Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain

Ace of Baes posted:

The testing is the same across the board, special units just have barriers to entry called "schools" that require you to do weird or difficult things before joining their unit. Also Ive ran an 11:40 2-mile as a smoker and knew a smoker who was on the all army 10 mile team. (Competitive team of some of the best runners in the army)

Not saying that smoking doesnt gently caress your run up but you can still be fast or have endurance while being a smoker.

please dont smoke i dont want you to have cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

i loving hate planks. like i dunno why but i find them too tedious.

same.

I do sit ups while sitting on one of those big blue inflatable workout balls to help protect my back.

FutonForensic

i don't like planks because it means i have to be still, and when i'm still i think, and when i think i get all moody and existential and before you know it i'm crying six inches above the ground

SIDS Vicious

i am off to the gym again tonight and then im gonna go to my buddies and play blood bowl 2 but first i have to exercise

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm a 23yo vehicle tech so my back is hosed, sit-ups are pretty bad for aggravating lower back injuries so I do my best to avoid them.
I just find planking works a lot better for me anyway.

I think it's really important to have a solid core workout that remains part of your gameplan, and it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

Ace of Baes posted:

The testing is the same across the board, special units just have barriers to entry called "schools" that require you to do weird or difficult things before joining their unit. Also Ive ran an 11:40 2-mile as a smoker and knew a smoker who was on the all army 10 mile team. (Competitive team of some of the best runners in the army)

Not saying that smoking doesnt gently caress your run up but you can still be fast or have endurance while being a smoker.

I've heard of people doing this, obviously no one is going to champion it but it's probably not going to be a huge problem unless you've got a heavy amount of cross-country running in your workout plan, I suppose.

Piso Mojado

Celluloid Sam posted:

i am off to the gym again tonight and then im gonna go to my buddies and play blood bowl 2 but first i have to exercise

good for you sid

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think it's really important to have a solid core workout that remains part of your gameplan, and it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

I've heard of people doing this, obviously no one is going to champion it but it's probably not going to be a huge problem unless you've got a heavy amount of cross-country running in your workout plan, I suppose.

I did a half as a smoker and came in 8th out of 2 or 300 hundred but the moral of the story is i probably would have came in 3rd or 4th if I wasnt.

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

I did a half as a smoker and came in 8th out of 2 or 300 hundred but the moral of the story is i probably would have came in 3rd or 4th if I wasnt.

It's just going to make your training overall that much more difficult. The lungs won't as tenaciously be compressing air as they would if you wouldn't smoke, and stuff like that, I guess.

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

yeah, totally. I firmly believe that the best workout is one you enjoy doing. for most people, if you aren't enjoying your workout you are more likely to fall out of your routine.

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

yeah but what do you think those results would look like in 5 years time? the fact of the matter is many of the people going through training are too young to have been smoking long enough to really have suffered long term, rate limiting effects.

Ace of Baes

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah but what do you think those results would look like in 5 years time? the fact of the matter is many of the people going through training are too young to have been smoking long enough to really have suffered long term, rate limiting effects.

Id been smoking for over 5 years at the time lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

what was your time greg?

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

Id been smoking for over 5 years at the time lol

you misread my point

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Ace of Baes posted:

yep

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah, totally. I firmly believe that the best workout is one you enjoy doing. for most people, if you aren't enjoying your workout you are more likely to fall out of your routine.

I think what most people struggle with is motivation, and nothing saps your motivation like working out so hard you hurt yourself. I suggest extreme caution when it comes to not over-training when you first set out.

Ace of Baes

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

what was your time greg?

I dont remember but I think around 7 min/mile avg.

let i hug

Ace of Baes posted:

Ace of Baes posted:

I dont remember but I think around 7 min/mile avg.

i wish i was fast. also consistent about my running. gently caress the winter/being busy, though. hopefully reading about people being active will guilt me into it

Ace of Baes

let i hug posted:

i wish i was fast. also consistent about my running. gently caress the winter/being busy, though. hopefully reading about people being active will guilt me into it

All you have to do is run a lot and make sure you have good form, unless you want to be a professional athlete or something its literally that simple

SIDS Vicious

i did 3 chinups today

hemale in pain

Celluloid Sam posted:

i did 3 chinups today

my protip for chinups is lose loads of weight and you can do like a million

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Lol if you're not crying 30 seconds into a 2 min plank, it's just eye sweat I swear

GoodbyeTurtles

New plank routine: 7 minutes of heaven

Minute 1: Reg pushup style plank
Minute 2 & 3: side planks
Minute 4: reverse plank
Minute 5: elbow plank
Minute 6: bridge (lay on back, legs & head/back off floor)
Minute 7: bowl (same but on you front)

