Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqpQqdbPMWo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The Kins posted:

I was talking with a friend last night about how Amiga games always seemed to have begging/pleading/threats not to pirate the game embedded in the code...

I remember one of the Amiga Lotus racing games had a very quiet sample that played during the music that said "you will not copy this game".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

I never saw anyone use anything except scissors back in the day.

A friend of mind held a normal hole-punch closed, lined the hole of the floppy up on it and marked on the base of the punch where to hold the disk. Then you just flip it over and punch a perfectly-aligned hole every time with no special tools.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Is it non-sequitur week and no-one told me?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is ROT13 still a thing? Now that so many forums have spoiler tags and Usenet isn't as active as it was, does it get any use, anymore?

I'm not sure if any of the Windows Registry entries are still ROT13 encoded, but they used to be before 7.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

WebDog posted:

I wonder, what's the largest amount of 3.5 floppy disk for a game/program anyone's come across?
On my shelf I have "Martian Memorandum" which came via 10 disks. Google's suggested some of the older Office suites hit around 45 discs.

I was doing tech support back in the mid-90s and vaguely recall installing Office on PCs running Windows 3.11 or similar. It was a stack of floppies as long as my forearm, I think and I did it often enough that I memorised the installation key.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

azurite posted:

For magic eyes, I look at the pattern and cross my eyes, then slowly start to uncross (or relax) them until the columns of the pattern overlap. That's usually when it snaps into view for me. It took me years to figure it out. Same works for stereoscopic images. Cross your eyes, and slowly uncross them until two images overlap and you get a 3D one in the center.

Hope that makes sense.

What's nice bout learning how to see magic eye and stereoscopic images like this is that you can use it to do "spot the difference" games or to quickly find differences in 2 documents. Put them side-by-side and do the eye thing and any differences between them will be semi-transparent or flicker.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Senor Tron posted:

Magic Eye pictures were the best, as a kid they just seemed like pure magic.

Plus once I had got the knack of doing it instantly I would always get a kick out of looking for the patterns in random things like chainlink fences or wallpaper.

Yeah, government carpet was always a nice cheap repeating pattern that you could get depth on.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

woodch posted:

The Apple II gave you so much control over the disk hardware, it was possible to do things like this.

I used to enjoy going through my C64 games with a sector editor, just looking at what was in the code. Their disk format was also neat in that the file table was a linked list so you could point the last sector to the first one and your directory listing would loop forever.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

woodch posted:

I used to go thru sectors on the Apple II, too!

A friend of mine was into the Apple II and he lent me his machine code programmers guide for me to learn assembler. They both used a 6502 so it worked well.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

tater_salad posted:

Okay so all this vcr chat a few pages ago and not one person talked about vcr+.

You'd open up tv guide or your newspaper tv listings and enter in a code and your vcr would be set to record that show.

It was called G-Code here in Australia, and you could get remotes for your VCR that had a barcode scanner built in to read them out of the newspaper.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

EugeneJ posted:

I remember the term "ditto" being used by teachers, but I can't recall ever seeing paper like that - I guess the term outlasted the technology

We called them Gestetner machines at my school, but I've no idea of that is actually the same device or not. Definitely the awesome-smelling purple copies that the kids would get a good whiff of if they were fresh off the presses.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

nigga crab pollock posted:

when i was more into dreamcast homebrew i heard about 800+ megabyte discs, like 90 minute CD-Rs. i know that burnable discs werent always 700mb, they used to be 650 and possibly even smaller when they were older

how did they cram an extra 100mb onto a disc and why dont we use those instead of 80 minute 700mb discs

Related to this, VCD didn't use any of the standard CD error correction that takes up an extra 100Mb or so, so they held more data.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

nigga crab pollock posted:

i didn't even know they had error correction like that but also im p sure they were only 700mb. throwing out the error correction for an extra 100mb sounds exactly like the thing they would do for 800mb discs tho

quote:

