Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

I just bought and consumed some sardines. It was some Portuguese brand I guess, porthos sardines in tomato sauce/oil. Ive never eaten a 'dine before and it was a pretty good meal, tastes kinda like canned tuna but not dry as poo poo. I ate it on toast with lawry's seasoned salt and sriracha. Saw some bones but didn't notice them at all while chewing. I can feel the cold dick sucking snakes repairing my arteries so that's good.

Dines alone ain't gonna fix your queered up internals, boy. You gotta exercise or get one physical type job in addition to eatin' dines to fix your all cabbage body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

cram me sideways posted:

i'm cruising amazon for other dine varieties and jesus christ this is not a gustatory hobby for poors

you can get a pack of Seasons at Costco for roughly a dollar a can. It is a fine thing for poors like us. there are fantastically expensive variants of the dine out there, as there are with virtually everything else. you can probably find someone selling dirt on amazon for, like, 300$ an ounce.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Bardeh posted:

What in the gently caress have they done to that fish :chloe:

looks smoked/dried. pr'lly still pretty good.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh no my stinking dad fish is no longer on trend

whelp, time to start a new burger thread then. or a beef tongue thread

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
new thread. time to repost these

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

numberoneposter posted:

Five hundred. … 500 degrees, that’s the number I figured when I was a kid. 500 degree sardines and eggs and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that’s what you are.

loving let it go, dude. if someone wants to cook their dines and eggs using the self cleaning oven setting, it's their prerogative and you're not going to succeed in shaming them into changing their ways.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
500 (temp of your oven) / 7.5 (avg number of tiny dines in a can of KO) = 66.6 * 10 (number of letters in Sheep Goats) = RONALD WILSON REAGAN

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ever hear that nagging voice in the back of your head saying that sardines are gross? then you turn around and say QUITE WIFE!?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

October Revolution posted:

Hi 'dine thread. I have been lurking this and the old thread for a while and want to try sardines.

My only experience with canned fish is tuna however. I saw someone post it tastes like a much less dry canned tuna, is this generally true? I like tuna but I am weird about salmon which is why I am asking. Idk, I tried many types of salmon and just can't get into it.

Also I'm in Quebec and the only brand I ever see is Clover. Are they okay or should I keep looking? Amazon.ca is expensive :ohdear:

thank you and god bless

Steal a car, even if you own one, steal a car. Get in that car and drive west until you find a store that sells King Oscar. When you get to that store get out and go to the nearest bar and start to play pool or pinball or possibly even foosball and wait to get into a fight. Then buy some dines. Afterwards, get back in that car and drive it until it runs out of gas. Then, torch it. And, as you're standing there watching those flames, eat those dines straight out of the can chasing them with bites of sour dough bread. Once you've finished the can if you're not grossed out then you are a dines fan.

Wanna know how I know? Wanna know who told me? Well, last year, the girl on the Season loving sardine can told me, that's who.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Chirk Manbote posted:

Guys what are your favorite dine crackers?
I'm in in the pacific northwest, so whatever stupid regional names apply.

sour dough bread, preferably a baguette. stoned wheat thins in an emeregency. assholesin this theead will tell you to get some garbage crackers that resemble sandpaper coated drywall, ignore them.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Chirk Manbote posted:

Sounds logical and delicious. Do you add any condo-mints to your bague-dines?

I almost always add lemon juice. dijon, horseradish and hot sauce (various types from lousiana to sriacha to sweet garlic chili sauce are all acceptable depending on circumstances) are also fine dinedements.

If you get a better brand packed in hot sauce you shouldn't have to add anything to it. Same with most of the better meditaranean style ones and KO with cracked pepper.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Doctor Soup posted:

So I did a bit of comparison, and nutrition estimates seem to vary a lot even within brands. Is that a species thing? I was going to order some King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil, but they seem to have more fat and less protein than some of the other options out there. Is there any rule of thumb for getting healthier sardines?

Yeah, don't loving worry about it. Is, like, 1/20th a percentage difference in protein by volume going to make that big of a difference in your quest to get swole? If you want dines with a lower fat content then you need to get ones that aren't packed in a fat medium, ie. water, which are gross. Dines are good for you, don't waste your precious dine granted mental energy in trying to min/max the fuckers.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Doctor Soup posted:

Cool, I won't worry about it then, thanks.

Something else I noticed, sardines in oil seem to always be smoked unless they're also skinless and boneless. Not sure what's up with that. I'm not big on smoky sardines, how are King Oscars compared to Wild Planet on that front?

KO's are, in most varieties, on the oily/smoky side. The only thing I remember about Wild Planet was not liking them and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons was that they weren't smoky enough. Filipino dines aren't smoky, are dirt cheap and are -okay- if you douse them in something other than the tomato sauce they're packed in. They come in round cans.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sheep-Goats posted:

Ligo dine are decent food, a rare thing in Pilipino foods

Sounds like someone hasn't had Jollibee fried chicken yet.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
this used to be a serious thread and now you fuckers are talking about sardine based cocktails. knock it the gently caress off. though some anchovy paste in a bloody mary would be kickin rad

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

numberoneposter posted:

you must be tons of fun at parties

yeah, cause you know the shithead puking up bacardi and dine is the guy all the girls want to go home with

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

huskarl_marx posted:

whole point of dines is kids and girls dont steal them

thats why they're dadfood

if you aren't training your childs to enjoy sardines, you have failed as a dad.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

PinkoBastard posted:

Yeah only post recipes Sizone likes you pieces of loving poo poo.

that's unironically an excellent idea.

