Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Skeleton Ape posted:

Nesticle. THANKS   SHITMAN

Great cursor. ooh so edgy

Then you were stuck with balls on your desktop.

The Genesis emulator Genecyst had a sweet dripping blood UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryt3BNjxkSs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Mak0rz posted:

NESticle and Genecyst were made by the same development team and both emus owned

While we're on emulators, anyone remember No$GMB and Bleem? Good times

E: No$GMB was a funny name because it only "demoed" Gameboy Color for like ten minutes after which it reset to vanilla Gameboy and asked you to pay the author :allears:

Old emulators are neat to look at. Here is Nesticle 0.20 butchering Kirby's Adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTl2DXjCENk

That's a particularly bad example. Most of that guy's videos just have terrible things happening to the soundtrack, like ZNES 0.150 and Donkey Kong Country:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JcCOd2Fno

I remember Bleem in its Dreamcast incarnation (Bleemcast :haw:), though I never had it. It was pretty controversial at the time. I think the company got legal-fee'd to death.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I played the King's Quest games a lot with my older sister. They weren't as frustrating when you were with someone vastly better at figuring out puzzles. They had some badass box art:

I learned to read/spell partially by playing King's IV :3: I had a "cheat sheet" where my mom had written down words for me after she got tired of me asking how to spell "pouch" for the millionth time. Those text parsers had no sympathy for poor spellers or very young kids.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Melmac posted:

Yeah, it worked because it would completely freeze AOL and you'd have to ctrl alt delete.

The code was just spamming <h3> over and over again which as far as I know is just html code for a large title. Not sure why that would freeze AOL but it did. You didn't even need a punter to do it. Just copy and paste a bunch of <h3>s and you'd kick someone off.

It stopped working in AOL 4.0 because html codes for fonts and stuff were allowed. :shrug:

I love dumb poo poo like that. I played an online Dreamcast game called Phantasy Star Online that let you have very short PMs, but the font was not fixed-width and the message seemed to be limited by whether or not it fit in the box, not the number of characters. So if you filled the entire box with lowercase l's and tried to send it, the game would crash because it had so many more characters than if you'd put in, say, a ton of capital Ws. Who the gently caress did not think that one through :psyduck:

People then claimed that if you sent that to someone, you'd crash THEIR game, to trick people into crashing their own.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The forums still let you put an ICQ number in your profile, so it can't be THAT outdated!

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Remember back when we had honest-to-god programs, not sissy little "apps"? Kids these daaaaays :argh:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

:3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Oh god, Chip's Challenge made me remember this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwgSmXkIQf8

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Buttcoin purse posted:

Also that reminds me, remember 8.3 filenames and geocities.com?

I'm pretty sure this was the url for my first webpage: http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/7225/
Catchy, huh?

If I've got the names right, Enchanted Forest was their kids' section, and Dell was overflow. I remember looking at their stupid little "block" pages to see who my neighbors were :3: Mine was a page all about my virtual pets, which came from websites saying "download this drawing of a guinea pig and put it on your website and it's a virtual pet!" That's how I learned verrrry basic HTML using a quick reference book my sister had. I was in 5th grade, I think. I remember struggling to put my little gifs of animals into a pleasing layout using tables when it took loving forever to upload it to test anything out. MEMORIES...

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
The actual reasons that QWERTY was designed are neat. It was based on input from telegraph operators who were transcribing morse code and had to keep up with the sender.

quote:

The code represents Z as ‘· · · ·’ which is often confused with the digram SE, more frequently-used than Z. Sometimes Morse receivers in United States cannot determine whether Z or SE is applicable, especially in the first letter(s) of a word, before they receive following letters. Thus S ought to be placed near by both Z and E on the keyboard for Morse receivers to type them quickly (by the same reason C ought to be placed near by IE. But, in fact, C was more often confused with S).

Not as funny as nerd angst over QWERTY intentionally holding back their true typing power, though :(

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Chief McHeath posted:

MERCY MOTHER OF GOD THE SPEAKERS HANG ON THE SIDE OF THE MONITOR!

My mom had one of those, except her monitor wasn't from the set. So she ended up with these weirdly-shaped speakers with hooks on the side, and nothing to hook them to. :shrug:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Shadow posted:

Didn't the speakers come with the monitor though? That's how it was for the Packard bell I got in 94. Looked the same as that pic.

Hm... if tower, monitor, and accessories were sold together, it's possible that my dad bought a whole set and then took the monitor to his office, leaving her with whatever she'd already had. Either way, it was weird.

This all made me remember these bad boys, found in every room of my elementary school:

The all-in-one Power Mac. Many a game of The Incredible Machine was played on these. We also discovered the text-to-speech feature in SimpleText and got yelled at for making the computer say naughty words.

Looks like everyone was dabbling in dumb-looking monitors with speakers, even Apple.

