Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mechanism Eight posted:

So uhh, what about those dotcom pay-to-browse schemes? I was way too young to have a bank account for alladvantage so Beenz was extremely my thing back in the late 90s. 25c to click a banner ad? Pathetic. Winning over a fiver an hour playing asteroids in the the beenz arcade though? :getin:

It's funny, because there are still sites now that pay you to use their ad-laden search engine, watch sponsored videos, etc... and are still easily exploitable with simple mouse clicking scripts.

Places like Swagbucks, Earnhoney, Perk, etc...

I net close to $75 a month in Amazon and/or Paypal GCs just from Swagbucks. I used to use the other ones, but they got kind of crappy, but I hear they're a little better now so might start using them again, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sten Freak posted:

The newer server OSes are infuriating really. I had to google how to shut one down which requires mousing into the bottom right-hand corner to get a UI with a gear icon. :what:

God, I hate regular Server 2012. 2012 R2 is fine, it's basically the server version of upgrading to 8.1. You can boot/log in straight to the Desktop, and you get the Start Menu back. The 2012 R2 (and 8.1) start menu is actually really useful, right-clicking gives you a ton of easy options like restart/shutdown/logout, Control Panel, Task Manager, Command Prompt, etc...

But yeah, in vanilla 8 and 2012, having to find the "magic spot" to hover the cursor to trigger the options is infuriating.

The_Franz posted:

I haven't bothered with MS Office since the 2010 version and just use LibreOffice since all I ever use it for is typing the occasional simple document. It was so nice to go back to menus after spending a couple of years dealing with that ribbon crap. Doing Table->Insert Table or Insert->Image in the menu is immensely more intuitive than crawling through rows of icons trying to find exactly what you need (and sometimes what you needed just wasn't there and you need to go into the ribbon settings to add it).

Yes, my God, how could anyone possibly figure out how to insert a table or picture with the Ribbon.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

8 track betamax posted:

Good grief, I don't know what is worse, his beard or the fact that he thinks he's being funny.

goons.txt

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

My first (and I think to this day only?) use of hex editing was for Eye of the Beholder 2.

I had the game in the mid/late 90's, but got very stuck. I tried to find a guide online (good lord was searching lovely back then...) and I dsid find one, but it was terrible. It glossed over HUGE parts. It was like
1) From the starting forest, go into the castle.
2) From there, go down to the basement. Get the 4 horns.
3) Once you're in the Slime Level, do XYZ.

Well, where the gently caress was the entrance to the Slime level!? I never did find that...probably some secret door I never found.

But I did find a guide to using a hex editor to change the items in your inventory, so I gave myself the keys I needed, but it only worked so much. At some point, it invariably got messed up and switched a lot of my items over to some garbage items, including ones I never edited in the first place.

Edit: Ha, no lie, I think this was the exact walkthrough I was trying to use in high school: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/564792-eye-of-the-beholder-ii-the-legend-of-darkmoon/faqs/2002

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Buttcoin purse posted:

Windows Server 2000 is pretty modern for lab equipment. My dad was telling me about some equipment which only a few years ago they had replaced, but they wanted to keep the old one too which only worked with a Windows 3.1 machine :v:

Stuff like that is part of the reason I stopped being a biomed tech. The other part was that I started getting uncomfortable with people's lives being dependent on whether or not I did a good job repairing something.*

A large majority of medical equipment runs on old hardware and software. Even new stuff manufactured today often has a serial port for upgrading BIOS and firmware and getting detailed logs. I remember I went to a training class for a new anesthesia machine (this was in 2012) and being completely floored that they actually had an ethernet port for communication. There was an endoscopy scope cleaner that ran on DOS 5.0. I had to replace the hard drive on one, and the company had me do so many test to be ABSOLUTELY SURE it definitely needed a new hard drive because they had a stockpile of only so many, and once they were gone, that was it.

*In one of the hospitals I worked at, a patient died while on a ventilator that I was the last to service, and they thought it was because the vent was faulty/I broke something during it's last scheduled maintenance. I had to pull all of my service records and get logs off the machine and so forth and present them to our clinical engineer so he could go before some big meeting with other hospital big wigs about it. Though at some point after I got all my records but before that meeting when they were interviewing the nurse/respiratory therapist, they determined it was operator error. Still enough to make me worried I was going to lose my job or worse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

A few pages late to video game rental chat, but even worse than getting a photocopied manual missing pages was just getting this little white-and-blue sticker on the inside cover of the plastic clamshell:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The day I found the Real Media plugin for Media Player CLassic was a good day, indeed.

