Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've started reading through this and I'm at Chapter 99 (Killua's dad and granddad vs Chrollo) and my impressions are that the art is pretty awful to begin with and makes it hard to read, the designs of the heroes were off putting, especially Kurapika (I disliked all of him), to begin with and I wasn't mad for the badge stealing part. From then on though, it's been getting a lot better, the Celestial tournament was good poo poo, especially the Hisoka vs Gon stuff. (I know the fight in the 2011 is extremely lauded so I watched that after I read it too, good stuff.) It feels like with the Yorknew arc it's really coming into its own though and the art has found its niche and is good and Kurapika isn't poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So this whole Chimera Ant arc, it's a teeny tiny a lot drawn out as gently caress huh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm at like chapter 280 or so and the best bit was definitely the training with Knuckle. The rest is sorta unspectacular as a whole, though not bad.

I don't care about spoilers or whatever and Seafood mentioned said something about the spiders showing up again out of the blue, not really as a negative, but everything revolving around them and who they're involved with (basically Hisoka is probably showing up) are a lot better and more interesting than the Chimera Ants.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That makes perfect sense, imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Me or Frolicking?
You, the thing you're saying you're not sure if it makes sense. I'm not certain I agree with the point, and would definitely need a re-read even when I'm done to fully judge, but the point makes sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have caught up now. Chimera Ant definitely ends strong and everything else after is good overall. Chrollo vs Hisoka was excellent.

A series with frequent lengthy hiatuses where they've just got on a boat? I swear I've heard that before...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Latest 3 togashi notes

He must be in a real state because that's not a large weight at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To be fair, Verbose is HxH's aesthetic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://readms.com/r/hunter_x_hunter/359/3487/1

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're the two lead protagonists of the manga, which is a pretty good reason for them to be in any given arc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Or is it a super good idea because he'd reawaken his powers better than ever at just the perfect time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

updated, supposedly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wonder if he's ever considered a reliable impersonator. Someone who can do a good version of his art so he can just do storyboards and plot.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jump SQ. is Shueisha's monthly Shonen mag.
Ultra Jump, (JoJo's magazine) is monthly Seinen so Togashi may not want to use that one.
When all is said and done though, if he wanted to publish monthly, they'd probably just let him release HxH every month in WSJ if it's still big enough to be considered one of Shueisha's premiere properties.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kyte posted:

Guys he's not working for free. He has a contract, he literally gets paid to draw things. That's his job. Don't treat it like he's putting out a free webcomic.

All of your posts read as though they're written by a person who has never had anything close to debilitating pain by any means.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://buzz-plus.com/article/2016/07/21/hunter-hunter-saikai/

Restarts when there's a backlog of 3 chapters for Togashi to have leeway, I suppose. That link supposedly says anyway. Would mean the hiatus may not be too long.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood betraying his name by not letting people have false hope. What a good seafood how shameful

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gambatte, Togashi!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

im togashi ama

what colour are your socks

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://yonkouprod.com/yoshihiro-togashi-x-masashi-kishimoto-interview/

Summary of Togashi and Kishimoto (Naruto) interview from this weeks Jump I think

"Togashi wants to draw a card battle manga like Yu-Gi-Oh after he finishes Hunter Hunter although he already drew it in Greed Island arc."

Hmmm....

"Kishimoto is cheered up by watching the trailer of “DmC Devil May Cry” again and again."

Oh... oh dear.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 17, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress Ging

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rumours of HxH's return date from Jump Ryu#21 magazine this month are wrong. No return announced.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

that, but partially ironically but in a way that people aren't sure if it is or not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Thread should really have a disclaimer at the top telling all new viewers to skip those arcs, it is a major series turn-off :barf:

:barf: yourself

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never seen the anime but the Chimera Ant in the manga has a lot of meandering and padding in how it's executed, to be fair. And then you get to Netero vs Meurem and it's like well gently caress this is amazing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Leorio owning Ging is the best part of the series so far because Leorio owns and Ging is a tool

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If your son was Tidus, you'd check out too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

As a dad, it's your job to be an rear end in a top hat to your son. That makes him more powerful. The sons job (only life goal) is to destroy their father.. this means the more powerful and jerkish the father, the stronger the son must become to face him. The absentee father becomes ever more powerful as things which are imagined are always scarier than things which are known. This is the "boy named sue" theory of parenting, and we can see that only through Jechts taunting of a 9 year old boy was Tidus able to gain the strength to destroy the "spiral of death" and create a new future for spiria.

Extremely correct.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also him deciding to glare at the cat was a really good scene.

I really enjoy how HxH takes the inherently villainous "gently caress around and I will utterly slaughter you without mercy" thing and gives it to a kid who up until the Chimera Ant arc is generally happy go lucky, the hero and a very good boy.

And then he slaughters that cat without mercy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had no idea about anything about data books or what the internet thinks or the anime and I thought it was a boy based on the Viz translations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kurapika breaks the Miyuki Sawashiro = auto best girl rule.

Half because he's a boy, half because he's a poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I rewatched Gon's fight with Hisoka today and it's super well animated and a super underrated fight.

I've never heard anyone say anything other than this fight being absolutely amazing and as such, appropriately rated as excellent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Wanna see Hisoka vs Chrollo get animated.

The Dark Continent thing is pretty interesting, but if HxH happens again in future, I want to see Hisoka loving up the rest of the Troupe more.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Sandman posted:

So before I try to read through 108 pages of thread, I just want to clarify something: we're currently back to the Great Hiatus Arc in the manga, yes?

Yeah, and they even got on a boat to start it all off.

:negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Togashi, probably: "Ohh, me back"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I decided to get on the bandwagon of watching the anime (2011) for the first time and the whole anagram thing at the end of the GI arc is... hilariously unfortunate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the dub handles that.

They localised it as Ngig in the licensed manga, so I would imagine they're either cutting the frames where the original anagram is there in the latin alphabet or they're going to ask Madhouse to swap it up? Seems like they probably wouldn't bother though after so long...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Machi straight up says "Pick your battles and opponent more wisely from now on" after Hisoka stops being dead, which obviously means "you can win if the situation favours you".

Then Hisoka was all "yeah okay i'll just go gank people like a rogue in 2004 WoW" 'cos he's the best boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want Hisoka to put Texture Surprise on Chrollo's book and see how it plays out.