Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The lit babies need spoonfeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
plays to try: those eugene o'niel ones where all the dialogue is written out phonetically so you know they've got an accent

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's the remix to ignition
Written by Henrik Ibsen
Makes you think about morals
And the human condition

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

PLAYS TO TRY

GREEK
Aeschylus – The Oresteia
Aristophanes – Lyistrata
Euripides – Medea
Sophocles – The Oedipus Cycle

AFRICAN
Benjamin Kent (Ghana) – The Bus
Samwel Soko Osebe (Kenya) -- The New Bwana
Atwine Bashir Kenneth (Uganda) – Dear Mother
Stanley Makuw (Zimbabwe) – The Coup
Wole Soyinka (Nigeria) – Death and the King's Horseman; The Lion and the Jewel; A Play of Giants; The Swamp Dwellers

NORWEGIAN

Henrick Ibsen – A Doll's House; An Enemy of the People; Ghosts; Hedda Gabler

FRENCH/ BRITISH-FRENCH

Samuel Beckett – Waiting for Godot
Eugene Ionesco - Rhinoceros
Moliere – The Misanthrope
Yasmina Reza – God of Carnage
Jean-Paul Sartre – No Exit

ITALIAN
Ezio D'Errico -- The Anthill; Time of the Locusts
Dario Fo – Accidental Death of an Anarchist
Carlo Gozzi – The Green Bird
Niccolo Machiavelli – The Mandrake
Luigi Pirandello – Six Characters In Search of an Author

RUSSIAN
Anton Chekov -- The Seagull; Three Sisters; The Cherry Orchard; Uncle Vanya; Ivanov
Nikolai Gogol -- The Government Inspector; Diary of a Madman
Natalia Pelevine -- I Plead Guilty
Alexander Pushkin -- Eugene Onegin

AUSTRALIAN
Andrew Bovell -- Speaking in Tongues (Lantana)
Jimmy Chi -- Bran Nue Dae
Nick Enright & Justin Monjo -- Cloudstreet
Michael Gow -- Away
Steven Herrick -- The Simple Gift
Dorothy Hewett -- The Man from Mukinupin
Ray Lawler -- Summer of the Seventeeth Doll
Tommy Murphy -- Holding the Man
Louis Nowra -- Cosi
David Williamson -- Don's Party

BRITISH
Aphra Behn – Oroonoko
Jez Butterworth – Jerusalem
Caryl Churchill – Cloud 9; Top Girls
William Congreve – The Way of the World
George Etherege -The Man of Mode
Michael Frayn – Noises Off
Brian Friel – Dancing at Lughnasa; Translations
Christopher Fry – The Lady's Not for Burning
Oliver Goldsmith – She Stoops to Conquer
Ben Jonson – Volpone
Christopher Marlowe – Doctor Faustus
Harold Pinter – The Homecoming
Nina Raine -- Tribes
Peter Shaffer – Equus
George Bernard Shaw – Major Barbara, Mrs. Warren's Professions; Saint Joan
Richard Brinsley Sheridan – The Rivals
Richard Steele – The Conscious Lovers
Tom Stoppard – Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead; Arcadia
John Millington Synge – The Playboy of the Western World; Riders to the Sea
Oscar Wilde – Lady Windermere's Fan, The Importance of Being Earnest
William Wycherley – The Country Wife

AMERICAN
Edward Albee – Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, The Zoo Story, The Goat
Annie Baker – Circle Mirror Transformation
Alan Bennett – The History Boys
Julia Cho - BFE
Margaret Edson – Wit
David Feldshuh – Miss Evers' Boys
Susan Glaspell -- Trifles
Prince Gomolvilas – The Theory of Everything
Stephen Adly Guirgis – The Lasy Days of Judas Iscariot
Lorraine Hansberry – A Raisin in the Sun
Lillian Hellman – The Little Foxes,Toys in the Attic, Watch on the Rhine
Amy Herzog – 4000 Miles
David Henry Hwang – M. Butterfly
Denis Johnson – Soul of a Whore, Purvis
Rajiv Joseph – Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo
Larry Kramer – The Normal Heart
Tony Kushner – Angels In America
Jerome Lawrence & Robert Edwin Lee – Inherit The Wind
Tracy Letts – August: Osage County
John Logan -- Red
Archibald MacLeish – J.B.
David Mamet – American Buffalo, Glengarry Glen Ross, Oleanna, Speed the Plow
Arthur Miller – All My Sons , The Crucible
Martin McDonagh – The Pillowman
Marsha Norman – 'night, Mother
Eugene O'Neill – Desire Under the Elms; Long Day's Journey Into The Night; Mourning Becomes Electra
John Pielmeier – Agnes of God
Paul Rudnick -- Jeffrey
John Patrick Shanley – Doubt
Diana Son – Stop Kiss
Paula Vogel – The Baltimore Waltz; How I Learned To Drive
Wendy Wasserstein – Uncommon Women and Others
Thornton Wilder – Our Town
August Wilson -- Fences; Joe Turner's Come and Gone; Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; The Piano Lesson
Tennessee Williams – Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; The Glass Menagerie; The Night of the Iguanas

SHAKESPEARE
Antony and Cleopatra
As You Like It
Hamlet
Henry IV, Parts I and II
Henry V
King Lear
Macbeth
The Merchant of Venice
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Much Ado About Nothing
Othello
Richard III
Romeo and Juliet
The Tempest
Titus Andronicus

I tried to keep with a lot of variety. I know the American section is large, but it's the biggest mix of genre, sexual orientation, gender, race, availability, modern/classics, awards, etc. Apologies for not being able to include noteworthy works from more countries in an attempt at ease, brevity and time efficiency.

Cool list, thank you for the effort post

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Talas posted:

Same here.

I just can't stand poetry... well, maybe some epic poetry, but that's a whole different animal.

Garrison Keillor's "good poems" are generally good. I am not big on poetry, but I really enjoy it.

When I have to teach poetry in class, I will skip the text book and just pull stuff from there

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The lit babies need spoonfeeding.

They should be spoonfed rat poison

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Roydrowsy posted:

Garrison Keillor's "good poems" are generally good. I am not big on poetry, but I really enjoy it.

When I have to teach poetry in class, I will skip the text book and just pull stuff from there

It's a fine collection but for people going AGH POETRY it sure has a lot of poetry. Let's just tell them to read a little chapbook or something and suffer for the cause.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Corrode posted:

I'm figuring out the categories for next year's booklord challenge and I think I'm mostly settled, but I figured I'd ask - is there anything that anyone especially wants to see included? Can be stuff from previous years, stuff that's not been done before but that you'd like, whatever. I have 20 settled already so probably only a couple more to include if anything good comes up.

I just had an idea for one -- a book about a book/books. This could be nonfiction (something about the history of the book, for example) or fiction (If on a winter's night a traveler, The Eyre Affair, A Canticle for Leibowitz, for example) .

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

All books are about books if you really think about it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Dictionary of the Khazars isn't. It's about eggs

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
An ex-colleague of mine was very proud of this theory he'd hatched, which basically said that all books are telling about dreams. War and Peace? A very elaborate dream. Master and Margarita? Clearly a dream. Moore's Jerusalem? A fever dream if I've seen one.

I don't think he had a further point though. He was... an interesting man.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Make it that all books are dreams except those that are explicitly dreams and you've got yourself a theory

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

I'm figuring out the categories for next year's booklord challenge and I think I'm mostly settled, but I figured I'd ask - is there anything that anyone especially wants to see included? Can be stuff from previous years, stuff that's not been done before but that you'd like, whatever. I have 20 settled already so probably only a couple more to include if anything good comes up.

Two more:

Read a book in the public domain/from Project Gutenberg

Participate in a BotM / Read a book from the BotM archive.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
This covers the end of October to the first bit of December. It looks like I'll finish up the BookLord challenge this week, and I've met my personal goal of reading at least one work of fiction every month (though I cut it close a bit at the beginning of the year).

98. The Invisibles (Deluxe Vol 3), by Grant Morrison

This series feels like it just keeps getting better. This volume transplants the action to America, where we have X-Files influenced stories, more Biblical references, and multiple time-travel plots. In particular, the arcs are more cohesive and their sprawling wonderment has more scaffolding, though I feel that various threads from the previous volume are not pursued enough here.

99. Is That a Fish in Your Ear?, by David Bellos

This is a very meta, almost postmodern, book about translation in theory and in practice. Bellos attacks a lot of myths about translation: it’s not true poetry, humor, etc. cannot be translated, and he gives great counter—arguments. He also explains some real challenges to the field, such as the quadratic relation of language pairs to distinct languages leading to most possible translations happening either through just a few mediating ‘core’ languages (English very much first) or not at all. Read this book if you’re already familiar with a bit of linguistic theory or don’t mind looking it up and want to get in a good few hundred pages specifically on translation.

