Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i played it all night, barely got any sleep and played it all morning. im totally infatuated w/ this title. the tiniest of side quests have great writing and nice little plots.

there's no bullshit overarching morality/notoriety system so you can treat every quest as an individual case, be an rear end in a top hat to this dude and threaten him for a bigger reward, save another man's life for free and treat him like family; maybe you'll run into him in a later town and turns out he's a big-time merchant and he gives you half-off on all his stuff.

the world is riddled w/ goodies and cool poo poo to explore, the combat is an enormous upgrade from witcher 2's sloppy shitfest, the game is just loving awesome overall. 30 bucks is a drat steal for it IMO, probably one of the richest rpgs ive played in a very long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I want to play this game but I don't want to pay 30 dollars for it, I want to pay 10 dollars.

when u get it for 10 bucks a year from now, youre gonna say "drat, I wish I had played this sooner, i want to give these guys more money, cause this game is so much win"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so apparently theyve patched out a lot of dumb poo poo and pretty much revamped the combat since its release..i had no idea. well this gamer has no complaints

idk how it worked before but resources and stuff dont take up any space in the inv., only actual equipment does. thats a pretty huge upgrade from witcher 2 where even the loving coins took up weight and you had to resort everything every half hour cause you kept being overburdened by collecting poo poo..in a game where gathering mats and crafting is like 30% of the content lol

ill say the durability stuff is pretty dumb but any blacksmith repairs all your stuff for dirt cheap and it wears down veeeerryy slowly. like, the game couldve just not had durability at all but its a very minor thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the oils and potions and min-maxy stuff is really for the higher difficulties where it's ultra realistic and you will actually be murdered in 2 hits, when things tend to attack you in hordes and you need to be able to take that extra hit to survive encounters, or deal that extra bit of damage so the fights are that much shorter

im not a psycho tho so i play on normal

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ragg posted:

I agree with the OP.

thanks buddy

Wormskull posted:

I lost interest in it almost immediately following the tutorial myslef, OP.

apparently the game has been patched to hell and almost everything bad has been taken out. im completely in love myself

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i took on a wolverine hunt quest and it turns out i was unprepared for it. on his last 1/3rd of life or so it starts regenning health super fast and my damage couldn't keep up, i went back to the starting village and decided to explore every spot i missed.

so far ive found a ton of money through hidden chests and stuff, big armor upgrades and a way better silver sword. theres hidden dungeons and boss fights behind weak floor boards and the like, feels great to find that poo poo when youre exploring

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I took one look at the 10 million different potions and oils the game throws at you and ignored it for dozens of hours but it turns out that once youve made a potion you just replenish your entire stock every time you rest so there's no real reason not to use them

what :aaaaa:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cause it was a big deal in witcher 1 and they wanted to cater to the 3 fans of the original im guessing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that owns. im using potions way more often then, im glad they made alchemy accessible. in witcher 2 gathering stuff and inv. space were such a pain and the potion buffs were tiny so it was better to just completely ignore that part of the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

blacksmiths have reusable whetstones that just buff your wep damage for 15 minutes, ive been going down the spellcaster tree cause the early melee options look underwhelming, blanketing everything with fire is cool too and looks pretty

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the map youre on at the start of the game is very tiny and safe. the only large monster is the first boss and if you explore the nastiest thing you'll run into is maybe a big bear.

in velen i found a guarded treasure spot, and it was just a lonely chest sitting near the shore, didnt see any enemies nearby. had unique boots in it along with tons of money and rare parts, then a huge basilisk popped out of a near cave, swooped at me and loving killed me in one hit. game rules

e: after upgrading my spells a bit, unlocked an alt. fire for the igni spell that is a straight up flamethrower

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah now all the potions and buffs are just things you pop in-combat. if you craft oils for weps, you coat a sword or whatever with it and the oil doesn't get wasted, dont even have to rest to refill it. once youve crafted a blade oil it's just infinite and you just need to remember to swap the buff when youre fighting a specific kind of tough monster.

when you stack everything (ex: bolt potion for 10% all damage, cursed oil for +10% damage vs. cursed creatures, rune that deals additional damage to beasts and hybrids etc. vs. a Werewolf) you get a pretty crazy damage boost, and it feels good when you struggle vs a monster then you read its bestiary and come in learned.

it tells you what stuff is weak to, but if you read the descriptions it actually gives you tips on fighting it and what to watch out for. like a warning that a certain enemy will violently explode when it reaches low health, or become super aggressive etc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

in the first continent i wandered around the forest at night and found a village that was completely on fire and inhabited by night wraiths that were like 10 levels above me, and they were guarding treasure

i rested until morning and went back to the same area, it was barren. no village, no fires, no treasure. thats loving cool. theres all kinds of poo poo like that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

also saw a lonely abandoned fort covered in seagulls, i look up and theres a huge drake getting his fill of bird meat. sure enough it spots me and comes down, level 14., loving spits acid on me and kills me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

stealing stuff from the army and other cops is outrageously easy. even if youre caught as long as you manage to run away theyll forget that you did that the moment you get away. like i stole some stuff from the camp in the starting town, someone caught me, i sprinted until the action music stopped playing, i ran back and they were all friendly again.

it sounds dumb but i think they did this for convenience's sake. maybe it's different in higher difficulties.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tbh i got some legend of zelda feels from this with the way you can just barge into peoples homes and totally ransack em, i was surprised there was any kind of thieving mechanic. so it really doesn't matter that its p much a joke, makes it a bit of extra fun to steal from highly guarded fortresses

also if the guards "kill" you, you dont die. you wake up with 1 HP hours later and a message reads "you have lost some coins" lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the secret dungeons hidden in the world with armor sets at the end own hard, yes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

one of them had some horrible vampire thing in it that could fade in and out of his reality and warp around you, has to use yrden just to make it hittable

