Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

doctorfrog posted:

I remember one of these crawlers I used at a job around 2000, and discovered that our IT guys had a ton of music and videos being openly shared with folder labels and text files accompanying them that basically said, “Share but don’t tell the suits!”

Same! Our campus IT department at least had them under a passworded share, but I worked in the campus IT department so it didn’t matter.

Eventually over a summer they upgraded the networking to switching and routing and you couldn’t just troll my network places but you could still access stuff by IP so what started happening was everyone who shared stuff had a text file of all the IP’s they knew of so we could all still share.

:allears: early 2000’a networking was awesome.

Also I ran a counterstrike server for campus wide LAN play and a Direct Connect server after Napster got blocked (I was also banned by Metallica from Napster)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The pro move was running Windows NT for Alpha

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To be fair, pre-X macOS was garbage.

E: holy poo poo, I found it, the most 90’s tech article https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/windows-nt-powerpc-no-more

Beve Stuscemi has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 1, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I worked with a guy who preached the megahertz myth right up until the death of the last G5, and he was also very sure that thunderbolt would be the dominant form factor over USB3. He believed it to the point we had a wager going with money on it.

He got fired before the time was up on the wager.

He was pretty great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sort of surprised the actual is that high

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My favorite non-x86 line is still the Sun Sparc systems. They were so good and a pleasure to use. Too bad they never took off

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LMAO Sony just literally sold everyone a Raspberry Pi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Behold, the best thing about the Playstation Classic: Tim Rogers review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtDSEXPeaw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seeing Motocross Madness reminded me how much I loved all of the "* Madness" series. Midtown Madness 1 and 2 were great fun. I remember playing Monster Truck Madness online against other people in the MSN Gaming Zone or whatever it was called.

THAT reminded me that I also owned a paid copy of Kali (http://www.kali.net/) that I would use to play Duke Nukem against other idiots on dial up over a faked IPX connection across the planet. It sucked but its all I had.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Old Sun hardware was great, I wish it was still around in some form

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

Check in about 5 billion years.

He’s talking about the computer, fyi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My pint is that the sun computer will last 5 billion years. drat goons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The hilarious part is the the snes classic runs PlayStation games better than the PlayStation classic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Looks like John Romero made you his bitch. Suck it down.

:vince:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is a shameful tech relic of my own. When I got my first computer (a baller Gateway 2000 Pentium 75) I didn’t understand how the directory structure and hard drive worked, but I loved playing doom.

I knew how to install doom, because it tells you in the manual, so for like the first month in order to play doom I would dutifully navigate to the CDROM drive and install doom, re-set up the sound and all that just to play it.

Realizing I could just run it from the hard drive was :psypop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to do dial up support in the early 2000’s, precisely when the only people with dial up were old people and people who live in the boonies.

It was as bad as you imagine.

I went round and round with a lady for 3 days trying to get her dial up working. Finally she has the thought to tell me that her computer was in a flood the day before her dial up quit working

:cripes:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barudak posted:

Why is everything, including the camera itself, spinning constantly. Its like a visual whirligig ride

Im sorry you were never into the demoscene

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerd.

Release the photos you cowards

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We had a black and white tv that was older than me that lived far into the late 90’s. It was our primary tv in the early and mid 80’s, relegated to spare when we got a color tv in the early 90’s and finally died in the late 90’s two weeks after my parents finally let me move it into my room :mad:

I had two whole glorious weeks of watching Conan and letterman in black and white while I went to bed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just use Waze people. Geeze

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rand McNally 4 life

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You Am I posted:

Got my old PII system finally running with a Nvidia FX 5200 in it and Vibra (OEM Sound Blaster) 16 sound card. Grabbed a SB Audigy sound card to put in later on. Running Windows 98SE happily at the moment

"Riva 128 GLQuake" is an aesthetic that is permanently burned into my mind

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Randaconda posted:

This is the model of 960 I have, and there's all kinds of room.

I have one of these with a Core2Quad for a workbench computer and I love it because it has about 30 USB ports

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any kid who grew up in the film era probably caught poo poo from their parents for wasting film. You had to make drat sure the shot was good and you actually wanted it before you pressed the button.

When I got my first digital camera it was so cool to just take pictures of everything and only keep what you wanted.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to use notepad++ for everything but I switched to Sublime Text recently

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nano supremacy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you still get and run the space cadet pinball that came with Windows 98 (I think) and use it on Windows 10?

Or is it locked in Windows legacy hell?

I really miss that game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

My MS Office gripe right now is that it produces a mouse input polling bug when you try to drag its windows around, causing sluggish movement

Ugh I get this too and its super obnoxious. Seems to be new for Office 365

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vanagoon posted:

Someone is way too into DOS and it's many variations:

http://16bitos.com/start.htm

I imaged my OG DOS 6.22 disks because I figured they'd be hard to come by someday. Still have those images somewhere.

DOS is cool and good and deserves to be archived properly, IMO

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please do not crosspost from your livejournal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

best space slight sim is still the one buried inside excel 95

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

barbecue at the folks posted:

gently caress you for reminding me that Windows XP used to require third party software to get Wi-Fi working, now I have flashbacks to how muchly that sucked. I switched to a new MacBook (Intel OS X 10.5) in 2007 and I remember being blown away by how simple poo poo like connecting to a wireless network... just happened? USB things just worked? For a while OS X really was a whole different world from Windows, slick, fast, and carefree.

Its crazy how fast this stuff changes. A decade ago I would never have recommended anyone buy a non-mac laptop. The clunky, bad PC designs combined with the death throes of Vista were just horrible.

Nowadays Windows 10 and OSX are pretty much on par for everything and PC manufacturers are finally taking cues from apple and not designing horrendous blobs of poo poo.

A Surface pro running Windows 10 is basically the ideal general purpose computer, and I'll fight anyone over it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chairman Mao posted:

Windows 10 is a long hot spray of cat diarrhea to the face. It's basically unusable.

Sorry about your obviously ridiculously edgy edge case, I guess :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe im just a pleb but Win10 never gets in my way when im using it, which is pretty much my benchmark for an OS not being a POS

Also I'm very happy that Windows 10 carries on the fine Windows tradition of "something loud, unexpected and unskippable will definitely happen during the OS install" with the Cortana screen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chairman Mao posted:

I don’t know what your standards for usability are but you deserve better.

My standards are "it doesnt actively and regularly bother me" which windows 10 does not. OSX doesnt either, so its a wash for me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get the gripe about windows 10 settings, as its stradding the line between an OSX-like control panel and the old XP/Vista/7 control pane.

I find that between hitting the start key and just typing what I want, or right clicking on the start menu and picking the big hitters, I get where I need to go pretty fast

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

barbecue at the folks posted:

I believe it's a holdover from the good old days when teenage nerds like us could define their entire identity through the OS they used. Micro$oft Winblows, am I right? :smug:

I think you mean MiKKKro$haft

The Fool posted:

I wish BeOS survived.

BeOS was really, really good. I wish it were mroe than a pet project these days :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

There's always Haiku. (Unless that's already the pet project you're talking about, of course.)

https://www.haiku-os.org/

It is, but I was reading and realized haiku had a recent release. The first one since like 2012, so that’s something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also appreciate windows 10’s ability to randomize MAC addresses to get around hotel WiFi fuckery