Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I did CF development for almost years between 08 and 14.

It works...fine...

CF's biggest problem isn't necessarily its stagnation or its feature set. It's that it's comically easy to write absolute loving garbage that somehow runs. It's way too easy for any CF code base to become an unmaintainable nightmare.

Oh, and considering the drat thing is owned by Adobe, it's PDF generation capabilities were poo poo for years. Like, they could have produced the easiest way to programmatically produce a PDF, but instead, it's all hacky ancient HTML and arcane little-used tags and attributes, because Adobe would rather swim in a Scrooge McDuck money bin than invest a cent more than necessary in the platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Data Graham posted:

... What do you mean were poo poo?? Has it improved?

In CF11 they introduced the <cfhtmltopdf> tag to use instead of the <cfdocument> tag. It used a less-busted renderer, but was only available for Windows at the time. I'm not sure if it's improved since, or if they brought it to other platforms - CF11 was the tail-end of my CF "career".

I used to add comments before <cfdocument> blocks like "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Star Man posted:

I don't understand the point of this. It's Winamp, but in a web browser running on Java.

https://twitter.com/captbaritone/status/961274714013319168

That really whips the llama’s rear end.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just hit the wall of my Phenom II not being able to play Far Cry 5 because it doesn't support SSE4..

Misread “Phenom II” as “Pentium II” and was :monocle:.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

If we are still talking about old webcomics, my favorite of all time was Bad Tech. It was a 3D comic about a terrible software development company. I was 11, so I didn't always get all the jokes, but it was still really funny. Then one day it just disappeared and there's literally nothing about it anywhere besides a few forum posts from 2002 of people asking what happened to it. This is the only image I can find that acknowledges its existence:

I remember it too. There was some character that was always straitjacketed and masked like Hannibal Lector. I can’t imagine how I would have found it except maybe via the Front Page?

DizzyBum posted:

I started reading Questionable Content at around #500 (when Faye revealed her Tragic Backstory) and I never really stopped. It's just kinda been there for years and I never broke the habit. I don't feel strongly about it in either direction.

I gave up after Faye and the mechanic robot started a business.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Data Graham posted:

A friend of mine is the IT guy for a school district, and he's responsible for speccing/building/maintaining all the ruggedized iPads. They have these industrial-grade cases that he was sure were indestructible. He's made videos of himself hucking them off the roof of the school, like 30 feet up, or down the stairwell, and showing them undamaged after.

Two weeks later he'll have a room full of smashed screens, as though the cases had never existed.

As a parent of two children that I love, kids are idiots when it come to electronics. If anything, I sometimes wonder if that same phenomenon of how football players wearing gear makes them more likely to take risks applies when it comes to kids and devices.

Fake edit: my son has a Switch that is literally held together with electrical tape. Incredibly, it still works just fine, but it ain’t pretty up close.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Let’s see. In rural Oregon:

In my elementary school (‘91-‘97), each classroom had one or two Apple //e machines, except for the fifth grade, which had //gs. We got a few Compaq media PCs running Windows 95, and those went to the library and the TAG program.

Sixth grade (‘97-‘98) had its own school. Each classroom had two Windows 3.1 or 95 machines (can’t recall a brand), and there was a singe lab with a bunch of computers just running DOS. At this point, there was always at least one oddball teacher per school bringing in their own Mac as well for some reason.

Middle school (‘98-‘00) had two Win 3.1/95 Compaq machines per classroom, and two computer labs running Dell Optiplex machines with, I think, Windows 98, so they had to have been brand new. Everything was also networked with NOVELL NETWARE, so exciting times there.

High school (‘00-‘04) started with two 3.1/95 computers per classroom, and three computer labs and a library with Win98 Dell Optiplexes, but everything got upgraded to the dark gray Win2000 Dell Optiplexes midway through. They distributed some Windows XP laptops to teachers my senior year, but there weren’t a lot of takers.

Crazy to think that you could probably replace every computer in the district with Chromebooks now for the cost of one or two of those labs back then.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Star Man posted:

I'm posting a picture of a 386 on page 386 of the tech relics thread.

This machine kills ZIP disks.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GutBomb posted:

My dad paid for winzip and cuteftp.

Sure, and your uncle worked for Nintendo. :rolleyes:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Mice are one thing where I really, really, wish I could try them out in store before committing. I've got a Kensington mouse I actually kind of like (even though it's cheap) but it's too big for my hands, and I've got pretty decent-sized hands.

