Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That thing is cool as hell even though I dont really know what it is
Thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

The live performance lacks some of the snap of the music video, but to make up for that, it's a symphony in denim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1NS1vEhSg
I'm gonna need Finland to win Eurovision, this year.

cdc posted:

What in the actual gently caress was that?

I stopped paying attention to Eurovision in the mid 80's, and popular music in general in the mid 90's, so I'm obviously way, way out of touch.

But what the gently caress?

edit: Do people actually enjoy listening to this?

And yes I know, old man yelling at clouds.
Why are you mad at someone living their best life?
It's very authentic eurodance.

Also, here's the official music video, and it's even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIxsEPoS28

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What's up with the current cassette revival? They sound like poo poo

Aesthetic valorization of technology goes hand-in-hand with retrowave and general nostalgia - and given the lovely world we live in, it's little wonder.

Besides, Betamax was the superior format.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Mar 23, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:nice:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Oh your CD changer can take 5 CDs? that's nice

If Pioneer made something like it and I could source it cheap enough, I might be tempted. The only issue is that the Pioneer PD-M400 in my audio stack already takes 6 CDs, and I don't have enough of them to fill it up (all the ones I had got ripped as lossless FLAC).
It does use cartridges, though, and there's also another model that takes 4 6 CD cartridges - since those fit the visual language of the rest of the audio stack, I'd be more tempted by those.

The Pioneer AV components and systems catalogue from 88-89 is exactly the exact design that I like the most, and is retained from the period when Pioneer was still doing discreet component circuitry design - which is the period most of my audio stack is from (the only exception is the GR-555 graphic equalizer, but that's not enabled, just there to look pretty).

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Mar 25, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

I bought a 400-disc changer in 2000 and dutifully entered CD text information by attaching a keyboard to its PS/2 keyboard port(!) and also learned in the process that it will definitely make you never want to change any of the CDs out once you hit 400 because somehow it requires 10x the mental energy to change rather than enter said text

The best part was of course it had the exact same problems with shuffle as anything so despite its roughly 4,000 available tracks it could absolutely play the same song twice in one evening of listening

But I did still love it and probably used it daily until 2004 despite also digitizing my whole collection by that point too, since yes as mentioned it was by then actually plausible to have enough space to keep that many tracks. I even then re-burned everything in higher bit rate at some point in there, getting so greedy, just mad with storage power
The prerennial problem that shuffle gets implemented as random?
Because random can return the same value a lot more than people expect, but shuffle isn’t meant to be random.
It’s meant to pick a random song among the ones that haven’t had as many plays
Only audio player that gets this right is foobar2000.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

F4rt5 posted:

MusicBee is also pretty good at that, if set up correctly and, you know, if you want to use a closed source Windows app.
I’ve spent enough time setting Foobar2000 up in Wine on FreeBSD; I think I’m good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dip Viscous posted:

What was the deal with MP3s that had random Windows and ICQ notification sounds throughout them? How does that even happen inadvertently? Were there people that were like "I really need to rip this sweet track, but I don't have a CD-ROM drive so I'll hold a mic up to a boombox in front of my PC"?

OS’ based on the Chicago kernel permitted soundcards to do something most-often labeler in Windows as “Stereo Mix”, which let you play back music and record it at the same time.
This was used quite often, and is the reason why Exact Audio Copy and subsequently eac.log files tended to prolferate, because regardless of codec choice for the audio encode, it gave some assurance that whoever ripped it didn’t do it lazily.

When Windows NT became the basis of every Windows, and brought its new sound APIs, this all changed - because suddenly, that kind if copyright circumvention by audiocards wasn’t permitted, and about the only thing an audiocard was permitted to do was implement some DSPs and OpAmps to make sound as good as possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CD audio connector uses a DAC in the CD drive to convert the digital signal to a analog signal that can then be mixed by the audio card.
Except audio cards, as outlined in my previous post, don't do mixing anymore because of copy protection.
The most annoying thing about them is that they all used a different connector on the CD drive end.

