Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The reason why the manga keeps going on hiatus is because Togashi isn't making the story up, he's actually travelling into another alternate world where he spends his time following a group of heroes around chronicling their adventures and has to come back ever so often to document it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HxH has the internet and all sorts of advanced technology. Them having nuclear weapons or near-nuclear weapons isn't particularly surprising.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume there are at least some people out there who are absurdly strong but have no idea of Nen, they just have subconsciously set a bunch of rules and limits for themselves. Like Komugi but without the board games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The details will be a reveal of an additional hiatus which in fact extends backwards, retroactively erasing issues of the manga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like the explanations this chapter because they make sense. Chrollo's entire plan depends on Hisoka having to worry about ten different things at once and that only works if you fully explain the power. Hisoka is making decisions based off the information he was given which he wouldn't be doing if Chrollo didn't explain and that might actually work against him because he'll refrain from killing blows he would have gone for otherwise because he isn't sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Giving Hisoka a really basic power set is a fantastic idea because rather than it devolving into the usual shonen powerups it means this character is threatening because he's really intelligent about the use of his seemingly basic powers. It helps underline the idea that the super-complex awesome megacool Nen powers with laundry lists of rules are not inherently better than a simple power used intelligently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Leorio still hasn't had a real fight.

I believe you'll find he has a 1-0 win record over Ging.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Leorio because he has an important role in the story that a lot of shonen wouldn't give him. He's the "Krillin" for lack of a better word of the group, the weakest of the lot who is defined by his friendship to the others. He's also the moral center of the group despite being the weakest and HxH is willing to treat that as significent, much as it is willing to actually treat Gon and Killua's and Kurapika's failings as actual failings instead of merely expected parts of the genre.Leorio makes dumb mistakes but is genuinely a good-hearted honest person who wants to help people and while he doesn't get great fighters neither is that treated as a weakness or unimportant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://mangastream.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/355/3425/10
Now we really know what Hisoka's O face is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt Hisoka will pull out a completely unknown trump card but it'll probably be some clever and previously unforeseen property of rubber or gum.

Or maybe Texture Surprise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like HxH has been a little inconsistent in Hisoka's portrayal in this respect. At the beginning he's portrayed as someone who enjoys killing in general, but I don't think that ever comes up again later (when he's just portrayed as being interested in killing strong dudes or people who directly cause him problems).

Hisoka enjoys killing on his own terms, he dislikes killing on someone else's terms because it doesn't feed his murderboner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jon joe posted:

I wonder if there's anyone with the nen power of just being completely immune to all other nen. Make everything into a physical fight.

I'm sure there's someone with like an Absolute Control Territory where you fulfill the condition and nobody can use their Nen inside or something like that.

They probably die because someone pulled out a gun and shot them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silento posted:

I've always wondered something about Gon's rock punch. Couldn't he have made saying the thing he says a condition and powered it up even more?

It is pretty likely that he did unconsciously. It's kind of established that not all nen conditions are intentional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hisoka is using texture surprise to hide himself but he's effectively a walking zombie held together by Nen now which is a hell of a weakness. He's got fake limbs and his body is literally held together by his Nen functioning. He's a zombie and the second he gets put in a situation where he can't depend on Nen he's dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really recommend the 2011 anime. The first arc is a little rough but otherwise it's just an incredibly strong adaptation and honestly superior in a few ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A friend of mine didn't ready HxH and only saw the anime and basically got the same Kite experience as I did. People overstate how important that one bit is especially when you're talking about literally solid days of episodes in-between.

Asuron posted:

Neither does Shank in One Piece other than inspiring Luffy and that's all you know about him for ages.

It really isn't the same at all. Shanks is an incredibly important part of Luffy's life. Kite isn't even really mentioned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think it's really forced. Gon is a dude who forms incredibly strong attachments on basically a moment's notice. He will do insane poo poo for guys he just met.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurapika's abilities are interesting because they are absurdly OP but can only be absurdly OP through his massive mental problems that cripple his real potential.

It's similar to how Big Gon is insanely overpowered but the only way to get there is through severely loving brain problems.

Even the Chairman had absolutely absurd power but only did it by being a crazy person who dedicated his life to violence-meditation.

An ongoing thing in HxH isn't just that Nen is powerful it is that Nen is a reflection of who you are and those with the strongest Nen also tend to be the most hosed-up people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Gon died fighting Neferpitou and all of this is just his dying hallucination where he imagined a world where he could have survived, met his dad and his friends had cool adventures.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

Polite Mind Control Bear is fantastic and it sucks that we won't see more of it for god knows how long. Are all those beasts from Woble? The translation implies that they are, but it is mangastream so....

I can't believe he left it on a cliffhanger. Although it's not like Kurapika is going to get killed by some chump with a knife.

You say that and then Kurapika gets killed by some chump with a knife and it becomes the LEORIO SHOW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyte posted:

Because that's terrible no matter how lovely their manga is. :v:

And perhaps if he didn't try for weekly things would be better for everybody.

