Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread reminded me of http://attrition.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

Careful, that is the only way to load the CNC machine’s base OS that enables the DOS-based floppy reader. They tried to replace it in 2003 but it literally has to be that tape deck. If anyone shuts it off we’re hosed without Ol’ Squeaky.

This is hilariously omnipresent in manufacturing.

I used to work for what was at the time the largest convertible top manufacturer in the world (most car manufacturers outsource the manufacture of convertible tops). The entire assembly line for all of the tops was run by a single DOS computer. The company that made the software that it ran no longer supported it as of like 20 years prior and there wasn’t even anyone who worked at the vendor who knew it anymore.

Being the resident “old computer guy” I was tasked with fixing the ancient DOS computer when it stopped working. Sometimes this was as simple as a reboot, sometimes it was hardware related (of course all the hardware interfaces were proprietary), sometimes it was a mystery.

Anyway, most all of the manufacturers ran a JIT inventory system, meaning we made and shipped he amount of tops this week that they planned to build into convertible cars next week, on demand, essentially. What this meant is every time that machine went down I had the various reps for the different manufacturers standing around watching the clock. If it went over certain delivery times for instance they would have to call say, VW headquarters and tell them they would have to postpone Cabrio manufacturing for a day next week. The timetables were all insanely tight.

I personally apologize to anyone who had to wait an extra week or whatever to take delivery of their drop top lambo in the early 2000’s, my bad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I love things like this. "Sorry, you can't have your $200,000 top of the line super car because a DOS computer isn't working."

It really was amazing any of it worked at all. Just look at this list:

Volkswagen
Audi
Porsche
Mercedes
BMW
Lamborghini
Nissan
Mitsubishi
Ford
Chevy
Chrysler

Those are just the ones I remember. All of those manufacturers convertible tops, run by one ancient 486.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There was mobile internet before the iPhone, friend.

There was, but it was garbage. The iPhone really forced people to not make terrible mobile sites

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: AGP Chat, my favorite video card I've owned to this date was an AGP nVidia Riva 128, my first 3d accelerator card, and my introduction to GLQuake, Half Life, all that stuff.

That card got regular driver updates far, far beyond what I would consider reasonable, well into the TNT's lifecycle. nVidia really did good by their early adopters. That card combined with my P2-300 Dell was a combo that served me well for years of gaming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats odd, the only thing I remember being a problem was there was one driver release that introduced a one-pixel wide seam between all the textures, so the skybox would show through in 3d games. They fixed that in the next release though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those Madcatz Dreamcast controllers are surprisingly good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chairman Mao posted:

I don't know who you're trying to fool but that's a drat lie.

Maybe I should qualify?

The stick is good

The dpad is bad

The buttons and triggers are ok.

So if you want a better stick and don’t care about the dpad, they’re good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RandomFerret posted:

Except nobody cared about the stick and everybody wanted a better dpad since the only thing the dreamcast was good for was arcade fighters

Well this is just wrong.

I can’t speak to QA but the two I have are fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made it through 3 of my 5 years of college on a PII-300 Dell with 64mb of RAM. I ran office, played games, surfed, did everything on that old POS.

I just bought a windows 10 tablet for $60 the other day with a quad core atom processor in the GHZ range and 2gb of RAM. A $60 tiny thin windows PC that fits in the palm of my hand is orders of magnitude more powerful than the PC that took me through college.

Moore’s Law never ceases to be amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see that mentality a lot on my local Facebook marketplace.

GAMING PC, WAS $2000 AND TOP OF THE LINE WHEN NEW

Turns out it’s a first gen i5 with 4gb of DDR3 and an old video card and they still want $900 for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plinkey posted:

netbooks were pretty close, but that was more of an obsolete thing. they were cool and worked for like 12 months until normal cpu's caught up on power and price to make a notebook with a 9 or 10" screen to really not make that much sense, and they sucked at running windows 7.

I had one that it was great for a little laptop to take to class and browse the internet or take a few notes.

I will say I just picked one of these up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYZEPGP

Not quite a netbook, but its really pretty capable for what it is, and its drat tiny for a Windows 10 machine. Its good for couch surfing and doing windows-y things that an ios device cant. I like it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah old people hold on to media way past it’s prime. I remember my grandma having and using and 8-track in her car in the late 90’s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Randaconda posted:

I have a lot of nostalgia for cassette tapes. We were pretty poor, so I used to record songs off the radio I liked until I had the tape full then go dig up another blank tape. :yaycloud:

:same:

I also remember just leaving a tape recording, hoping I would catch the song I wanted, then recording from that tape onto the actual mixtape once I got the song I wanted.

I got really good at understanding which song was which in fast forward.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i still use irc and have heard of zero of those services

being old as gently caress kicks rear end

This is the “I don’t even own a tv” of messaging posts, but you topped it off with “I dont even know what a tv is”. Congrats

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mods

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonz posted:

Found a SEGA Naomi 2 arcade CPU board at Bookmans Mesa a few days ago; all it needs is a power supply.