100. God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian, by Kurt Vonnegut

Vonnegut’s premise here is that he has Dr. Kevorkian lethally inject and then resuscitate him, several dozen times, at the Huntsville, Texas, maximum security prison, all in order to file stories for WNYC from the afterlife beat. It’s clever, funny, and sad. Saying too much would spoil the book, as it’s a super-short read (twenty minutes for me). Just a little snack if you’re hungry for Vonnegut, I suppose.

101. The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns, by Sasha Issenberg

So this is about the evolving nature of campaign strategy for US presidential elections. I read it before Nov 8, and thought it was fascinating. In retrospect, there are a lot of good, applicable, things here, and it would be worth your time to read it for the simple reason that it’s not someone desperately trying to show that they were right all along. Approach it critically, with current sources in mind. You’ve certainly spent a lot of time reading bullshit self-serving “what went wrong?” takes already so give this a shot.

102. East of West (TPB Vol 1), by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta

This graphic novel is science fiction meets alternate history meets western meets anime. Three of the four horsemen of the apocalypse are looking for their absconded comrade (who searches for love!), in a North America that was shattered long ago in the Civil War. It sounds intriguing, but there’s a lot to roll your eyes at, unfortunately. Perhaps the writer has tried to make too epic of a storyline for his skills.

103. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, by John le Carré

I say that this is a mystery because a chapter near the end concludes with an almost explicit “Can you figure out what’s really going on?” to the reader, just before all is revealed. It’s a spy book, set mostly in Germany and England during the Cold War. It’s tense, has good characters, and is really well done. I’m glad the challenge had this category, or I might have never read it.

104. The Hidden Wealth of Nations, by Gabriel Zucman

So if you add up the books of the world’s corporations, you wind up with a total global assets that is some six trillion dollars lower than total global liabilities. These numbers should be equal, by GAAP. So there are six trillion dollars in assets that are simply not there; the question is, where are they? How are they hidden? And what are the consequences of this? This is a laser-tight exploration of these questions, and is simply a great read. If you want to learn how those who are willing to play loose with the spirit of the law can accumulate wealth safe from any prying taxmen, look no further.

105. Why Not Me?, by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling’s latest is a collection of short humor pieces that I absolutely love. If you at al appreciate her style of comedy, you’ll enjoy this.

106. Abolition Democracy, by Angela L. Davis

Angela Davis is an anti-prison activist, and this book-length interview has her explain how the fundamental notion of prisons as we currently have them is incompatible with democracy. She’s certainly one of the most prominent radicals on the subject around, and her views are well worth getting familiar with. This would be a good starting point for that.

107. The Last Picture Show, by Larry McMurtry

This novel is about a small Texas town where there’s little happening besides football and loving. It’s a brilliant portrait that focuses on a few young people dealing with their comings of age. It’s both tender and honest, and extremely well written. This was my first McMurtry novel, and I’m sure to come back to him now.

108. Gold Boy, Emerald Girl, by Yiyun Li

Yiyun’s short story collection has connecting themes of adopted and lost parents, and elderly people who grew up before the ascendency of Communism. It reads in many ways like a Chinese Dubliners, especially with its choice of characters to focus on and plot structures. Very highly recommended.

109. War Games: Inside the World of 20th-Century War Reenactors, by Jenny Thompson

Thompson takes her years of active participation and study of war reenactors (of the two World Wars mainly) and turns it into a cultural portrait. It has a fascinating mix of anecdote and theory, and of sympathy and criticism. She comes around to the idea that this type of war reenaction at least is primarily an attempt to form personal connections with and ownership of shared history.

110. The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use “Plain English” to Rob You Blind, by David Cay Johnston

It needs to be said up front that this book is less about contractual fine print than about market abuses, especially monopolies, laws that artificially increase corporate power, and non-transparency of companies. It is absolutely essential reading. Johnston’s quality of writing and research is impeccable, and he chooses his subjects so well. The way our monopolies, capitalists and government interact is absolutely awful in the US; many could tell you that but I haven’t seen any book succeed so well at both the nitty-gritty and the big picture as Johnston does here.

111. Let the Students Speak!, by David L. Hudson Jr.

Hudson’s book seems designed for a high school or underclassmen study of free expression in schools. It would be a great tool for that, and is also pretty enjoyable just by itself. Hudson lays the groundwork well (no previous legal study necessary) and connects the dots between the different court interpretations of the First Amendment, showing both the trajectory and current battlefields of student speech. All your favorite cases are here, from Pledge of Allegiance refusal to Bong Hits for Jesus.

112. Fagin the Jew: A Reinvention of Dickens’s Classic Character, by Will Eisner

This is a very late in life graphic novel from Eisner. Framed as a direct rebuttal from Fagin to Dickens about his portrayal in Oliver Twist, this novel explores Eisner’s thoughts on stereotypes and archetypes, on empathy for the villainous (in both the modern and archaic senses). Eisner uses Dickensian tropes of adoption and unknown heritage to build a sympathetic backstory for Fagin, from whom he sands off some rough edges. Eisner’s Fagin is still a brute and a criminal, though some of the explicit awful acts Dickens’s Fagin commits are here ignored. Does this lack of sheer demonization improve the character, his role in Twist’s story? See for yourself! The writing, artwork, and lettering are, as befits Eisner, exemplary.

113. How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, by Sarah Glidden

Glidden has written a graphic travelog of her Birthright tour of Israel. She has a very interesting visual style: cartoonish line work combines with a watercolor scheme that blasts authenticity into her scenery. She grapples with the history and politics of Israel and Palestine throughout; it’s complicated for her. This would be a good book for a young person who hasn’t really thought much about the Holy Land before; I enjoyed it as well.

114. Souther Bastards: Here Was a Man (TPB Vol 1), by Jason Aaron and Jason Latour

In a lot of ways this was the flip side of The Last Picture Show. Depicting rather than describing, action instead of thought, pulp instead of literature. It’s about an old guy coming back to small town Alabama and not liking what he finds there. In true pulp fashion, the authorial god sends him a holy weapon and he decides to start cracking skulls with it. It doesn’t like up to it’s potential for me; it uses the trappings of Southern life without accessing its core, and feels inauthentic even for country pulp.

115. Chew (Omnivore Edition Vol 1), by John Layman and Rob Guillory

So this guy has a superpower where whatever he eats, he gets visions of its past. The more he eats, the more he sees. He uses this power to solve murder cases. Yes, cannibalism. It’s gross, exciting and hilarious. If you’ve never had your stomach churn from a comic book, try this one.

116. The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For, by Alison Bechdel

Bechdel selects strips from across the continuity of DTWOF (1987 - 2008), roughly two thirds of all her strips, to create this massive collection. It’s an evolving time capsule of the common lives of gender and sexual minorities, and works really well as information, entertainment, and nostalgia. Of course, I would commonly read old Doonesbury collections from the 70s and 80s as a child so my affinity for old politics/drama cartoons may be much higher than above-average.

1) Vanilla Number - 116/80
2) Something written by a woman - Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth
3) Something written by a nonwhite author - March
4) Something written in the 1800s - Dracula
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Forgotten Ally: China’s World War II 1937-1945
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Cujo
7) A collection of essays. - Men Explain Things to Me
8) A work of Science Fiction - Nova
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Sea and Civilization
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Ex Machina
13) Read Something YA - A Wrinkle in Time
14) Wildcard! - Loath Letters
15) Something recently published - The Making of Donald Trump
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now - Masters of Doom
17) The First book in a series - Ancillary Justice
18) A biography or autobiography - A Lawyer’s Life
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - And The Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks
20) Read a banned book - The Handmaid’s Tale
21) A Short Story collection - Dubliners
22) It’s a Mystery. - The Spy Who Came In From the Cold

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

nerdpony posted:

I just had an idea for one -- a book about a book/books. This could be nonfiction (something about the history of the book, for example) or fiction (If on a winter's night a traveler, The Eyre Affair, A Canticle for Leibowitz, for example) .

