of metal. Which it is. Until they put the "too huge and cartoony" greebles on it.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

teagone posted:

I could see Finn having a more passive/empathic connection with the Force, i.e., he doesn't wield the Force overtly like Rey or Ben (mind tricks, mind reading, telekinesis, etc.) but instead is more attuned to sensing the emotions of others, giving him an innate urgency to help those in need. Like, he can be good enough of a Jedi to wield a lightsaber, but he'll never be able to stop a blaster bolt mid flight.

Like many of the other characters in the series?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kylo Ren worships Anakin Skywalker for his strength as Vader and seeks to emulate him; there's strong dramatic irony to this in that the audience knows that Ben is behaving exactly like Darth Vader. The character doesn't know how like his grandfather he really is. You literally can't know that without the prequel movies.

Bongo Bill posted:

Knowing Anakin's backstory is how you know he is failing to copy him. He idolizes his grandfather but he doesn't understand him.

I would say he understands all too well; he just doesn't know it. But the audience does.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 21, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes you can because all that is explained in the OT. What does knowing what the prequels tell you

I told you. He worries if he's strong enough to behave just like his idol Vader, but we know from the prequels that he is behaving like Vader with his petulant outbursts, insecurity etc. This is high school lit stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Talk about a hot take.

(Lucas wrote the story, co-wrote the screenplay, and executive produced ESB. His influence is undeniably present in every aspect of the final product.)

No. Midi-chlorians exist, and they're exactly what the Jedi say they are. Midi-chlorians are not the Force. The Force is an energy field. Midi-chlorians are microscopic organisms which act as mediators between the spiritual world and physical world. They're a metaphor for symbiosis.

Force ability is clearly genetic, since it runs in families. Midi-chlorians explain why. They don't fundamentally alter anything that was established about the Force in the OT. They're merely an exploration of a different aspect of it.

It's a clever metaphor based around endosymbiotic theory. It's not the end of the world. The Force is a fake movie religion. I'll bet a good number of the people up in arms about midi-chlorians here are probably atheist or agnostic, which makes the whole controversy even more absurd.

Maybe he doesn't understand what made it good to you. That's not really his problem, though.

Cross-reference attack of the clones which takes the idea of symbiosis and inverts it, as every relationship we see in the movie is tragic, warped, or breaking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And you know what Rey did too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

teagone posted:

The Half in the Bag review suggested a cool thing where the last shot should have had Luke slowly take the lightsaber from Rey using only the Force and then grab a hold of it, ignite it, then the film does the screenwipe on the shot Luke admiring the saber. That would have been so :circlefap:

That would completely ruin the scene. Luke stands over a grave. His daughter (???) holds out his father's sword. We last saw him throw away his sword. He has fled the world after watching his Jedi slaughtered in their temple. Will he take up the cursed blade that cut down the Jedi of old, in their time? There's so much Rey doesn't understand about this moment. Will he teach her? Is this a troll? Did they actually say that?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i think at first i was kind of annoyed with kylo ren but the more i think about it, the more i understand him. like, when your grandfather is the biggest villain in cinematic history, it's hard not to want to be that cool. darth vader is one of the most iconic figures in movies, and even though he's a villain we all kind of like him don't we? he has that presence in the original movies. i'm darth vader. you all know me. every single one of you. it's almost like collective unconscious poo poo at this point. we all wish we were that cool. kylo ren is that pop culture wish to be as cool as darth vader. but he's not, and he never will be, because it's not possible to be that cool. but he puts on a masks even though he doesn't need it and waves around his scary saber and when things don't go his way he has a temper tantrum, but when things didn't go vader's way he just stared off into the stars and looked cool as heck.

Actually, he's exactly as cool as Darth Vader, who was a superpowered whiny teenager/young adult with emotional issues. And he's not aware of how like his grandfather he really is. He thinks Anakin walked the path of darkness intentionally, when Anakin actually gave in to his rage and despair and wound up crippled and beholden to a man he respected and loathed in equal measure. Kylo is trying to be cool and failing because he is so successfully emulating Vader, who was pathetic for all his strength. The mask is great because Vader wore it because he was disfigured and crippled. He didn't want it. The mask Kylo puts on is a perfect symbol for how completely he's misunderstood Anakin while successfully emulating him. And that's even cooler.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 21, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Carrier posted:

Although I liked Fin, I thought it was slightly ridiculous that a "trained from birth" stormtrooper showed no signs of indoctrination or even military discipline from the moment he switched sides. Like, I get that it makes the plot work, but I find it pretty hard to believe that he was a completely unnoticed standard brainwashed stormtrooper (at least in the eyes of his superiors) for years and easily could have passed for a random dude pulled off the street immediately afterwards.
I also find it hilarious that they went to the effort of going to show, via Fin, that not all stormtroopers are pure evil and then spent the rest of the movie blowing them up with reckless abandon.

Come at me.

