Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
:rip: ydgs. I got some mustard Brunswicks and Clover Leaf brislings in olive oil, because my local Costco didn't have KOs. Good shits for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Brunswicks are caught 'n' canned really close to where I live, and I am very okay with that and them.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 22, 2015

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

kazr posted:

light yourself on fire if you don't like them it's your own personal failing

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Just sucked some more mustard Brunswicks, straight outta the can standing over the sink. Sickin' my wife out, but my coat's never been so shiny.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Tonight I had some Clover Leaf brislings in olive oil, they weren't bad with hot sauce. Gonna get some KOs soon, dads.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

This was an awesome step by step! Definitely gonna try them out at 500, Thanks Sheep-Goats.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Has anyone tried the Clover Leaf 'dines in olive oil? The fish are from Poland, they're a good 'dine.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sizone posted:

this used to be a serious thread and now you fuckers are talking about sardine based cocktails. knock it the gently caress off. though some anchovy paste in a bloody mary would be kickin rad

Yeah only post recipes Sizone likes you pieces of loving poo poo.

no hard feelings Sizone, sardine Caesars don't sound so hot to me either, but I'm all for equality when it comes to the dine thread

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 31, 2015

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sizone posted:

that's unironically an excellent idea.

seriously, think about it for a minute, visualize the experience, do you really want to drink a beverage that has dine chunks in it? one of the main reasons for the dine thread is to prove to the skeptical that dines are tasty, not gross. talk of dine cocktails is seriously undoing something like a year of dine bridge building.

Yeah that's fair, I edited my post because I re-read yours and got the point. Although now there are so many dine converts, myself included, that i think we're going to start seeing some slightly weirder recipes.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Bobcats posted:

Brunswick® Boneless Herring

If you're rockin' Brunswicks, it's deens or nothing. Preferably mustard or hot pepper. I'm sorry that you had to eat that bullshit, barfy salt lick can of rat poo poo.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Thump! posted:

I'll pose the question again since it was looked over but now we're talking about affordability, where's the best place online to get tins of quality dine's at affordable prices?

I'd also like to know if anyone in Canada buys them online, and where, because the KOs on Amazon are outrageously priced when you factor in the shipping.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

for a meager loonie

I took advantage of the same deal at the local Superstore, grabbed some hot pepper and mustard. Also Brunswick beats Bumblebee every time, ffs guys

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

naem posted:

Like sometimes I squirt a little lemon or lime into the can after I open it before eating over the sink that's my recipe

Lil bit of dill is nice, too

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Can't find any KOs at all in my area, and it's bumming me the gently caress out. if the wife and I cross the border into Maine some time I'll stock up.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
That 'dinewich looks so legit

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

quote this post if you need to reiterate that dine bones just become part of the texture of the dine rather than something you have to worry about choking or poking you

They're soft enough to ignore completely, just eat them bones.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I've never eaten a fish head before, but I'd dive in to that plate without hesitation.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Overwined posted:

Sifting through that blog I have discovered that eating vintage sardines is a thing.

How vintage are we talking here?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

ive been slumming it and one thing ive noticed about lower price mark dines is how greatly they vary even within batches.
I've found this, too, and it's especially disappointing when they're supposed to be firm and you get a tin that's mushy. It really makes me wonder about these dudes eating 48 year old dines.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Kilo147 posted:

Well, poo poo. Didn't have my tablet with me, ended up at the store and bought Crown Prince instead of King Oscar. And in water. That's what I get for not writing this poo poo down. Should I just exchange them? They're unopened

I've never enjoyed dines in water, and it would probably be a pretty weak introduction to the world of the :coolfish: I'd exchange them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Male Tears posted:

Not yet, I'm feeling a bit intimidated by them. How did you eats yours? I was thinking for the purest experience I should eat them plain out of the tin with the sardine fork.

If I had those vintage 'dines I'd absolutely eat them straight from the tin. Also Sheep-Goats is right: it would be cool if you could do a side by side with some standard KOs.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Jimson posted:

Anyone here have experience eating this with a busted up mouth? Really wanna get down on some tiny rear end fish, but my dad said the worse pain he ever experienced was when a bone lodged itself into one of his cavities, and my mouth is ALL cavity.