A Canticle for Leibowitz is about a blueprint, not a book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Book Riot has already posted the 2017 Read Harder Challenge

The list has six special guest contributors this year: Daniel José Older, Sarah MacLean, Roxane Gay, Celeste Ng, Ausma Zehanat Khan, and Jacqueline Koyanagi

2017 READ HARDER posted:

1. Read a book about sports.
2. Read a debut novel.
3. Read a book about books.
4. Read a book set in Central or South America, written by a Central or South American author.
5. Read a book by an immigrant or with a central immigration narrative.
6. Read an all-ages comic.
7. Read a book published between 1900 and 1950.
8. Read a travel memoir.
9. Read a book you’ve read before.
10. Read a book that is set within 100 miles of your location.
11. Read a book that is set more than 5000 miles from your location.
12. Read a fantasy novel.
13. Read a nonfiction book about technology.
14. Read a book about war.
15. Read a YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+.
16. Read a book that has been banned or frequently challenged in your country.
17. Read a classic by an author of color.
18. Read a superhero comic with a female lead.
19. Read a book in which a character of color goes on a spiritual journey (From Daniel José Older, author of Salsa Nocturna, the Bone Street Rumba urban fantasy series, and YA novel Shadowshaper)
20. Read an LGBTQ+ romance novel (From Sarah MacLean, author of ten bestselling historical romance novels)
21. Read a book published by a micropress. (From Roxane Gay, bestselling author of Ayiti, An Untamed State, Bad Feminist, Marvel’s World of Wakanda, and the forthcoming Hunger and Difficult Women)
22. Read a collection of stories by a woman. (From Celeste Ng, author Everything I Never Told You and the forthcoming Little Fires Everywhere)
23. Read a collection of poetry in translation on a theme other than love. (From Ausma Zehanat Khan, author of the Esa Khattak/Rachel Getty mystery series, including The Unquiet Dead, The Language of Secrets, and the forthcoming Among the Ruins)
24. Read a book wherein all point-of-view characters are people of color. (From Jacqueline Koyanagi, author of sci-fi novel Ascension)

Compared to the 2016 Read Harder Challenge, there's a lot more comic book and genre-specific qualifications, and doesn't have as much variety. The actual challenges are much more specific. What's "reading harder" about re-reading a book? There's a noticeably much stronger push on reading books by "authors of color" instead of specific countries/continents. Having tried to stick with the 2016 challenge, I had a hard time trying to find a book that fit "First Book in a Series written by a person of color" that was outside of Fantasy/Romance or that would fit my interest. The fact that two are "Read Fantasy" and "Read a LGBTQ+ Romance Novel" is off-putting, since I hate those genres (I don't mind the LGBTQ+ angle, but Romance is mostly dogshit).

Something to think about for those planning on doing a challenge again in 2017.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's kind of bad. I mean I fully get + support that they want to get people reading more diverse fiction (and, uh, Wonder Woman comics I guess) but fully half of those are "read stuff by minorities" in increasingly bizarrely specific ways

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A book about a person of color on a spiritual journey stands out as bizarrely specific and vague. A book with only minority characters seems ripe for pedantic debate. "There was that section with the white mailman, so I guess it doesn't count".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Eh I don't think it's all that bad and I like that it's not the usual "read a book by one woman and one black person" then 20 other generic challenges (as if you couldn't do a woman/POC/LGBTQ version of every permeation of "romance, fantasy, biography" in the first place)

The romance is a little lame but I don't think that necessarily means shiny cover romance; the "spiritual journey" one is a little specific but again when you think of how many books are like that it should be easy to find one with a POC; I also don't think you can get too pedantic with the minority POV characters since it specifies POV characters; the comics are dumb but DC and Marvel are actually doing decent with their female characters atm (Ms. Marvel being a favorite) so it won't be total torture

I dunno I probably won't be doing it anyway but it's only 24 books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate what they're trying, and BookRiot's staff is mostly female minorities, but the change from this year to next year was a noticeable jump, like they somehow condensed possible choices for each category. I enjoyed the 2016 challenge because it was easier for books subjects to cross over (IE, a book on politics that featured a major character who was transgender; a book on mental illness that was over 500 pages that dealt with sports, etc.) These kind of pigeon-hole this, which again, is probably good, because it will make people read more.

But I'm probably not going to do the 2017 Read Harder Challenge.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Eh I don't think it's all that bad and I like that it's not the usual "read a book by one woman and one black person" then 20 other generic challenges (as if you couldn't do a woman/POC/LGBTQ version of every permeation of "romance, fantasy, biography" in the first place)

The romance is a little lame but I don't think that necessarily means shiny cover romance; the "spiritual journey" one is a little specific but again when you think of how many books are like that it should be easy to find one with a POC; I also don't think you can get too pedantic with the minority POV characters since it specifies POV characters; the comics are dumb but DC and Marvel are actually doing decent with their female characters atm (Ms. Marvel being a favorite) so it won't be total torture

I dunno I probably won't be doing it anyway but it's only 24 books

Yeah, the Romance could be something like The Watchmaker of Filigree St or even maybe The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps. There's more to Romance than bodice rippers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Franchescanado posted:

Book Riot has already posted the 2017 Read Harder Challenge

The list has six special guest contributors this year: Daniel José Older, Sarah MacLean, Roxane Gay, Celeste Ng, Ausma Zehanat Khan, and Jacqueline Koyanagi

Compared to the 2016 Read Harder Challenge, there's a lot more comic book and genre-specific qualifications, and doesn't have as much variety. The actual challenges are much more specific. What's "reading harder" about re-reading a book? There's a noticeably much stronger push on reading books by "authors of color" instead of specific countries/continents. Having tried to stick with the 2016 challenge, I had a hard time trying to find a book that fit "First Book in a Series written by a person of color" that was outside of Fantasy/Romance or that would fit my interest. The fact that two are "Read Fantasy" and "Read a LGBTQ+ Romance Novel" is off-putting, since I hate those genres (I don't mind the LGBTQ+ angle, but Romance is mostly dogshit).

Something to think about for those planning on doing a challenge again in 2017.

Copy pasting this list, enjoy goons

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't know what you guys are griping about, just read Hugo Award nominated LGBT romance Space Raptor Butt Invasion

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Copy pasting this list, enjoy goons

I think you should strive to be more original

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Did the new thread go live yet or I just missing it?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nope I'm doing it post-Christmas. Should be up on the 27th.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

by year's end I'll be three books short for the vanilla challenge, and still miss a few on the booklord challenges. thanks and god bless

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Corrode posted:

Nope I'm doing it post-Christmas. Should be up on the 27th.

Cool. Just thought I missed it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

New thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Guess I'll finish off my year then

Mr. Squishy posted:

