Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Negrostrike posted:

I played some poo poo like that back in the day. The game seemed texture-mapped though but I can barely remember how it looked like. The googles were indeed uncomfortable like hell.

In the UK we had a game show based on that stuff. It was called Cyber Zone and Craig Charles presented it, and it pretty much consisted of two players collecting items and going to the middle of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love the Techmoan dude for being just an ordinary British person with a weird (and probably financially ruining) obsession for old AV tech, acting like all British men with boring odd hobbies do: with a serene ironic detachment from the outside world and wry irony towards everyone who happens to think what they do is stupid. For most Americans it seems to come off as contempt, for me it's a soothing balm after the forced positiveness and feigned excitement and OH LOL WACKINESS of American youtubers.

The only thing that surprises me is that he doesn't store all his stuff in a garden shed, specifically one constructed to be one square centimeter smaller than he'd require planning permission for.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am confused, because most American YouTube CONTEEEEENT CREATOOOOORS that I can think of are incredibly irritating for the opposite reason, tying themselves in absolute verbal knots trying to one-up bragging about how much they hate something/how horrible something is when most things they claim to loathe are barely worth an "eh, that is not so great I guess." I realize the Angry Video Game Nerd probably innovated a lot of the unnecessary and almost-always-boring rhetorical bombast in this particular genre. But it definitely extends outside the realm of gaming videos.

Granted I pretty much never watch things unrelated to computers and gaming so maybe you are complaining about American YouTube Celebrities (ahaha!) writ large, in which case I have little useful to say.

The only ones I really watch are LGR and the 8 Bit Guy who are both pretty even keeled. 8 Bit Guy's retrobrite fetish aside.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I stopped watching 8-bit guy when I noticed he has youtubes of what kinds of guns he likes to carry around in public.

e: :can:

I mean, he IS in Texas.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Oh man, now Skoll is here. Great job everyone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Humphreys posted:

The active is for the amount of times you have to get off the couch to change or flip discs (well as far as early movies that is)

We had a laserdisc player back in the early 80s, and I think you generally had to only flip the disc once about halfway through. Mind you, we only had three movies (Star Wars, Airplane! and Raise the Titanic), and I was only allowed to watch one of them, so I could be wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Today I took my ten year old son here:

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

And it was loving great. They had everything you would have seen in a classroom in the 80s including a ton of BBC micros, an RM Nimbus 186, a bunch of Acorns of different stripes and even a BBC master Domesday Book think that came with a laserdisc reader. They also had a really good selection of consoles from the intellivision up to the Gamecube including an Amiga CD32 running Chaos Engine and a ln Amstrad GX4000 which has the single most unpleasant gamepad it has ever been my misfortune to try out. Also a ton of arcade machines on free play including a couple of Neo Geo ones with multiple games to select.

If you're in the UK and within moderate driving distance I heartily recommend it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think with video stores there was something about actively deciding you wanted to watch a movie and having to go somewhere to get it that made it somehow more special. Like, it's great that I can just sit on my sofa and decide I'm going to rent a movie direct through about five different services I can access on my TV, but having to actually drive to the store made it more of an occasion. I both miss it and don't at the same time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If your MP3s are from before napster, they are probably poo poo quality and you should get new ones.

Hey, screw you man, my complete Weird Al (not Weird Al really) library is in perfect 64kb quality!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I seem to recall that the main purpose for Shockwave was making interactive content for CD-ROMs.

MULTIMEDIA!! :goshawk:

Flash made it possible to get animations and poo poo on your website that made it look like a cd-rom menu.

The best use of flash remains the Homestar Runner site.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

The transition to YouTube really diminished the whole experience since you can't really do Easter eggs on it. And in the case of HSR, flash navigation managed to be approximately good, although it still took forever to navigate over dialup. I think going through the Strong Bad archive was when I first realized you can just change the number in the URL if it's sequential, avoiding the long reload time for the menu.

Yeah, there was a lot of fun to be had in hovering your mouse around to find the hidden stuff. I have the email DVDs and it's really not the same.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spog posted:

You are Techmoan and I claim my five pounds.