I miss the days when stores used to have mice and (lol) joysticks on physical display so you could get a good sense of how they’d feel in the hand.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just checked, and Zscaler classifies ALL of Somethingawful.com as discussion forums. Zscaler knows what's up.

Zscaler posted:

There’s a front page?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cartoon Man posted:

Can you imagine these during Covid times...

Honestly, I wouldn’t have been surprised if COVID had been traced to originate from one of these.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
She’s a designer who has an ongoing project of creating “false” Apple nostalgia items.

Here’s an article about her work.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
You can’t post Cool Box Art without reposting the best box art of all time:

https://twitter.com/coolboxart/status/1188481226505670657?s=21

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Data Graham posted:

Anyway the https://www.folklore.org/ stories are all wonderful reading, and definitely capture exactly that kind of crazy energy from an era that will never come again.

The story of how Burrell Smith mastered Defender is one of my favorites.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I mean, they’re modern-day netbooks or eMachines. The entire point of them is to essentially be disposable.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Humphreys posted:

Dead gay formats for a dead gay forum:

I know I've posted the LD version before, but it has a sister now in UMD glory.

Did Hackers ever get released on HD-DVD?

If so…you know what you need to do.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cojawfee posted:

Vista was a great OS that had its reputation destroyed by cheap rear end OEMs that sold computers with only 256or 512MB of RAM, which slowed the machine down to the point that people assumed that Vista was trash.

It was so bad that Microsoft had to do that ad campaign where they revealed a "new" version of Windows that ran great and people loved it and at the end, Microsoft would say "this is Vista, it's just on a computer where HP didn't rip you off." With the right amount of RAM, it was a kickass OS and the few people who desperately clung to XP64 were baffling to me.

To be fair, that was a problem of Microsoft’s own making - they were initially insisting on requiring more capable machines to qualify for a “Vista Capable” recommendation, but then Intel threw a poo poo-fit that it wouldn’t support some garbage chipset they wanted to offload, and MS caved (ironically pissing off HP, of all companies, in the process, as they had already committed to making more capable machines). Ars Technica has a write up about it.

To make matters worse, all “Vista Capable” then meant was that it could feasibly run Vista Home Basic - meaning people could end up buying brand new computers that couldn’t do all the whiz-bang bullshit MS was using to pitch the OS.

But regardless, I agree with you - Vista was just fine if it was on a computer meant to be running it. And if it wasn’t for Vista basically taking the bullet, Windows 7 would never have been as successful as it was.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

If I ever needed to encapsulate IBM as an image, I think this would have to be it.

Not hardware. Not software. An ostentatious boat.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Anyone know if those laptop bays were designed to any standard, or were they all OEM-specific?

This device looks like it’s using PCMCIA, a standard that seemed to lend itself well to wild peripherals.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Drastic Actions posted:

Running IE 1.5 from Windows NT 3.51 on Windows 11.

The backward compatibility in Windows is nuts.

Hey, do you have PM? I’ve got some questions about this setup for something I’m doing for work relating to old browser support.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sweevo posted:

So every game 6+ times, because ROM packs insist on including every broken mis-dump that has ever existed for some unfathomable reason.

Don’t forget US, EU, and JP versions of each game, where the only difference between the US and EU versions are the number of “u”s in game text and replacing “ninja” with “hero.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My wife has been driving her new car for six months and never realized it had Android Auto until I tried it

My parents have had a car with CarPlay in it for two years, and just spent literal hours of their life getting the lovely onboard nav updated with maps more recent than 2018, including buying a USB drive with the updates on them because the car refused to stay connected to their Wifi to do an OTA update.

They know they have CarPlay. They just don’t like it because…I don’t know, they were exposed to leaded gasoline as children or something?

I’m not really sure why all car infotainment systems have to be eye-searing, unstable, unresponsive garbage fires, but they seem to be a rake auto manufacturers are more than happy to step on.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Up in the Portland, OR area they have arcades called Wunderland - last time I was there, you’d pay a nominal cover, but then the games took nickels instead of quarters, and they had a bunch of games set to free play.

I think that’s really the best way to enjoy arcades - you don’t feel bad wasting money on a terrible game because it’s probably free, and the good games are cheap enough that you don’t mind feeding the beast.