1 The Ministery of Fear by Graham Greene. Another thriller where the most interesting thing is the setting, this time London under the blitz. I considered including him as part of the lost generation (born 5 years after Hemmingway) but gently caress it.
2 The Orchard Keeper by Cormac McCarthy. Keepin' it 'Carthy.
3 The Ipcress File by Len Deighton. I liked the film so much I decided to read the book. He goes abroad in this one, and gets a lot more snide remarks in. 17
4 The Candles of Your Eyes by James Purdy. Whole bunch of very short stories. Not as good as his other stuff, to my mind. Considered including him as a beat (same birth year as Burroughs) but gently caress it. 21
5 The Barnum Museum by Steven Milhauser. streets folding like pages in a book... fall through them, feeling only a chill in the air... [text from the about the author slip in a victorian novel... megadose of American Borges but much less lovable to my mind. 13
6 A Visit from the Goon Squad. A novel in the form of a collection of short stories, abandoning what makes novels good. Development and suspense are abandoned as as she ping pongs through lives. Includes a fairly funny cod DFW and some fairly terrible predicted future. The next generation will speak in text speach (remember that?) and, for some reason, all of the stock slides that come with power point. 11
7 The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Of interest to Catholics only.
8 Letters to Sir WIlliam Temple by Dorothy Osbourne. Incredibly charming collection of love letters from the 1600s. One to read again 5
9 Bech: A Life by John Updike. Pretty funny novella in the mold of Pnin. You loving bet I broke down a "The Complete Bech" to make the numbers go up higher.
10 Bech is Back & Bech in Czech by John Updike. The second half, I'm not a bad enough dude to count a 30 page short story as number 11. Less lovable as Bech gets married and has an affair with her sister in short order, reflecting later that it's her fault. That's our John, I guess.
11 A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipul. A guy gets lumbered with property in Africa and doesn't sell at the most oppourtune time. The First Naipul I read, guy's a good stylist. 3
12 A Friend of Kafka by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by the author and many others. Short stories about a Jewish Pole now living in New York who insists in writing in Hebrew by a etc etc. I much preferred the magical ones in this collection.
13 The New Confessions by William Boyd. Another old fake biography by Boyd, this time of a Scottish film director who becomes obsessed with Rosseau. Occasionally so researched the weight of it deforms the book but enjoyable enough. 10
14 The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield. Boy I'd read a lot of these already.
15 The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. Really enjoyed the beginning and end, though I must say I found the conclusion a little stagily unconvincing. 4
16 The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton. Micro-detective stories with about 2 pages of local colour, 6 pages of mystery, then 2 pages where Brown delivers the punchline. Mostly about how hosed-up foreigners are and how rational the Catholic church is. 22
17 The Tremor of Forgery by Patricia Highsmith. There are so many dark intimations of danger in the background that I didn't realize it's basically The Stranger until 20 pages from the end.
18 A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley. I shelved this a while ago as I didn't really think the prose was interesting enough to get me to care. I still think that, to be honest.
19 The Hireling by L.P. Hartley. I bought this because I had the chance to buy The Go Between and didn't so I was feeling guilty. The guy read's fast but is entirely about forelock tugging and so I can see why he was popular in his day and is not at all now.
20 Anne of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennet. Mostly a description of the pottery industry in the early 19th Centuary with a little romance written around it. Some good stuff.
21 Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. I was going to read Sylvia's Lovers but a first google spat out that she called it her most depressing book so I went with this one instead. OK, variable,
22 Persuasion by Jane Austen. You bet I'm trying to read a bunch of women this year. It's good stuff, hurt a bit by my inability to learn character's names, they all seem to be called Frederick or Charles.
23 The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst. This was pressed into my hands with the adjective "Jamesian" which I guess means it's about vicious rich people and nothing really happens. Has all the sex James left out and then some.
24 The Letters of John Cheever edited by Benjamin Cheever. Apparently he only wrote regularly to about 5 people, and Ben went and cut out the catty segments to spare some blushes. The extensive notes are really good though, especially giving background to John's love letters to men.
25 Lois the Witch and other stories by Elizabeth Gaskell. I think this is from a penguin grouping of horror stories, so this collection is all about idiot's misunderstanding of supernatural forces going out and hurting someone. S'good.
26 Correction by Thomas Bernhard as translated by Sophie WIlkins. I found myself thinking of The Cone so I gave this one a re-read.
27 May We be Forgiven by A.M. Homes. I actually bought this in hardback back when I lightly paid attention to current lit (listened to Saturday Review) and it sounded fun and violent, and it does start off with a visceral thrill as the piggy feared elder brother kills about 5 people and then pisses himself, but then it settles down into just low-level unpleasantness over 300 pages. It sort of strains credulity that the guy can't buy aspirin without being barred from the chemist for life. Plot is a satire of crap American lit of successful academic with hollow life learns to love again. I mean, they say he's learnt but he just sort of meekly has stuff imposed on him by the aforesaid unpleasant people. They load this sap up with pets, children, a girlfriend, even somebody else's parents by the end ("it's just a random collection of people!" a grandmother in law remarks on the concluding thanksgiving dinner. I guess I'm meant to smile wryly but, you know, it really just is). I think he's meant to be moving away from materialism but every loving good deed this guy does he's rewarded with stacks of untaxable cash so I'm not sure that's it. The prose is leaden and she thinks that if a joke's good once it's good ten or more so times. Just garbage. 2
28 Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. Yeah, that's the stuff.
29 One Man's Meat by E.B. White. Likable enough series of essays, mostly about farming though occasionally he'll talk about the rise of Hitler or America's place in the world. 7
30 Peace by Gene Wolfe. How do you make closely written childhood memories and theorizing about the nature of truth sci-fi? Sketch a vague framing device and imply some nuclear event. A fun book. 8
31 Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. Maybe sorta light, also my copy didn't have any notes so I didn't get most of the literary parodies.
32 Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers. I'm never smart enough to actually read these to solve them but I just like the characterization of Whimsey.
33 Jamaica Inn by Daphne DuMaurier. It was pointed out to me I've never read any of hers even though it'd take five minutes. Super broad-strokes in everything but she achieves her effects. I really should have read this like... a decade and change ago.
33 Devoted Ladies by M.J. Farrell (Molly Keane). Never heard of her but the publisher puts out some good stuff so I thought it was worth a tug. I had to go back and read the introduction because I wasn't sure what I had just read. A lesbian couple where the butch Jessica torments the lovely Jane to liver-failure, and go on holiday to Ireland where they meet June and, breaking the theme, Piggy who also seem to have a thing going. Published 1934 and without a subsequent obscenity case so things are... well not fuzzy, just absent. Apart from the fact that they hate each other you wouldn't know they're together. Occasionally has great breaks of descriptive fancy and is filled with grotesques. 19
34 Portrait of a Marriage by Vita Sackville-West and Nigel Nicolson. Structurally a very interesting book, as Nige discovered his mother's confession of a disastrous lesbian affair and polished it up for publication. She goes in for fairy-tale romanticizing and he comes in to account for the facts. Which is handy as one sort of gets lost in the fug of family scandals in Vita's text which Nigel manages to pin down quite neatly. Lord Seery, for instance, is first presented as colossal balloon of a person, filled with joy and laughter who was always a joy to the child Vita when he visited (though she was briefed he must be rolled discretely to another room in case he falls dead in front of her mother's bedroom door). Then Nigel comes in with some conservative estimates about any relationship between him and his grandmother ("some patting") before moving in to the financial gifts and ensuing court-case over his will. So it's a broken-backed narrative, with the flush of emotion followed by what actually happened 30 pages later, with a coda added about how they were, against appearances, a very happy married couple, along with a couple of shoe-horned mentions of Virginia Woolf. 18
35 Emma by Jane Austen. Finishing off my birthday present. About 30 pages in I recognized that I had read this before, but still, very good. Austen writes selfish people well.
36 Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell. Much better than Cranford, and a very enjoyable 19th Centuary novel.
37 Arthurian Romances by Chrétien de Troyes in a prose translation bt William W. Kibler and Carleton W. Carrol. All the lances splintering against gorgets you could ask for. Episodic stories of knights knocking against each other like conkers, but they group of stories definitely explore a theme (Eric and Enide about love, the Story of the Grail about morality) which I guess is why Troyes was a genius.Translation is miles away from the original, of course, but I don't feel the urge to go and learn medieval French, to be honest.
38 Right Ho Jeeves by P.G. Woodhouse. The weather was nice so I read a Woodhouse. This is the one where Betram upsets the chef by convincing everybody to dolefully decline their food in a lovelorn manner, if you're interested.
39 Cities of the Red Night by William S. Burroughs. First book of his that I've read where he was sober enough to carry on a story in between chapters, though it falls apart a bit midway through.
40 The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth as translated by Michael Hoffman. This is really good. Traditional European novel structure that I really like but Roth's ability to conjure an apropos image. I had left it for a while as it seemed a little beefy but this read really fast.
41 The Wings of the Dove by Henry James. A full novel of James is too much James for me. 16
42 The Nether World by George Gissing. Completing this mostly to free up the bookmark. I just found Gissing's prose here not great.
43 JR by William Gaddis. Finally completed my re-read of this. I had last given up just before the really great bits in the novel so this went by a lot quicker.
44 Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad. Love that Conrad
45 And We Sold the Rain: Contemporary Fiction from Central America edited by Rosario Santos. 1989 collection of short (really short!) stories meant to show Central America is more than the land of coups and death squads. The stories are mostly about coups and death squads. The eponymous story about IMF intervention is A+.
46 Chromatic Cinema: A History of Screen Colour by Richard Misek. I went for this hoping it'd have more detail on the technical aspects of colour film and, while there was a little of that, it's mostly about the artistic uses. Included a chapter in the middle, moving from notable "colouration used to denote a change in time", discussing where chronologically offset scenes do not make any special use of colour. And a lot of discussion of the Van Sant Psycho, glad to see that film found an audience in FilmCrit.
47 The Echo Maker by Richard Powers. Mel rec'd this, and seems to really like it, and I cannot understand what he sees in it. A painfully dutiful older sister of a no-goodnik is summoned back to flyover country after he's had a car crash, developing one of those interesting head injuries you hear about in Oliver Sacks books (namely, he thinks she's an impostor). Just as you're thinking that along comes an Oliver Sacks stand-in (I think one of his books is called "The Man Who Confused his Spouse for a Chapeau") to bitch about book reviewer and to show off Power's research. Now I don't know if the real Sacks family talk about Pair Bonding whenever they hug, but I pity them if they did. The author flies in and out, the brother recreates an uneasy detente with his now alien loved ones, and the sister picks up both old ex-boyfriends at once, while being bedevilled by a super sexy but mysterious nurse, one part of a ludicrous mystery of a scrawled note which I think was meant to upgrade this tome to a page turner. I didn't find the prose very good (the only thing that I remember now was Powers swerving to avoid saying the word Toblerone) and I didn't piece together what makes this a fable of our fragmented world. Sorry Mel. 14
48 A Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava. I read this in parallel because apparently it's Gaddisean, which I reject. I might venture to label it as Wallacean but no further. Basically this book would be great if you find extreme verbosity, in and of itself, very funny. It's not a dog eat dog world, it's a kennel of canines of cannibalistic carnivorousness. Everybody talks like that, or maybe there's just one guy who never shuts up, I'm not sure. The book shines when de la Pava is discussing issues of law. As you'd expect from a professional public defender he's got a mastery of the subject and can spin a debate about whether a van can be labelled a building or not for pages and pages, and it's all fascinating in spite of the extremely grating tone. But the majority of the novel is much less gripping, sort of madcap antics you find in a bad Pyncheon book.
49 North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Took the opportunity of the last two books making this one seem short. Much better than Cranford in that you think that she had something to say.
50 Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow. I was sort of dreading this because it's a 50s american author's africa novel but it's pretty good! Self-loathing pig farmer and pig-man learns to be miserable with better grace. Or something like that.
51 Passions by Isaac Bashevis Singer as translated by various. I should read these again.
52 I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It's weird how the men in this are innocent fools and the source of all intrigue is feminine. I'd call it an unreliable narrator but I don't think Claudius' character is interesting enough for that. Still a fun book of intrigue.
53 Carpenter's Gothic by WIlliam Gaddis. I must admit I read this again just to tick off the airport fiction challenge, but it struck me much more favourably than the last time I read it. I mean, it's still got authors yelling about fundies but there's a lot of beautiful stuff here.12
54 Howard's End by E.M. Forster. Ya I can see why this is the most favoured Forster. Better than Where Angels Fear at least.
55 The Steal Flee by N. S. Leskov as translated by someone or other. Did the Penguin. Sure this is 40 pages in large font on small pages, but this came in a bound volume that cost someone 60p and was shoved in front of my nose to see if I got it or not. I didn't, really, I mean it was very funny but I couldn't tell you who Leskov was. I guess if someone pushed a larger volume of short stories in front of me I'd read those happily.
56 The Prime Minister volume 1 by Anthony Trollope. A book of two very vaguely connected stories: Lord Palliser, duke of Omnium, he of the tonne of Palliser books that came before, finally gets to assemble a cabinet and form a government and stuff it with every other walk-in and bit-part from those books, with Phineas Finn as the Irish secretary. Occasionally they chat about the corn laws or whatever. Meanwhile, a sinister speculator develops a galloping case of semitism as he tries to marry into a very old, rich family. He goes from having "perhaps a trace of hassidic heritage" to being the greasiest, most scheming jew-boy to ever sell a harp on the street (like they all do) as the news of his suite echoes down the members of this awful family of landowners. Claims that Trollope is poking fun at other's anti-semitism are only slightly hurt by him actually being a bit of a rotter.
57 The Prime Minister volume 2 by Trollope again. Now having married this fairhaired young rose of England, this swarthy swine proceeds to lose a fair bit of money speculating on guano and African liquer, embarrass the Prime Minister, before stepping in front of a train (really good bit to read in isolation, check the gutenberg for "Tenways"). Then the book goes on for another two-hundred pages. I must confess these two came bound in one volume but they restarted the page numbers and I'm juking the numbers.
58 Towards The Radical Centre: A Karel Čapek Reader as edited by Peter Truss, with translations by various. After being so sold on Newts I must say this was a bit of a disappointment. Two things this reader brought to the fore is how terribly domestic Čapek was and that he couldn't write women and shouldn't try. Now domesticity is all well and good but when there are numerous essays about what his cat might be thinking, or a gardener's relationship with the soil, I really must object. As for the women, though Russom's Universal Robots has some of that fun stuff that made Newts so good, its first act has a woman who comes to the factory hoping to proselytise to the robots about the common good, before meeting the factory board who explain she is a very silly woman after all. Having conceded the fact that she's ever so silly, the CEO or whatever of RUR explains that she simply has to marry him, or another of his board of directors, because they are all simply head over heels in love. The curtain falls as they all advance on her and, after the interval, we find her celebrating her ten year wedding anniversary. It's also... not that well structured a play? Neither's the Markropolous Affair (good liberetto though) but The Mother was an acceptable Ibsen-like, surprisingly.
59 The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. I still like this.
60 Woodcutters by Thomas Bernahrd as translated by David McLintlock. Got this back from the person I lent it to ages ago. Bernard's so good. 1
61 The Scapegoat by Daphne DuMaurier. I only really kept plugging on with this one because I needed to return it. Dream-like plot about being his French doppleganger's replacement just didn't interest me.
62 Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin as translated by James E. Falen. Always a great anxiety about saying you've read poetry in translation. A very sensitive introductory essay though.
63 Selections from the Rev. Francis Kilvert's Diary edited by William Plomer. A surprise! Kilvert is a fluent and very engaging diarist, writing about his life priesting for a remote Welsh village in the last quarter of the 19th Century. I'd really reccomend people to read this one.
64 Short Friday and other stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer, translated by various. He really is a baffling author. Need to read some criticism of him.
Rites of Passage by William Golding. Lords of the Flies with adults, on a ship. I dunno, I'm still unsure what makes this guy so great.
65 Riders in the Chariot by Patrick White. High-falutin book which tries to haul the crucifixion, with all mysteries intact, out to Australia. I guess I didn't give it a fair hearing.
66 The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. I reread this very quickly. Still got some great images of beauty there.
67 The Riddle of the Sands by Irskine Childers. Well written adventure novel.
68 The Sword of Dawn by Michael Moorcock. A badly written sci-fi one.
69 We by Yevgeny Zamyatin as translated by Bernard Guilbert Guerny. A much better one.
70 The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. I've bounced off this text a few times before, totally my fault. I guess I need to re-read this, I did like the violence of emotions and all that.
71 The Limeworks by Thomas Bernahard as translated by Sophie Wilkins. One of the big Bernhards I avoided in my unsystematic approach. He remains fantastic though I'm not sure if Wilkin's translation stands up. What do I know though, it didn't contain any howlers.. I'm counting him as a musician by the way, and nobody can stop me. 9
72 Dope Girls by Marek Kohnn. Brief history of the start of drug prohibition as told through a case-history of a series of women, almost all of whom end up dying from an ovrerdose. Most of the work is kicking apart the sensational and ignorant reporting of the time, which might count as fish in a barrel. For example some pulpy popular policeman falsely claimed to have seen a dealer crossing the street when he'd been in prison for years. Still, entertaining enough.
73 The Horse's Mouth by Joyce Carey. Mad old painter likes Blake and Spinoza, never has enough readies available to finish any paintings. An enjoyable farce but not the best thing I've read about mad painters.
74 The Mirror of the Sea by Joseph Conrad. Just up close, plotless discussions of how tall ships were sailed. I picked up a copy of Melville's White Jacket which is the same thing, coincidentally. Anyway, love that Conrad.
75 Don Carmusso by Machado de Assis as translated by John Gledson. I was really excited when I picked up this book and flipped through a page or something of sparkling prose but when I got to the end of it I realized I'd actually read some of this guy before, Epitaph of a Small Winner. I loved him then too! If more of this guy falls into my hands, I wouldn't hate it!.