Dine bones shouldn't gently caress with your cavities, they're not sharp and have less crunch than a potato chip.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Not the most appetizing pic, but these Clover Leaf brislings in olive oil are pretty good! Nice and firm, much smaller and a bit fishier than my usual 'dines. They were great with some hot sauce and pepper. Would absolutely get them again.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Thanks dine bros, I just wish I hadn't eaten any of the :coolfish: before I took the picture.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

brunswicks are on sale for 99 canadian cents a pop over here

Just don't get the tomato ones

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

ChrisHansen posted:

With no pants at 2 am over the sink with your fingers

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sizone posted:

runny whites are gross as all hell. runny yolks are the reason you're eating an egg in the first place and not, say, tofu

I put my eggs in a bowl of lukewarm water for a few mins so that the egg cooks more evenly, particularly when frying

Also cuz we're on a new page I'm gonna bump the other dad food thread again:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766728

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

the yeti posted:

So are sprats and brislings the same small fish or no?

Yes sir, they are

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

Came home drunk last night and ate a Gala apple and a tin of sardines with WAY too much hot sauce. Spicy poop this AM.

Can't recall if it's been discussed elsewhere itt, but 'dines are an excellent drunk food for any otherwise-health-conscious dad. another reason to respect the :coolfish:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Dirt posted:

:coolfish: Trip Report :coolfish:

First can of 'dines down. They did not taste like I expected them to at all. I expected them to be much more "fishy" tasting. Very mild fish flavor. No heads on these little guys, I was sorta bummed about that.

I ate them over the sink out of the can in proper dad form. I also ate a few kosher dill pickle spears with them, they went good together! I tried a bite with some lime juice, not bad either. Some franks red hot on a couple other bites, also pretty good.

I could definitely see mixing the dines with a little mayo, chopped dill pickle and onion being a pretty legit sandwich base. Better than tuna salad.

Gonna buy some more next time I'm at the store. I want to try some mustard ones.

Thread bookmarked. I'm officially on the 'dine bandwagon.

edit: Also I poured some of the oil over my dogs dry food. She went nuts. She likes the 'dines too

Good man, welcome to the temple of the :coolfish:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Post pics of the canadines pls

These are the Canadian Clover Leaf Mediterranean bristlings, which are apparently the same as KOs?

I ate half the can before the pic was taken, so you don't see the black olives/spices on top, and I put hot sauce on them but you get the idea. They're the best 'dines I've tried.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Pastor Perineum posted:

how's the price of clover leaf dines? are they top shelf prices like KO?

In my experience, yes!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Sardines are good drunk food. They're salty and low calorie so you don't get that bloated and gross feeling

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Sheep-Goats knows more about cooking than I do my clam sauce would be some drat bullshit

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

I'm making a sardine pizza.

I'd like to peep a pic of this, if you can

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

My hat is off to that beautiful 'dinezza

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

sirspankalot posted:

I ate some sardines after the recommendations itt. Ended up hurling for 7 hours afterwards. Never again.

What kinds did you try?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Fish ball is tasty

I want the gloop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Tochiazuma posted:

My first foray into sardines (I'd done smoked herring before) was this weekend and so I ate a tin of Clover Leaf Brislings in olive oil.

Lacking the ingredients to make any of the OP recipes, I went with some crackers and three different toppings: sriracha (yummy, even though normally I don't like hot sauce that much), sweet mustard (nah, not great) and dijon mustard (very nice)

None of my children wanted to share them, perhaps because I was bouncing them up and down on the cracker so that the tails would move while asking "Whoooo wants to be like a seal and slurp these down with Daddy? Anybody?" That's fine, I didn't really want to share them anyways.

Overall: enjoyed, would eat again, will eat again, will try some different dishes next time

You should get your hands on the Clover Leaf Mediterranean flavoured brislings, I'd highly recommend them!