Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get a cheap road bike for my travels but I have no idea what to look for

hi,
the brand doesnt matter since most frames come from like 2 different factories in taiwan, but pay attention to the groupset, which is the chainring and gear levers and stuff like that. u cant go wrong with shimano or campagnolo components. for 400-500 u can get a nice bike with shimano tiagra stuff or something like that on it. and buy a new bike cos old ones are just not as good. technology is improving fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I

Piso Mojado posted:

i dont know much about mountain biking but arm pain is generally a bike fit issue for normal cycling. are your hands numbing at all? That is a kind of pulsy on your ulnar nerve (cycling pulsy if you want to look it up) and can cause nerve dmg over time. may just need a new, higher angle stem on your bike that will raise the bars. most bike shops will just swap out your stems (no charge) in that case.

i doubt theres any way you can sit on a mountain bike that would damage your arms .. its probably more like he just doesnt ride often and the muscles arent being used. my triceps were sore for about a week when i came back from a broken hip a couple of years ago

I.N.R.I

Ace of Baes posted:

Had a patient a couple years ago who had wrist pain and numbness from cycling a couple hundred miles a week, he was on a road bike, but i imagine same thing could happen on a mountain bike.

theres a lot more weight on your arms when you ride with a road position. not that anyone should be getting arm injuries either way

I.N.R.I

Pizzatime posted:

one that has me die the latest

theres no secrets or shortcuts. eat well, stretch daily, and do cardiovascular exercise

I.N.R.I
i will add that stretching is really important, those old guys you see walking around at 200 yards per hour with zimmer frames and stuff are generally people who lived sedentary lives, you can at least avoid ending up like that with regular stretching

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm really bad at keeping a stretching routine going. I can't figure it out.

you can avoid a lot of common acute injuries with stretching, and its good for posture. its easy to feel like its not doing anything because you dont get anything measurable from it in the short term but you should stick to it because it really will help in the long term

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get into the routine of stretching before climbing because to warm up I generally just climb easy stuff as soon as I get to the gym.

i think climbing alone is good enough. its a great way to exercise in general. stretching is most important for sports with limited motion like running and cycling, and especially for people who dont do anything at all.

I.N.R.I

Ace of Baes posted:

what do you think about the studies that came out a couple years ago saying stretching before running increases your chances of injury?
This is a mediocre article but it touches on it
http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs

I stopped stretching before running and only stretch after long runs (5+ miles) and haven't any injuries save for a couple minor ones in about 5 years, Im also super strict about my form and use my first mile or two as a slow warm up though

i dont know if thats true or not, im neither science savvy or super into running. i stretched last year when i was running half marathons and as a competitive cyclist i stretch before i warm up or i feel bad on the bike but theres also really very little chance of getting a stress injury from riding a bike. i suppose people should make their own minds up on that one, but whether people choose to stretch right before they run or not, they shouldnt be dissuaded from stretching at all

I.N.R.I

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hey there fitness goons, I have like 2 1/2 weeks to get in shape for snowboarding. I have pathetic calves, and poo poo stamina. Are there some at-home exercises I could do to train? I've found sets of jumping jacks are extremely taxing on my calves, so I guess I can start there. #skinnyfat

not much you can do at home in 2 and a half weeks im afraid. but you could ride a bike maybe 350 or more miles each week, or approx. 15 hours a week for 2 weeks without really risking injury ... youd be riding through cramp and a lot of fatigue though. if you actually decide to attempt something like that make sure you eat a lot of salt and protein

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 9, 2016

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I am not good at altitude and need to train myself to breathe

nobody is except for people who live at altitude. it takes about 2 months of hard training to adjust

I.N.R.I

lmbo calrissian posted:

wat r u guys trying to prove being competitive distance runners. how high does it get u. who sucks ur dick.

its my job. i race bikes though

I.N.R.I

shabbat goy posted:

INRI, what's the best food to take with me for 50+ mile rides? Clif bars are too hard to chew and waste my precious calories on my jaw muscles, and Gu tastes nasty.

man i eat all sorts. gels mostly but hard food every so often is necessary too. if you dont like gu try high5 or another brand, they all have roughly the same amount of carbs etc. anyway i eat everything from onigiri to haribo. a sandwich is nice, i like to hollow the white poo poo out of a bread bun when i make them cos i dont like digesting it when im riding. whatever you make though, try wrapping small portions of it in tinfoil like a tiny parcel and just emptying it into your mouth, i like to do that with salmon and rice

I.N.R.I

Piso Mojado posted:

hey inri. what's your opinion on training with power meters? is it worth the money?

if you race and like to do well then its worth the money. i hear theyre getting pretty cheap since a lot of companies are making them now. like i dont know of a single team that isnt using them. you can tell exactly how good you are on a given day by seeing your wattage, and measure your progress over time without concern for variables like wind and traffic lights and terrain. i mean no amount of educated guesswork can compare. a heart rate monitor might be the next best thing, but you could be ill and have an elevated heart rate and not even know you were under the weather. but youd be able to see it with a power meter because youd lose power. you could be riding up a 1% gradient and not feel the extra effort, but youd know with a power meter. you get the idea

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I was up mount teidé (highest point in Spain, not really in Spain 3712meters) and I found I could only walk at my usual pace for a little before getting kinda lightheaded.

I want to be a mountaineer so I'll have to put in the training to level up from sea level dwelling baby

something to note about altitude training: the benefits go away after a short while once you return to a regular altitude, theyre not permanent. so if you have problems with altitude sickness id suggest an oxygen tank instead unless you can like get 2 months training in every time you want to climb a mountain at high altitude. i mean it really depends how high you want to climb. anyway i only have small experience at altitude myself so im really just repeating what ive been told

I.N.R.I
cranks. supposedly theyre the most accurate but i doubt theres a significant difference. but more importantly you can change wheels with them. although at the same time with a hub you can use the same power meter across multiple bikes so maybe youd prefer that. good luck with your races :-) i never liked crits but i still have to do them. theyre pretty brutal in britain

I.N.R.I
if you exercise for looks then you're better off measuring your progress by looking in a mirror than at some scales

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

This is a good idea but I need to figure out how to keep a bike on a roofrack

sideways :P

I.N.R.I

Shine posted:

You don't need to use any sort of powder to bulk.

not strictly true ... you can go for a swim and then roll around in flour to become the Stay puft man.

I.N.R.I

lmbo calrissian posted:

how do i get the heartbreakingly hot trainer guys to notice me without working hard?

You could stab them

I.N.R.I

lmbo calrissian posted:

I have about 0 motivation at gym. Ok not 0, but little enough to consider quitting. I'm a QUITTER!! I have no FOCUS!! NO DRIVE!!

I wish I was just an overweight girl so I can just do cardio!! :cool:

U could try getting some steroids from a chinese research chemical website

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

My goal is to go from 135 to 165 as fast as possible

Wear a backpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I've been working my rear end off for years and have never made a friend because of it.

join a club :-]

• Locked thread