76 David Lean by Kevin Brownlow. Comprehensive biography about the Lawrence of Arabia guy. I'm not sure it was quite necessary to leave in every anecdote of him yelling at someone who edited his film wrong, or a second, unrelated party confirming that he did do that. Also Barlow puts down every little kink of his personality to being raised a Quaker. But it's a big fun book for anyone even slightly interested in Lean it's worth a heft. 6
77 Hebdomeros by Giorgio de Chirico as translated by many (but some by John Ashbery). I picked this up mostly because I felt I had been ignoring Ashbery, before reading the first page of A Nest of Ninnies cured me of that for a while. Hebd wanders around, seeing things, and occasionally he makes remarks.
78 House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. Loved it. Tragedy rolled on loosely w/out the mechanical determinism of Hardy but still it rolls
79 A Gardener's Year by Karel Čapek. It was translated by someone but I don't have the thing in front of me and forgot to note it down. Very gentle, of course, it's about gardening, and filled w/ observations like how people say "it's never been so cold!" a lot, but there's something there.
80 William Gaddis: His Life and Works by Joseph Tabbi. How to handle writing a biography of an intensely private person? I guess a warning sign should have been Gass on the back-cover saying how respectful it is. Why Tabbi troubled to track down and talk to those that knew him if only to get on his high-horse and say "anecdotes will have to die with them!" So after doing an admirable job hammering out Gaddis' forebears (on the mother's side), this slim book that's embarrassed to go any further instead phases into Tabbi's criticism. It's also unbalanced because the cyberpunk thinks R. was good practice for JR, and the following 3 can be forgiven the man who wrote JR. I also caught quite a few howlers, like stating Richard Yates was buoyed up by the filming of his novel... 16 years after his death. 15

So I guess I am doing that lame thing of writing up a human as an animal. Well when I saw that the last one's new, how could I balk at that? And one of these things has to have been banned, right? The nazis loving loved banning books, they must have disapproved of just one, surely?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 28, 2016

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Last update for this year, so I'll list all my books and my top ten read books of the year. Overall, I read a lot of books I did not enjoy this month, one reason is I did not anticipate reading 84 books, so I had to dig deep to find some books the last two months. It was a fun challenge and I read more this year than any other year, by a significant amount.