I have no idea if they’re still around - this is probably where someone swoops in and says they closed up and left all the games to be destroyed by roving gangs of teens, or that they now charge $1.00/play on swipe cards and all the machines are now Dead Storm Pirates.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is literal art

Hang this next to it in the Louvre:

https://twitter.com/coolboxart/status/1188481226505670657

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Press F to pay respects.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The way tech nostalgia is going, it’s going to be a kickstarted NFT drop or something.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve got a WD MyBook FireWire drive + enclosure from 2008 somewhere around here. I don’t even know if the drive part still works at this point, but if it does, I’d want to find some place to put its contents, but then would be happy to ship it on out.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tech Relics - A wild night of ladies’ clam chowder wrestling

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Casimir Radon posted:

I haven’t watched that video yet but I believe LGR did something similar with a 7 disc changer and Phantasmagoria I think. I don’t think it entirely worked though.

Per CRD, it’s success is largely dependent on how the game is coded and whether the changer is exposed to Windows as multiple devices or a single device.

But when it Just Works, it’s hilariously satisfying.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

The NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game was ported to the Commodore 64. Switching from the overworld to the sewers or back meant waiting for the area to load from disk. This was however worse in the dam level where every vertical scroll meant loading the next screen. If you were swimming up and didn't respond on time when loading was done you'd drop back down to the previous screen which meant more loading, followed by swimming up and even more loading and making sure you responded quickly enough this time.

Those familiar with the 1541's speed can imagine how much fun the game is this way.

I’m impressed they managed to find a way to make the dam level even goddamn worse.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tech relics: an entire rear end SSD that is 8gb for some reason

I vaguely recall that small SSDs were popular upgrades for netbook enthusiasts back in ‘07 or so to make for a somewhat-useful proto-Chromebook.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Our school district seemed to operate on the time-honored tradition of “whoever was willing to cut the best deal for a tax break” and hand-me-downs in its IT policy.

Elementary classrooms had Apple //e machines with DuoDisk drives. Elementary libraries had 486 Compaq Presarios.

Our sixth grade was its own school for some unknowable reason, and it seems like they were on their own in terms of computers. Classrooms had random beige box 486s, and the lab was made up of XTs and XT clones.

Middle school classrooms had 486 Compaq Presarios, the labs had P2 Dell Optiplexes, and the library had IBM PC 300PLs.

High school classrooms were the same as middle school, but the classrooms had been updated to P4 Dell Optiplexes. The labs and library got the same upgrade about halfway-through. The yearbook/newspaper classroom had three Bondi Blue iMacs, and some teachers had old Macs that I think they shadow IT’ed into use.

Middle school and up, computers had internet access and were networked with Novell Netware.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hey, it’s not a winmodem!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Desert Bus posted:

I sent Clint from LGR an invite code about a month ago, along with a link to this thread and the obsolete tech thread. Invited them to come say hi. No results yet :(

Or he was already a goon and is watching, silently. :tinfoil:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gonz posted:

But…why?

Also, wait, what?

They see me roline, they hatine.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Pham Nuwen posted:

if we're posting old software here's some I got a while back:

I feel like they missed out on an opportunity to call it “The Compact Disc.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I actually had one of these bad boys for a while:

Back when I worked at a computer repair place, a local lawyer had it and it stopped working. We couldn’t resurrect it in a reasonable time frame, so he said we could have it and got a new, less absurd tablet-y computer (of course, it was 2004 so they were still very absurd).

Boss let me have it, and I was able to get the laptop part working again, but never the digital notepad (though I too tracked down a AAAA battery, from Radio Shack).

While the laptop part died again within a year, it was really pretty fascinating to use in the meantime - it had a touch screen and was very thin and light. I honestly still prefer the trade off of the hinge mechanism to the stupid wrap-and-fold convertibles now. I used it a lot for notes in class. I had even managed to get XP Tablet PC Edition installed and working on it, for some very questionable handwriting recognition.

I can’t remember if I recycled it or if it’s still in the bottom of my Old Computer Stuff box - I always had a soft spot for it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Hellequin posted:

You mean Jack Parsons? Dunno about documentary but there was a pretty decent-ish t.v. series from a few years back called Strange Angel that dramatized parts of his life, unfortunately cancelled right at the point that L. Ron Hubbard was introduced.

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also included in this lot is an ancient Win 98 PC that wont boot into windows in anything but safe mode, and this may explain it :catstare:

RADIUM!!! :argh:

You just need to add the load-bearing slurs back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and you can reboot out of Safe Mode.