This was my first thought also. Why are the obsolete hi fi antics of a man from Lancashire so soothing to watch?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

WebDog posted:

I think England still has a few leftovers of odd censoring. Namely with things like trailers. I recall the prequel films had issues with Obi getting headbutted and Clone Troopers holding guns to people's heads.

Headbutts seem (or at least seemed) to cause huge problems. The Matrix was edited to remove headbutts which makes a bit of the subway fight (the bit where Smith catches Neo's arms, pins them at his side and then Neo repeatedly headbutts him) look really weird.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

And I believe that was when I was happily running Windows ME for a few years. How did I make it this far in life when I rolled so hard with all these tech relics

I swear, I ran windows 2000 all the way up until about 2008. I had to find fan patches to get some games to even let me install them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

I last ran Windows 2000 2 weeks ago :colbert: Admittedly I'm just using it for stuff it can do easily like running old documentation viewers, and not fighting with it to make it run stuff it doesn't really support. Now I see people online take your kind of struggle to the extreme for entertainment purposes, e.g. getting Windows 10 to run software designed for Windows NT. I for one don't look back fondly on downloading software but finding Windows 95 wouldn't run it because it required 98 or higher :saddowns:

To this day I still don't know why I persisted throughout the entirety of the period where Windows XP was sold without upgrading to it. Sheer bloody mindedness.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

XP had a "classic" theme (or something to that effect).

Was this anything like how you could run the old Windows 3.0/3.11 program manager on Windows 95 if you didn't like the start bar based interface?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

that's the best drat mp3 player I ever had, and it had a mic so you could record your classes or whatever too.

I had a Creative Zen Xtra with 20gb of space that was built like a tank and lasted me YEARS until it died about two/three years ago. Creative made good poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

I have one of these. Any idea if you can access files on it on windows 10?

I for sure had it working on 7 but I can't for the life of me remember what I did to make it work.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

stevewm posted:

Given that there is no vintage computing thread, this seems to fit here...

Some interesting new discoveries concerning de-yellowing/Retrobrighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P1OVj0IcqY

Turns out heat is likely the main culprit that caused the problem in the first place. And you can reverse it by setting the item in direct sunlight for a couple days with nothing applied to it! Heat being the culprit would also explain why it seems like things like power bricks usually seem to have yellowed much worse than the device they powered.

I am actually going to try this next week when I have time. I have a Mac IIc I used the peroxide method on, but it was short lived. 2 years later and its nearly back to the same state it was before the peroxide treatment.

Well this is going to cut down the runtime on the 8-bit guy's future videos.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

USB and SATA has made fuckin with computers an unrecognizable activity compared to 30 years ago

The biggest change in loving with computers came about when they introduced heat sinks that you didn't need to attach by using a flat bladed screwdriver to push down a catch. "You mean I don't have to be constantly afraid I'm going to slip and jam this thing through the motherboard?"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Like most things involving flat screwdrivers, they actually work pretty well if you have some properly fitting ones instead of the cheap wedge shaped stuff. It's still good that those clips are gone because normal people don't own large sets of good quality flat screwdrivers, but they didn't have to suck.

Oh I'm sure there were better ways than how I did it at the time, I was a dumb teenager and the internet wasn't what it is now for finding advice on stuff like that. At least I didn't assemble my pc on a nylon carpet like a friend of mine did, that was an expensive lesson for him.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Up to when I was about 14, the RM Nimbus seemed to be the computer of choice for my local education authority. It looked like a PC, it ran a version of DOS, but it wasn't quite PC compatible (and apparently it's one of the few computers that used the 80186). My school had a computer room with about fifteen of them in as well as the odd one scattered around in classrooms. On reflection, having a whole school using 186 based PCs through the early to mid 90s was perhaps a bit odd.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sweevo posted:

My school was exactly the same. They were just starting to replace the Nimbuses when I left in 1996.