By the early 1990s engineers were able to digitize and compress video signals, greatly improving storage efficiency. Because this new format could hold 83 minutes of audio and video, releasing movies on compact discs finally became a reality. Extra capacity was obtained by sacrificing the error correction (it was believed that minor errors in the datastream would go unnoticed by the viewer). This format was named Video CD or VCD.
Using Mode 2 Form 2 allows roughly 800 megabytes of VCD data to be stored on one 80 minute CD (versus 700 megabytes when using CD-ROM Mode 1). This is achieved by sacrificing the error correction redundancy present in Mode 1. It was considered that small errors in the video and audio stream pass largely unnoticed. This, combined with the net bitrate of VCD video and audio, means that almost exactly 80 minutes of VCD content can be stored on an 80-minute CD, 74 minutes of VCD content on a 74-minute CD, and so on.

Germstore posted:

Seconding the no. I've mucked around with converting 264 to 265 and the file size was (I think) halved. I couldn't notice a quality difference although I'm sure I'm not the best at noticing differences.

I had a quick look at 265, comparing it directly to a 264 version of the same video. Swapping between equal frames between the two I noticed a loss of texture in skin or clothing, but this was in a still frame. With the movement of video it was probably unnoticeable but I don't recall.
The 265 file was half the size as you say and that's quite a plus. My current media player can't play that format though, so I'm not moving to it just yet.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Humphreys posted:

I used to be an arcade and pinny dealer and the single greatest moment of that job was being invited to one of Australia's biggest importers/dealers. I'm sure I can find photos (it was pre-social media as a norm) but that weekend at his property and seeing the secret stash collection was amazing. The pinnys were great, so were the arcades (I won a Daytona Dual cab in a raffle) but holy poo poo the 5 bay shed behind the house was completely filled with old cigarette machines, coke machines and a bunch of rare pin/arcade gear he could fit into the main compound.

I used to know a few people in the arcade business and ended up at a small Leisure & Allied party one night. Played the hell out of Dragon's Lair Timewarp, which gives you an idea of how long ago this was.
I would have killed for a Daytona dual. It's something I look out for every now and again now, but the prices in Aus are just crazy. But to be fair, my current house doesn't really have the space.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am actually so paranoid about arcade machines no longer existing in their classic form that after four years of searching, I finally found a guy who managed to find brand new 25" arcade crts. In 2007 when I began getting interested in making a MAME cabinet, you could get these Wells Gardner monitors for $50. Now only a few years later and you're looking at $400 with burn-in.

This is basically what made me not finish my MAME cabinet. The 25" CRT that came with the cabinet itself wouldn't sync to the required rates for various games and the OS, and trying to find a WG or similar multi-scan CRT in Australia was too hard. I'll finish it one day and use an LCD instead, but I'll be dirty about it the whole time.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Skoll posted:

I was wiping a computer for a friend to do a complete reinstall of everything for him that he got from some dubious source and found CP on it. This was around 2006-7 so being an idiot teen I really didn't know what else to do besides recoil in disgust and just go ahead with the DBAN wipe.

That was probably the best course of action anyway, unless you could prove chain of custody back to someone with a couple of teenage kids messing with it in the meantime.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you need a non-gaming mechanical keyboard for office use, I'm a huge fan of this one:
http://matias.ca/quietpro/

A little pricey at $150, but its got that great feel, and it's quiet enough to use in an office.

If it had USB3 ports instead of 2, I'd probably buy it right now.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

we are the Funyuns posted:

The best sounding mp3 player I ever had was an iRiver but it was a glitchy POS that would rarely make it through a couple songs before crashing.

I still use the iRiver E100 I won at a conference nearly 10 years ago. Because the battery wasn't going so well I bought a Fiio M3 to replace it after reading a goon say it was good. Wow, it has a terrible interface and doesn't make any sound when you're fast-forwarding. The font is so small I can't read where it's up to! Back to the E100 I go.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

My solar powered Casio scientific calculator could do far more than I could understand. I still have it and it still works over 30 years later.

I still have my Canon F-73P. The battery is failing but it's a good 30+ years old too. I was pretty pleased with myself when I managed to program it to work out quadratic equations.

