Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well this was garbage.

And you don't hire Olivia Tayloy Dudley and not show off her goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Meh. It's no Farscape or Lexx. It's OK, but I'm not particularly invested in any of the characters or the story at this stage.

That was pretty much what I said to a friend who keeps touting it as the best SF show ever. Plus you know, BSG, B5, DS9.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I never expected to hear a Taylor Swift song in this show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Botnit posted:

You're literally looking for reasoning from a hack writer who got busted spamming Amazon with fake names to give his books positive reviews.

Hahaha what? This sounds amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Tasmania is part of Australia.

They don't teach geography at magic douche school.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"You can't possibly want to be a dick more than you want to live."

This show may be hot garbage but some of the writing is excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

coyo7e posted:

The novels are like this as well. There are so many just stellar lines however, they're interspersed with the occasionally terribad jokes straight off fark.com etc. I hope they start making the dorky characters start dropping awkward lolcat jokes or something here and there.

but good lord does Alice have an impressive :sonia: which the cameras seem to focus on at every chance

Nice try but there's no way I'm reading the garbage that this garbage is based on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This episode had a lot of awkward sex.

Penny continues to be the only reason to watch this show aside from the female scenery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well poo poo. The Quentin & Alice stuff was one of the few things I was still enjoying on this show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Penny is such a dick that he warps all the way around to being likable as poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

coyo7e posted:

The interesting thing for me was that in the source text, Penny and Quentin's fight is basically pretty even. Quentin goes all rageface and headbutts Penny and busts his nose, and the faculty all go on this stupid "well you are to blame as much as he is, otherwise why would you have headbutted him?" Even though Q completely blacked out most of the fight, *both* of them ended up beaten to poo poo in the infirmary and Q is the only one who actually comes out of it a little more threatening than before the fight, ie "[spoiler]If you get me kicked out of Brakebills, Penny, I will loving kill you." He also reiterates that point at least once more - that he will straight murder a fool who costs him that much. Penny is just drug-addled and/or nuts.

This show has gotten quite enjoyable but everything you guys keep posting from the books makes them sound like absolute horseshit that I'd have been embarrassed to read when I was 13, let alone as an adult.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chiming in to agree, pretty great finale. Good thing they already got picked up for a second season or I'd be irritated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From everything posted about the source material previously the books sound like Grade A garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't know, I had a lot of fun with the books.

Let's see what I had to say about this back in April

Rhyno posted:

This show has gotten quite enjoyable but everything you guys keep posting from the books makes them sound like absolute horseshit that I'd have been embarrassed to read when I was 13, let alone as an adult.

Yeah. I still feel the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Counter-Counterpoint, you'll never convince me to read your lovely tween magic novels now shut up i'm trying to stare at OTD's tits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

asiperi posted:

Speaking of actor chat, I did feel like they did a good job casting the leads, particularly Quentin. He pretty much nails the unlikable aspects of the character, but manages to not make me hate watching him.

Penny is the best cast actor on the show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm Facebook friends with a guy from Five Second Films and he posts about how funny it is that they're keeping her almost totally covered in every episode. Meanwhile every other role shes had has showcased her goods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's not but I have met him and he's also awesome in person. He bought me a beer!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quentin is the only one not super pretty on this show. As a totally straight dude even I can admit that Penny is loving handsome as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

He's maybe the least attractive of the 3 lead guys, but he's still extremely attractive.

I think he's been such a little douche thus far that it colors my opinion of him. Maybe if he got a haircut?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder what Margollum is getting up to all by herself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's on the other side?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Remember when a bunch of you used to rag on this show??

This show is still garbage but it is entertaining as gently caress and full of really pretty people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a fantastic way to look at Q and I hadn't really thought if him in that light.

Too busy staring at Alice I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

We all are. She is gifted in more than one way.

Good lord yes. I've been a fan of hers for a long time now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

I too like her titties.

Well there's that but she's also loving hilarious. She's been in a couple hundred 5 Second Films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Margot is amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was Barry Allen's mom performing the abortion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

It was weird how Quentin's coworker was all like "Hey, I saw you use magic, let's be friends!" and then suddenly "You used magic, I hate you forever!" Like, they were talking about how magic causes bigger problems than it solves, but the fact that he was still using little spells for everyday things was the exact reason she started talking to him in the first place.

The Brakebills Prof said he sent Quentin there. It's entirely possible they have an relationship where they place students in that company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, but how does that relate to what I was talking about?

I thought you meant it was weird that his coworker was aware of magic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I usually watch this show to oogle Olivia Taylor Dudley but man, Stella Maeve is really looking fine as gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Better musical episode than The Flash.

For serious.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Would it be weird if I hosed Josh?"

"I hope it would be weird."

I loving love Margo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

anothergod posted:

I think the first takeaway is that Q is terrible. The second takeaway is that Alice is also terrible.

Even Martin Chatwin is more likeable. Reyard might even be more likeable.

Thank god we have Elliot, Margot and Penny to balance things out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Julia's become a great character this season. Shadeless Julia is even better.

There's talking trees here???

Well, there used to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe Evil Deaf Lady will destroy the library and free Penny of his obligation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I trufied you"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The 'f' in gently caress is dropped. Nothing else has been censored.

Not always, they're pretty inconsistent on bleeping the fucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

They did not. They also don't censor oval office.

And good thing oo because nobody says that word like Margot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Was that Julia's shade there at the end of her scene?

Also i love the High King. Josh rules.