Made all those random coded/file/format downloaded Simpsons episodes that much easier to watch.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Holy poo poo you ain't kidding. Auctions on eBay successfully selling for $300.

Whoa, you ain't kidding.

I've had a Gamecube w/ component cables sitting in the back of my closet for like eight years, time to cash in, I guess?

SwissCM posted:

Literally no N64 emulator runs fine. Some games work okay but at the moment it's mostly broken.

Tell me about it. I've been wanting to play Gauntlet: Legends again for YEARS and it looks like the only answer is buy a used N64 and a copy of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

--
† Perfect Dark required it for anything other than 2 player multiplayer on a handful of maps, but technically, it could run without the expansion pack.

Not only was it only 2-player, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't even have bots, which were the best part of Perfect Dark MP.

Honestly, Perfect Dark had better MP than GoldenEye. More creative maps, the bots, and some really cool weapons...dual-wield cyclones 4 lyfe, with a laptop gun in sentry mode hidden in the corner.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GIMP is stupid because I can't easily make a loving circle or a square.

Like holy living poo poo, why isn't there a tool to create simple shapes?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It's not that hard to make shapes. Take the selection tool, make the shape you want. Change the selection to a path and then stroke the path.

Hahaha, are you loving serious?

Here's how I do it in Paint.NET, MS Paint, Photoshop, and I'm assuming literally any other image editing program:

1) Make a loving shape with the shape tool.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It was liker a weird little ramp up of:

"Dolphins and whales are actually really smart!" where it went from just, like, "oh yeah they might be as smart as dogs" to "oh they're like hyper intelligent and might evolve to be smarter than us! Or already are!"

The 70's had Flipper.

Ramped up a but into the 80's with Star Trek 4 and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Then by the time the 90's hit, we get SeaQuest with the talking dolphin, Ecco the Dolphin, and Lisa Frank using both dolphin AND laser imagery, so again, sort of evoking that "futuristic" theme. And Star Trek TNG had a little Easter egg sort of thing with a "Cetacean Ops" as well, continuing on from Star Trek 4.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I hesitate to ask, but what can that old printer do that a newer one can't? Like...I assume there's a good reason you keep using that old printer and don't just buy a cheap Brother laser for, like, $80.

Or is it just good ol' goon stubbornness?

"It WORKS, dammit! I just have to export any file I write to Word 97 format, burn it to a CD*, boot up my Win 98 PC, wait ten minutes for it to finish booting, load up Word 97, put the CD in the the tray, open the file, hope the formatting didn't get hosed, and then I can print just FINE!"

*I guess Win98SE can support some USB drives if they're small enough and in FAT32 format?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Buying an 80-dollar printer that you know will need a 90-dollar toner cartridge real soon seems like a dumb idea when you already have a printer with a cartridge that has been going for twenty years already.

Well I slightly was wrong, seems the budget Brother is a shockingly high...$120:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-hl-l2320d-black-and-white-laser-printer-gray/4499400.p?skuId=4499400

It takes TN-630 cartridges that are the absurd price of...$40:
https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Cartridge-TN630-Replacement-Replenishment/dp/B00LGCUPQU
Or the high-yield TN-660 for $60:
https://www.brother-usa.com/products/tn660
I don't know how many more pages it gives, on average, but it it's more than 1.5 the amount of pages, it's a better deal.

For the record, I have a Brother B+W Laser I bought back in 2014, a slightly better version of that one (mine can scan and has wifi) and I bought one toner cartridge with it. I used the "starter" cartridge for a couple years, then switched to the other one, and have been using that since. But I'll admit I don't print a lot, maybe a few pages a week?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also the new printer 100% won't work with your next Windows, either.

But...you're CURRENT printer doesn't work with current (or next) Windows, so that's kind of a moot point, yeah?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Don't bother chasing him, boys. We know where he's going. Look up the address for any girls he's awkwardly talked to in the past three days.

But be careful! The girl might have her...panties... laid out on the bed.

Don't want to walk in unprepared for THAT.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

ergonomics.png

Speaking of, I think that growing up in the 80's and 90's, everyone knew SOME family (or maybe you were that family>) that had one of these kneeling chairs plopped in front of their OG Macintosh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

How is no one commenting on Mr.Wang's full-on Wolf-Man nails?

