Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Grimwall posted:

About casting, the standout was Elliot for me. When I saw him just lazily sunning himself on the brakebills entrance while waiting for Q, that sold the actor for me.

Yeah the way he said Quintin's name was just perfect. The thing that gets me is in the books a huge part of the magic is that most anyone can do magic it's just insanely hard. Which is why Quintin and everyone else at breakebills is a 4+ GPA having, grade skipping, over achiever. Hell Elliot even says "You'll be amongst your peers for the first time in your life." It also completely skipped some scenes like students getting insane amounts of homework or practicing hand positions until dark. I'm not asking for 9 hours of classroom scenes but just something other than kids liquid dancing sans glowsticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

The time issue is still coming up as well. How come the protagonist's friend now has all those stars on her arm? Did she jump straight to the head of the class at witch school? I actually hadn't noticed the stars until the final scene and I thought the head witch had just given them to her, which made no sense, but I watched it again and actually she was crossing them out? And then she teleported her... somewhere? And honestly, I don't care about her either so this all feels really low stakes.

In the books they talk about how Quentin and Julia are super studious gifted types so I'm assuming that's the implication. Most Brakebills magicians are since it's supposed to be incredibly difficult to learn even basic spells.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Handies in the gas station bathroom don't count.

Tiggum posted:

Still not clear on what is the actual difference between real magicians and hedge witches. And what is Julia trying to do? Like, cast more powerful spells? But not to do anything in particular, just because she's, like, addicted to magic or something? But no one else seems to be.

The addiction thing is more like an MMO addiction than a drug addiction. She spells it out when she says that once you know that magic is real nothing else matters. And the main difference between hedgewitches and magicians is like getting a scientific education from Cal-Tech vs trading books from a 50 year old editions of the Encyclopedia Britannica with other hobbyists.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
dipster

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

shadok posted:

If "Eliza" is really dead then the entire point of the first book just got flushed down the crapper.

Or they could be going with her still resetting time and all that but instead of her smashing the watch because only a couple people died she can't do it because she's the dead one

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
People here consider Quentin mediocre or terrible because they identify with him.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mouse Dresser posted:

And I'm glad we didn't see that scene with Julia.

yet...

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mouse Dresser posted:

Agreed. I also wish that everyone at Brakebills wasn't so loving obsessed with Fillory. It's hard to take the "Quentin's a loving nerd!" thing seriously when every character was super into Fillory as a kid.

If you get to grad school and you're still super obsessed with Narnia folks are gonna call you a dork even if they enjoyed the same books as children.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong but Quentin is just a super powered wizard with unlimited potential because midichlorians.

You're bad at watching tv.

In the episode with the magic card explosion the Dean literally says that people under stress often do exactly that. Like this isn't a Quentin specific thing it's a part of the world. Elliot kills the possessed guy because of emotional whatever's with battle magic he straight doesn't know.

And the only reason why Quentin is "chosen" is because like it was again literally said in the episode he's just obsessed with fillory and that is why every time loop he always ends up there.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Episode 5: the Filory thing was pretty interesting. Also Marina seems really super uber powerful. Why isn't the dean doing anything about this again? Because he's not the magical police? Is there a magical police? It seems really irresponsible to teach these people how to control minds and summon fireballs and then just letting them go off to do whatever the gently caress they want to do without any regards to what they might do. You could say schools in real life kind of do the same, but at least there's the whole society of police, regulations, etc., going on. If I choose go to school as a computer scientist and decide to use that to hack the government then there's the whole FBI/CIA/NSA whatever agencies who are going to come down hard on me. If I go to school to learn how to conjure fireballs and decide to blow up banks then who's going to stop me in that world?

There are no magic police because why would you need them? Oh you're a fully trained magician and you want some money; make some. Most magicians just don't give a poo poo about the kinds of things that lead regular people to commit crimes. There also aren't really a nations worth of magicians so there isn't a magic police department that answers to the magic mayor who wants to get magic reelected.

Basically if you wanna do something with magic you're free to do it but you also have to remember that there are other magicians out there who may not want you exposing magic or doing whatever you're doing and there's no magic cops or government or anything stopping them from killing you.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sure, but that doesn't explain the scorpion thing though.

The scorpion was specifically a Demon. Also known as a monster literally from hell. So inviting a magician in to your school is something students are capable of doing I'm sure but demons are blocked as a rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Na'at
May 5, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Only if you're someone who values life above all else.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, anyone who would make that argument has some serious blinders on, at best.

i love how one dude on this page got a probation for even implying that the situation leading to Julia's rape was her fault but these two can say that a woman's Purity is of more value than her life and it's totes cool.

Xealot posted:

Someone described the setting to me as, "the Harry Potter kids are in college. And they gently caress." A+ for accuracy.

I don't know that this show is *good* particularly. It's definitely entertaining. I appreciate the degree to which literally every problem in the story is their own fault. Every hosed up situation is because of some deeply goddamn stupid choice the characters made. And every solution creates an even more hosed up problem. I can only assume they defeat Reynard by resurrecting The Beast in the form of a psychic dinosaur.

coyo7e posted:

I hope it doesn't take you much time to try and come off as edgy because I hate to break it to you - but you're wasting it

coyo7e it's cute that you find the most basic premise of samsara edgy. Does this make Gautama Buddha the Marilyn Manson of deities?