Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

Its surprising how many of the cast have a decent voice... a nice mix that makes even those that aren't so stellar even more charming. Is it weird I want Margo to be my best friend? I love her character.

The moment it was revealed that Margo had the common sense to bring a gun to fairyland is the moment I fell in love with her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Must be pretty easy to stage a coup in Fillory. All you have to is to tell someone a prophecy saying that the highking must be dethroned and they won't even ask why.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 21, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Gonna be hard to top the last one.

So who's Alice gonna end up with since everyone is pairing off?

Her evil twin.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Margo overthrows an oppressive patriarchal society while the rest of the group accomplish exactly nothing:allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NowonSA posted:

Margo's story in this latest episode suited her, but I kind of wish it wasn't so explicitly about patriarchy holding women down. I think a subversion like "no, seriously these men are all that can protect us." would have been worse, so I guess I'd rather they come across as more bumbling dumb desert nomads who don't understand how the red spirits worked than the evil men keeping women in their place.
The people who writes this show obviously have opinions about things like patriarchy and I think it's cool to have a show that talks about those opinions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly thought that Quentin was really bland and boring, so I'm not too sad to see him go.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I started a series rewatch. It's become very clear to me that I hated Quentin so much because now, four years in I can see how much I really identify with him. It's a little sobering really.

Everyone was unlikable in the first season.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Elliot and Julia weren't.

Julia decided to mess with the head of a friend she knew had a history of mental problems. That's a really lovely thing to do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Didn't make her unlikable. Everyone was doing lovely things to people, Q abandoned her.

Almost lobotomizing someone because they got into magic school instead you seems a bit extreme.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Q's history as the show portrays it hits home on a lot of stuff I've tried to repress. I've not suffered from long term depression but the number of times I've been depressed and despaired in my life in incalculable. I'm not stranger to the 72 hour psyche hold either. Growing up I was always told I was special, that I was going to be great, do great things. And now, 4 decades in, my life is exceptionally unimpressive. I have a good life with a wonderful partner but had I not met her 10 years ago I doubt I'd have been able to keep my head above it all this time.

Depression doesn't excuse how he portrayed Penny in his mind:colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I identify with Q because I, too, was a whiny entitled 20 something manchild who gets way more credit than he should for at least trying to be better because the bar for middle class white American males is so comically low.

Both Q and Julia are people who think that they're the super special chosen ones. To Q's credit he doesn't, unlike Julia, immediately gets radicalized and joins a criminal organisation the moment he learns that he isn't.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kinda disappointed that the show let a man chose to take away a woman superpowers for selfish reasons and he's still portrayed as likable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I guess it makes sense for the Binder to ask Penny because the Binder was portrayed as a sexist jerk. But Penny should've realized how hosed up his decision was on his own.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

He did? He said that during that scene.

If he had understood it he wouldn't have decided to make her mortal so he could gently caress her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Julia forgave him... maybe you guys should.

It was lovely writing. Especially for a show that has proven to be really good about these issues.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

v That Penny recently came from another timeline. Literally all of the friendgroup know Julia better than he does

Todd knows her better than he does.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I also liked that the most personal thing Fogg had after Q was a form he filled out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Can you imagine having your fate decided by Todd though? He’d Todd it up!

Julia would've woken up with one extra arm. In the best case possible scenario.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

For some reason I thought last season’s ending was the series ending. Was this ever the case or am I just remembering wrong?

That ending was pretty much all about setting up the next season.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Never build a dungeon you can't get out of.

And this season (and honestly the last one too) makes me wish that Margo and her plotlines was the centerpiece of this show, The rest of the characters just aren't that interesting compared to her.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Now they compete to rule Fillory.

I would argue that it's not really a competition.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Fen and Margo should get married and rule together.

Margo shouldn't settle for Fen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It's a marriage for political power!

It isn't when only part has any political power.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Fenn has KNIVES.

Margo has guns.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cailleask posted:

100% gotta be the dark king! Also Robin Hood from Once Upon A Time, so that was a nice surprise.

And also one of the kids singing every sperm is sacred in Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.

Anne Whateley posted:

"I dOn'T oWn JoSh'S pEnIs" give me a loving break it's fine to have monogamous relationships

This is a really weird thing to be offended by.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not offended I just think it's dumb. It was never an open relationship before, and "he cheated and that's totes cool" is not exactly a good way to open it.

She had sex with the ice axes guy a couple of episodes later, it was never an exclusive relationship. And it fits both the character and her state of mind to say what she said.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So, I'm pretty sure the Takers ara a false flag thing intended to make the dark king look good.
And Penny 23 has inherited original Penny's bad luck it seems.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I think the important thing to remember is that Margo did not give handjobs to Todd. That was not a thing that happened over several timeloops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I would love a compilation of all the times Penny is just baffled by the stupid poo poo the rest of the cast says. It would be like three hours long.

Penny "I want to control what my girlfriend do" 23 doesn't get to be baffled by something saying stupid poo poo.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Hey, Penny 40 had plenty of it too. :v:

Penny is a constant variable, he sucks in every timeline.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fauxshiz posted:

Hell Penny is a Penny I wouldn't say sucks.

Dead Penny has given into this "woker than thou" attitude which is pretty annoying.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I still stand by the opinion that Quentin was a garbage friend and lovely person for ignoring her and telling her she wasn't good enough.

Considering that Julia almost lobotomized him, I'd say that they're even.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

It never should have got there. But again, credit to the show and Quentin that he eventually figured that out and took his part of the responsibility. Its a testament to his character and the show that by the time he died I not only didn't hate him but actually felt bad.

Julia made him think he was mentally ill again and forced him to relive a traumatic experience, but then again Quentin was too busy with magic school to hang with her so I guess he had it coming.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I never said he had it coming, nor did I deny that it was a terrible thing to do. I said Quentin took his part in the responsibility, because obviously Julia had a part in it too.

But Quentin ignored his best friend who had helped him through his own troubles when he knew she was going through a terrible thing and was in a low place herself and berated her that she's not special and was just jealous of him. Quentin was a loving prick.

Then Julia was a loving prick and escalated poo poo. Dual responsibility.

Julia violated Quentin, Quentin ignored Julia. Those two things are not comparable at all. There is no dual responsibility here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

If I remember correctly, Marina wasn't quite honest with Julia about what exactly she was doing with Quentin.

She knew she was going to manipulate Q's mind to make him believe his mental problems had returned.

STAC Goat posted:

But before any of that happened we watched like half a season of Quentin being a self absorbed, dismissive, petty dick and that's why I didn't like him.
It was more or less implied that that was how Julia had been towards Quentin before magic school.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Speaking of faeries, why are they cool with the wellspring being poo poo? They have their own source of power?

Persons and creatures that are inherently magical doesn't need the wellspring.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

You would have hoped that after the whole thing with Josh two years ago (or however long it was in show time) that they would have learned their lesson in disregarding the feelings of other members of their group.

Or maybe Fen needs to grow the gently caress up instead of being a perpetual twelve year old.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This is how people get stabbed.

For someone who's whole thing is "likes knives" she seems surprisingly bad at using them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

And she tried to kill Fen twice.

She actually successfully killed everyone in the main cast. Fen isn't special in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how Ted is Marina's Todd.