Seriously... What is the deal with old computer greybeards and having gross-rear end, long nails?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That asset control sticker makes me think this was originally used in a hospital?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

You overestimate people if you think they can’t get scammed by fax. They’ll just hand type the blatantly fake address it tells them to.

This reminded me that the last time I worked out of my company's office like five years ago (I'm contracted out to a different company, so I'm onsite there all the time) there was a single, physical fax machine...and the only faxes that EVER came in were some ancient-looking, photocopied/re-faxed a hundred times over faxes saying stuff like:

"Fly to Tahti for cheap!"

I'm imaging just some SCP type of deal; where an old fax machine that belonged to a travel agency, despite not being hooked up to power or a phone line or having anything in the feed tray, still dutifully sends out the promotional faxes for cheap flights.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's only a few thrift stores near me, but yeah in general their electronics are garbage. Mostly old Wii and PS2 Guitar Hero controllers, random 10-15 year old cable boxes and modems, and like 15" phat-as-hell LCD monitors with only VGA inputs.

There's ONE thrift place that has a decent electronics and computers section. it's a locally owned/operated place, not a chain like Salvation Army/Goodwill/ReStore. Similar name to the last ne, though. It's called ReSOURCE. They have a full computer repair/sales counter inside where they'll fix up donated ones to get decent working desktops and laptops.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's only a few thrift stores near me, but yeah in general their electronics are garbage. Mostly old Wii and PS2 Guitar Hero controllers, random 10-15 year old cable boxes and modems, and like 15" phat-as-hell LCD monitors with only VGA inputs.

There's ONE thrift place that has a decent electronics and computers section. it's a locally owned/operated place, not a chain like Salvation Army/Goodwill/ReStore. Similar name to the last ne, though. It's called ReSOURCE. They have a full computer repair/sales counter inside where they'll fix up donated ones to get decent working desktops and laptops.

Well I got myself curious after my post and went to that store last night. Nothing amazing, but a nice Charlie Kelly-esque tape recorder for all your Serpico needs:

Although $8 is too much for an untested tape recorder that is also kinda filthy.

And a mixing board from the "24 pin iPod connector accessory" era. SURELY Apple will never abandon this standard or form factor, right? I guess you could still have it work with a modern iPhone with a 24 pin to Lightning adapter, but the phone wouldn't dock in that so it would just be all loosey goosey.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The same store I visited had a couple retro PCs out, one for early 2000's/XP stuff, and this bad boy:

Even came with a custom keyboard:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

snorch posted:

Minicomputers, in the museum section

Man, I'm in love with that Digital...thing. I don't know what it is, what it does (or did), but I love the look of it. I want it in my house and to somehow get it to control my Christmas lights, or something.

You can see how stuff like that really inspired set design for shows like Loki and, to a lesser extent, Severance (Severance seems to pull mostly from a few years later, early to mid 80's home and office PC aesthetic.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wasn't there a laptop from around the same time as that one that had a slide out second screen?

I'm trying to find it, but I'm mostly getting new results. The one I'm thinking of is from late aughts/early teens and the second screen slide out but was much smaller than the primary.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Thrift store had an old late 90's PowerMac 8500:

Tag says Tested (I assume tested and passed):

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

credburn posted:

There are a lot of people who ended up with some mp3s I ripped that definitely have ICQ sounds, because the CD burning software that came with ours did not allow you to select individual tracks to rip; you could name them individually but you had to rip the entire album or nothing. And it also took like two fuckin hours to do it, some absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do it. It was quicker to just record-from-audio to a wav and then convert it to an mp3, and unfortunately that did mean some of my songs have weird sounds, or maybe a hiccup in the audio for when I tried to open a bunch of other programs while recording while having like 16 megabytes of RAM.

Sorry to everyone who downloaded Black Blade by Blue Oyster Cult from me. It has like a full minute of warbled audio in the middle because of my methods :(

Couldn't you just, like...close out of ICQ while you were recording the CD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That makes me wonder...why didn't Laserdiscs have artwork on the top like CDs and DVDs? Was there something about the writing/reading of them that necessitated it be the "blank" disc on the top?

Or did some HAVE artwork, but what few I've ever seen just didn't because the studio cheaped out?