seriously, think about it for a minute, visualize the experience, do you really want to drink a beverage that has dine chunks in it? one of the main reasons for the dine thread is to prove to the skeptical that dines are tasty, not gross. talk of dine cocktails is seriously undoing something like a year of dine bridge building.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

naem posted:

It's New Year's Eve and my entire extended family made me meet up in a literal tree house bed and breakfast in the damp rainforest section of Hawaii, there is no alcohol, and wild boars are watching me poop into a toilet 20 feet off the ground, I'm def not getting to make out drunkenly with anyone at midnight, however I did introduce sardines to a ten and seven year old which is ironic as I am the only non-dad present

it's not boars, it's me, I'm watching you poop

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Thump! posted:

Sounds pretty lame, whatever it is. Bones are the best part.

in general, yet, but season are my favorite dine. everything else is there, texture flavor, price, I can live w/out the bones.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

marauderthirty posted:

White onion?!

:frogout:

for when you want that onion flavor without the sweetness of a yellow or red. that also might be shallot, which is probably what you're supposed to traditionally use.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ChrisHansen posted:

Got drunk last night and poured a tin of dines in hot sauce over a half bowl of cheez its. Mixed it all together and ate it like a bowl of cereal.

Was way better than I had any right to expect.

sardines- what is the meal that will induce the most painful poo poo?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mange Mite posted:

Yellow onion is a trash onion

yellow onion is perfectly adequate for, like, 95% of onion requiring applications and the best suited onion for, like, 30-50% of onion requiring applications. you are an onion idiot.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
no, that's totally right. yellow is the goldilocks that can be used raw in a pinch (or for potent poo poo like chili dogs or pico de gallo) and which cooks up a little on the sweet/mild side. the point being that it's versatile, not garbage.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Baxter posted:

I'll know shortly what all this hubbub is about.

That's for 3 tins. Enough, I think, to form an impression.

dude, you paid 6$ a tin for KO tiny tots. the only impression that's going to form is that you got badly ripped off.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
if leeks are gonna be categorized as onions they need some special ranking. 'cause leeks lightly steamed and served with italian dressing or vinegrette are way better than any of the other onion types would be under the same preparation.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
yeah, I've never liked mustard dines. Once in a blue moon I'll dip my oil dines into dijon, but that's pretty rare. bet some chinese hot mustard mixed with shoyu would be a masterful dine dip

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
covering it will help

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DiggityDoink posted:

King Oscar is the standard here fellow dads.

If you're spending less than what one of those would cost, you're buying bad 'dines and are probably gonna have a bad time.

Less than that is deadbeat dad and/or cat food.

This is bullshit. There are a lot of other fish in the sea besides KO. There's also nothing wrong with slumming it and having a can of Beachcliff in hot sauce or Family or Ligo.

More to the point, a good dad is a frugal dad. While they aren't going to be getting bumblebee in water, they're certainly not going to be paying 4$ a can for tiny tots, they could get a comparably sized hunk of fresh tuna for that price, hell, that would be like buying soda at a fast food place.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Haverchuck posted:

how are the ligos? i have some i havent opened yet. its a can the size and shape of a tomato paste can. I imagine they are arranged vertically inside the can

The best way to answer that question is to open the can and try them.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflAaRrqwIM

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Geoff Zahn posted:

Kipper snacks are good.

Eat kippers

yeah, they're o.k. but once you go sprat you can never go back

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Keith Atherton posted:

Beach Cliff is the only brand I don't think I will buy again.

It's weird how subjective dine tastes are. Beachcliff being, by far, my favorite of the el cheapo dines.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Got a can of Mega and a can of Ligo both in tomato/chili sauce. do some philidino taste testing in a few.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ate the can of Family. 4 biggish dines in the can, soft but not falling apart, no smoke flavor, good big crunchy spines, a little on the fishy side but not overwhelmingly. The tomato chili sauce was a little hot and, as to be expected given the country of origin, really salty. All in all, not bad for 70 cents, heaps better than most of the stuff in the price bracket.

Would, with a little effort, make an excellent pasta sauce. (add some onions, a small can of tomato sauce to thin out the saltiness, some garlic and some wine)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ceciltron posted:

Ate my last can of sexy dad's jalapeño KOs. Hot drat were they good. Gonna drive down to the US with a similarly now addicted friend and buy a case :getin:

all getting stopped by the cops for looking racially out of place in the eastern european neighborhood

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AEMINAL posted:

Gonna make a dine salad for lunch today

Tomatoes
Bell pepper
Lettuce
Rucola(arugula)
Feta cubes
Some herb vinegrette
1 tin tomato paste 'dines

I'll pair it with some home baked ciabatta bread.

I have some pesto rosso but IDK if it would go well?? Maybe i could put it on the bread.. Ideas, dine dads??? Do I need croquettes...

Sounds like a salad I would make. Would suggest going full roquette and ditch the lettuce. Would pr'lly also use cucumber instead of bell pepper and use olive oil dines instead of tomato sauce ones.

you don't ever really need croquettes unless you're trying to sweeten up a lady friend. girls love those loving things.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AEMINAL posted:

I followed your advice and man, what a great little salad that was. The tomato paste dines would have gotten too messy, but olive oil ones were just right and added that little extra :)

Nothing was left. Not even a spine or a stray leaf

glad the dad salad knowledge worked out for you

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I would just like to say gently caress brown rice. no matter how relatively good it is for you, just gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

It's this. Also spend a few bucks on it, go to an asian grocery.

k then brown rice hippy wizards, what's the secret to making it fit for human consumption rather than just mycelial consumption?