Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

pepito sanchez posted:

i played a few of the super classic games posted here when i was a kid but tribes needs a mention

i don't think i was ever so blown away by the massive maps and being able to fly in ships with my team etc. it was 1998 and ran fine on a lovely pc with software graphics acceleration

It's a travesty that the Tribes Vengeance reboot was a commercial failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

whats this?

Warlords, a good game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

I've been looking for this game for a decade!! I kept thinking it was some old weird version of heroes of might and magic or something. I played it once as a little kid on my parents' friend's mac. I thought it was an awesome game, but I don't think it was on PC or at the very least I had no way to play it. I'm so glad to finally know what it was and it feels good to see the screenshots click!! Is there are a way to play in on a modern windows machine or do I need to set up a mac emulator?

Warlords I - III are at the very least available on Archive.org, but I think you can only stream them from there. There were definitely DOS versions, though, so there should be abandonware sites hosting the game,

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Warlords_1990

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently TI employs lobbyists who push their poo poo graphing calculators as pretty much a mandatory accessory for any student being tested on maths. They "sponsor" "education" "organizations" whose sole purpose is to make sure that TI calculators are the only tools permitted at standardized tests. They also pay for endorsements from the organizers of said tests.

It's literally a racket.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Germstore posted:

My wife's TI-83 still works and for certain things it's faster than using a PC. It's hard to overstate the speed advantage of having a keyboard designed for math. Plus it's a lot easier to work with a piece of paper and a calculator lying flat next to it than working with a paper and a laptop. It would be nice if they were more modern and not as expensive, but the idea that there's no purpose to them at all is bullshit in my opinion.

Sure enough, but there are better and cheaper models / brands than IT. Or at least there were back when it was relevant to me, maybe other companies just gave up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

I use a Lenovo ThinkPad at the office because I can take it home/anywhere if necessary.

At home I have desktop for gaming that I originally bought as individual components and assembled sometime in the late 90ies. Ever since I have been upgrading parts whenever necessary. Of course, there is none of the original parts in there any more, the oldest part being the case from ~2000. Which will go next. It is just too big. If you are halfway capable, there is no need to ever buy a complete desktop system. Sourcing your own stuff is almost always cheaper and you don't have to compromise. Though I hear from friends that may be considerably more difficult in the US than in Germany.

Are you kidding? The US is the holy grail of building your own PC since the marketplace is more competitive and the VAT much lesser than anywhere in Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I guess it's just a matter of knowing the right place to shop, but ultimately I guarantee you that you can build the same computer in the US cheaper than in Germany, regardless of if you use online retailers (I don't know why that would be a bad option, it's not like you are going to be able to examine the quality of the Intel processor you are buying).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Watch good movies without action scenes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Germstore posted:

There are also good movies with action scenes.

nah :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

error1 posted:

It's funny how much people hate frame interpolation, a technology that is actually very cool and good and entirely optional. It's only a shame that there isn't a quick button on the remote to enable/disable it.. you usually have to dig down into menus and it tends to stay off because of that for most people.

It is true that the interpolation and added clarity will make bad acting and budget special effects EXTREMELY visible and it removes some of the "movie magic" but if you have it enabled on a big budget 3d animated movie it looks loving stellar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yN3od3nie8

It's also very neat how it can often interpolate console games that are locked to 30fps so that it looks like they are running at 60 or 120fps. You will need to deal with 2-3 frames of delay though so it only works well for third person action games like GTA, uncharted, assassins creed etc.

Actually it still looks like garbage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

error1 posted:

Yeah gently caress high framerates, that's why the N64 was the best console all the games were so cinematic!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGI-gIMSQMQ

That's also why I play quake on my 486 instead of a pentium :colbert:

if you dont understand the difference between video game and movie picture processing, just refrain from trying to contribute.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
yeah, movies like Blade Runner that were so ugly compared to modern masterpieces like SpiderMan 511, helped immensely by the soap opera quality

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jesus Christ posted:

Did they even bother doing Hobbit 2 and 3 after the garbage of the first?

no, they just re-released the first movie two times and nobody bothered to check up on that since nobody paid to wathc that crap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Buttcoin purse posted:

When you sell someone one of these systems, you just know you're also going to be able to sell them 24 oxygen-free gold-plated Monster cables to go with it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wayne curr posted:

Speaking of lovely old roleplaying games.
Is there a reason Second Life hasn't been replaced with something less lovely and bugged out the rear end? The game's nearly 13 years old.