Back in my day calculators weren't really a thing you used in high school until we hit the final year or so. Prior to that you were expected to show all the working on any maths that needed doing and expected to know the sin, cos or tan of certain angles off the top of your head. You know, handy skills that will see you through your adult life.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it would be funny to shell out a bunch of money for a HOTAS Warthog and then tape myself exclusively playing 90s rail shooters on it.

drat it. I should have asked if this ran Windows when I flew it. We could have installed an FPS and had a crazy old time.
That's not to say I didn't have an amazing time as it was.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ruflux posted:

I love that Enter magazine cover, if only because the lone FBI agent in a trenchcoat and a fedora walking in some kid's room and flashing his badge thing feels so hilariously outdated nowadays.

As someone in the industry, I can tell you this is pretty much how it is.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

There's no words for how infuriating this was. You pop in a CD, hit burn, then hold your breath for 30 minutes. It gets almost all the way to the end before popping up a "Buffer underrun!" error and ejecting your brand new $2 coaster. :argh:

It was a $30 coaster when I was making them, and that hurt a lot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Back in the active desktop days you could set an animated gif as your background in Windows. I remember grabbing huge gifs off SA wallpaper threads that would slowly cycle through the rainbow over the course of an hour, 15 min, 1 min, etc.

Then MS removed active desktop just because it was full of huge glaring security holes :saddowns:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/431960/Wallpaper_Engine/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Dr. Quarex posted:

Me, 10 seconds into watching this

"IS THIS DEMOSCENE???"
*checks, is*
"I still got it."

Same, but I've got no bad-rear end scene cred beyond still owning a C64 and 2 Amigas. If by "own" I'm allowed in include "in my shed in who-knows-what condition".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

You say that as if the Hardwired demo never existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTnR3FpUEA

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

All the Amigas had internal floppy drives but someone might have had a second external unit for their A500? I think I had one for my A2000 (which had dual internal drives) because it was double capacity or something.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Winty posted:

Remember how there used to be programs that would "shred" your files by overwriting them 7 times or whatever?

I don't think it's possible to recover a file that was overwritten once, even today, without million-dollar equipment. (Right?)

Not even with million-dollar equipment.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

The thing to remember is that SSDs and flash storage are a completely different ball of wax than magnetic media when it comes to secure deletion.

I was responding to the comment about recovering data that has been overwritten. If you are suggesting that when the on-board controller of an SSD writes data over the existing content of a particular cell, that you can get back the data that used to be there then I'm really interested in reading your source. I'm not talking about some system that makes you think something has happened when it hasn't. If you think your hard drive has overwritten data when it actually hasn't I don't think anyone is arguing that you can't get that back.

quote:

Now, it's my understanding that removing the abstraction layer and getting at the leftover data on the raw blocks is not exactly a simple process.

Yeah, you're not kidding. Right behind me is a fume cabinet with a microscope and soldering station that is used to pull chips off boards (mostly phones) to dump their contents, and I'm glad I haven't been trained to use it so I can hand those jobs off to someone else. Dumping chips is easy, but actually decoding the contents, given the proprietary nature of each manufacturer's encoding and encryption schemes, is a nightmare. As well as putting that data in useful order.

Sweevo posted:

My understanding is that hard drives haven't stored single 1s and 0s on the disk for years.
You're right - they never have. 0s or 1s are encoded as a particular pattern of magnetic field changes, and these are often proprietary to each manufacturer. So when you get that disk platter in your spin stand tester or electron microscope, you've no idea what the hell you are looking at until you reverse engineer their system. It's a shitshow from start to finish.

Gromit has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Nov 29, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

DrankSinatra posted:

I think what they were saying is that it's hard to guarantee the flash controller will do what you want. Since most consumer flash controllers essentially implement a log structured file system-style layout, it's hard to guarantee that a specific erase block was wiped. The locations given in logical write requests are completely decoupled from the actual physical location of the write, unlike rotational media.

That's definitely the case, yes, but I was trying to work out why it was directed at me specifically.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

Just pointing out that with SSDs, you have a lot less idea what it's doing behind the scenes and it may well be possible to recover data you thought was overwritten (but actually wasn't), with equipment costing well under a million.

