Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

thathonkey posted:

hit me up on ICQ. yeah, i know, every other service uses handles as an improvement over having to remember a long string of random numbers like with telephones but it's chill af over here

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I still have the plain white cd sent out to alpha testers for UO. One day I will sell it to some nerd.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

:filez:

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I remember selling compaqs at Radioshack and telling people they just HAD to get MSN dialup to save $200 off the computer.

I felt bad about it until payday, sweet sweet 'spiffs'.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean my car only has a CD player and I hate those FM transmitters so I still buy CDs, they just cost $1.99 at Goodwill instead of $14.99 at Tower Records. Last time I went was 50% off CDs, picked up Led Zeppelin 1-4, a 2-cd Yes compilation, and albums by Talib Kweli, Tribe Called Quest, Head Automatica, and Witch for like $15 total =)

just drive around with earbuds in like all the other cool kids

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

EVIR Gibson posted:

Man I hated the gently caress out of the sequel. utter garbage. The thing I liked was you were fighting in space in those dopey as hell spacewalk suits. In comes the sequel where the designers forgot the cold war poo poo stuff worked great. gently caress the storyline.

Also the tanks were easily the closest to feeling that I was in full control of its movement at high speeds.

In recognition of your awesomeness I found this link recently. Someone has a copy of battlezone 1 online updated to work on modern machines with no graphics bullshit and networking games actually is very drat easy without having to use heat online.

http://www.battlezone1.com/

Btw remember the game browser/server wars? That was until every single multiplayer game need to be hosted on official servers beyond your control.

gamespy only recently gave up and died, the leader of said server browser war

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Game spy is the origin of this dead gay forum. Low tax worked there until he was fired for sexual harassment.

was he the bad comedy forum manager?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

hatchbacks are the nickleback of cars

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

That is hulk hogan if he made different life choices

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

250 million calcs per second

lol my phone does more than that nasa doesnt even lift

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Try a GIF thread

this isn't reddit

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

8 track betamax posted:

Also related: a thing that I absolutely LOVE is finding websites where the most recent post is years old and its always a really pathetic pleading\whining excuse about why posts have been thin lately.....but wait just wait....I've turned a corner in my life and GET READY FOR GREAT THINGS IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!

we are all sorta waiting for that to be your story

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Remember when you had only a certain number of minutes or texts each month and if you went over you had to pay extra money?

I also bought a hard drive today that was in a blister pack. :psyduck:

and now thats the way it is with data

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

One modern invention I love is HDMI out on desktops and laptops being a modern thing, finally I can have the HTPC I always wanted without having to use lovely S video or god forbid the yellow cable.

or the three video cables

trying to explain that you can not use normal RCA cables for that was a pain

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Germstore posted:

You could though couldn't you?

if you wanted to play charades with the tv, yes!

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Germstore posted:

I don't know what that means.

They're both 75 ohm wires and have the same physical connections. You need two sets and they need to be not poo poo rca cables but other than those caveats it should work in theory and I know I've used it in practice.

rca cables came in a set of three

you needed five to hook up video and audio via rca cables

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I am guessing you never had to explain this to people who didn't understand that component and composite were not the same thing even if the cables were the same.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There was a gynecologist somewhere wondering why all the girls in town had pen scribblings in their vaginas.

we called it modern art

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Gonz posted:

Are you sure this wasn't an alternate dimension? I was positive that Radio Shack went under a few years back.

EDIT: Oh poo poo. The internet just told me the following:

:psyduck:

they did, then sprint purchased the name and all that jazz

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Not quite, Sprint bailed em out pretty heavily, and as a result Sprint owns the leases and such to a good chunk of the stores, and they only sell Sprint and its prepaid subsidiaries now instead of the big three providers, but sadly Radio Shack as a corporate entity keeps on chugging somehow (IIRC they went from a 4-building office complex to half a building's worth of offices down at Corporate :laugh:)

That is because when cellular phones were moving from bag phones to handheld units they paid me thousands of dollars to sell people phones and crazy high dollar plans. During the prime time of the market radioshack was making poo poo loads of money from carriers for selling contracts. Then they shoved all their eggs in that basket and the market died off as people got phones and it was no longer a gold mine.

RS failed because they paid me (and others during the time) too much money and they didn't save any.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I would guess that rule #1 on your magic SA offshoot filez site is "don't ever loving mention this site anywhere" with the corollary of "especially not on SA itself" you dumbass

he cashed it in for cool points on sa

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

I love it when people quote something they don't want posted, so then it stays posted no matter what.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

thathonkey posted:

it was a really cool idea but the implementation was really clunky and it just never really got a foothold.

had some fun times in rooms though before when it first came out

plug.dj sorta...sorta works the same

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

console salt started long ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thanks to language issues both on the phone and in person I ended up getting char siu pork instead of Singapore noodles tonight... I love char siu so it's not a total loss but it's my own drat fault for not checking the boxes.

stop appropriating food cultures

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Neito posted:

Back about this time, didn't one of the pre-WoW MMOs (either Everquest or UO) have a /pizza command that hooked into Pizza Hut somehow?

it was everquest 2

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Starhawk64 posted:

As far as PC games are concerned, :filez: has it covered.

this was true, going forward it doesn't seem to be 100% so

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Guy writing code for mega cd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH94fKtGr0M

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

What is the good lunix flavor then?

Bitter Neckbeard

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Non-Widescreen Version Of DVD Received As Hanukkah Gift

Rosenstein holds the inadequate gift.

BROOKLYN, NY—Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed "full screen" version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

"Great," said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. "Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded."

"With approximately a third of the movie's visual content missing, thanks to 'pan-and-scan,'" he added under his breath.

http://www.theonion.com/article/non-widescreen-version-of-dvd-received-as-hanukkah-1038

this guy looks like he was photoshopped into the picture or at the very least his head was

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

These guys keep trying to get me to work for them

for real money or shares?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I assumed HD-DVD stood a better chance at surviving than BD due to the number of titles released on hybrid discs. You could start an HD film library while you still had a DVD player and once you upgraded you wouldn't have to buy all new movies, you just flipped the disc over. The format war would be in its favor because people debating systems would be leaning towards the format favoring what they already had.

Years ago I think I read about how/why Family Video seemed to survive compared to other chains and I think it came down to a combination of strategies. One was they bought the buildings they set up in rather than rented. This turned out to be a thing that hit chains like Blockbuster where they were renting their space and when the video market took a downturn, it also happened as real estate prices went up and rental contracts were starting to expire.

But from what I was told, Family Video would buy their property and then build to include extra rental spaces in the strip for other businesses like pizza or sandwich shops so the business sort of fed one another. People coming for something to rent would go over and grab a pizza. People going to buy a pizza will stop and see if there's a movie. Etc. I think they even have their own non-Little Caesar's pizza chain, too.

They might be unintentionally doing better thanks to the change in streaming content over the last few years. When you now have to sub to about 3-4 different services to find movies you want to watch and when a streaming rental is $3 or more for even an old movie, stopping at a Family Video for a 2/$1 for 5 nights comes across as not so bad given their selection compared to Redbox units.

local family video has a little caeser's and a family dollar, but I do not think they own the building because it is for sale and the video store doesn't show any signs of closing

1.2m

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

any modern day player has all of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Yes they do. It's usually just one composite or composite/component combo input, but it's still there. The very latest Samsung tv's don't, but that's a recent thing.

S-video is the only connector that every manufacturer seemed to simultaneously drop 7 or 8 years ago.

My Sony has 3 HDMI, 3 USB and a coax. Nothing else, which I thought was just the norm for the day.