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez
The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson
My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennet
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
Warlock by Oakley Hall
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemmengway
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North
The handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The March of the Ten Thousand by Xenophon
The Dubliners by James Joyce
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
A Little Life by Hanya Yangihara
To Kill A Mockingbird by Lee Harper
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Wolf In White Van by John Darniell
How to Be Both by Ali Smith
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Death Comes for the Arch Bishop by Willa Cather
My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
The Story of a New Name by Elena Ferrante
Patriot Games by Tom Clancy
Strong Poison by Lord Peter Wimsey
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami, Haruki
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway
The Vegetarian by Han Kang
Those who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante
The Sellout by Paul Beatt
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Boy's Life by Robert McCammon
The Fireman by Joe Hill
The Accidental by Ali Smith
The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante
End of Watch by Stephen King
His Master's Voice by Stannis Lem Law
A Secret History by Donna Tart
The Girls by Emma Cline
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Grendel by John Gardner
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Chimpanzee by Darin Bradley
The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Stoner by John Williams
At the Mountains of madness by HP Lovecraft
Butcher's Crossing by John Williams
Aquarium by David Vann
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Seed Collectors by Scarlett Thomas
Signs preceding the end of the world by Lisa Dillman
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack
Death's End by Cixin Liu
The Black Count by Tom Reiss
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
1984 by George Orwell
Right Ho, Jeeves! by P.G Wodehouse
The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet
Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Woman in the Dunes by Kobo Abe

78. King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild
Again, non-fiction isn't captivating me, so I didn't enjoy this as much as I should have. It was interesting, but a chore to read unfortunately.

79. A Hed Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
I really liked this. It wasn't perfect and had some parts that I disliked, like the blog posts, but I liked the story and it had some neat twists. It was a quick easy read.

80. Concrete by Thomas Bernhard
I thought this was okay, and interesting how the story unfolded. It starts out sounding like a struggling author who just had a vist from his sister who he spends pages and pages saying not so nice things about, but as the atory unfolds, it reveals a much more complicated and interesting story. It's all told from first person and he slowly reveals his real persona.

81. Silence by Shūsaku Endō
I loved this book a lot. It's about a time when Christianity and those who practice and attempt to spread it are banned in Japan. A pair of Portuguese priests sneak in to Japan to help the Christians who practice in secret because all other priests have been killed, or rumored to have disavowed Christ. I thought it was an interesting story and a nice bit of history.

82. Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
I didn't enjoy this and barely remember it now.

83. Tai-Pan by James Clavell
After reading this I am questioning whether or not I would enjoy Shogun if I had read it now. I really did not like this book, and in reading it, recognized a lot of the same story telling techniques are used in Shogun as well, and they are things that really annoyed me. Anyway, I don't have much to say about this, other than it took me a week to read and I was extremely dissapointed.

84. Germline by T. C. McCarthy
This was fine, it's a sci-fi novel about war, and the narrator's draw to not only staying in the war, despite not being required to, but also his seeking it out, and his uncanny abiluity to survice situations where everyone else dies around him. He also ends up falling in love with clones that are women bread to fight the war.

Top Ten of the year:
1) Stoner
2) The Name of the Rose
3) Aquarium
4) How to Be Both
5) 1984
6) My Brilliant Friend
7) The Vegetarian
8) To Kill A Mockingbird
9) Grendel
10) Warlock

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 28, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm gonna leave this thread opened till like the 10th of January. After that it's gonna be locked.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I'mma finish off the year: #35 - #88. I only got 90 / 120, but there was a period this year where I completely stopped reading, which didn't help.

36) The Book of Strange New Things – Michel Faber. 4/5.

37) Daytripper – Fábio Moon. (Amazing artwork). 5/5.

38) A Brief History of Seven Killings – Marlon James. (Holy Jamaican slang, Batman). 4/5.

39) The Book of Memory – Petina Gappah. 4/5.

40) A Slip of the Keyboard – Terry Pratchett. (I miss Pterry. Bloody Alzheimer’s). 4/5.

41) Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography – Chester Brown. 3/5.

42) Paper Tiger: Inside the Real China – Xu Zhiyuan. 4/5.

43) Harrow County vol. 1: Countless Haints – Cullen Bunn. 4/5.

44) Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic – Alison Bechdel. 4/5.

45) ODY-C, vol. 1: Off to Far Ithicaa – Matt Fraction. (Beautiful artwork but hard to follow story). 3.5 (4)/5.

46) The Silk Roads: A New History of the World – Peter Frankopan. 4/5.

47) Showa 1939 – 1944: A History of Japan – Shigeru Mizuki. 4/5.

48) Y: The Last Man – The Deluxe Edition Book Four – Brian K Vaughan. 4/5.

49) Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman – Lindy West. 5/5.

50) The Snow Queen – Joan D. Vinge. (Best Novel Hugo winner 1981). 4/5.

51) Shell-shocked Britain: the First World War’s legacy for Britain’s mental health – Suzie Grogan. 3/5.

52) Anya’s Ghost – Vera Brosgol. (A.k.a. Be wary of stalker ghosts). 4/5.

53) We Stand on Guard – Brian K. Vaughan. 4/5.

54) DMZ vol. 1: On the Ground – Brian Wood. 4/5.

55) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry – Gabrielle Zevin. 4/5.

56) Orlando – Virginia Woolf. (Time travelling gender bending). 4/5.

57) Niagara Falls All Over Again – Elizabeth McCracken. 4/5.

58) The Good Soldier Švejk – Jaroslav Hašek. (Mildly racist pre- and during World War One shenanigans. Was planned to be twice as long had the author not died early). 4/5.

59) We3 – Grant Morrison. 4/5.

60) Deadly Class, Vol. 1: Reagan Youth – Rick Remender. 5/5.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
The rest of what I read:

61) The Trees – Ali Shaw. 4/5.

62) Panther – Brecht Evens. (Beautiful artwork but a bit too weird for kids). 4/5.

63) Authority – Jeff Vandermeer. (I can kinda see why people were disappointed in this book after Annihilation). 3/5.

64) The Eighth Day – Mitsuyo Kakuta. 4/5.

65) The Body Where I Was Born – Guadalupe Nettel. 4/5.

66) Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women – Harriet Reisen. 4/5.

67) A Thousand Naked Strangers: A Paramedic’s Wild Ride to the Edge and Back – Kevin Hazzard. 4/5.

68) Storyteller: The Life of Roald Dahl – Donald Sturrock. 4/5.

69) It Was The War of the Trenches – Jacques Tardi. 4/5.

70) The Vegetarian – Han Kang. (Winner of this year's International Booker Prize). 4/5.

71) Kindred – Octavia Butler. 4/5.

72) Gilgi – Irmgard Keun. 3/5.

73) Cat Country – Lao She. (Not so much about cats, but a political allegory for 1930s China that isn’t wildly different from modern-day China). 4/5.

74) Lud-in-the-Mist – Hope Mirrlees. (Proto-Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Certainly closer in style and substance than Sorcerer to the Crown, which was good but lightweight). 5/5.

75) The Female Man – Joanna Russ. 4/5.

76) The Romanovs: 1613 – 1918: Simon Sebag Montefiore. 4/5.

77) The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms – N. K. Jemisin. 5/5.

78) Where Am I Now? – Mara Wilson. 4/5.

79) The Anchoress – Robyn Cadwallader. 4/5.

80) Out – Natsuo Kirino. 4/5.

81) The Underground Railroad – Colson Whitehead. (I've read a few books about race recently. I wonder why). 4/5.

82) A Closed and Common Orbit – Becky Chambers. 4/5.

83) The Girls – Emma Cline. 3/5.

84) The Game of Kings – Dorothy Dunnett. 4/5.

85) Midnight Robber – Nalo Hopkinson. (Sci-fi Caribbeans). 4/5.

86) The Crimson Petal and the White – Michel Faber. (Neo-Victorian doorstopper, albeit with more sex than actual Victorian novels). 4/5.

87) The Sellout – Paul Beatty. 4/5.