Remember when people claimed all the important companies would ahift their business to Second Life, with online showrooms and interactive events?

lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

I like the ribbon :saddowns:

Me too, it's not really functionally different from classic menus, except it has the most often used tools made more accessible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Honestly the screenshot button is handy because it allows you to capture and save a cropped selection without using Irfan View or something, from inside the application you are already using. Unfortunately I know idiots who use it to send me pictures of text paragraphs or filenames because they think it's easier to use than Ctrl-C/V for some reason and don't care that I can't select the text from a jpg or whatever those images are.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Windows 10 is great, and I hope Microsoft will commit to it in the long term.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

laserghost posted:

No one likes to be ignored, and still using the smartphone is perceived like willfull detachment from surrounding people.

I'm reading Generation 64, a really great book about Commodore's reign in Sweden and people being influenced by it, and on nearly every page there is a mention that computers were often another way to meet and socialize with other geeks, forming computer clubs and demoparties, just to know new people with shared interest of toying with the computer. Nowadays everyone has a computer in their pocket, social media are all the rage, yet it seems there are more trouble because of it.

When having a computer was a quirk of some hobbyists, you could socialize around it. Nowadays it's not a hobby, it's not interesting, it's just the norm, and you can drown in the sheer volume of information being exchanged on a casual basis.

Also in the past you had to physically exchange information if you wanted to deal with fellow enthusiasts. Even if you just mailed floppies around or whatever, it was still more intimate and social than the fully electronic communication you have today.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

You're just getting old. If you had been born in the 1800s you'd be ranting about how those darn newspapers are ruining society because everyone on the train has their face buried in one instead of going out of their way to entertain you having real conversations.

This is the worst argument ever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

Why? If people aren't staring at their phones, they will be reading a newspaper or a book or silently looking out a window. People don't talk to each other and never have.

A book or a newspaper isn't a bottomless rabbit hole of data.

Though my point was that dismissing an argument just because something similar was said in the past is lazy and dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

"Stupid millennials buried in their phones" is a stupid argument made by old people who hate anything new. People have been finding ways to ignore the people around them since the dawn of time. Complaining that the current young people use the latest technology to do what everyone has always done is idiotic. Technology isn't to blame for societies ills any more than the written word itself is.

People and technology, you must be critical of the latter if you want to inspire a critical approach in the former.

Also let starwar drop the truth bomb

8 track betamax posted:

Hey maybe there is a reason literally everyone around the world, regardless of age, ethnicity, culture, and creed complain about how everybody got they noses glued to a telephone screen. Maybe there is something about that we find repellent, in how it is fundamentally altering the way we communicate with each other. Maybe people find these changes unpleasant and undesirable.....but we can't change it, we are being swallowed up in the gaping maw of change and we ourselves are part-and-parcel of this very change. Maybe... just maybe.. the world isn't the better for being able to instantly google image search a picture of rasputin's weird penis or being able to play anger birds or watch a movie or whatever.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

When my grandma died, my dad went on a quest to unearth all the hidden relics of her life, all the old photos from her youth, all the scraps of genealogy he could scrape together. He found boxes of old letters and postcards that she and her friends had habitually sent each other throughout their first few decades. Without exception they all went like this:

This was the midwest in the 30s but still. Boxes and boxes and boxes

Of course these letters were banal as gently caress. But in the end you got functional long-distance friendships. With forums and Twitter you get - and yes, this is a hyperbole! - goonmeets, shitposters and trolls.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

My mom came to me saying her chromebook had some message saying to call microsoft or she'd lose all the data (that isn't even) on her chromebook. I quickly closed the tab and installed uBlock Origin for her. I guess they don't even bother trying to figure out what OS the computer is running and just assume it's windows. She got the same message from her macbook as well. It's those stupid facebook quiz websites.

lol if you think most people know what corporation is responsible for their OS.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tater_salad posted:

Okay so all this vcr chat a few pages ago and not one person talked about vcr+.