I just planked so hard I nearly puked

SIDS Vicious

hemale in pain posted:

my protip for chinups is lose loads of weight and you can do like a million

yeah but i can do 3 and weigh 180, two weeks ago i weighed the same and could do none, the weight loss is less important to me than the muscle gain

Ace of Baes
youre not gaining any muscle your body is just learning how to use its muscles better, actual muscle growth takes months to years, and not on gear its only realistic to gain 12-14 lbs of muscle a year max

edit: keep up on trying tho, i went from being able to only do 2 or 3 pull ups to 15-17 in about 6 months

a good way to iimprove is to jump to get up then lower yourself as slowly as possible and repeat until you cant lower yourself without falling

GoodbyeTurtles

I started doing pullups holding onto the landing as I went down stairs every morning for a while. I got to the point of being able to bang out 10 quite easily then stopped because playing over the stairs is silly.

SIDS Vicious

oh yeah i know it takes a lot i mean i am also doing at least 10 seperate weight training exercise, generally 3 sets of 12 reps for each, i just meant i lost quite a bit of weight from being sick last year and haven't gained too much of it back so that isnt my biggest concern with my gym visits. i do 30 sit ups now and 30 leg raises and i am plateaued at 20 pushups but im gonna try for 25 tomorrow

SIDS Vicious

today i did my usual routine at the gym and in the same amount of time as usual i biked 7 miles instead of six, and i did 8 chinups today, in two sets of 4

GoodbyeTurtles

I am not good at altitude and need to train myself to breathe

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I am not good at altitude and need to train myself to breathe

Train in a gas mask. It won't help, but it'll make you look like Psycho Mantis.

GoodbyeTurtles

Shine posted:

I want to look like a metal gear villain & breathe like an athsmatic pug in a judgement free zone.

Matoi Ryuko

Shine posted:

I just hold my breath until I wake up a few hours later on the floor. I'm ready to fight at altitude now.

Matoi Ryuko

https://i.imgur.com/4F5smC7.webm

hemale in pain

i keep meaning to try some rock climbing nearby but im so poor and biking keeps getting expensive (stuff breaks)

SIDS Vicious

i need some advice from the experts, is it okay if i go to the gym two days in a row and should i try and avoid doing the same exercises i di dyesterday?

Piso Mojado

Celluloid Sam posted:

i need some advice from the experts, is it okay if i go to the gym two days in a row and should i try and avoid doing the same exercises i di dyesterday?

it's fine for most ppl to repeat light routines (never when your in pain tho), but you should maybe try something new instead! the more stuff you try, the more options you will have in the future which will keep your workouts exciting, fresh.

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority

Celluloid Sam posted:

The "bigger picture" answer to this is that you should pick a reputable gym routine and follow it to the letter until you're experienced enough to answer this sort of question for yourself. A big mistake people make is to go to the gym without a good plan and as a result they are still "exercising" but not making anywhere near as much progress as they could. 45 minutes of effective training takes just as long as 45 minutes of dicking around so IMO make sure you do the former.

Piso Mojado

Shine posted:

The "bigger picture" answer to this is that you should pick a reputable gym routine and follow it to the letter until you're experienced enough to answer this sort of question for yourself. A big mistake people make is to go to the gym without a good plan and as a result they are still "exercising" but not making anywhere near as much progress as they could. 45 minutes of effective training takes just as long as 45 minutes of dicking around so IMO make sure you do the former.

I think eventually finding a routine that balances what you enjoy with your personal fitness goals is where everyone wants to be, but there are lots of reasons a person might not want to jump into a strict routine from the get go. Some people do better with structure when starting, but others do not and trying to find the most "effective" workout can lead people to fall off.

To use myself as an example - I used to make myself a strict routine and stay committed to it, but eventually like clockwork i would fall out of it slowly, get out of shape, and then start the cycle off anew. I repeated this pattern for years.. Eventually, I found that i had two issues. First off, i would get bored with my program - it would stop feeling fun and become more like work. That would suck, but the biggest thing for me though was eating. Trying to eat enough to gain weight (im not a large dude) was/is REALLY difficult for me. Anyways, I realized that I would get obsessed with the PERFECT routine/diet, so much so that i eventually hated all of it and it would become easier for my subconscious to find excuses not to go. Sooo...one day I just made my own program with exercises that i liked doing and a diet that was more manageable. Is it completely balanced...no. Is it the most effective, efficient use of my time there....definitely not. But in the long term it is better for me because i am more likely to stick to it.

Every person is different tho, so sid just follow your heart.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2016

hemale in pain

it's cold outside and i don't wanna bike today :ohdear:

alnilam

It's 8 F and I'm about to suit up for the ride to work :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

It's cold outside and school just started so I look forward to a new round of new year resolutionists for a couple weeks. Woo

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

• Locked thread