EDIT: All of this predates both AC'97 and Intel HD Audio, because both are from a time when audio cards had started moving onto the motherboard, instead of being a separate daughterboard (to be clear, most audio cards also adopted them, and thereby made themselves irrelevant, because the majority of people can't tell the difference that a good OpAmp provides).
Intel HD Audio is also the standard that we're still using to this day, and it's from 2004.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Mar 27, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Interestingly enough my soundcard (ESI Juli@) comes with some kinda plugboard software. If i route WDM out to MME in i can record all the sound output as if it were an analog connection between the soundcard input and output.

The soundcard itself is a relic, think it's from 2003 or 2006, but i love it cause it has 192khz 24 bit, midi input and cinch in/outs (or, if i swap the board around, balanced 6,3mm jacks, but my poo poo is all unbalanced)
I have a RME HDSPE AIO with a AI4S-192 AIO and a AO4S-192, which I got after a radio station closed down, and by some miracle, there's even a driver for FreeBSD.
I also have the World Clock Module, but it's on a shelf since I don't have anything to use it for.

Sorry, didn't see your question - yes, something that can do that in hardware and is permitted to do it after the driver signing Microsoft implemented (to further enforce copyright protection, among other things - which they needed for HDCP), is extremely rare.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 18:24 on Mar 27, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Here's a screenshot from a how-to on how to enable stereo mix on Windows 7 for the Intel HD audio chip. I don't think the timeline of your explanation is completely right.

Yes, I'm aware of mmsys.cpl, and it's still in Windows 10 as my screenshots show.

Certain cards still have stereo mix, but it's down to specific models - not a Intel HD Audio thing (because it's a specification, not a chip).

EDIT: Bah, I attached the wrong screenshot - but my point still stands.

EDIT2: Also, it's funny that the example has Realtek HD Audio, because Realtek are so bad at producing soundchips, it's not uncommon for them to not work on FreeBSD, despite nominally being designed against a specification - and most of this is down to them loving up their in-chip signaling and having very poor Q/A.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Mar 27, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm just saying it didn't disappear with the move to NT based Windows versions like XP, it lived beyond that. They redid audio in Windows 8 though, maybe that's when they intentionally broke it.
I'm not about to pull my audio card out of my server and put it into my workstation to make sure, but if memory serves, the Windows 10 driver for the RME HDSPE AIO includes the stereo mix option.
The issue is that you can't just mix audio streams like you used to with the ASICs that were often labeled 'audio processors', so lots of companies stopped including the feature, because it needed a complete redesign, which was much harder to do with DSPs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

minato posted:

I was there for PS3.
Were you one of the Sony developers on the FreeBSD PPC mailing list? :v:
Also, thanks for these stories, they're great :allears:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dewgy posted:

Never having to deal with drivers and runtimes is admittedly a plus.
Microsoft could fix this with packaging, but instead they’re too busy with LLMNNs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TextTV/TeleText is still available in lots of European countries.

Early on in the Covid19 pandemic, it was one of the better ways of getting numbers in Denmark, because the official websites got hammered.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 08:32 on Apr 9, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

It's called televideo in Italy and the public broadcaster provides a web mirror if you wish to experience it

https://www.televideo.rai.it/televideo/pub/index.jsp
Danish Radio does the same thing.

Hilariously, it uses cgi-bin to get to a PE32(+?) Windows executable.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One of my fondest memories of The Party in Aars was getting to nerd out about music with kb_ from Farbrausch in the year they released .the. product.

Most of the other LAN parties I have been to have been much smaller affairs, but also usually involved lugging CRTs up stairs at Universities.
I don't really miss that part.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If I remember right, this was at Insomnia in Birmingham, some time back in the early 2000s - and a strip club sent some of their employees in to hand out cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

credburn posted:

My grandparents refuse to read anything that isn't in comic sans.
Top 1 signs your grandparents might be dyslexic?

There are fonts that might do better, but it hasn't really been studied enough to say anything conclusive, and the studies that have been done aren't very statistically applicable because of low sample sizes and lack of controls.
Still, comic sans is one of the fonts that's known to help dyslexic people.

BlankSystemDaemon has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Apr 25, 2024