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

omg i beat some dude to death with my bare hands and i got the cheevo "fist of the south star"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah like, the combat is fun when it works but there've been a few times where geralt just gets stuck in a tree or some poo poo and i just get murdered, or other oddities happen

but the writing is top notch, everything about this game is a labor of love. and i really like geralt's whole monster detective thing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I really loved the quest with the old lady and her pan and she keeps commenting on how you're a freak because you talk to yourself.

haha yesb this ruled

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

geralt's hair and facial hair gradually get longer as days pass and you eventually look like a homeless person and everyone calls you gross. there are barbers in the game that can clean you up lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wrapped up a major sidequest and was shocked to see a pretty artsy fartsy cutscene play out that detailed the results of the decisions i had made

i need to play this game again on hard mode or something and see the other poo poo that happens christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you can go into some corner of the world that has nothing to do with the main quest and stumble into this huge epic story with all sorts of well choreographed cutscenes and well designed dungeons and its like poo poo it makes you want to dig into every nook and cranny cause you might miss really awesome content

reiterating that every inch of this game, someone cared about it, someone poured their hearts into it, even the dumbest little quests. and theres hundreds of them. im shocked

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tip: pay attention to what merchants sell cause sometimes they sell huge inventory space upgrades and other crucial stuff

if you help out keira and complete her sidequests she sells a potion that lets you respec your character for a pretty penny

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 has a lot of problems, that game is only playable if you mod Geralt's max carry weight to be a crazy number cause otherwise the entire gathering+crafting portion of the game is a loving nightmare

there's mmo "kill this many endregas" quests, the combat is basically just spamming quen over and over, your dodge roll is slower than your run speed until you reach the mid-game and are able to upgrade it, i could think of a million little turds like that that sod up the experience

still has good writing and stuff and it's pretty as hell, plus, i mean, you can get the game for like 3 loving dollars. but you might need to do some minor modding to make the gameplay enjoyable and that sucks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the second major boss in witcher 2 is a complete surprise fight against another witcher who has all of your same powers except they're maxed out and hes incredibly hard and the game saves right when it starts so if you werent prepared youre just kind of hosed

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

If it takes longer than 15 minutes for something to start being good then your wasting your time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 got a pretty crazy revamp with the enhanced edition, completely free too. they made geralt control like he was in an action game instead of like a loving boat and rebalanced many things but, the game's still littered with dumb stuff and the combat is at best dull and repetitive.

witcher 3 makes the combat really interesting, mostly because you control very tightly and you need to use different tactics for different creatures which really mixes it up. witcher 2 you just maxed out sword damage and spammed quick attack on everything

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tfw youre over 100 hours into a game and you realize you dont give a flying poo poo about it (xenoblade) (witcher 2)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i even imported my copleted save from witcher 2 to witcher 3 and it like doesnt loving matter at all. there was one line in the game referring to how i killed some king there, maybe there'll be more stuff as i get deeper cause im still near the start but..yeah skip witcher 2 lol. i feel like 3 is the holy grail of rpgs atm

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There are a couple changes but if you don't import a save then right after the tutorial zone a guy comes up to you and interviews you about what happened last game so you can just pick what happened instead of playing the whole game

jesus christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I bought Witcher 3.

good job

Wormskull posted:

I could of tried harder to convince people not to... I feel at fault...

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played it when it came out but found it pretty boring. Sorry OP

y'all are just some haters

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

how is the crafting retarded lol also ive never had any problems controlling the horse..although sometimes if i leave him too close to a fight he'll wander in like a doofus and then geralt will jump on him like a doofus and i get killed

on hard you just have to use your signs and riposte a lot if you can't get behind the enemy. they dodge and block a lot to prevent you from just quick attacking everything to death

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

EvilMike posted:

its interesting at first, but a big flaw in witcher 3 (probably its biggest) is that you're practically guaranteed to overlevel the content unless you beeline the main quest and skip optional stuff.

well, yeah, if you do absolutely everything of course youre going to be overgeared and overleveled for the main content. ive never heard of an open world RPG that has fixed this issue unless the main quests auto-leveled with you, and that design has its own obvious problems.

if you crank the difficulty up all the way even weak poo poo 10 levels below you will loving destroy you, maybe geralt gets some OP abilities in later levels but i'd be disappointed if he didn't.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

crunk dork posted:

Are the expansions purely end game or am I missing out by not having them in first play through

ive been wondering this cause if so i need to buy them now

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

on easy and normal you can basically do whatever you want in a fight as long as the enemy doesn't drastically outlevel you, and even then, once you have witcher gear or solid armor in general you could probably take on that level 18 gargoyle at level 12 and take a couple of hits from it

hard and v. hard is where enemies actually become more aggressive and know how to dodge and block, so you need to use your head. plus you dont get free heals from meditating

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

There's a new game plus

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the only thing that has upset me in this game so far is that they do that dumb thing where vendors have their own wallets and they can run out of money buying stuff from you, it can be pretty annoying when you just want to unload junk on some random merchant and hes loving dirt poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its actually recommended you 100% the tutorial area before you do anything else lmao. youll be fine on the main quest but literally everything else past the tut. is extremely dangerous

crunk dork posted:

The card game in this game seems extremely cool... Possible contender for god tier mini card game in rpg along with triple triad

it seems like they put a lot of love into this as well but i have 300% ignored it. im here to kill poo poo not play some weird strat game within an rpg game. thank GOD you are never ever forced to play it at all and it is 100% optional. witcher 2 would make you play its gambling thing various times cause i guess the programmers behind it would be furious if there was a possibility players would never even see that poo poo and it sucked i had no idea what was going on

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 1, 2016

• Locked thread