Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

GORDON posted:

Set the DVR a couple weeks ago, and somehow it didn't record S03E01. Went to On-Demand, and downloaded it from there to the DVR, to watch later. I literally saw the DL happening. The next day I go into the DVR List, and it isn't there.

I think someone is Magicianing my DVR so I can't watch it. Goddam dark magicians.

I had issues with the season premiere last year as well. I just couldn't watch it on my DVR. It would randomly skipped 30 seconds. It might be an issue with SyFy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Is there something wrong with the Syfy feed? There is some issue with the colorization, with green tinted bars going across the screen. Or is it my Sling TV?

Edit: I love that Josh is part of the main cast now. I never liked that he wasn't part of the gang from the start, like he was in the book.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Clever use of the small budget again. Rinky dink sailboat on the outside, luxurious cabin on a set in a soundstage below. Magic!

Edit: Frey wasn't a character in the books, right? Like, she isn't a repurposed character like Fen?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 18, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Roger Cross does not do auditions. Roger Cross does not have an agent. Roger Cross just shows up on the set of every Vancouver show, as it is expected. Roger Cross does not have a script. He just knows his lines because he is Roger Cross.

Wherever Roger Cross shows up, a production pops up around him. The director doesn’t scream ACTION. Roger Cross does.

Um, is there some meme that I'm missing?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What did the fairy queen take from the pirates after she killed them? I couldn't tell.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This was a pretty weak episode overall. I'm glad the lamprey storyline is over, time to get Alice back with the gang. I need everybody on that drat boat.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dienes posted:

It is repairing small items.

You're correct.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

Well, Penny, this is what happens when you're a dick to everyone.

Margot: I guess there was part of me that someday thought we were gonna bang.

Ghost Penny: Me too, girl. Me too.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I mean he hooks up with Elliot but he was wasted on magic booze or something so I'm not sure it was really an active choice or something he'd identify as. Then again its not really my place to say what Quentin is or isn't but I don't recall him ever actually suggesting he was into dudes outside of that night.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I seem to remember it being implied that Quentin is a little jealous that Eliot never hit on him more. I think Quentin is attracted to Eliot, but not so much that he would ever pursue him outside of a drunken threeway. I think he's probably like a 1 or a 2 on the Kinsey Scale. Certainly not a hard 3 or 4.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rocksicles posted:

Wait, there's a Gay scale?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But sexuality is a spectrum, and the Kinsey Scale says that people range from a 0 to 6. 0 being completely straight and 6 being completely gay. Studies have found that more people lie somewhere in the middle than you'd think, they just don't necessarily identify that way. While something like 75% of gay people are out, only like 20% of bi people are out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alhazred posted:

But Elliott is bi.

I think this is maybe why the Kinsey scale is a better descriptor of these characters. After all, neither of them identify as bi. The one time Quentin had sex with Eliot in the show, he was super drunk, and it was in a MMF threesome. Eliot, the same situation. And with his wife, it took him having sex utilizing his golem with another guy in another world in order to impregnate his wife.

I'd say Quentin is maybe a Kinsey 1, and Eliot is maybe a Kinsey 5.

But all of this is over-analysis of some fictional characters.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, that kiss happened. I'm going to move Quentin up the scale from a 1 to maybe a 2 or 3.

Edit: The peaches couldn't possibly be a reference to Call Me By Your Name, could they?

Oh poo poo. Quentin has a 5 year old with this woman? They really are spending a long time there.

Whaaaat is going on here? Quentin and Eliot as gay dads?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Prairie Bus posted:

I loved this episode, but I can’t help but wish that they had cut just before verbally confirming that Eliot and Q remembered their time together. The actors did a good job expressing they remembered, verbalizing it brought the moment down.

I disagree. I personally needed the confirmation that they remembered. I thought that line, "We had a family," was really sweet.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The incubus is a hedge fund manager. Love it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

geeves posted:

Teeth, in my vagina? It's more likely than you think.

I know this meme!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Oh, hey. Poppy's story about the island full of treasure where she got the key was in the book.

But this Poppy seems devious compared to the Poppy in the books.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Despite his depression monster, Quentin seems much more cool after spending 60 years in a parallel life boning Eliot. And that tender moment they had together at the start of the episode surprised me.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

zeal posted:

you didn't notice because her costume focused your eyes on her face in this show

Oh my god, I never made the connection, and you're so right. It's because she was fully clothed for the first time!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did you miss the part where Quentin straight up marries a woman and has a kid and poo poo? Sure they banged in their alternate life but I don't really think they're going to end up together.

