Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Always and forever TRAPPED IN WI-FI FACTORY SEND HELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

spookykid posted:

Surely you mean Mb? A cart with half a gig of anything in that era would be the size of the SNES itself.

No a complete set of ROMs for the SNES is like half a gigabyte, so juggling games on and off of an SD card should only be necessary if you bought a vintage memory card to go along with your vintage gaming.

It makes sense if you’re downloading romhacks and stuff though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I didn’t learn that until I got into emulation in my teens, and felt like Sonic was going way faster than he used to and all the music was off.

https://youtu.be/iPhESbeKFIE

Edit: this guy has a particularly bad voice for a YouTuber but it was the first result for comparing the two

History Comes Inside! has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Feb 4, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s just fake memory cards/thumb drives but with extra steps.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chikimiki posted:

I never understood those nfo files. Did they have a specific usage, outside of advertising the 'release group' ?

They also have all the info about whatever the thing you just downloaded is and how to install it/apply cracks, or what format/bitrate/codec etc it is if it’s video or audio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.nfo

History Comes Inside! has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Mar 17, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re basically just READMEs as written by the kid at the back of the classroom who drew all over every page of his notebooks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I ran up a £300 phone bill to compuserve within 2 months of getting my first modem and my parents were mad as gently caress.

The phone company agreed to put us into a trial scheme for their first monthly unlimited dial-up package when they called to try and query the bill, and I used birthday and Christmas money that year to pay to have a second phone line put in so I could internet all I wanted.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Freeserve were loving terrible in every experience I ever had trying to connect to them. Just a million attempts where it would answer and claim to be connected but lol no you’re not, it’s how I first learned to tell whether or not I should hang it up and redial a connection just by the sounds towards the end of the handshake.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trabant posted:

Crossposting myself since it's relevant to this thread and someone here might have a suggestion:

It’s an obvious one but it’s tripped me up a million times even though I absolutely know better, but when you tried it in the PS/2 port you were plugging it in before powering the machine up right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cathode Ray Dude's channel is very pro-click. He brings up some weird stuff.

I’ve slowly worked my way through it all after he was linked somewhere back ITT and I wish he’d post more.

Dude is the good kind of weird YouTube nerd instead of the awful grating kind and it seems to be super rare.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Flashbacks to my big box store computer toucher days when we’d transfer data to customers’ new machines, and almost every time the transfer thing would poo poo the bed because they had a Michael Bublé folder and it didn’t like the special e.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My first smartphone was an HTC TyTN, and I loved that thing. I still kind of miss slide out keyboards to be honest.

Then I had the TyTN 2 which was the same thing but the screen could tilt when you slid the keyboard out.

Game changing poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t live with those tiny screens anymore, I’ve been spoilt by giant phones.

I don’t have big hands but I’ve learned to love the popsocket which makes pretty much any large phone infinitely more one-handable.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Krazy Ivan could do it too, that’s the only game I remember having that had it on the box.

I never knew anyone who had a link cable though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played that exact game like a week ago and yeah it’s bad

Did the 32x have any killer games? I just dumped the whole romset onto my retropie arcade machine because it’s 2022 and space is infinite, and I’ve been picking things at random but nothing really wows.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I bet Pokémon is responsible for 99.99% of all gameboy link cable sales.

What I’m saying is maybe they’d have sold a few more PlayStation link cables if they’d made a virtual cockfighting simulator first.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah that can’t be it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That looks comically uncomfortable but also like some real Star Trek future poo poo.

I kind of like it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

an actual frog posted:

So, CRD's latest video is a delight. He takes a 5.25" 5 disc CD changer drive with a neat party piece to its logical conclusion :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRuhRfvIkn0

that montage at 23 minutes :getin:

I finally got round to watching this, that montage section is an extremely pro-click.

CRD is the best YouTube nerd in the biz

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When I was single digits young I remember trying to install something on our PC that was a total piece of poo poo even for the time, and not having enough space.

I noticed that all the programs on that bad boy were there twice and I always used the smaller ones, so what the gently caress did I need these second giant copies of everything for? Immediately went to work deleting every duplicate I could find.

I left myself with a bunch of shortcuts to nothing and totally hosed the computer up forever, because my parents were too dumb/broke/mad at me for killing the computer to take it to a shop and get it fixed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Man that comment takes me back to my bigbox retail days, when a dude came in and specifically bought an entire pallet of VAIO machines because they were Made in Japan.

Guy would not shut up about it but also wouldn’t elaborate on why that was important to him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I want 90s pc desks to be the next throwback trend

I didn’t realise how much I missed them until now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah but in the 1990s people used scanners a lot.

My friends’ mum scanned her boobs once and I know this because we were on the computer and opened the folder that said don’t open, because we were 11.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What was stopping someone from just running a cable from the headphone jack to the line in on a tape deck and just copying it that way?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I still remember the numbers from my first debit card because we used to have to take turns ordering pizza and time spent fishing out my wallet was time missed getting really stoned and playing halo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol if you don’t just have a work password system where you just increment something by 1 every time they make you change it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought they were 16 digits universally, what kind of wacky cards do they have wherever you are?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Debit cards, same difference

Unless the US don’t commonly use debit cards? How do you pay for poo poo? How do you get the cash you must have to use instead out without a debit card to put in the ATM?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Win 7 was like 10gb installed clean what the gently caress were you even going to put on that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t remember a thing about the computers we had at school, other than one year someone figured out that someone had presumably misconfigured something somewhere so you could just go up a level in explorer from your personal network share a couple of times and find yourself at the root of all the school’s network storage with full read/write access.

Then once a few more people found out about that, one of them went ahead and nuked the entire thing and there was no backup because the IT department was one teacher who apparently had little to no idea what he was doing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m at the point now where my ISP could be offering me faster service if I paid more but I already automatically download most of my Linux isos in a few minutes in the middle of the night so what am I even gonna do with all that extra bandwidth?

Teenage me would be so loving mad that I wasn’t doing it just to flex with my speedtest.net results :sigh:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had an ISP from around the dawn of cable internet once tell me there was no way the cable modem they supplied me could be overheating, because there is nothing inside their cable modem that gets hot.

Thermodynamics aside, I felt like the fact it was getting hot enough to hurt if you touched it and would only stay connected if I ran a little desk fan next to it said otherwise but it still took two hard argued for engineer visits to agree.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Toys R Us used to make a big deal out of being open late because the idea was parents could go toy shopping after work.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I always wanted one of those Mac Pro cases to put an actual pc in

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because they spelled it wrong OP

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

As the only Good YouTuber, CRD’s videos should be as long and as frequent as they want. The longer and more frequent the better.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only other YouTube poo poo I watch is Tim Rogers’ 6 hour long naval gazing video game deconstructions, long videos remain supreme.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I listen to podcasts at like 1.7x but videos will always be 1x for me, no exceptions.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would anyone want to tinker around with any of these old computers, truly a mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah but then you have to wait about 400 years for your C64 game to load from the tape