It's because Fin has the power of super friendship. I'm not even kidding. Most Star Wars characters' super powers are actually normal powers. Vader has super fear and it makes him so super angry that he super destroys all of his relationships. Yoda has super wisdom that lets him super move events that are larger than himself. Obi-Wan has super loyalty that makes him super good at fighting but also super blind. Darth Sidious is super sneaky. Luke super believes in himself and his friends. Kylo has super insecurity that makes him super angry like his idol. Rey I'm not sure about yet. She seems to super believe in the legends about the Jedi and Star Wars. She lives in the ruins of the OT, literally.

Star Wars is just a movie and the force is just a metaphor after all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

That scene where the heroes signal Poe and the X-wings to come in for the attack.. what, they were just chilling in lightspeed mode until they got the thumbs up? I dont know dude.

This is such a dumb nitpick. They were waiting somewhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i get what you're saying and that makes sense but gently caress anakin

Right, he's a bad guy. He's the bad guy. You're right that Kylo Ren is cooler with the mask on. Vader couldn't take off the mask, but it was still a mask.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like that technology has clearly advanced from the prequels, through the originals, and now in the sequel trilogy it's even more advanced.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

You were the target audience of all the political jibber jabber of the prequels, weren't you. Trade negotiations and blockades! Vote of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership! THIS IS HOW DEMOCRACY DIES, WITH THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE!

Yeah didn't you hate the conference room scene in A New Hope where they talked about the Senate and old religions? It's far less critical to the plot than Palpatine's rise to the top spot or the suspension of democracy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rurea posted:

Also wouldn't the gravity in the solar system get completely hosed up by removing it's sun?

Yes, but we don't know that anyone would care about that system.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I think their exact line was that they drained the star of all its energy, which technically means they don't need to do anything else actually. If you remove the outward pressure on a star's mass from solar energy and fusion then it will collapse in on itself until it creates a black hole. Probably will take out any inhabited planets just fine. This is the fate of stars that don't have enough energy to go nova. :spergin:

OTOH, Star Wars.

They're clearly draining the star of its mass and squozing it into a space smaller than Earth, and that's crazy and unbelievable, but then so is the idea of a MIRVed hyperspace doom laser. Like the construction of the Death Star, this is a scope beyond all comprehension anyway. Even the characters who inhabited that fantastic world couldn't believe the Death Star when they saw it. Starkiller Base is really no less implausible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did they finally identify the Falcon as a YT-1300 on screen? Since there's one in Attack of the Clones, Rey is correct and that model of starship has been kicking around for at least 50 years now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PT6A posted:

You forgot midichlorians, which are actually a part of the PT that needs to be completely eliminated from canon because it's just that lovely. Everything else was a decent idea poorly executed, but midichlorians are just an abomination. It took The Force from something unique and mystical and reduced it to something quantifiable and joyless.

Also, Yoda training literally all the Jedi when they were little kids... that's not okay at all. Yoda is wise and awesome, not some elementary school teacher.

Lol okay.

Ammanas posted:

Shouldn't there be a general moratorium on using anything from the prequels as evidence or story-justification? Ya something happened in the PT hey the PT is loving reviled if you saw it over the age of 12

Lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jesus star wars fan really do hate star wars. Even a nigh-remake of the original gets rabid criticism. Watch some fans demand more than half of the film franchise expunged.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nice, the "Great Scourge of Malachor" in the blurb about Kylo's lightsaber is Revan. Nice little acknowledgment of the mask.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not really any dumber than the Thach Weave of Pugachev's Cobra. So many little inside jokes on those pages.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

:aaa: That Sullustan X-Wing pilot was/is loving Nien Goddamn Numb!

Probably got himself busted down to lieutenant so he could go on the mission... by finally kissing his forbidden love, General Calrissian. :allears:

I'm waiting for the novelization.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Actually, Rey's clothes are not dyed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CalmDownMate posted:

I don't have problems with Fin or Rey I have problems with literally everything else. Strange how that goes.

I'm not surprised.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Jedi weren't the villains, they were just bad. There's a difference.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

On rewatch of Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan and Yoda are both not only wrong about everything but also incredibly petty. Oh our last hope went out when we said he wasn't ready? Better not pick up the force phone when he calls after surviving the harrowing ordeal we inflicted on him by obfuscating the truth in the hope he'd fix our mistakes.

Obi-Wan is dead tho so he's doing a pretty good job considering. Like don't complain if he's not always the most prompt or accurate mentor, he is doing his best okay? He literally came back from the dead to help out what more do you want?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

The idea of conscious, sentient beings living inside you is also just kinda icky. Are they watching me in my..........private moments....?

How is babby formed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

The force is no longer subtle, but forthright.

Gee WHY WOULD THAT BE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cacator posted:

I thought the fights were pretty refreshing compared to the spinny acrobatics in the prequels.

Each series had its fights based on a different form of martial arts. A lot of hard work went into the fight choreography and it is all intentional.

• Locked thread