Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Julia's not especially relevant to this. For one, she was "supposed" to have her memory erased and know nothing of magic. For two, we know that she was purposely thrown aside and thrown into a desperate situation because Jane hoped it would speed up her learning and change the battle with the Beast.

Since Jane Chatwin isn't personally loving with every student in Brakebills, and since Marina's backstory establishes that if you're at Brakebills long enough they don't erase your memory of magic because it isn't practical, then it stands to reason that they have some kind of simple approach to what you do when your school accidently traumatizes someone and they want to get out.

The way they just totally ignore all the people doing magic without going through any formal education, and don't seem to be planning to do anything about Reynard (or any other magical problems that exist in the outside world) suggests that Brakebills and wizards in general just don't really give a poo poo about anyone but themselves though.

Even giving Quentin and whatsername those jobs seems more like a way to put them out of the way rather than actually helping them. Julia's situation isn't unusual, except that she should actually have passed the entrance exam. Someone who genuinely failed and then somehow remembered magic exists would be in the exact same position she was and no one would do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This episode makes me wish the entire show, right from the start, had just been "arseholes stumble into not-Narnia and get made its kings and queens" because that's a fantastic premise and instantly made me not give a poo poo about anything else that happened in this episode. I was annoyed every time it cut away to Quentin or Julia. gently caress those guys, you've finally figured out what this show should be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The curse didn't seem to be any kind of confirmed knowledge. I got the impression the dumb rules of non-Narnia just say only Earth people can be royalty and they hadn't had any regular visitors since the Beast took over.

I thought the same, except that there had been kings and queens in the meantime who'd just kept killing each other because of the curse and the Fillorians just thought they kept only getting paranoid arseholes showing up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When they went back in time the last time, how did the wizard-cop end up in the wrong place?

PS. I loved that the weapon stash included a bat'leth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Niffin-Alice is definitely giving Harvey / Head-Scorpius a run for best mentally-projected character in a show on a science fiction network.

She might get there eventually, given time, but Harvey has a huge head start on her.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

Someone described the setting to me as, "the Harry Potter kids are in college. And they gently caress." A+ for accuracy.
Off by one letter: The Harry Potter kids are in college. And they suck.

They are the worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Na'at posted:

i love how one dude on this page got a probation for even implying that the situation leading to Julia's rape was her fault but these two can say that a woman's Purity is of more value than her life and it's totes cool.
I don't think either of them said that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Better musical episode than The Flash.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bull3964 posted:

One thing I didn't know if I missed our not, was Margot forbidden from saying what deal she struck?

Seems to me she should have said right out that the only way to refill the wellspring was to give up the baby.
She should have, but it's pretty understandable that she's reluctant to do so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's a real pity season one sucked so much. I'd really like to recommend this show to people, but then I remember season one and I just can't.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So, your shade is a piece of your soul, I guess? And is Julia now going to have mostly her own soul but partly Alice's? Or is she staying shade-free and they're going to try to put Alice's shade into her niffin?

TheKeeper posted:

The Magicians: loving Millennials
That line was dumb. What stereotypical "millennial" thing were they doing?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its the same realm of "You've heard of Swayze?" or "Foo-Fighters, why are you laughing?" This show loves making magical beings make references that make no sense outside of our culture.
Except that those two were funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fantastic episode. I really wish the first season didn't exist so I could just recommend this show to people, because it always has to come with the disclaimer of "the first season's poo poo, but you can probably skip it if you read the plot summaries on Wikipedia I guess."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

the show's plot dense enough that you'd need the time to get attached to the cast before all the poo poo goes down early on.
That's why I don't recommend it at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I meant in Season Two -- Alice and Marina dying wouldn't have the same impact without the first season, nor the Julia stuff at the end

Yeah, I meant that's why I don't recommend the show at all. You kind of need the first season, but it's bad and I can't recommend it. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Um, is there some meme that I'm missing?

Roger Cross is in a lot of TV shows, particularly sci-fi and fantasy shows.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

This was a pretty weak episode overall. I'm glad the lamprey storyline is over, time to get Alice back with the gang. I need everybody on that drat boat.

I thought it was pretty good. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lupus Rufus posted:

they definitely existed
They have to exist because otherwise Quentin couldn't have given the key to Jane and arranged for the letter to reach Margo so she could go get the key back from Jane's body.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 8, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did you miss the part where Quentin straight up marries a woman and has a kid and poo poo? Sure they banged in their alternate life but I don't really think they're going to end up together.
They both married women and had children - before they lived together as a couple for decades. Did you miss the bit where Quentin's wife died?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stank posted:

My only complaint about this episode is that it was billed as a musical episode for the past month on instagram and then there were only 3 songs.
I think not knowing that probably helped my enjoyment of it. If I'd been expecting a musical episode I'd have been incredibly disappointed, but since I had no expectations I couldn't be.

Skippy McPants posted:

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.
The first season is awful, but you probably still need to watch it to enjoy the rest because it sets up so much about characters that the stuff they do later probably wouldn't make sense if you didn't already have a good sense of who they are and what they've been through.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mortanis posted:

A lot of it was in terms of missteps compared to the book
I've never read the books, and season 1 was really bad. Like, Shannara Chronicles bad. Two shows that I stuck with just because I was watching them with my sister and neither of us disliked them enough to stop. The Magicians is actually really good now, but based on season one I assumed it would be cancelled and forgotten and only ever brought up by fans of the books in a "hey remember that lovely TV adaptation they made?" kind of way.