88) This Is the Way the World Ends – James Morrow. (I wonder why I have to read books about potential nuclear disasters? Thanks a bunch, Trump). 4/5.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Started the year off strong with 1I, Claudius and 2Claudius the God by Robert Graves. I won't add pointless adjectives to their well-deserved piles of praise, but one thing that's rarely noted, I think, is the major change in tone between the first,narrated by Claudius the mousy, persecuted dweeb of an aristocrat who escapes death only because he is widely perceived as an idiot, and the second, in which Claudius Caesar willingly succumbs to the same egotism and blindness he had observed in his predecessors—from a dissociated, ironic distance within his own mind. Cool.

3. The Traitor Baru Cormorant: I listened to this by audiobook over the course of a 14 hour car trip. A few disconnected and remote thoughts since I disliked it and didn't dwell on it much. It relies too heavily on a sort of non-twist that is telegraphed ages in advance (and confirmed by the title). The audiobook narrator is breathy and melodramatic and even mispronounces the main character's name, apparently. The main character is a sort of lesbian Alan Greenspan and the book's exposition dwells far too long on simplistic Econ 101 garbage. The fantasy baddies calling homosexual women "tribadists" never, ever gets less awkward to hear.

4. The Blind Assassin, on the other hand, was lovely. Its big reveal is also telegraphed, but in a natural way, as you gradually realize subtle inconsistencies between the (several) interweaving narratives, some real, some fictional—no one is written to shoot *unreadable looks* across dinner tables or some other HBO poo poo to give the reader a jab in the ribs, because the writer is herself a character genuinely aiming to deceive. This is Margaret Atwood, and much is made of the sci-fi, but the real meat is in the second-level frame narrative around the sci-fi tale, the novel-within-a-novel also titled The Blind Assassin and attributed to the main character's deceased sister. If I had one complaint, it would be that Atwood dwells too long in the top-level narrative of the old woman without giving us a reason to care about her—she grew on me eventually, and it pays off, but there were a couple places when the tedium almost made me put the book down for good. Actually, nevermind. Just typing this makes me realize that the tedium of the old woman's life is part of the point. I'll stop complaining.

5. Pound/Joyce is just the correspondence of Ezra Pound with and about James Joyce. These people really knew how to write a letter, and Pound's uncensored early reactions to Joyce's work include gems like:

quote:

It is the ten years spent on the book, the Dublin 1904, Trieste 1914, that counts. No man can dictate a novel, though there are a lot who try to. And for the other school. I am so drat sick of energetic stupidity. The 'strong' work . . . balls! And it is such a comfort to find an author who has read something and knows something. This deluge of work by suburban counter-jumpers on the one hand and gut-less Oxford graduates or flunktuates on the other . . . bah! And never any intensity, not in any of it.

6. John Paul II's encyclical Fides et Ratio gives a clear and erudite perspective on the philosophical underpinnings of liturgical Christianity. Like most modern encyclicals, though, it stops short of taking what might be called a confrontational stance on particular issues, despite making it clear that the author holds a strong view on such-and-such philosophical question.

7. Augustine's Confessions. I'm sure everybody makes the same comment, that Augustine was awfully horny for a Church father. The translation I read was awkward, but it was a library book and I can't remember which one it was.

8. I might be cheating by claiming The Complete Stories of Flannery O'Connor. I skipped around a lot to hit her most famous ones first ("Parker's Back," "A Good Man is Hard to Find," "Good Country People") and then filled in haphazardly based on how cool I found the titles. So I'm not sure I got them all. In any case, I came away reeling. Powerful stuff. Most of what I remember are connections I made to Faulkner and Woodrell's stuff. Goddamnit, I really shouldn't have waited until the end of the year to write these up. If you've pegged me as a Catholic from these last three, by the way, you're wrong. I just follow a free-associative plan of reading and have a lot of Catholic friends. After I told them I had finally given in and read O'Connor, those same friends recommended

9. Orthodoxy, in which G.K. Chesterton pontificates in a clever, uniquely British sort of paternal-polemical tone that must warm the hearts of those already inclined to agree that, yes, Jesus lives and he's Catholic... but ultimately says not much of lasting value.

10. Changing gears, on a lark I read Marshall McLuhan's The Medium is the Massage, the full effects of which I have yet to realize. Medium itself and his essays collected in 11The Essential McLuhan came along at a shockingly appropriate moment in my life, as Donald Trump's tweets were taking the news media by storm and I was returning to school full-time for a humanities degree. McLuhan simultaneously sensitized me to the media onslaught of the election and inoculated me against its worst effects, since I was able to identify what bothered me and put it into writing or, even better, turn it off.

...and there's no way I'm finishing this post today. Jesus. I'll try and wrap it up in the next one, maybe save the blurbs for my favorite books.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Bandiet posted:

1. The Stranger by Albert Camus
2. Sonnets by William Shakespeare
3. One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
4. Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
5. Hunger by Knut Hamsun
6. City On Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg
7. The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka
8. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat
9. Kafka Translated by Michelle Woods
10. Some Haystacks Don't Even Have Any Needle, compiled by Stephen Dunning
11. One Of Us by Åsne Seierstad
12. Once On A Time by AA Milne
13. Scenes From Village Life by Amos Oz
14. Hystopia by David Means
15. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
16. The Black Swans by Margaret Scott
17. L'Assommoir by Émile Zola
18. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
19. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
20. The Book of Tobit edited by Carey A. Moore
21. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
22. The Hatred Of Poetry by Ben Lerner
23. Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
24. Guide To Kulchur by Ezra Pound
25. Mr Cogito by Zbigniew Herbert
26. Amerika by Franz Kafka
27. Watt by Samuel Beckett
28. The Marvels by Brian Selznick
29. The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot
30. Elfin Rhymes by 'Norman'
31. Death To The Pigs and Other Writings by Benjamin Péret
32. The Worst Boy In School by Michael J. McCaffery
33. The Enormous Room by E.E. Cummings
34. Death In Venice by Thomas Mann
35. Monologue Of A Dog by Wisława Szymborska
36. The Sorrows Of Young Werther by Goethe
37. The Book Of Songs, translated by Arthur Waley
38. Selected Poems by Ezra Pound
39. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Vanilla Number: 39/75
Read Something YA: The Marvels
Something written by a woman: Kafka Translated
Something written in the 1800s: Hunger
Something History Related: One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovitch
Read a long book, something over 500 pages: One Of Us
Read something about or set in NYC: City On Fire
Something recently published: Hystopia
That one book you've wanted to read for a while now: The Blind Owl
The First book in a series: My Brilliant Friend
Read something from the lost generation: Winesburg, Ohio
Read a banned book: Madame Bovary
A Short Story collection: Kafka's Complete Stories
Something Written by a nonwhite author: Book Of Songs
A work of Science Fiction: Frankenstein

40. We Found A Hat by Jon Klassen. The best of his 'hat' trilogy, and the best picture book I've read in years. Brilliantly developed and beautiful illustrations.

41. Standing Water by Eleanor Chai. Really personal poems that didn't interest me.

42. Lotte In Weimar: The Beloved Returns by Thomas Mann. Insanely good, and underrated in Mann's bibliography. It is outside the box, considering that most of his novels stretch over huge amounts of time. This is mainly a character study of Lotte from Young Werther, as an old woman, plus all the adoring fans that she has conversations with throughout the day.

43. Last Stop On Market Street by Matt de la Peña. It was good, but it definitely should not have won both the Caldecott and Newbery. The illustrations are nothing special, and I still don't approve of the Newbery being awarded outside of middle grade.

44-46. The Caretaker, The Birthday Party, and The Collection by Harold Pinter. This was my first reading of Pinter. I don't really have a formed opinion of him yet. All three had extremely funny moments, but only The Caretaker really had an impact. The Collection felt like a throwaway and The Birthday Party tried too hard. It's all over the place.

47. Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. Some great vivid moments - the meeting with Anny stands out... I really don't buy that philosophy poo poo though.

I'd never counted how many books I read before so the vanilla number was a long shot. I'm also pretty cut up that I didn't get to read any airplane fiction this year. :/

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Final update, because it's less than 14 hours left of the year and I have to watch the kids for most of that time so am exceedingly unlikely to finish the book I'm currently reading before 2017 begins.