I don't think they're going to end up with each other, but it's clear that they have a great deal of affection for each other after living that parallel life. The kiss they shared this week seemed completely natural and not even out of lust, but of just a deep caring for each other.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stank posted:

I would like a spin-off about Queliot exploring the universe and having gay sex and Penny popping in for group sex sometimes. Also it strikes me that Eliot is definitely the top but what do other people think?

Filmed by cockyboys.com

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

I figure Quentin and Elliott both probably would've said gently caress it and hosed off with that mosaic based on their characters, but it was still cool and I liked it.

I understand your point, but I think it just demonstrated how important magic is to them. They were willing to work their entire lives to restore it. And plus, where else were they going to go? If they returned to Earth on that timeline, it's likely that they would have arrived at the start of the 20th Century. Even their grandparents likely wouldn't have been born yet.

quote:

The transfer of magic from Julia to Alice is a little bit surprising but I guess we'll see if that even takes. They need to give OTD a decent new storyline.

I suspect the gods are going to be like, "Nope, not so fast," and transfer the power right back to Julia.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If we get a Season 4, maybe we can get a side episode of just Elliott and Quentin giving the mosaic a break and going off to do some other Fillory hijinks.

I think the show likes to play with how each character plays off each other. They really try to work out how each character would interact one on one, and once they do, they go with it. I think we're going to see a lot more of Quentin and Eliot one on one after practically all last season of Eliot only doing one on one with Margo.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The best show on television is onnnn!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gonz posted:

This show is unreasonably good.

Yeah, I'm still floored that it's as good as it is. I keep trying to recommend it to friends, but the few that I do manage to give it a try can't make it past the first few episodes. Which, I can't blame them, I wouldn't have kept on watching had I not already been a fan of the books.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never expected Margo to be awesome at first. She wasn't terrible, as a comic relief character. But now yeah, she's awesome as hell.

She developed as the show developed. She started as Eliot's bitchy best friend. And now she is probably the funniest character on the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I mean, sure it sucks that they were ghosting Josh BUT he isn't exactly actually one of their friends. He's just a guy they know.

I think it was more that he is one of the main characters in the books, and they've struggled with how to bring him into the main group since he was never part of it really in the show. So now that they Unity Key says that he's part of the gang, he'll probably be promoted to series regular next season.

Still can't believe he was Frasier's son on Frasier, appearing on pretty much every season.

cochise posted:

You know I'm not that big a fan of Under Pressure as covered by the cast of The Magicians.

I was into it, but mostly because I love the characters.

Josh Lyman posted:

"Remember how great that musical episode of Buffy was?" -The Magicians showrunners, probably

Maybe. But they've kind of positioned themselves in the show with pretty much being able to do whatever they want now. They also had the cast sing a song from Les Mis last season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

cjg posted:

I'm not sure I buy that kids that age would be familiar with Queen and Bowie.

This is an odd comment.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

So because a demon told them they needed to stick together they should trust Alice who again and again and again has stabbed them in the back to get what she wants?

That was Julia last season, and she's back in it all, despite having done nothing to redeem herself. I completely forgot until this week that I hated last season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Skippy McPants posted:

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.

Season is rough, stick with it.

I watched it because I loved the books and wanted to see the adaptation. It struggled with a small budget, and an uneven tone where it was trying to follow the plot of the books and not really succeeding all that well. As the season went on, there were small moments that really shined, and they began to focus on those.

By season 2, the show become a wonderful guilty pleasure, and I eagerly watched it.

Season 3 it's now probably the most fun, and funniest, show on television.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I just said "gently caress" really loud.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Also this show continues to be way better than it has any right to be.

At this point, I think it's maybe the best show currently airing. There are better shows, but they aren't on the air. I've thankfully been successful in convincing some friends to push past the rough season one, and they're now into it. But they're still not caught up, so I really can't talk about it with anyone.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What's going to be interesting is that now we have two Pennys and an alive Miranda.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Whalley posted:

Yeah I just rewatched season 1 and I don't know why I told people it starts rough; there's so many layers and it hits the ground right from the start.

Because the tone of the show in season one is very uneven, they had an extremely limited budget which really held back what they could do in terms of special effects in showing off magic and Fillory in general, and they clearly struggled with how to adapt the books to television.

I only watched it because I was already a fan of the books. I have friends who started watching it based on my recommendation, and many of them gave up just a few episodes in. I've had to encourage them to power through, because it does get actually good. Those who did power through are now excited about the show. Those who did not are now hesitant to listen to anymore of my recommendations based on those first several episodes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

They really beefed up Kady and Penny's parts as they are bit players at best in the novels.