I don't really understand what you're expecting. If he has health issues that prevent him from working then working monthly doesn't mean much. At best it just means you're getting a more 'consistent' schedule instead which is utterly meaningless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

What can I say.

I'm bad at being bad.

I bet you're not even seafood. You're probably some kind of fowl. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://yonkouprod.com/yoshihiro-togashi-x-masashi-kishimoto-interview/

Summary of Togashi and Kishimoto (Naruto) interview from this weeks Jump I think

"Togashi wants to draw a card battle manga like Yu-Gi-Oh after he finishes Hunter Hunter although he already drew it in Greed Island arc."

Hmmm....

"Kishimoto is cheered up by watching the trailer of “DmC Devil May Cry” again and again."

Oh... oh dear.

That explains so loving much about Kishimoto.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gon is a tried and true shonen protagonist who likes fighting, makes friends with dangerous people, and never gives up on a friend.

It is just that sometimes maybe those are not always positive traits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

The 99 series has a few other baffling changes, like the weird obsession with making Kurapika seem female (like hiding his chest from Leorio), and also making it so the three dudes in Heaven's Arena were just faking being disabled. Like, why?

I've read the team behind the 99 series thought that Kurapika had to be a woman because of how emotional and yada yada he was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He isn't that emotional? I mean Gon is a loving train wreck on that front.

The 1999 anime also downplayed Gon's weird elements and made him more generic shonen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Get bent, that poo poo was awful. Nothing but build up with no delivery for two loving seasons, nobody even fights for crying out loud :cry:

I will never complain about One Piece having a slow start after going through that mess, yikes.

Good show though! Wish I had skipped to Season 3

If you're unhappy with lots of buildup that doesn't lead to epic punchman battles then you should stop watching right here because some of the show's strongest moments are based around characterization and gimmicks rather than fighting. The fact that Heaven's Tower ended with Killua and Gon getting bored and leaving should have been a pretty clear sign of the show's priorities.

Edit: It does have some really excellent and amazing fights but it also has lots of non-fights.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 3, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HxH is genuinely good about making characters have actual flaws and not the flaw of I'm Too Nice or whatever. The characters are all largely hosed up weirdos and the probably morally strongest guy in the show is Leorio of all people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

"To Ging the hunter I take off my hat; to Ging the man I put it back on again."

For real though, like a lot of people (I imagine), I like how Togashi bucks the trend of having the protagonist's absentee dad have a secretly good or important reason for being unavailable, instead making him an unapologetic deadbeat. He's accomplished great things, sure, but he's still a terrible parent and doesn't even try to pretend he's anything else.

EDIT: Also, yeah, the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc is weird. Could've easily cut its length by a good third.

Yeah, I really dislike the (not exclusively to Japan but certainly common there) 'noble absentee dad' thing and I was glad HxH just went "yep, nah, he's an rear end in a top hat."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Holy poo poo gon's VA is loving nailing this scene

Gon's VA is absolutely fantastic when it comes to a lot of the Chimera Ant scenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The character is intentionally ambiguously gendered but the anime producers pretty clearly assumed a woman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eej posted:

Also Meruem and his colony were only considered a B rank threat so lol at everyone sailing over to the Dark Continent

That doesn't mean the Dark Contient creatures are necessarily stronger, just more dangerous. Meruem was a relatively lower threat because at the end of the day you can nuke him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At the time they were still unsure they'd even be allowed to adapt Chimera Ant IIRC so it sort of made sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo41dQKLAio

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Can we have a poll for how many chapters we'll get?

Is it possible to get half a chapter?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

In 10 chapters well find out that hisoka make a fake head and him and pink are kissing because ill be mad if she's dead.

I am pretty sure that Hisoka kissing you increases, not decreases your chance of being dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurapika is interesting because he has an incredibly powerful and important set of powers that do allow him to punch way above his level and despite that they leave him feeling frustrated, ineffectual and impotent. That is entirely the point. He is absurdly powerful and it doesn't matter because his quest for revenge is meaningless and self-destructive and his ability to win isn't the critical central focus of the plot.

It is exactly like The King who is the strongest motherfucker around and a horrifying creature who would be the Frieza of any other arc but his story is about his gradual change in personality and development and his eventual defeat is an anti-climax that none the less is completely satisfying because it comes at the end of his character growth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the pot that makes nen beasts predates this contest by a lot. i kind of doubt the king is capable of adding such precise restrictions to them.

Someone not being able to add precise mechanical restrictions to a nen skill?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Get early 00's Tim Buckley to draw for Togashi.

Boom. No more missed deadlines.

(Oh God I actually want to see this now)

Panel 1: Killua runs into the hospital.
Panel 2: Killua talking to Bisque
Panel 3: Killua to Leorio
Panel 4: Killua standing over a comatose Gon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dazoner posted:

I am so confused, how is Kurapika using his chains? I thought he could only use them on Phantom Troupe or he dies? Also, I miss Gon :(

Only Chain Jail has that limitation.