Previously:

1. White Line Fever by Lemmy Kilmister.
2. Slåttekar i himmelen by Edvard Hoem.
3. Half the World by Joe Abercrombie.
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.
5. I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage by Susan Squire.
6. Anabasis by Xenophon.
7.-9. The Apocalypse Triptych: The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End has Come edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey.
10. Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck.
11. Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen by Lois McMaster Bujold.
12. Red Rising by Pierce Brown.
13. Demon Dentist by David Walliams.
14. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
16. Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.
17. Doktor Proktors Prompepulver by Jo Nesbø.
18. Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer.
19. The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima.
20. Før jeg brenner ned by Gaute Heivoll.
21. Billionaire Boy by David Walliams.
22. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
23. The Quiet Game by Greg Iles.
24. The Vegetarian by Han Kang.
25. Maurtuemordene by Hans Olav Lahlum.
26. Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald.
27. Destroyermen: Blood in the Water by Taylor Anderson.
28. Gangsta Granny by David Walliams.
29. The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross.
30. The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
31. Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees.
32. Ratburger by David Walliams.
33. Sønnen ("The Son") by Jon Nesbø.
34. Svein og rotta i syden by Marit Nicolaysen.
35. Døden ved vann ("Death by water") by Torkil Damhaug.
36. Ildmannen ("The Man of Fire" would be a good translation) by Torkil Damhaug.
37. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.
38. Stoner by John Williams.
39. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
40. Thornghost by Tone Almhjell.
41. The Boy in the Dress by David Walliams.
42. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse.
43. Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay.
44. Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
45. Jerusalem by Alan Moore.
46. Se meg, Medusa ("See Me, Medusa") by Torkil Damhaug.
47. Sangen om den røde rubin ("The Song of the Red Ruby") by Agnar Mykle.

New:

48. It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis. BOTM for December. 1935 novel about a Fascist takeover of the USA, set in the then-immediate future. Loved this, it was concise and funny despite also being grim as gently caress.

49. Doktor Proktors tidsbadekar by Jo Nesbø. Norwegian children's book (target age maybe 8-12, it's several hundred pages of mostly text). Read it aloud to the 8-year-old. #2 in an ongoing series about a moderately insane inventor and his two primary-school sidekicks. This one involves time travel across a lot of mostly French history, in an attempt to fix the inventor's tragic failed romantic past. Funny but a bit forced, relies a bit much on poking mostly good-natured fun at French clichés (the main villain is even named "Claude Cliché").

50. Babylon's Ashes by "James S.A. Corey". #6 in the Expanse series, felt very much like "#5, part 2" and was a cracking good read. Ties most plot threads up pretty neatly although we all know there are more sequels coming.

51. The Big Book of Science Fiction edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. Have read this in bits and pieces since it came out this summer, just finished a few days ago. A huge anthology of what must be more than a hundred SF short stories (and a few excerpts from novels) from across the whole of the 20th century. Sorted chronologically; the editors selected a lot of stories from outside the common or garden-variety English-language market, many of which were originally translated for this collection. A good number of Latin American stories, etc. Plus of course a number of more familiar names. They've tried to represent many different stages and directions in the evolution of the genre and while I can't say every story was exactly entertaining as such, nearly all were at least interesting. Bonus points for also including a story from the recently-departed Norwegian writer Jon Bing (who was basically patron saint of SF literature in Norway, wrote a ton of stuff from the 1960s onwards; his 1970s novels about a slower-than-light "library ship" travelling the galaxy gathering and disseminating knowledge have a big part of the blame for hooking me on SF in the first place). Highly recommended.

Currently reading Revenger by Alastair Reynolds but that'll have to go on the 2017 list.

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number - 51/40
2) Something written by a woman- I Don't, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, The Vegetarian, The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, Lud-in-the-Mist, Svein og rotta i syden, Thornghost, Bad Feminist
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author - Temple of the Golden Pavilion, The Vegetarian, Bad Feminist
4) Something written in the 1800s - Three Men in a Boat, Plain Tales from the Hills
5) Something History Related (fictional or non-fiction your choice) - Slåttekar i himmelen, Anabasis, The Name of the Rose
6) A book about or narrated by an animal - Thornghost
7) A collection of essays. - Bad Feminist
8) A work of Science Fiction - much of The Apocalypse Triptych, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen, Red Rising, Half a War, Acceptance, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon, others
9) Something written by a musician - White Line Fever
10) Read a long book, something over 500 pages - The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game, goddamn Jerusalem, The Big Book of Science Fiction
11) Read something about or set in NYC - Kitchen Confidential
12) Read Airplane fiction (Patterson, ect) - Sønnen definitely qualifies for this
13) Read Something YA - Half the World, Red Rising, Half a War, Thornghost
14) Wildcard! - I Don't
15) Something recently published (up to a year. The year will be the day you start this challenge) - Half the World, Half a War, Children of Time, Luna: New Moon, Babylon's Ashes, The Big Book of Science Fiction
16) That one book you’ve wanted to read for a while now. - Three Men in a Boat
17) The First book in a series - Red Rising, The Quiet Game, Luna: New Moon
18) A biography or autobiography - White Line Fever, Før jeg brenner ned, arguably Kitchen Confidential
19) Read something from the lost generation (Fitzgerald, Hemmingway, ect.) or from the Beat Generation - Sweet Thursday, It Can't Happen Here
20) Read a banned book - Sangen om den røde rubin
21) A Short Story collection - all volumes of The Apocalypse Triptych, The Big Book of Science Fiction
22) It’s a Mystery.- The Name of the Rose, The Quiet Game, Maurtuemordene, Sønnen, Døden ved vann, Ildmannen, Se meg, Medusa

Additional individual challenge:

Norwegians: 11/10
Non-fiction: 5/5
Max re-reads: 2/5

BONUS INDIVIDUAL CHALLENGE: What the hell, I've followed the BOTM for both January and February; I'm going to keep doing that for the rest of the year. (Escape clause: Will reserve the option to skip books I've already read.) 12 for 12 on this.

All done. Ready for next year (have joined the 2017 challenge with pretty much the same parameters).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I have 9 1/2 hours to read 120 pages of my last book to meet my target and I'm busy because it's NYE in Scotland where we're obsessed with it :(

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
You can do it, Larry! I believe in you!

(But it's okay if you don't. No pressure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Been neglecting this for months, but a final update is in order:

Kallocain by Karin Boye: A dystopian novel inspired by the author's experiences with Nazism and Soviet Communism. In the year 2000, an oppressive dictatorship uses a truth serum to make citizens reveal their innermost secrets. Somehow not very memorable, I certainly recall far less from this novel than from the similarily themed 1984.

So You Don't Get Lost in the Neighborhood by Patrick Mondiano: read this due to the author being a Nobel Prize winner. An older writer living in Paris goes off exploring his own past, like a small scale version of In Search of Lost Time. A short novel of a hundred pages or so, the characterisation of the protagonist is well done, but as a whole it left little impression on me.

Who Censored Roger Rabbit? by Gary K. Wolf: an absurdist take on the hard-boiled detective novel, this book is quite unlike anything else I have read. It has very little in common with the film based on it, but the surreal nature of the setting and the abilities of the toons makes for an entertaining read if you like absurd humor.

L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy: this hard-boiled detective novel is well crafted, but seems very cliched in its execution. The basic plot seems similar to many other detective stories and the characterisation seems quite flat. One character is a brutish thug, the Mexican woman speaks perfect English except for words like "puto", and so on. It is pretty well known, especially after they made a pretty good film based on it, but on the whole it seems like a generic detective novel.

The Wall by Marlen Haushofer: a middle-aged woman finds herself trapped behind an invisible wall in the countryside, and soon after it seems that everyone on the outside dies. Finding herself the seemingly only living human left on the planet, she spends the next years tending to the fields and some animals she adopts. Basically, she sheds most of the trappings of modern civilization and finds contentment in the daily effort to survive. It is somewhat repetitive, but the psychological characterisation makes the novel worthwhile reading.

Some more history books:

Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe by Norman Davies: Essentially a series of essays on polities that do not exist anymore, the various chapters are uneven in quality. On the whole quite interesting, but probably only for those who already are interested in the subject matter.

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard: a popular account, readable but lightweight. Hard to remember any details.

Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy by John Julius Norwich: in the same vein as the above, a history of the papacy consisting of chapter on the selected popes and what they had to deal with during their reigns. Too little information to impart any decent insight into the subject matter.

Booklord challenge:

1) Vanilla Number 24/40
2) Something written by a woman Woman at point Zero, Kallocain, The Wall, SPQR
3) Something Written by a nonwhite author Woman at point Zero
4) Something written in the 1800s The Kreutzer Sonata
5) Something History Related The Great Big Book of Horrible Things + 7 others
7) A collection of essays Why I am not a Christian
8) A work of Science Fiction Kallocain
12) Read Airplane fiction L.A. Confidential
18) A biography or autobiography The Arab of the Future Part 1 & 2
21) A Short Story collection For the Good of the Cause

• Locked thread