I was in a county that still had a middle school -> upper school system, so my middle school still had the Nimbuses when Ieft in 94 (as well as one "multimedia" pc with a 386, Soundblaster and a CD ROM drive), but the upper school had actual modern stuff like 486 DX/2s on an actual network instead of RM's weird proprietary thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Man, speaking of tech relics, how about the myriad of wacky alt-keyboard styles from the 90s because everyone was terrified that carpal tunnel syndrome would turn us all into club-handed gorillas

That Microsoft confused the hell out of me at the time. I assume it helped people but I could never use the drat things.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I hear Octavius Kitten thinks we should return to the gold standard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

JazzmasterCurious posted:

He looks like a bus driver, or your accountant, so perhaps, but no, he's seriously into old-school rap and stuff so I don't think so. Though there have been weirder examples of cognitive dissonance...

This is a problem that many younger Gen-X/older millenials face; male pattern baldness, genetics and British cuisine means that LOOKING like a gammon is arguably more common than BEING a gammon. Source: my own face looking like someone who would yell about the Empire from the audience of question time contrasting heavily with my actual views.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gammon is a cut of meat, and it’s a term used towards older white dudes who get mad a lot and turn red. They don’t like it, so it’s use is encouraged.

Yeah, basically people that look like this:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's important to bellow "will of the people" every fifteen seconds too.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You Am I posted:

Same with Scorched Earth :)

Wasn't Scorched Earth just jammed full of stupid options anyway?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

Oh hey, a new 8-Bit Guy vide-
“I’ve been loaned this rare computer-”
Oh no.
“That I’ll be doing a restoration on”
[Visibly sweating]

You know, I checked out of 8 bit guy a while back when it became clear 50% of every video was him retrobriting something. Also when his contribution to that "add some bits and mail it to another YouTuber" video was to complain about and remove the hot glue that the guy before him had used.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

my turn in the barrel posted:

Many Bothans died to bring us this pic of 8Bit Guy's Parents.

Needs more gun

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Honestly what most concerns me there is they've plugged in a monitor but not any power

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I remember extremely sharp stamped metal that would ginsu your hand if you looked at it funny. I remember loving jumpers that I had no clue how to use properly. I remember molex plugs that required brute force to disconnect. I also remember stupid rear end pc speakers that tbh I always hated.

Heat sinks you attached by using a screwdriver for leverage that always seemed like they were going to slip and you'd drive it through the motherboard

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You Am I posted:

I didn't mind most of that YouTuber's videos until he started to use his wife as bait for views

I hadn't clicked the video yet but immediately knew who this was from this comment.

Also my favourite appearance he's had in a video is one where he met up with the 8 bit guy in London and all the photos of them together are hilariously awkward.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

F4rt5 posted:

Link?
I don't care that he uses his wife as bait, she's the interesting and fun one of the two

I can't remember which video it's in, it's an incidental part of one of 8 bit guys videos, must be from a couple of years back as I stopped watching him around that time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I remember working retail when Steel Battalion came out - our store got sent four copies with the controller and we weren't expecting to get poo poo. We sold two immediately, and then my boss put two of the others aside so he could sell them on ebay. I called him a price gouging dick

Then head office called and said we'd accidentally been shipped stock that should have gone to Web orders and we needed to send as many as we had left back, and they knew we'd only sold two so they wanted two back. So I laughed in my boss's face and packaged them up to send back.

We did not have a good working relationship.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

All of those TVs could have come off the bridge of the Nostromo

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*doctor holds up newborn baby*

ITS A WALLET STYLE!!!

Burnt down my house setting off gold fireworks for my calculator reveal party

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Remember those Uninstaller that world destroy your C drive? Lol

God what was that game that if you didn't install it in the default location it completely blitzed your hard drive when you uninstalled?

Edit: Myth II!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Any place I've ever worked with faxes in the last fifteen years they've been piped directly into a document management system anyway so even if the fax itself is considered "secure" it goes straight into a computer so it might as well just be an email. I don't know if they even have any special legal status in the UK.