So, y'know, if you're interested in running SEGA arcade games on the original hardware, this is the stuff for you. The 200 dollar stuff for you.

$200 is actually a pretty good price I think

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It did. It’s called battle royale

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

40 000 smelly shits on the Internet

Its weird if you sign your post in the middle of the post

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is a good SDR that can tune the entire spectrum you’d want to tune and also is not insanely expensive? I have an NESDR but it has some blind spots.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dairy Days posted:

I'm assuming by "entire spectrum" you mean below the range of the rtlsdr tuners, in which case the cheapest option without piss poor performance is to buy an upconverter, which will perform entirely adequately given you don't have any FM radio stations in your back yard. You can tune there without buying anything if you use a modified driver that enables direct sampling but there is going to be tons of spurious mixing products and aliasing because the dongle was never made with HF reception in mind. There really aren't any super cheap all in one devices that do dc to ghz well, the closest thing is the sdrplay RSP1A which does everything to 2ghz for about 100 dollars, but if you want more than what it offers the cost goes up exponentially

Yep, I'll stick with my NESDR

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the story that gave this thread its title? I've always wondered

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, that’s..........cool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mousepractice posted:

My first saxophone and my first motorcycle were made by the same company!

(can an instrument count as a relic? I don't think so, the YAS-62S was a good saxophone and it lasted me a long while)

I have no idea if this is a relic or not, since it was actually my cousin's and I only rode it a handful of times

The FZ6 is the saxophone of motorcycles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lazlo Nibble posted:

It’s DEC BASIC-PLUS. “\& = CHR$(155%)” means the sequence “\&” in a Global Mail file represents the ESC character with the high bit set, which is used (in place of the usual “ESC [“) to start a VT100 control command. It let you use cursor controls, graphic characters, LED controls, etc. in messages.

Edit: Basically so you could create this kind of thing:

https://youtu.be/-MbeSMu-6Gg

I like that the animation got faster as the truck got more and more offscreen. Its mindblowing that even that computer was struggling to render that quickly

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ah, I missed that detail, I assumed it was a local monitor

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chillbro Baggins posted:

In other news, I still tweet by texting 40404 because their phone app sucks.

Also I miss phones with slide-out physical keyboards.

Lol what on both points.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

some Dench fry main g Ganges I dufeas?

Please don’t sign your posts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mavicas are hilarious relics of the time when digital cameras were in their infancy but yeah they didn’t take good photos. They also took video!! Which is exactly as bad as it sounds.

Remember the weird era of digital backs for film cameras? I kind of want to find one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Could be worse. Our laundry room has a "please don't pee in the floor drain" sign.

FYI everyone still pees in that room, except now its in the washers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, so like modern blu rays?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LGR is great background audio. His voice is soothing AF

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Cables can be bent, but most people don't realize that they're still made of copper, which can be broken. In engineering there's a "minimum bend radius," this is literally the smallest radius you can bend these cables before they're damaged. The MBR is dictated by the diameter of the cable, the bigger the cable, the bigger the MBR.

There is literally no need for a bend that large on a cable that small, let alone that much isolation for simple audio.

The MBR is usually so small that you couldnt reach it with your hands anyway. The copper work hardening is a concern over like a million bends, but yeah, either way, those cables are useless

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imagine if your hobby was riding motorcycles and you owned the most expensive motorcycle available. Then after every ride where you commute back and forth to your job, you went on a forum and swore up and down that you went to outerspace on your bike today, and yesterday you rode it through the center of an active volcano.

Thats what being an audiophile is like

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nVidia Riva 128 still the best video card ever

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a big directory of MP3’s but most of them are late 90’s bitrates, Untagged, and otherwise garbage.

I just use Apple Music. I yell at Siri about what I want to listen to and she for the most part brings it up correctly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YouTube really is the only actually good streaming service. The artists get their cut, every song is there, and if it gets taken down, someone will reupload it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Queen Combat posted:

Does anybody else remember a late-night commercial from like 2005-2007 where someone was on their phone trying to find a music file at a house party, and out of nowhere a black guy in a white leather suit and a motorcycle helmet with a lightning bolt zapped into the frame with a puff of smoke and organized his library? It was super low budget and awkward, and I never could figure out if it was a real product or service. Maybe on Adult Swim? Or maybe a fever dream.

Yes, that was definitely a thing. I can’t remember the name of the software though. Very much a product of its time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fallom posted:

soma.fm man!

I run the mission control station while I play Elite Dangerous, it’s fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My university had all the dorms connected by hubs (lol) for the first year i was there. I very quickly downloaded a piece of software that crawled the various subdomains looking for windows shares.

I got so much good stuff (and also some very :gonk: stuff)