Clearly during their Steve Jobs-less design lull.

you were warned has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Dec 29, 2015

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Who else actually liked the iMac puck mice? When I first saw one I thought, "Wow, somebody finally made a mouse that doesn't have a bunch of extra plastic hanging off the back!" I couldn't wait for someone to make a three button clone with a longer cord that would work well with my PC.

The one that came with my G4 tower had a wide indent on the mouse button, so it was easy to feel which way was up. They eventually made that change in response to people's frustration, but it was too late. Since I never had any problems with that, and I have small hands, I really liked the puck mouse! I actually recently thought about grabbing one from eBay to be silly, but apparently the indented ones are way more uncommon than I expected.

Yeah, the Performas were a series of trainwrecks. I actually had a 6360, which they note as being the only one that isn't a disaster. I think that all-in-one case design was also used for a non-Performa Power Mac that was better, though. There were a million different model numbers with slightly different specs around that time, and it was excessively confusing.

Howard Beale posted:

hanging speakers from the monitor is amateur hour compared to the Compaq Presario which shoved the speakers into the monitor and took the CPU with it as well

aww so cute, it thinks it's a mac

Can't decide if it's even uglier than this actual mac

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Remember when iMacs were such a hot new thing that lovely PC manufacturers did this

And it was such a loving fever pitch that poo poo like this happened

I actually had that clock. My sister gave it to me for Christmas, because I was in 8th grade and I was Apple Fan #1. :awesome: It had the most god-awful alarm sounds ever.

My older sisters played lots of games on 5.25" floppies, which was a recipe for disaster. They wrecked so many copies of Agent USA that our mom stopped replacing them. Apparently I damaged a King's Quest II disk when I was very very young by touching the inner ring. I think my oldest sister still hasn't quite forgiven me. Parents everywhere probably breathed a sigh of relief when 3.5" floppies became the norm.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Same thing with the Gamecube modem attachment; I can't remember why it was so valuable though, and the only game I can think of that used it was Phantasy Star Online.

Come to think of it, the Gamecube had a lot of peripherals that are now much harder to find/worth more than the actual system: the modem, the Wavebird, the black 251 memory card...

:eyepop: The broadband adapter goes for ~$50 on eBay. I still have one stuck in my Gamecube from the days of Phantasy Star Online. There were a whopping seven games that used it, three of which were versions of PSO, another three were LAN-only, and the last was a Japan exclusive. Mario Kart Double Dash can use the adapter to connect four systems and have 16-player games, which sounds pretty sweet, but do people really spend a total of $200 on the broadband adapters alone to do that? What else could you do with it any more? How would I test it to sell it?? So many questions.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Oh god, I spent so much time playing with KPT Bryce on my sister's computer, making poo poo like this:

Her mighty 75mhz mac would chug and chug forever to render our masterpieces. She was in art school, so she was making actual Art, ostensibly. We recently found her work from her first year on a zip drive that miraculously still worked. It was adorable :3: It was the mid/late-nineties, and everyone was so excited about computers!

And uhhh I don't know if this could be considered NWS but I guess I'll link it just in case? Someone decided to make a big field of boob blobs in stunning 3D

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

horizon posted:

Apple III.

Hey, that's a Macintosh Portable down there! Quite the sexy hunk of technology:

It weighed 16 lbs and started at $6,500 in 1989 dollars, so you can imagine what a smashing success it was. Apparently part of the weight and cost problems were from the inclusion of pretty high-end display, RAM, and battery types, at least for what it was. It sucked anyway.

You could move the trackball to the left side in case you're a lefty, or you could replace it with a numeric pad if you wanted to use a mouse, like above. That's kinda neat.

It was even in Twin Peaks!

This thread is taking me back to middle school and early high school, when I spent all my free time reading about lovely Apple products on my lovely Mac :saddowns:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

thathonkey posted:

pssh i have a workig gamecube those things are damne near indestructable

I once accidentally dumped a ton of root beer on a friend's gamecube (not plugged in). I cleaned up what I could, let it dry out, and the fucker was totally fine. It's been in storage for years since then, so who knows if it's been eaten away inside by residue, but I bet it still works.

As far as I'm concerned, that made us even for the time he knocked a glass of koolaid directly onto the keyboard of my lovely old Compaq laptop, while it was on and plugged in. Koolaid all running out of the ethernet port. I took out the battery, stood it up to dry overnight, and that fucker was totally fine, too. Just smelled like fruit punch for a while. This was nearly ten years ago. My mom still uses that laptop occasionally to keep her Harvest Moon GameFAQs files accessible near the TV.

But apparently if you get so much as a drop of water on a Macbook, it's toast? They don't make 'em like they used to.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Ah, my doctor's office still uses a dot matrix printer to print billing sheets, for some loving reason. The patient info printed by the dot matrix printer never lines up properly with the fields on the pre-printed form. I always resent having to tear off the strips so the papers will sit neatly in my medical files :mad:

quote:

On the plus side they were good for printing out long banners for birthdays and special occasions since the pages were all stuck together by default.