Kady actually isn't even a character in the books. She is original for the show, they needed someone for Penny to playoff since he was antagonistic with the rest of the group at the start of the series. She is though somewhat of a combination of two other characters from the books, Amanda Orloff (Kady's full name is Kady Orloff-Diaz) who was killed by the beast in the classroom when Quentin first accidentally summons him and was also capable at battle magic, and Asmodeus who was Julia's friend when they accidentally summoned Reynard. But beyond those two elements, Kady is entirely made up by the writers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are there any allusions in the books as to where the keys lead and what monster they unlock? You can spoiler them I want to know.

In the book, magic hasn't been cut off yet. Magic is simply a loophole that was never intended, and the Old Gods are coming back to close that loophole. Fillory is that loophole, and the keys will unlock a door at the end of the world that will keep magic flowing. There is no monster in the book, so it seems that they are making it entirely up for the show, which makes sense as there are only 3 books and they're going to need more material. Book 3 is mostly about Quentin trying to bring Alice back to life (which we've already seen), and learning to accept responsibility for his own actions in his life.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mycomancy posted:

Oh great, so they can get really hosed up with whatever voidspawn Julia lets into the Everett-Wheeler Cosmos that hosts The Magicians.

The show has always been at its best when it has gone off book, so my body is ready for it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Argue posted:

What if it's (not a story spoiler, just a worldbuilding background detail from the books that's never expounded on) the ancient thing that the whales are keeping pinned down with their spell network?

I don't remember that plot point actually, but could be cool!

Probably the biggest difference between the books and the show is that Quentin is the main focus of the books while the show is more of an ensemble thing.

True! Certain characters that are part of the main ensemble in the show only make a couple appearances in books 2 and 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

geeves posted:

Julia becomes a (slight book spoiler) Dryad and if you saw the previews for next week, Julia creating a forest I think confirms the show is going to follow through with it. The show has pretty much hit the major plot points compared to the books, if even in a completely different way.

Which is funny, given the fact that last season she burned that forest of dryads. I suspect that is going to come back to haunt her.

I restarted season 1 last night because a friend has been marathoning the show and talking to me about it, and I forgot a lot of small details like cancer puppy. Season 1 uses a lot of pop music during party scenes, and they're all from the mid-2000s. Thought that was interesting. I wonder if the rights were cheaper because they were all a decade old, and they were extremely budget conscious?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My girlfriend is nearly through season one and texted me last night about how the author of the filling in season one was a pedophile and abused the chatwins.. I was like, what?? I had completely forgotten since once that reveal happens the show moves on so quickly to other things.

Yeah, the storytelling in season one was much more episodic, compared to the more serialized version of the show we have now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rhyno posted:

We need to talk about this some more because my Elliot mancrush is out of control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mfBt3mhtc

I basically watch this at least once a day.

And yeah, I think all of the guys on the show are incredibly attractive, Eliot especially, and none of my friends who watch the show agree. I don't get it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I also just rewatched season one to see if I could backup my claims that it was rough, and also because a friend was watching it and asking me questions about things that I didn't remember.

The first five or six episodes are legitimately terrible. Particularly Alice's niffen brother, the welters episode, and Julia putting a spell on Eliot to make him think he was in a mental hospital (except for the Taylor Swift song, which I think is possibly the origin for all the humor the show uses today).

But after that, the show starts to come together, and other than the very poor and sudden setup of Julia's entry into Free Trader Beowulf, it was pretty enjoyable.

Those first several episodes though, I can see why so many of my friends gave up on the show.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I rewatched s1e1 cause you guys were discussing it earlier and wow why was Quentin such a dick to Julia?

Because by that point he had been in school for a few months and he knew how dangerous magic could be, and how the hedge witches were bad news. Basically it'd be like learning that your best friend started getting into crack cocaine and developing nuclear weapons with the Crypts street gang, you'd also be like, "Dude, what. the. gently caress."

And, he was right. Julia was used by Marina to break into Brakebills, subsequently got herself cut off from the only halfway decent hedge witches, got Kady's mother killed, got everyone in Free Trader Beowulf killed except for herself and Kady, got raped and impregnated by a god, got Marina's cat mutilated and killed, and then got Marina's fingers eaten off her hand, and then also killed. Julia's path to magic is marked with many, many bodies and other horrors.

Basically exactly what Quentin warned her would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aexo posted:

I just want to say how much I loved watching Q and Elliot getting old together. That's been the best part of the show for me so far. Probably moreso because I love Elliot.

I hope now that the quest to restore magic is winding down, they start to deal with their memories of their parallel life together, and possible lingering feelings they might have for each other. What's really unique about their relationship is that it kind of throws out the old trope of the gay character falling for the straight character. Who knows who initiated their threesome back in season one, but it was Quentin who initiated the hookup this season. And in the book, there is a brief moment where Quentin walks in on Eliot with another male student at Brakebills, and he feels jealous that Eliot never gave him that kind of attention.