Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Finished The Once And Future Nerd today. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. But did want to mention about how much I enjoyed the Nice Guy/MRA/Friend Zoned necromancer... It was brilliant and didn't overstay it's welcome.

Really glad the next book is coming out in the next month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Slamhound posted:

Christ, A New Winter is loving terrible.

Yes but somehow it grew on me. I realize it's poo poo but I can't stop listening to it. I wonder if Archive 81 will go the same way.

Finished first season of Liberty and no idea what to think of that one. It's just some people's RPG game in podcast format right?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I look forward to Magnus more than any other podcast these days.

Same. Is the only one I listen to on normal speed without dead space removal. Remember when it started people dropping it for the accent?

Also latest Archive 81 converted me on the new format.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

TANIS is back! I really don't care if they never get to the point, or if they're going in circles or rehashing old plots or how goofy the premise is. I just love listening to it for some reason.

Probably the music. PNW does good music that's the most charitable thing I can say about it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

There is something very relaxing about it. I think it might be the music, along with Nick's voice.

I liked the first season a lot, but I realized listening to the new episode today that I had forgotten everything that happened in the second season.

It's ok. I bet they did as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I'm having a really hard time with a lot of these podcasts lately. Alice isn't Dead lost me at episode 7, I quit Night Vale ages ago, didn't finish season 2 of Tanis, and I'm months behind on Ars Paradoxica, Bright Sessions, and Wolf 359. The only one I'm even close to caught up on is Mabel. It's just seems like they lose momentum in the second season and start to meander.

I've mostly just ended up listening to Undisclosed and The F-Plus.

Ars paradoxica almost lost me but I'm glad I stuck around since every problem I had with it was intentional and addressed directly in the same season. Downside is it's at the end of the season...

Just caught up on Maebel. Only downside there was the dude from Sable in the season opener. That guy is so bad. Sable is still the only serial I've dropped. (I commute by car 90 mins a day and will listen to anything to stay sane. Anything but Sable apparently).

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Bright Sessions chat:
Sam ; gently caress Yah

Amirite?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Does anyone else notice how they just shoehorn them in when it doesn't really matter as well? Like does Sallys sexual preference matter to the story in any way? No? So why are we bringing it up?

It shows yet another way she's alienated from and doesn't fit in with June Clever 1950s America?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Yep he's the bisexual man sleeping with two different people in the same department at the police station for information because that isn't a bit ham handed or anything.

I did pledge to the magnus archive patreon. So far there isn't anything worth checking out in the way of extras. Just a random page from the list of stuff in artifact storage. I'll keep you guys updated if anyone cares to know when/if extra stuff goes up.

It's a bit anal but the last episode went up earlier for pateeon as well. I say that because it goes up midnight GMT which is when I leave work for home and usually stay until I see or someone texts me that the latest magnus has dropped.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I wonder how much of each episode of TANIS/TBT/Rabbits is silence or creepy sound effects between people talking..

Is tbt even a going concern still?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

I assume so. Alex was reading stuff in today's Tanis.

Episode 212 was 8/16/16
The delay between 112 and 201 was from 10/13/15 to 1/18/16. So they took 3 months off then, and it's already been 8 months now. It's website hasn't had an update since 212 was released. etc...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Season 2 of Spines, however, is turning into a pretty drat good audio anime.

Thanks for this. Did most of S1 last night will probably finish it today. Reminds me of a slightly less allegorical / stream of conscious Mabel while still having that dreamlike feel.

Plus hardcore body horror right out the gate.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I thought season 2 of Archive 81 was dreadful and stopped listening after two episodes. Has it improved?

It's different and has grown on me personally but it's not a direct continuation of season 1 in style or format.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I finally decided to listen to Magnus Archives and: wow, this is really good! I'd read a short story collection by whoever writes this.

Great. Become a patron on patreon, transcripts are a perk.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

The Magnus Archives. For real. It's the loving best.

Seconded. I also like the body horror of Spines which hasn't gotten enough love here. Listen to the 1 minute long teasers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Amateur Sketch posted:

I just finished Spines, and it's pretty rad. Good body horror, good foreshadowing, and a pretty cool concept. The narrator's detached tone is a little reminiscent of the PNWS podcasts, but she's got a more active role in the story so it stays interesting. Episodes are pretty short, so it's easy to listen to a couple and see if it's your thing.

I elevator pitched it to a friend as "Alice isn't dead" but episodic where poo poo happens each episode.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

That I agree with. I like the story and characters in season 2, but it seems like they feel compelled to have him listen to a tape every episode.

So, what the gently caress even is A New Winter at this point? The first season was a fun small town horror story, but it's been drifting since season two started, and the last episode is less Twin Peaks than Southland Tales. Am I understanding right that the narrator is a demon and there's an army of time-displaced dopplegangers of himself? I'm just totally lost. Part of it might be that I drift out of focus at times. The narrator's voice would be good for meditation, but he's so flat and dreamy that I zone out easily. I continue to think it would be better as a novel, but then he'd have to have it all worked out in advance, and I think it's clear that he's just making it up as he goes. The guy does have a novel he's plugging, so maybe that would be worth a look.

I actually like the Tapes now as just a small little self contained story. And New Winter is indeed bat poo poo. It's not as bad as Sable (Still the only serialized podcast I stopped listening to.) but it's bat poo poo.

If anyone didn't hear the latest WTNV they're launching http://podcon.com/ for the end of the year in Seattle. since I live there I'll be throwing some money their way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

I'm struggling to keep track of everything in Magnus but worry about searching for flowcharts or the like for fear of spoilers. :(

Can't really spoil anything since it's either right there already or just listener conjecture...

Bright Sessions: I think this is the one that puts me over the edge to patreon it. :shutupandtakemymoney: Damien getting the beatdown he so richly deserves, not as good as the slap last month but some good sound engineering.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Theres a good chance Caleb straight up killed Damien in this one. I doubt it, because I think there are more stories to tell with him alive, but it's hard to imagine anyone being able to pull Caleb off him at that point.

I don't have a problem with this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

Rabbits is loving weird. I still prefer Tanis.

What episode number had the pool incident originally? I think I had a bad download and I never got it again.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

The volume seems really low on this Bright Sessions. I'm 2 notches below maxed out on my headset. If I was listening to music at this volume I'd blow my eardrums out.

Glad it wasn't me... I listened to it on a new Bluetooth to FM dongle for the car. Had to turn on Overcast's voice boost and kept raising my volume. Was about to return the drat thing.

Annoying place to end the episode as well and while I get the point of the show some of the feelings talk was so clunky I felt triggered by tumblrspeak.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

I think of it more a within the wire but great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Caught up on 'The Dark Tome' today. Framing Story for anthology stories. I'd rather they dropped the Anthology part and concentrate on the flame since I'm more vested with the characters there. Not great but better than a lot of things out there.

• Locked thread