XboxPants posted:

That's how I had been picturing it, too, but this episode makes me think that it's much worse than that. Some people die? On a cosmic scale, that's a blip, even if the beast killed every human on the planet, which he certainly didn't seem to have any interest in. Hey, natural disasters happen, evil destructive gods exist. The universe would keep going without us.
It doesn't have to be a world-ending disaster for it to be bad enough for Jane to want to change it. She died, a whole lot of other people she knew died, a place she cared about was conquered by a psychopath. The stakes were never "the universe will end" it was always "this guy is going to murder us and we'd rather he didn't".

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rewatched s1e1 cause you guys were discussing it earlier and wow why was Quentin such a dick to Julia?
Because Quentin's a loving arsehole. Haven't you been paying attention? Her not getting in made him feel more special, and that's exactly what he wanted. He was ready to believe that Julia was just jealous of him because he wanted her to be jealous of him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

You can't throw people in the deep end of madness.
You can, it'll just put some people off the show. I would argue though that it wouldn't put off more people than season one of this show did anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

We don't know what the siphon is, correct?

I'm guessing the Library wants it hooked up to the magic pipes to get an unlimited flow of magic power for all time to ensure that they never lose magic again.
It seemed like it would divert all (human) magic to them to distribute as they saw fit. They could keep it all or hand it out to those they deemed trustworthy or useful.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aexo posted:

Is "the tower at the end of the world" or whatever a nod to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

Am I just making connections that aren't there and reading too deeply into things?
I don't think Douglas Adams is the only person to ever come up with the idea of a thing at the end of the world/universe before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mastajake posted:

Pretty lame they set up the “you’ll regret this deal” thing and then she got away with her ridiculous scheme anyway.
I assumed that was going to be a long-term thing. Like, it wasn't a trick so much as a bad deal and the people who made it were too short-sighted to realise just how bad it was, but eventually they're going to find out and regret it.

Woden posted:

What was the deal with the key paradox? It seemed like a set up where Q and crew would be bringing the second set to unchain the dude in prison but it went nowhere.
Well, they only used the keys once. After they read the book Quentin made the deal that got them let into the castle without using the keys. There was also the fact that the keys were destroyed and then they got new keys to use, so that was kind of like what happened in the book anyway.

That doesn't seem like enough though, so maybe something more will come of it later? :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm not crazy about the Tesla thing and bringing in versions of characters from alternate timelines... the idea of the alternate timelines itself doesn't bug me as it fits with the story they've set up from S1, but when they use it to bring characters back it feels cheap, like there are really no stakes. Penny owns but Penny-23 has cast a real pall over the latter part of the season for me.
They've made it pretty clear that he's essentially a different person though. Like, they haven't brought Penny back, they've just got this new guy who's a bit like him. It's not like Arrow/Flash/LoT's magic herbs and lazarus pits and time travel shenanigans.

STAC Goat posted:

It's probably more a testament to US gun culture and Hollywood violence but I've always thought in fantasy stuff that someone should just Rambo up with conventional weapons just in case. As long as it doesn't directly impede on you why not? If nothing else a big rear end shotgun should slow some bad guys down. Like I vaguely recall Buffy TVS having the day saved with a gun once and then never addressing it again.
Wesley used guns for a while in Angel because of the higher proportion of demons rather than vampires. Demons were mostly vulnerable to all the same things humans are, so a gun worked fine. Buffy's vampires though aren't really worried by guns at all. They don't feel pain like humans do, they're super fast, and they're not really slowed down by injuries. Even a shotgun at close range is more likely to piss them off than kill them.

It would have made sense for the bad guys to have used guns sometimes, but most of the ones who specifically wanted to kill Buffy (rather than just preferring to avoid her attention entirely) had various reasons for not just shooting Buffy. Like, Spike specifically wanted to kill her in hand-to-hand combat, Angel wanted to torture her rather than kill her, a bunch of them were just really old and out of touch with the modern world. But even so, guns did show up quite a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe it’s more a complaint on how fantasy creatures work but I just don’t buy the “a shotgun to the face doesn’t hurt vampires because they don’t feel pain” thing because whether they do or don’t feel pain is inconsequential when the shotgun will literally remove half of their head and put holes into the rest of it. Like supposedly lobsters don’t feel pain yet I’m pretty sure chopping off it’s tail with a hatchet is going to kill it, you know?

Lobsters aren't held together by magic and the soul of a demon. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xun posted:

one of the rare many shows that gets better when they don't follow the books

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously gently caress season 2. There are major plot holes setup in the first episode you could sail an aircraft carrier towing a larger aircraft carrier through.

So, just like season one then?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Given how much the show has deviated from the books, I wouldn't assume they have a planned end. It's not like they're trying to finish a pre-written story.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Can't believe no one's mentioned how fantastic Margo was in this episode.

mycomancy posted:

Like, are you even watching the screen when you turn this show on? The first two goddamned episodes were about their witness protection personas!

I swear to gently caress, how do goons function?
Oh no, someone is enjoying a thing in a way that I personally do not enjoy it. This is the worst thing that has ever happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Season one is bad. It improves dramatically after that. Unfortunately you kind of have to watch season one to know what's happening and who everyone is, but it's worth it for how good the show does get later on.