When I was born, my much-older sisters used The Print Shop and our dot-matrix printer to print a welcome home banner when my mom brought me home from the hospital. :3: That printer still occasionally worked by the time I was old enough to play with it. I loved making random "signs" (clip art of an animal + text) and then running out of the room while it printed because the printer was so friggin' loud.

I was really pleased to recently find that archive.org has The Print Shop from 1984 in their software archive. That's the Apple II version, which looked a tiny bit different from the DOS version we had, but it has all the same clip art.

I made a sign for my bedroom door with this pig on it when I was really little. :3: The pig got colored in with a pink crayon, of course.

Memories...

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
SCSI was so much fun!

My dad owned a small business, so we always had cast-off computer equipment trickle down to home, but it meant everything was cobbled together from random poo poo. Finding the right SCSI adapter was a hoot.

We had a 9gb external SCSI hard drive in the... late 90s? It was a foot long (I measured it once), maybe 6" tall and 7" wide, weighed a ton, and sounded like an airplane taking off. I accidentally gouged a big trail on the pine desk once when I tried to slide it forward. I hated that thing so much.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I was messing around with Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, and it turns out that some of the MIDIs I remembered were not from Windows itself, but from Sound Blaster 16. Have some reggae with a dancing weasel or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2CzS26u6k

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I keep finding the weirdest poo poo at my parents' house. Why do they have a drawer containing (among many other odd things) Windows 98 Developer Platform (discs 1 and 14 only), an MSDN-labeled copy of Windows XP, a Mac OS 9 install disc, and the games Dogz, Catz, and Oddballz? The developer stuff must've made its way home from my dad's office, but they've definitely moved since 1998. Someone boxed that poo poo up and took it on a moving truck so it could still be in a dresser in a spare bedroom almost twenty years later.

The games were mine, of course. Before the Petz series became DS shovelware, it was a series of ugly games with animals made out of circles!

That's the original Dogz from 1995. You could pet them, throw a ball for them, teach them tricks, and paint them different colors. To a bunch of ten-year-old girls, this was absolute heaven, so my friends and I loooooved this poo poo. I think later versions let you breed them. I didn't like Catz as much, and Oddballz... well, I looked for a video of it to see how well I remembered it, and some people streaming it aptly described it as "some sort of absurdist torture sim."

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Remember those radiation shields people used to put on CRT monitors? I didn't, either, until I came across this picture in a terrible real estate listing for a disgusting house:

Bonus speakers-on-monitor getup. Looks like someone used a digital camera manufactured around the same time as that beige beauty. It's a current listing, up for 180+ days--can't imagine why.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

thathonkey posted:

is that a radiation shield? it looks like a magnifier actually and that depressing dwelling looks like that of an elderly smoker who doesnt give a gently caress (american most def I would say)

Oh, could be! It made me remember radiation shields I saw as a kid. I specifically remember my piano teacher telling me to use one, because her mom had just died of cancer, and she'd bought one for her own monitor. That house is in Vermont, where my friend's coworkers stuck magnetic things to the back of their phones to supposedly block radiation... which made the phone stop working. They were unhappy when the people at the AT&T store took the things off to fix it again. :saddowns: So I assumed it was for radiation. (And yeah, that whole house is yellow and disgusting. Definitely a smoker.)

"Are you left-handed? Well then gently caress you. :smug:"

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

:aaa: That game is gorgeous. And how did I not know that there are TWO shoot-em-ups where you play as a bird?! I knew about Kolibri, but...

theultimo posted:

Hell its why I have a job, I'm one of the few still fluent in FORTRAN and work with the VA pay servers

FORTRAN. You're joking, right. :stare:

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, Sega released a program in the 90s for PC called Web Vengeance. It was a thing that let you vandalize a web page on your home computer with eggs, rocks, bullets, tomatoes. It was sort of fun and if you put a line of code on your page then anyone who was trying to vandalize it would have to deal with a tray trying to block their shots. I think it probably only ran on a few early versions of IE and then after that it probably never worked ever again.

:hellyeah: That'll show 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Mak0rz posted:

Our first computer was the humble Tandy 1000:

This just made me remember that when I was little, one Halloween my mom took me "trick-or-treating" during the day at a shopping center that was doing it for some reason. Most of the stores had candy, but I got a few weird things, like a keychain for a smooth jazz radio station, and a Whiz Kids comic book from Radio Shack. This one, I think:

In an extremely 90s situation, the Tandy Whiz Kids use their Tandy 1000 to learn about recycling, and then use a Tandy camcorder to shoot a movie about it! And save the environment or something probably!

There's also an Archie comic in there. After eating a nutritious breakfast, low in fat and cholesterol, Archie goes on a field trip to a science museum, which has all of the teenagers genuinely excited and not at all bored or irritated. They learn about electricity, and then the pinnacle of electronics, the Tandy 1000. This youngster goes mad with power while demonstrating how to use the Tandy 1000 to access an electronic encyclopedia.

That's from 1991, so I was five and had no idea what a Tandy was. It was perplexing.