But "it may well be possible to recover data you thought was overwritten (but actually wasn't)" is the same whether it's an SSD or an HDD. No poo poo you can recover data that hasn't been overwritten.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

/\ Exceptionally cool! /\

Pitch posted:

I don't know anything about data recovery but I have a little experience with ferrous metal in an electron microscope: how do you even work with a hard drive platter in that environment, since it's basically nothing but electromagnetic fields?

Yeah, I meant a magnetic force microscope. That side of things is not my area of expertise so it's easy for me to get that stuff mixed up, sorry.

e: Having said that, I did come across this quote:

quote:

Lorentz microscopy uses an electron beam that is fired at the drive platter. Magnetic fields produce an effect known as the Lorentz force. This force deflects the electron beam. These deflections can be measured using a Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM). The SEM will then return the deflection pattern which can be used to "map" the encoded drive image. More recently, Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) have been used for this process. This is a slow process that is economically infeasible for use on most modern hard drives.

[https://digital-forensics.sans.org/blog/2009/01/28/spin-stand-microscopy-of-hard-disk-data]

Gromit has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Nov 29, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yeah. It should have been the old Netscape throbber with each side being slightly different so it animated when you spun it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Powered Descent posted:

Paranoid infosec nerd here, seconding your friend's recommendation. Signal really is the gold standard for secure chat/voice/video. But any of the other encrypted message apps (Telegram, WhatsApp, Wickr, whatever) are almost as good and should be plenty secure for almost anyone.

My colleagues and I use Signal when we are coordinating all our teams on multi-site raids. We don't tend to send anything really sensitive over it, mind you.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Computer viking posted:

Can I ask what sort of raids? Angry men with automatic weapons? Food safety inspections? World of Warcraft?

The first one is more accurate than the last few, but they aren't angry and the weapons are not generally automatic.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Having pirated C64 games was great except for the cases where having the manual would have really helped.

I remember one game in particular where you started the game by having to pilot your spaceship or whatever out of the hangar, and my brother and I could not figure out how to open the loving hangar door. We called the friend we had got the game from, and his answer was "put something heavy on 6." This actually worked, and we eventually figured out the actual key you were supposed to press was F6. :doh:

Raid Over Moscow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33CCXg8B4aM

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

How do you even do bad collision detection on a Commodore 64 :confused:

Sammy Lightfoot was written for the Apple 2 (which is where I played it) so maybe it is an appalling port that didn't use any of the C64 hardware capabilities?

I started to write a game on my C64 back in the day that was going to be a top-down tank game with a scrolling background. I had started learning assembler from my friends Apple 2 6502 manual and the C64 Programmer's Guide. To start easy I was just scrolling the background by a full ASCII character at a time and wrote the assembler to scroll the screen in the 4 compass directions. For testing I wrote a quick BASIC stub that would call my assembler routine to scroll the screen and then use for/next loops to draw the newly-revealed line of characters. Amused me no end to see the screen move all in one go and then watch the slow-as-gently caress BASIC code slowly draw a line of characters like you were on a 300-baud BBS.
Then I got an Amiga and BlitzBasic and started over but didn't get anywhere. RIP Tank Smash 2.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I need to find someone to help me troubleshoot the weirdness in my Yamaha SR-50 amp I use for PC sound. One channel comes and goes, but if I change the surround processing mode (as it's a surround sound amp in reality but I don't use it as one) it comes back (but doesn't sound as good).
Anyway, I've had it repaired before years ago but it recently started happening again and it seems simple enough internally to have a shot myself, but I don't really know where to start. As Metal Geir Skogul mentioned, I've replaced a relay in another Yamaha amp myself that solved a power up issue, but this is something further down the line and unless something has actually blown up I don't know what to test or how.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

doctorfrog posted:

Sony is weirdly good at some things. I have one of their voice recorders from a couple years back...

Alternatively, some of the old Sony voice recorders that were in use in my department this year could only be accessed via software that would only work on Windows XP. I told them to throw them away as it would be better to use their own phone than that pain in the arse.