You'd open up tv guide or your newspaper tv listings and enter in a code and your vcr would be set to record that show.

I thought it was the pinnacle of technology.

Speaking of TV stuff, do stations still broadcast teletext, or has it been totally abandoned?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Linux used to be good on the desktop but then terrible nerds got into "developing" it and now it's quite literally useless. Back in the late 90s and early 00s a nice desktop linux would run fine on older hardware and that was its main "selling" point.

I liked Linux back when jocks were making it between games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, by a beyond infinitesimal subsector of professionals out there. The new wave of VR is not going to change anything.

The new wave of VR has already died out, there have been virtually no sales in the past few months. It's fitting that it got brought up in the tech relics thread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I mean the issue isn't "make a collection of pixels in the vague approximation of a shape that you can dump full with the paint bucket". People need to use pseudo-vector tools for subpixel fidelity and lossless editing (changing colors, separate stroke and fill attributes, etc).

If GIMP still doesn't have that then it means it basically hasn't made any progress since I last gave up on it around 1998.

Shapes in GIMP are effectively stored in paths, and are separate from whatever shapes you actually visually render on a layer.

You can manipulate paths as pseudo-vectors, but you need to re-draw the path if you want the change to manifest on the bitmap.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Fwiw, "application" or "app" has always been the preferred term in Apple land, at least back to the beginning of the Mac. I think "program" was fairly common in the Apple II era, but they standardized it for the Mac as it was less ambiguous.

See also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacApp

E: when they first appeared, I thought "Java applets" had something to do with Apple

App
Apple
Application

I can't believe I'm such a huge moron I never noticed until now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mechanism Eight posted:

Talking of British retro tech youtubers, I don't recall if we've discussed Nostalgia Nerd here? Like LGR, 8bit-guy and Techmoan he's one of the few tech youtubers who creates long-form content worth watching, imo. eg.

The ZX Spectrum Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9dHI6EwWTU

The Amiga Story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3DJF7MbMU

Is the name "Nostalgia Nerd" like one of those Asylum rip off movies designed to confuse people into watching them on accident?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The people making these pointless "nostalgia consoles", also known as hunks of plastic that are going to rot unused in someone's drawer as monuments to pollution and excess consumption, deserve a place in hell.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love brands

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There will be demand for floppies as long as the US keeps its nuclear arsenal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sloil?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
netbook

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

have they stopped calling macbook pro ripoffs "ultrabooks" yet?

lol @ the idea that anybody is ripping off macbooks anymore

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dell is very much a thing among corporate clients. At least in Europe.

I don't think I've seen a consumer level Dell in yer, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of radios this seems to have been fairly popular since I see it on TV every once in a while. The one I have used to be my grandmother's and it's cool because it's got three (mechanical) presets:

It's also got inputs for phono and deck (so, basically anything, it isn't as if the amp knows what's connected) and an extra speaker to make it stereo.

My grandpa has the same set, or a nearly identical one. Still used it in the 2000s.

THat's my story, thanks for listening.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The art of making a useful desktop music player died with Winamp

I need something to play my loving mp3 and have a play / pause button

I don't want something that takes up the whole screen, tries to build libraries of everything on my disc and show me a novel and a´picture slideshow about the song I'm listening to. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

History Comes Inside! posted:

What will hipsters be saying in 20 years when it’s CDs turn to be the best format again

You can really tell the difference between a stock CD and a CD with a custom edge trim. Also don't forget to add alignment crystals to the laser head, it really brings up the warmth hidden in the depth of the pits.